PDA

View Full Version : Playing a sandwich?!

Vorpal word
2009-04-10, 08:36 PM
I got this from a friend, basically it allows a high-level psion to play as an inanimate object (ie. a sandwich)

Here's how:

1. Polymorph a sandwich into a human (temporarily)
2. Use true mind switch on said human
3. Walk into the middle of a cavern complex, preferably filled with hungry, low-level monsters (kobolds are ideal)
4. Wait until you turn back into a sandwich
5. When the hungry kobolds show up, blast away for easy XP :)

And you know what the best part is? Even if they get to you, you can always true mind switch with one of them.

Jølly
2009-04-10, 08:40 PM
I've seen this before but it always makes me giggle. For some reason I picture a psionic overlord atop a massive pyramid surrounded by worshipers and then it zooms in to a sentient sandwich. I think of weird things... :smallredface:

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-10, 08:40 PM
I got this from a friend, basically it allows a high-level psion to play as an inanimate object (ie. a sandwich)

Here's how:

1. Polymorph a sandwich into a human (temporarily)
2. Use true mind switch on said human
3. Walk into the middle of a cavern complex, preferably filled with hungry, low-level monsters (kobolds are ideal)
4. Wait until you turn back into a sandwich
5. When the hungry kobolds show up, blast away for easy XP :)

And you know what the best part is? Even if they get to you, you can always true mind switch with one of them.

Yeah, this has been around for awhile. I remember finding this online when I first got into dnd.

BobVosh
2009-04-10, 08:55 PM
I've seen this before but it always makes me giggle. For some reason I picture a psionic overlord atop a massive pyramid surrounded by worshipers and then it zooms in to a sentient sandwich. I think of weird things... :smallredface:

Lol this made me thing AvP where the aliens are racing up the temple/pyramid to get the last few preds on a hunt...except a sandwich is mind thrusting them.

*edit* This is definitely food for thought.

Irate Ranger
2009-04-10, 09:00 PM
You could be a great deal many things with that trick.

But what would happen if someone where to tear the sandwich apart and bury all the ingredients on separate parts of the planet?

Jølly
2009-04-10, 09:01 PM
Lol this made me thing AvP where the aliens are racing up the temple/pyramid to get the last few preds on a hunt...except a sandwich is mind thrusting them.

That's more or less the pyramid I was thinking. :smalltongue:

Faleldir
2009-04-10, 09:07 PM
Could you use True Mind Switch on an object that is mobile, deadly and virtually indestructible, such as a Sphere Of Annihilation?

Quietus
2009-04-10, 09:09 PM
Could you use True Mind Switch on an object that is mobile, deadly and virtually indestructible, such as a Sphere Of Annihilation?

Only if you Polymorph it into something with a mind first.

Of course, as soon as it reverts to its normal form, it takes its normal int..

Katrascythe
2009-04-10, 09:11 PM
I wonder more about what would happen with a sandwich that was in a more compromising environment like by a river? Would the person take damage if the sandwich got wet? It's not like they can breathe...

BobVosh
2009-04-10, 09:16 PM
You could be a great deal many things with that trick.

But what would happen if someone where to tear the sandwich apart and bury all the ingredients on separate parts of the planet?

A fellowship must be made to reassemble the one true sandwich, to save us all! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacGuffin)

arguskos
2009-04-10, 09:19 PM
Damn you, the puns, they are painful. :smallsigh::smallwink:

Irate Ranger
2009-04-10, 09:21 PM
A fellowship must be made to reassemble the one true sandwich, to save us all! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacGuffin)
What? Just to save some Psion who was being stupid?

Katrascythe
2009-04-10, 09:37 PM
One pickle to rule them all, one salami to find them, one tomato to bring them all, and in the darkness toast them?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-10, 10:42 PM
For a way that doesn't turn all your stats to 0, I recommend using Animate Object+Permanancy+Awaken Construct(SpC)+True Mind Switch. Then at least you get mental stats.

ChaosDefender24
2009-04-10, 11:06 PM
If you took Leadership and got someone strong to carry you around, you'd be the unstoppable force... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMfzUZNXRbE)

Jack_Simth
2009-04-10, 11:15 PM
Damn you, the puns, they are painful. :smallsigh::smallwink:
I'm sure you're just eating them up.

But yes, you could do that (or something like it). I'm a bit more fond of True Mind Switching something that has a set of abilities you like - Regeneration, Fast Healing, DR, natural Flight, and so on.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-04-10, 11:20 PM
There's one problem with being a sandwich. How do you stay fresh? Your bread will get wet and either fall apart of grow mold. Your cheese will dry out. Your deli meat will spoil. Your olive on a toothpich will grow mold. How does a sandwich, even a psychic sandwich, survive in a world without plastic bags and refridgerators?!

Jølly
2009-04-10, 11:24 PM
There's one problem with being a sandwich. How do you stay fresh? Your bread will get wet and either fall apart of grow mold. Your cheese will dry out. Your deli meat will spoil. Your olive on a toothpich will grow mold. How does a sandwich, even a psychic sandwich, survive in a world without plastic bags and refridgerators?!

Start off with a magic sandwich?

BobVosh
2009-04-10, 11:34 PM
I'm sure you're just eating them up.

I don't think he is relishing them.

Gentle Repose?

Hmm. Maybe his mage friend can cast genesis that makes a plane where sandwiches don't go bad...

Arbitrarity
2009-04-10, 11:36 PM
If you took Leadership and got someone strong to carry you around, you'd be the unstoppable force... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMfzUZNXRbE)

Win. Whitespace

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-04-10, 11:37 PM
Start off with a magic sandwich?

How in the heck does that even work! A sandwich isn't a weapon! It can't get an enhancement bonus!

Jølly
2009-04-10, 11:43 PM
How in the heck does that even work! A sandwich isn't a weapon! It can't get an enhancement bonus!

Start off with a magic weapon then turn it into a sandwich?

BobVosh
2009-04-10, 11:43 PM

Enchant it as a shield.

Ooo, mind swap into a dancing sandwich. You could move then so long as some one wields you in the off times.

streakster
2009-04-10, 11:46 PM

It can if its masterwork. Obviously someone needs to ketchup on the rules.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-04-10, 11:46 PM
How...what...hell...DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE!

*head asplode*

monty
2009-04-10, 11:51 PM
It can if its masterwork. Obviously someone needs to ketchup on the rules.

Now I'm tempted to play a character with lots of ranks in Profession (chef) who makes masterwork sandwiches.

BobVosh
2009-04-10, 11:52 PM
Now I'm tempted to play a character with lots of ranks in Profession (chef) who makes masterwork sandwiches.

I made MW cobblers. Noone ever ate them, so much prejudice againist my poor doppleganger :(

streakster
2009-04-10, 11:53 PM

Rye not? Of course, you'll have to name him Arthur Dent.

monty
2009-04-10, 11:54 PM
I made MW cobblers. Noone ever ate them, so much prejudice againist my poor doppleganger :(

Masterwork shoe repairmen? Of course nobody ate them; most people aren't cannibals!

Rye not? Of course, you'll have to name him Arthur Dent.

Well, of course.

Jølly
2009-04-10, 11:57 PM
+2 dancing unholy flaming burst sandwich...I'm drooling just thinking about that deliciousness.

Human Paragon 3
2009-04-11, 07:59 PM
There's another way to gain this ability without psionics. A 6th level master of many forms can transform into a tiny abberation and gain all its extraordinary abilities.

A mimic is an abberation that can appear as any mundane object of about its size. By shapeshifting into a tiny mimic you can then take the form of the sandwhich.

monty
2009-04-11, 08:53 PM
There's another way to gain this ability without psionics. A 6th level master of many forms can transform into a tiny abberation and gain all its extraordinary abilities.

A mimic is an abberation that can appear as any mundane object of about its size. By shapeshifting into a tiny mimic you can then take the form of the sandwhich.

True, but pretending to be a sandwich is nowhere near as awesome as actually being a sandwich.

Vorpal word
2009-04-11, 09:15 PM

True, but you'd be too low level to mind wave the foolish kobolds who came to eat you.

BobVosh
2009-04-11, 11:11 PM
hmm with the psionic sandwich you will actually have Illthids wanting to eat a sandwich as much as a human. Odd.

sonofzeal
2009-04-11, 11:17 PM
hmm with the psionic sandwich you will actually have Illthids wanting to eat a sandwich as much as a human. Odd.
More, since most of these sandwich-swoppers are usually in the top 5 percentiles for humanoid intelligences.

Fcannon
2009-04-12, 02:44 AM

It might be more complicated than that; I've heard some vague allusions (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/12/10/) to a set of sandwich making rules.

BlueWizard
2009-04-12, 04:59 AM
Crazy Psionics

BobVosh
2009-04-12, 08:46 AM
More, since most of these sandwich-swoppers are usually in the top 5 percentiles for humanoid intelligences.

Actually...if the psion is putting himself into the sandwich....how intelligent can he be?

daa18
2009-04-13, 08:25 PM
All this sandwich talk is making me hungry. Which begs the question, what happens if someone tries to eat the sandwich? Does the character die when someone takes a bite out of it or do they take damage equal toe that persons bite attack damage.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-13, 10:56 PM
Especially with a human...that could be hilarious.

A human bite attack does...ummm...like...1d2? 1 size smaller than an unarmed strike? Help me out.

So the psion manifests biofeedback, becoming the super hard cafiteria sandwich of doom!

:smallbiggrin: :nale:

EDIT: Allright, cut it out with the puns, we're all toast now.