PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Shapeshift Druid Variant

Eldan
2009-04-12, 12:52 PM
I like the basic idea behind the shapeshift druid variant, namely limiting forms available and giving stat boni instead of the animals stats, which, in theory, makes it much more balanced. What I don't like are two things: a) losing the animal companion and b) losing the ability to swim, fly and so on.

Now, after thinking about it, what do people think on limiting the shapeshift form to a set number of times per day again, and in exchange giving back the animal companion and allow a few more forms, like an aquatic form, a winged form, perhaps something like a cheetah for really high speed, a digger and a few others?

Ashtagon
2009-04-12, 01:24 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78186

So good I bookmarked it. The feats at the bottom of the first post in there really flesh out the shapeshifting class feature and fix your second issue. I'm a bit iffy on some of the new forms though, but that's more a flavour issue than a balance issue.

As for the first issue of yours (losing the animal companion), I consider that very reasonable. Druid is ridiculously overpowered anyway, and removing the animal companion is just a step toward rebalancing it.

hiryuu
2009-04-12, 01:28 PM
There is a winged form already, and floating around here on these boards is a series of feats, one of which is an aquatic form.

And here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) is the animal cohort article, which has rules for grabbing an animal companion by anybody. You could homebrew up a feat to grant it the same progression as a druid, or you could drop a few of the meaner forms, or reduce it from a swift action to a full round, or something.

Ooh, ninjafied.

Eldan
2009-04-12, 02:04 PM
I see. Well, that's just about perfect. Thanks a lot, I think that finally settles the issue for me: this variant replaces the normal druid.

BlueWizard
2009-04-13, 03:58 AM
The Blue Wizard pokes his head in, and then goes screaming away like a mad man before recovering.

Eldan
2009-04-13, 08:10 AM
What's so bad about this?

Sjiriki
2009-04-13, 08:59 AM
What's so bad about this?

Uhm... As the dude who only registered here to post his love for the new shapeshifter forms...

"Now, after thinking about it, what do people think on limiting the shapeshift form to a set number of times per day again, and in exchange giving back the animal companion and allow a few more forms, like an aquatic form, a winged form, perhaps something like a cheetah for really high speed, a digger and a few others? "

That sounds a lot like this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm)druid.

And some people HATE that druid.

Eldan
2009-04-13, 09:06 AM
I see. Well, not really. The thing was just that I wanted a limited set of forms, now, with that set of feats linked up there, I'll just use those with the shapeshift variant. It still wouldn't be the normal druid, which can still turn into dire superanimals with enormous strenght values.

Sjiriki
2009-04-13, 09:16 AM
I see. Well, not really. The thing was just that I wanted a limited set of forms, now, with that set of feats linked up there, I'll just use those with the shapeshift variant. It still wouldn't be the normal druid, which can still turn into dire superanimals with enormous strenght values.

Look: As long as you make new shapes (BALANCED shapes) it's good, s long as you restrict acces. The example given, aquire new shapes through feats is good. I like the part about the animal companion, since it is one of the coolest features there is (I just like wolves)

But the biggest advantage, besides the swift action to shapeshift is the unlimitedness. My druid is the scout. He scouts through flight. In combat, he flies towards the enemies acane caster, does a diving charge, and shifts back to human form to full-attack the caster in the next round, or shifts to predator form for some extra punch in lower-level games.

Shapeshifting offers tactical flexibility. With a single swift action, you gain the ability to fly, the ability to dig, poison, run fast, to bite. You can adapt to meet the circumstances. All because of the two combined MAIN features of shapeshifting. They are:

A) Shifting is a swift action

B) Shifting can be done an unlimited times per day

Removing B makes it just... worthless. What's the use of having the ability to fly towards a caster, if you know you'll be in trouble when you meet him, since it'll be your last shift? You would shift to predator form, and be some kind of fake tank. All because of the limited times of shifting per day.

Eldan
2009-04-13, 09:30 AM
I see. Makes sense, then. Though, as I said, I'm not using the thing I thought up in the first post, just the normal variant with those feats.