PDA

View Full Version : ARE YOU A COWARD? Then this is not for you. [Item]

DaMullet
2006-08-20, 10:54 PM
Foldbox

This device is a small cube, about 6 inches to a side. When the lid is opened, anything which fits inside can be placed within. When the lid is closed, the sides "unfold" as a Standard Action to one foot, then to two feet, then three, four, five, six, seven, eight, and ten. They refold to the next size down as a Standard Action as well, until it reaches the minimum size of a 6 in. cube.
At any time, you can stop folding and open the lid, once again placing inside anything that fits. The box weighs 10 lbs. plus the weight of all it's contents at that size, however, items contained within the other sizes are not measured. Items within are not held in stasis, and spell durations continue to expire.
If a Foldbox is placed in a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The Foldbox, the bag, and any creatures within a 10 foot radius are drawn there, with the foldbox and bag being destroyed in the process.
If a Foldbox is placed in a portable hole, then a rift to the Astral Plane is opened in that place, and both the hole and the box are lost forever. While the Foldbox weighs little for mundane transport, any form of magical transport (Teleport, Dimension Door, Plane Shift) counts the Foldbox at 10 lbs. plus all it's contents at every size.

Strong Conjuration; CL12, Craft Wonderous Item, Leomund's Secret Chest, Shrink Item; Price 15,000g

There you have it, cookie for the reference, and any suggestions are welcomed, especially regarding price and prerequisites.

Spasticteapot
2006-08-21, 02:28 AM
Foldbox

While the foldbox weighs little for mundane transport, any form of magical transport (Teleport, Dimension Door, Plane Shift) counts the Foldbox at 10 lbs. plus all it's contents at every size.

A 10' x 10' x 10' cube is huge!
You could cram 1,000 cubic feet of gold in there.

As a side benifit, it can be used as a dimensional anchor of sorts; you're much harder to teleport when you weigh ten tons!

Dark
2006-08-21, 06:22 AM
I don't understand the title.

But I did notice that there's no option for making the box smaller again :)

The Demented One
2006-08-21, 09:28 AM
Glory Road, eh?

DaMullet
2006-08-21, 04:11 PM
Indeed. And I guess I forgot to specify that it works both ways. I'll edit that in, Dark. Thanks.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-21, 06:00 PM
The Foldbox acts as a Bag of Holding if it is placed within a Portable Hole, and a Portable Hole if placed in a Bag of Holding.
My assumption is that you mean it goes boom if placed in either item. I'd suggest spelling that out a bit more clearly (as written, someone might misinterpret it).

Perhaps:

If a foldbox is placed in a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The foldbox, the bag, and any creatures within a 10 foot radius are drawn there, with the foldbox and bag being destroyed in the process.
If a foldbox is placed in a portable hole, then a rift to the Astral Plane is opened in that place, and both the hole and the box are lost forever.
Price wise, it's a bit tricky. It's heavier than a portable hole, but if you keep the smallest size empty, it's only 10lbs. And in exchange for having some weight, it holds more than a portable hole (and is way better in this regard than any bag of holding). The anchoring effect, otoh, cuts both ways. It may save you from a detrimental transport, but it makes benign or beneficial transports a pain.

Personally, I think it's better than any bag of holding. For beneficial transports, a smart party can shift things around to minimize the penalty associated with the foldbox. It does become a big problem for emergency transports, so I'd make it less than a portable hole. That puts it somewhere between 10,000gp and 20,000gp; I'd start with splitting the difference at 15,000gp for now, though I'm kind of leaning towards that being a bit on the low side, given how potentially life saving the anchor effect can be. Needs playtesting before I could say for sure, and I don't really have a group that will be near the right level any time soon.

I think the creation requirements look good.

DaMullet
2006-08-23, 05:19 PM
Thanks, Gorbash. Changed it.