PDA

View Full Version : Bodyguard Prestige Class? [3.5]

Rhiannon87
2009-04-11, 02:11 PM
Does such a thing exist? Basically I'm looking for a PrC designed around guarding another individual. I'm messing around with high-level cohort builds (...don't ask), and I was wondering if there was something like this, or if I should just build a fighter with some very specific feats. I'm thinking of the Guardian feats in the Drow of the Underdark book, for starters.

On a related note: are there any prestige classes for adviser types? My other 16th level cohort is a straight-up adviser, and I'd kind of like to be able to do something a bit more interesting with the character. No casting, though, so Loremaster is out.

Thanks in advance!

Waylor
2009-04-11, 02:20 PM
There was one in the "complete" 3.0 series (sword and fist? not sure) not strong but full of flavor and nice bonuses

Graymayre
2009-04-11, 02:20 PM
The Dwarven Defender PRC is built for the sole purpose of... defending.

The only problem is that it does not have abilities that force other characters to attack it. Some gaming groups have added a "Taunt" skill to give people like that an ability to attract danger.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-11, 02:58 PM
Knight is pretty good for this. It's the only way to make someone attack a specific target that I know.

streakster
2009-04-11, 03:06 PM
Cruuuusader!

It's a tanking PrC that's really hard to damage, and forces enemies to pay attention to it, and grants bonuses to allies. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

It's in the ToB. Now, it is a base class, but that's really just a 20-lvl PrC that you qualify for at level one. Also in that book is the Deepstone Sentinel - a defensive class I am not familiar with. Might be worth a look.

wadledo
2009-04-11, 03:07 PM
Knight is your best bet.
In addition, there are several PrC's that would help a little, but they're all considered sorta belck.

As to adviser, I'd say look for Changeling PrC's.
There's one that basicaly turns the Changeling in to a weak doppleganger, from Races of Eberron, that sorta fits what you want.

ChaosDefender24
2009-04-11, 03:18 PM
The death's chosen prestige class in Libris Mortis is the only one I know of that's bodyguard-flavored, but aside from its 1st-level ability it's quite terrible to that end. I'm a fan of the deepstone sentinel, it combines the tanking measures of the crusader with a souped-up version of the knight's rough terrain thing and a bunch of easy ways to make your enemies fall on their faces.

Although I think I'm going to have to go with wizard on this one. Nothing disperses an angry mob better than a nauseating cloud, and nothing stops an assailant like a wall of force. If worse comes to worst, you can always teleport your master away, or turn him invisible, or whatnot. You also have your typical shut-down spells to make your enemies suffer, but you might want to summon things if you want to make the kill. Malconvoker, perhaps?

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-11, 03:39 PM
Either Knight or Crusader could work. Crusader would use Thicket of Blades+Reach+Standstill to prevent enemies from moving around him, plus he has healing and a couple of manevers that directly aid another person.

quick_comment
2009-04-11, 06:20 PM
Sword and fist has a devoted defender prc that allows you to absorb alot of attacks and stuff for your charge.