PDA

View Full Version : comments on my encounter (3.5)

Froogleyboy
2009-04-10, 11:11 PM
I used an encounter tonight that my players seemed to enjoy but I'm not sure if it was legal. I would also like to know your opinions on it. What had happened was they were trespassing in a wizards mansion (they needed to kill him) when they reached his study the door was blocked by a strange gelatonous cube covered in colored squares. They did many intelligance (sp?) checks and figured out that you could twist the cube. They did a couple strength checks and lined up the colors and made each side one color. The cube began to move around the room so they could pass. They discoverd that the wizard who made the cubes name was rubik :smallbiggrin:

ChaosDefender24
2009-04-10, 11:17 PM
It's not exactly a demanding encounter, because once you figure out that you can move the tiles it's rather downhill from there - if common sense doesn't lead you to put all the colors on one side, trial and error will. Although reducing the mechanical effectiveness of the encounter for the sake of delivering a message (whether it be a joke, foreshadowing, etc.) can be effective as well.

BobVosh
2009-04-10, 11:37 PM
The easiest anwser is it was an illusion.

Or the wizard researched one of the most pointless spells ever.

A wizard did it is always an anwser.

Crow
2009-04-11, 10:28 PM
What would be "illegal" about that encounter? It sounds like you came up with a great way to put an easy puzzle and some humor into your game. Kudos to you.