PDA

View Full Version : Second Start

Pages : [1] 2 3

MGuy
2009-04-12, 07:00 PM
It was a dank place. The kind of place no one would want to be, so people came here not to be found. The towering Spires in Galera hid dark secrets at the shadowed bases of its great towers. The First Stop Inn was one of those places. So here you found yourselves. For various reasons swimming amongst the filth.

[Don't post here until you've been introduced]

MGuy
2009-04-12, 08:41 PM
It was a meeting of minds and mysteries. The three seated at the corner of the ugly place huddled together, books and papers before them seeking to form an alliance through which they might unravel some of the mysteries of their life. Tia to find what she can of the book and what it holds there-in, Nerrick to find himself, and the researcher Caradoc who had the tools they needed and the interest in learning that might guide them to their answers.

[Start by introducing yourselves to each other with short description of how you look. You all know Caradoc is a researcher.]

Ezeze
2009-04-12, 08:56 PM
Before I start describing how she's acting... [roll0] Edit: Well... ****.

Tia smiles "It's a pleasure to meet you, Caradoc." then gestures at her other companion. "What did you say your name was?" She is a beautiful young woman with thick, dark hair that billows downwards to frame a delicate, heart shaped face. Her skin is dusky, and she is dressed exotically with elaborate bracelets clanking at her wrists with every movement. Even in this dark place, her eyes catch the candle light and throw back brilliant reflections. She leans forward towards the researcher, idly running a finger over her lower lip. Her voice is strangely melodic, but when she speaks her teeth and tongue are revealed - both are black.

Steward
2009-04-13, 06:44 AM
Caradoc Gwent leans forward in his chair at Tia's words. "Likewise!" He replies, his voice going up that extra octave it usually does whenever he gets eager. The halfling is short and slight -- like most of his kin -- and dressed in a woollen shirt and breeches. In his lap is a wide-brimmed traveler's hat and cloak that he had taken off as he entered the inn. His brown hair falls in ringlets over his round face and every so often he would have to reach up and smooth it back.

Prince_Selm
2009-04-13, 08:24 PM
Well, this certainly seems like a fun group of people! My name is Nerick, but I don't believe we've ever caught your name.

Says the young man sitting in the other seat as he gestures at Tia. He is fairly tall and lean. Perhaps too lean, like he is weak and sickly. He is dressed in rather nice clothes, for a commoner, and is wearing an artist's smock. His bright, crimson red hair only reaches just past his ears. A small crystal floats above his shoulder.

I must insist, however, that we do get on to business. I am on a schedule, albeit a bad one.

He has a joking quality to his voice, like he thinks everything is funny.

MGuy
2009-04-13, 11:53 PM
[Roller: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5992953#post5992953
OOC thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5992973#post5992973]

Another guest appears at the table (unexpectedly for Caradoc); a female by your first glances.

Guancyto
2009-04-14, 01:01 AM
"I agree," the female in question says, grabbing a chair without so much as a how-do-you-do. She flips back her hood, revealing a young, fair face with clear blue eyes. Her fiery red hair drapes to her shoulders, with a pair of braids down one side threaded through some tarnished jewelery.

At the moment her worn travelling clothes are covered in dirt, as though she has been attacked by the dust clouds of an entire caravan at once.

She continues, "this will be fun. 'Bess' will do."

Ezeze
2009-04-14, 03:27 PM
Tia raises an eyebrow "what will be fun?"

Guancyto
2009-04-14, 04:20 PM
"I don't know exactly," Bess replies, propping her feet up on the table, "But the signs pointed to 'Long Road,' 'Hidden Knowledge' and 'Inevitable Violence,' so I figure there should be something good."

"The knowledge part would be... you, right?" she says to Caradoc.

Steward
2009-04-14, 04:53 PM
Caradoc laughs. "I certainly hope so, Bess! As you can see, I am not long and I try to avoid violence." When he thinks harder about what Bess just said, his smile turns into a puzzled frown. "Did you say... inevitable violence? Why, that can't be right. What sort of person would want to obstruct my quest or harm any of you, my friends?" At that, he rummages through his pack and produces a few sheafs of paper and an inkpen. "And please, feel free to go into detail!"

Guancyto
2009-04-14, 05:50 PM
Bess smiles. "I wouldn't put too much stock in it, honestly," she says mildly, "Sometimes the future reveals itself in subtle ways to people who look, and sometimes it's only a few boiled leaves. Or burned incense. Or birds flying."

"We can talk about it later, of course," a certain eagerness punctuates her voice at the idea, "but, didn't someone mention they were in a hurry?"

Prince_Selm
2009-04-14, 07:04 PM
That would be me...

I mean about the need to hurry! Not about the harming you!

He sound like a child that just said something really stupid. If fact, now that that metaphor has been presented, you notice that Nerick is still a teenager.

I'll be right back...

He excuses himself in a hurry, heads to the bar, grabs a drink, and reclaims his seat.

So, on to research...

Steward
2009-04-14, 08:58 PM
"Mmhmm" Caradoc murmurs as he scribbles down what Bess says. "Future... can be told... through boiling birds... incense... flying leaves...". After he finishes his scribbling, he pauses, then adds Bess's name and a date in the margins of his paper. He looks up just as the young man, Nerick, returns with his drink. "Alcohol! I really should try some of that one day!". He declares, eyeing the other man's drink avidly. "According to legend, alcoholic beverages is supposed to confer great strength and boundless confidence to its drinker. Of course, that could just be a myth. Someone should really do some research on that!" He springs up out of his seat and strides over to the bar. Moments later he returns, clutching the most powerful beverage he can afford.

Ezeze
2009-04-14, 09:33 PM
Tia eyes the drink and asks, in a concerned voice "... and you've never had alcohol before?"

Guancyto
2009-04-15, 05:41 PM
Bess looks from the large drink to the tiny halfling and stifles a giggle. "I guess you do get what you pay for..."

Steward
2009-04-15, 05:57 PM
"Mmhmm... research..." Caradoc murmurs as he sizes up his drink carefully. With a nervous gulp, he begins drinking in the way that only someone who has never had anything stronger than fountain water at a monastery can. He finishes about a fourth of his drink before slamming back down on the table.

He wipes off his mouth with the back of his hand. "Very interesting..." He murmurs. "Heehee, I almost forgot to ask! What brings you all to this part of the world?"

Do I have to make a Constitution check to survive this??

Ezeze
2009-04-15, 06:47 PM
"I was hoping to get your help in finding... Well, that can wait, if you have other matters to attend to." Tia eyes Bess nervously.

MGuy
2009-04-15, 07:46 PM
[Need a fort save for that drink Steward, alcohol IS a poison ^.^]

Prince_Selm
2009-04-15, 07:52 PM
Nerick blushes.

Well... This isn't actually alcohol, it's just water...

He looks at his feet, too embaressed to go on.

Steward
2009-04-15, 08:39 PM
Er... Fortitude Save:

[roll0]

MGuy
2009-04-16, 01:03 AM
[not even tipsy]

Guancyto
2009-04-16, 07:50 PM
"Ha! You'll get to be a man yet," Bess guffaws.

"Now come on," she reaches out, takes the halfling's pint and sets it down in front of herself, "you can experiment with getting sloshed when there aren't clients waiting on you."

MGuy
2009-04-17, 08:40 PM
[Ok I'm not seeing any posting here. If this doesn't pick up I'm either gonna retcon non responsive players out of it or just start another game.]

Prince_Selm
2009-04-17, 09:53 PM
(I'm here! I just don't want to definitively say anything until I know if there is any "Interference" or not.)

Well, I might as well get started.

I'm searching for a person... Well, I assume he's a person... Well, I assume its a he... called "The Lost King".

Any ideas?

Steward
2009-04-18, 07:06 AM
"Lost King, eh?" Caradoc may not be drunk, but the alcohol has dulled his nervousness somewhat. "There might be something here in one of my notebooks about that..." He reaches into his pack and fishes out a few sheafs of crumpled, soggy paper. "Lost... lost.... can I get a lost king..."

Not sure what the Lost King would fall under; can I make a Knowledge History check?
[roll0]

MGuy
2009-04-18, 12:47 PM
[yeap or arcana would do it too, whichever would be higher]

Despite his search, he finds no notes of a "Lost King"

Ezeze
2009-04-18, 04:39 PM
(Not sure what you want us to be doing. Aside from seeking Caradoc's help, there is no reason for us to be working together. You set it up so that Tia, Bess and Nerick are competing.)

Steward
2009-04-18, 04:50 PM
"Never you mind, gents--," Caradoc chirps as he continues searching anyway. "I have taken copious notes so far; there has to be something here that you can use!"

I didn't think of checking for Arcana. Heck, if I can I'll try Nobility and Royalty -- "Lost King"!"

[roll0] - Know (Arcana) check
[roll1] - Know (Nobility and Royalty) check

I think I'm allowed to use different Knowledge skills, but if I'm not, then disregard!

MGuy
2009-04-18, 05:20 PM
[Plenty of reason for you all to work together. If you all converse enough you all should find a major problem(s) in your little dealing here. It's what character development is all about. Nobility doesn't cover this particular knowledge and you don't have any arcane notes on him either.]

Steward
2009-04-18, 05:55 PM
Caradoc looks up sheepishly. "It looks like I really haven't come across anything on this Lost King." He grins. "Hence the name, I imagine!" He crams his notes back into the messy, disorganized pile from whence they came and takes another swig of the drink that Bess confiscated. "Of course, that doesn't mean that no-one else has any useful information. I'm on the way to the Librarium of Oghma -- they should have some of the information that you're looking for.

Thinking back, he remembers that Tia had been on the verge of asking for something else. "Anyone else have any other questions?"

Guancyto
2009-04-18, 06:08 PM
"Really, you should be more specific? A Lost King could be a lot of things." Bess had been busying herself with carefully straightening and laying Caradoc's various notes out to dry as he put pages down. Apparently the idea of keeping her hands off other people's possessions is not one she's taken to heart.

Of course, all this is undone as the researcher gathers his information back into its shambled pile. "But..." she looks at Caradoc with consternation; knowledge is a thing to be valued!

"Anyway. I had a friend who disappeared with his girl a while back. No trace of either of them ever again, and I sort of got the feeling she was some sort of demon. Does that sort of thing happen a lot, and is there any way it wouldn't end badly for him?"

She shrugs. "Basically I'd like to know if I need to kick someone's butt, or is there a chance, however small, that he's all right. If you've got anything on it."

(Edited for ninja-post!)

Steward
2009-04-18, 06:40 PM
Caradoc feels a surge of confidence, at least in part brought on by alcohol. "Demons, eh? Off the top of my head, that sounds pretty suspicious. I haven't met any on the road, but there are have to be a couple of notes in my pack." He pulls out some more sheets and dumps them back on the table in front of him.

Demons, eh!? Well,
[roll0] <== Knowledge (The Planes)
[roll1] <== Knowledge (Religion)
I'm not sure exactly what a demon falls under...

Prince_Selm
2009-04-18, 09:58 PM
Oh... well, thank you anyway.

He remains vacant during the last 2 posts.

Oh my god, I've made a terrible mistake!
He throws up the hood of his cloak, obscuring his face.
I'm sorry. To all of you. I shouldn't have come here. They could go after you next. I was a fool for seeking help!

He gets up to leave.

Thank you for your help though! The Library of Hog-ma might have the answer, you said?

He seems really nervous. Like someone will jump out of the shadows at him any minute.

MGuy
2009-04-18, 10:31 PM
[Well you have heard of demons before, but the information she has provided isn't enough to come up with anything specific whether it is in your notes or not.]

Ezeze
2009-04-19, 12:28 PM
"Calm yourself." Tia speaks with quiet authority. "What do you mean come after us?" She pushes his chair back out with her foot and gestures for him to sit again. "If the damage has been done do not leave us in ignorance. Caradoc is no doubt accustomed to knowing dangerous things, while Bess and I can take care of ourselves. Where knowledge is the problem, ignorance is not the solution."

Steward
2009-04-19, 04:22 PM
Caradoc nods in accord with Tia's admonishment. "Ha ha, yes! There are many dark and sinister secrets hidden within these pages!" He declares, holding up a handful of crumpled sheets. "But you can't be afraid of knowing too much! Besides, as the Abbot of the Grey Monastery used to say, 'You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know.'"

"Although," Caradic says after a brief pause. "You do have an excellent point. The answers to our questions lie not in this place, but at the Librarium of Hogma--er, Ohgma. Perhaps we should continue forth."

Guancyto
2009-04-19, 07:15 PM
"Nothing, then? Oh well," Bess doesn't seem bothered by either the lack of information, or that the guy next to her is being pursued by a deadly secret society who might kill her for having sat at a table with two people who didn't know much. And Tia.

"I'll come with you," she decides, "if only because you know where it is."

Steward
2009-04-20, 09:41 PM
"Ha ha, yes! Because your experiences with me so far indicate that I know exactly where I am going!" Caradoc grins broadly and rises to his feet. In the process, he nearly knocks over his drink. While he straightens the mug, he looks around at the others around the table. "So would you prefer to tarry here until tomorrow, or leave right now..?"

Ezeze
2009-04-20, 10:10 PM
Tia looks coldly at Caradoc and says quietly "you have not even heard the reason I sought you out." She slips a ring from around her finger and offers it to him. Pressed into its surface where a gem might be is instead an ornate design reminiscent of heraldry. "I have been told this is the seal of a man named Cyrus Marshal, but I have my reasons to be suspicious of that. I'd like to find the truth in the matter and, if possible, the man himself." Her face betrays very little emotion, and she offers no possible motivation.

Steward
2009-04-21, 02:25 PM
Caradoc blushes as he sits back down. In his embarassment over not being able to help the previous two questioners, he had completely overlooked Tia and her reason for coming here. Without any further ado, he takes the offered ring and peers at the peculiar sigil emblazoned on its surface. "Hmm..." He murmurs, hoping to sound sage. "Upon first inspection, this appears to be a heraldic symbol -- I encountered a few of these in books once, back at the Grey Monastery. Did you know that, according to legend, a southron warrior used to use a pink hog as his heraldic sigil? It was said to represent--," Caradoc pauses, realizing that this story might not be completely necessary. "So you say that it belongs to a man who calls himself 'Cyrus Marshal'? But you're not sure? So for all we know, it could be some mysterious language, or the sign of some other noble household somewhere else in the world."

If you don't mind, I think I'll make 2 checks
[roll0] - Knowledge (Nobility) to check if this symbol belongs to a well-known noble household or something of that nature and if Cyrus Marshal is a famous name.
[roll1] - Knowledge (History) to see if there is anything historically significant about the name or the symbol.

I hope I don't fail these...

Prince_Selm
2009-04-21, 03:22 PM
... I suppose you do have a point.

You all seem very capable... and enthusiastic.

And LORD knows that I'm going to need some help. I'm not exactly in peak physical condition.

He does look very sickly.
He returns to his seat.

Just remember... I warned you.

Oh, and not that I was expected to, but I can't say I'm familiar with demons or Marshals either.

Maybe Grockie though...

(MGuy, can Grockie make a knowledge check? If so does he tell me anything?)

Guancyto
2009-04-22, 02:17 AM
Bess smiles brightly at Caradoc. Too brightly. "If you don't know its location right now, I know this wonderful theory on blunt trauma as negative reinforcement applied to expedient research techniques, and I'd be happy to assist in testing its veracity until you have directions to your destination." That was unusually sesquipedalian. Maybe she's given that talk before?

Prince_Selm
2009-04-23, 03:47 PM
Nerick looks at her with a combination of inquery and fear.

This girl's kinda scary.
(Just in case anyone needs a reminder, Italized text is thoughts)

(Everyone post more!)

MGuy
2009-04-23, 06:55 PM
[Was gonna post this earlier (3 days ago) but my computer is broken so I may not be able to post regularly for a while. You'd have to ask Grock there if he WANTS to tell you anything. And yes I'm not doing much because as I said I let player's drive the story -.- So if you want the story to continue you actually have to advance the plot.]

Prince_Selm
2009-04-23, 08:23 PM
(That's what I meant by "Does he tell me anything", but I see what you mean.)

Well, I believe that it's a consensus to travel to that library. Since we probably have at least a full day of travelling to do, I would like to suggest that we retire for the night, and then set off tomorrow, our brains refreshed.

Any objections?

Hey Grockie, have you heard about any Demons or Marshals that match that description?

Steward
2009-04-24, 07:28 PM
"Rest for the night?" Caradoc feels nervous. "Well, if we are all in agreement, but I would have hoped to make some head way towards the Librarium before too long." Caradoc wants to assuage his guilt; he felt as if he had promised too much and let everyone down by failing to answer even one of their questions. If he can guide them to the Librarium soon, he thinks that he can help them with their work. And he might be able to head off Bess's opaque threat to his skull.

Prince_Selm
2009-04-24, 08:01 PM
Well, I wouldn't nessasarily object to starting now, but I would prefer to "Refresh" myself and "Replenish" my mind first.

He smiles like there is some inside joke that only he gets.

Guancyto
2009-04-25, 04:12 AM
"So you do know?" Bess' manner gets a lot less... imposing, and she pulls her feet back to sit up like a normal person. It's hard to say whether or not she can tell she's making the three of them nervous. "All right then. Not knowing three particular obscure, vague facts is one thing, but not having any idea where to find more? That's just wasting everyone's time."

"I wouldn't mind setting out in the morning, if you think 'they' won't come for you in the night," she agrees, still the picture of cheeriness.

Ezeze
2009-04-25, 09:50 AM
If Caradoc does not know anything about her ring, Tia holds out her hand towards him, fingers cupped, silently asking for its return.

Steward
2009-04-26, 01:42 PM
Caradoc carefully and deliberately hands her the ring back, anxious to avoid discharging any hidden curses within it. "We can agree on staying overnight, then?" He tries to conceal his disappointment. "We can take the time to rest and meditate, and I can try to rearrange my notes." Caradoc had been scribbling copiously ever since he had set off on this journey, and now his notes were a mess. Small wonder I can't find anything... He thinks to himself. Who knows, I might even find some information that I overlooked!

MGuy
2009-04-27, 04:05 PM
[I need conformation. Is everyone planning on bedding down for the night? Do you have a rendezvous point for the next day? Are you going to ask the researcher or the other s any questions? Though I can't post as often I would like now I would like some warning if everyone's going to just lose interest.]

Ezeze
2009-04-27, 10:00 PM
(ooc: It amuses me, in no small amount, that none of you know Tia's name. Nerick asked, but then Bess showed up and she never answered.)

Tia takes the old ring gently, like she is half afraid it will fall apart. "Staying the night would not be undue, if we are to set out for this Librarium together. It is far better to travel with the sun."

Prince_Selm
2009-04-28, 02:55 PM
Alright then, we should best depart for the night. Do you suppose we could get accomadations at this inn? I don't actually have a place to stay.

Hey that's right...
He mumbles to himself.

We never heard your name.
He points to Tia.

Or did you plan to remain anonymous?
He says, clearly joking.

Guancyto
2009-04-28, 05:14 PM
(OOC: Let's see if we can't continue that trend. =D)

"So we're agreed, then. Let's meet back here in the morning," Bess nods, standing and grabbing Nerick's arm. "Come on, you're with me," she hauls the sickly man to his feet as well, "we can find out about these hunters of yours as we travel, but it wouldn't do for you to be murdered in your sleep."

Steward
2009-04-28, 05:39 PM
"Capital idea!" Caradoc says wearily. "In fact, I think I want to stay out here in the bar area for a whilebs. To... er... continue my research into the mysteries of this alcohol." Caradoc feels relieved at having settled on a plan. Even though he was personally opposed to staying overnight, he does not fail to notice the potential opportunities that he could experience. At the very least, he can come up with some questions to ask his newfound travelling companions. Throughout this entire encounter, he had been on the defensive, trying desperately to answer difficult questions.

Prince_Selm
2009-04-28, 06:25 PM
Nerick is easily grabbed and pulled up.

Woah! Hey! Where are we going?

He tries to pull his arm away, but probably fails, I'll make a strength check for him anyway.

[roll0]

... I either don't know how to roll dice correctly, or I most certainly fail.:smallsigh:

Guancyto
2009-04-28, 07:38 PM
(Looks like that's rolled correctly, and just a natural 1. Result of nineteen here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6047521&postcount=4).)

Nerick tries his best, but his adversary is far too strong for him. In fact, he can feel the bones in his arm straining when he tries to resist."Don't worry," Bess is unlikely to be very reassuring, even if she were trying to be. She isn't trying to be. At all. "I can help protect you." She drags him to the innkeeper and barks, "room please!"

Prince_Selm
2009-04-28, 08:40 PM
Considering the rolls, I am going to assume that he is dragged quite literally across the room.

Woah! Hey!
He seems very embarressed by the whole deal.

Wait... room?

But you're a girl!

Guancyto
2009-04-30, 01:57 PM
"How good of you to notice!" Bess gives him a feral grin, "relax. If I'm going to make sure nothing terrible and unspeakable happens to you, that also means I'm not going to give you cooties."

Ezeze
2009-04-30, 03:44 PM
Tia opens her mouth to reply, but then Bess starts dragging Nerick away and she just watches with amusement. When the two have left she addresses Caradoc "I advise against trying to mix a long journey and experiments with alcohol. But that is your own choice to make. I will meet you here in the morning." With that she retires to her room alone.

Steward
2009-04-30, 06:41 PM
Caradoc inclines his head respectfully at her words. After he departs, he returns to the bar. Maybe I'll lay off the alcohol for a while... He thinks sagely.

If there is anyone remaining in the bar, Caradoc will spend [roll0] hours Gathering Information ([roll1]) of a general nature. He will take in any local news, gossip, or rumors floating around and if he has the opportunity he will aks if anyone has heard any news about the Librarium of Ohgma

MGuy
2009-04-30, 08:17 PM
[You do no gather any pertinent info about the town. Various rumors and legends abound, and you find out what happens if you can't take the alcohol, but otherwise you come up fairly dry.]

You all eventually find your way to your rooms one way or another. However you each find that your sleep is not as restful. Your dreams are wracked by your worst nightmares and you each wake up in a terrible sweat early the next morning. [Send your character's worst nightmares to me or post'em here if they reveal it to the others. Also how do you make spoilers?]]

You find the tavern to be much emptier then it was the previous night. You can actually see the hardwood planks that make up the floor. It is surprisingly clean.

Prince_Selm
2009-05-01, 03:38 PM
you do this [spoiler.] except without the period, and then when you want to end the spoiler you do this: (also without the period)[/spoiler.]

Nerick doesn't say anything to anyone, but at the end of his dream, he woke up while yelling

"JACQUELYN!"

very loudly. It is very highly likely that Bess heard him, and probably possible the others did as well depending on the thickness of the walls.

Guancyto
2009-05-01, 07:45 PM
Being in the same room and not sleeping well either, it would be difficult for Bess to not hear him.

She promptly (unless he'd like to resist, of course) dumps him in the hall along with all of his belongings. She says nothing, and the very sleepy scowl on her face doesn't fade for a second. Apparently being privy to vast conspiracies doesn't give a free pass to yell loudly in the morning. Or she isn't a morning person. Or both.

Prince_Selm
2009-05-02, 06:04 PM
She has no problem whatsoever throwing him into the hallway.

He grabs his pack and heads downstairs.

(Is is morning or still night?)

MGuy
2009-05-03, 04:26 AM
[It's morning]

Steward
2009-05-03, 09:03 AM
Caradoc wakes up; his fleeting nightmares of burning books and cackling, faceless creatures receding as the light of day pours into his rooms. Still shaken, he goes through his morning devotions. Then he straightens up and heads downstairs. "Might we go now...?" He calls as he arrives downstairs.

When he sees Nerick, he approaches him, grinning shyly. "Last night was just dreadful, wasn't it?" He says. "Or maybe it was just me..."

Prince_Selm
2009-05-03, 11:26 AM
Heh, you're telling me... You weren't alone.

He still seems badly shaken.

I would love to go, but we're missing two people and I know I'm not going to go wake Bess up.

Steward
2009-05-04, 04:23 PM
"Very well. I shall wake the others in your stead," Caradoc says gallantly. He marches halfway up to the other level of the bar before he realizes what he is doing and trots back downstairs. "Hmm... I can think of no reason why we should be in such a hurry!" Caraodc lies. He turns back to Nerick. "They ought to be down pretty soon, I think." He grips his quarterstaff and begins idly banging it against the floor.

Ezeze
2009-05-04, 08:51 PM
Binding Malphas again. [roll0] Will send you the details of Tia's nightmare.
Edit: AGAIN!? Was lucky enough to get through the first day without anything happening. Might not be lucky again today.

Tia is silent when she joins Caradoc and Nerick in the tavern. She nods to each of them, but otherwise exchanges no greeting. She's taciturn and sullen - of course, from what you've seen of the woman, that doesn't necessarily mean anything is amiss.

Guancyto
2009-05-04, 10:38 PM
Bess comes down only a couple of minutes later, pack shouldered and ready for travel. She seems a bit more subdued than the previous night, but the glint in her eye is still the same.

"Bad omens follow you," she says, pausing her stride as she passes the three on the way to the door. "Let's go. I'd like to hear more about these people of yours, and the walls have ears."

Ezeze
2009-05-04, 10:43 PM
Tia regards Bess darkly for a moment, and looks like she is going to say something cruel. Then she breathes deeply, and instead says "do you know which way we are going?"

Guancyto
2009-05-04, 11:36 PM
"No," Bess answers, "that's what Caradoc is for."

She stops, and appraises Tia for a moment as though seeing her for the first time. A little smile plays across her lips, "got something to tell me, mudlam kewba?"

Steward
2009-05-05, 04:02 PM
Caradoc smiles as he sees the other members of the group descend to the lower level. Any tensions between them go unnoticed as Caradoc is all too eager to get started. "You are right -- that is what I am here for -- to guide you to that... great font of knowledge that lies just over the horizon." He proclaims broadly. He frowns at Bess's next words. "Mud-lum? What does that mean? Is that some sort of omen?" He reflexively reaches for a pen and some parchment from inside his travelling pack. "Er... shall we walk as we talk?" He hurries over to the door and pushes it open with the butt of the staff, inviting the rest of his companions to move through.

Prince_Selm
2009-05-05, 04:11 PM
Yes, let's!

Nerick says as he hurries out the door to escape the two members of his party that he is afraid of.

So, how far is this place anyway? I'm not one for too long of a walk.

He coughs
I'm not exactly in the best condition.

Ezeze
2009-05-05, 11:12 PM
"No." It's not a concession, but nor is it a rebuke. The simple, curt phrase doesn't even recognize the possibility that Tia might have wanted to say something other than exactly what she said. True to her word, the dark haired woman falls silently into step behind Caradoc.

Guancyto
2009-05-06, 01:06 AM
"Hm," is all Bess answers to that, falling in line as well.

"And yes, it is. A star missing from its constellation. I wonder, though..." she trails off, watching behind them occasionally as they walk, "if it's not her at all, and a thread to this little weave of fate has yet to reveal itself."

(Spot and Listen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6075760&postcount=5), if they matter at the moment, or while they walk and talk.)

Prince_Selm
2009-05-07, 03:14 PM
Nerick tries to walk slightly ahead of everyone as to avoid the two ladies argue, but deciding that he would tire soon, he instead drops to the back, walking a couple feet behind the party.

You know, he never did answer how far this place is...

I'll do spot and listen too, just because (don't expect me to do wonderfully...)

Prince_Selm
2009-05-16, 04:15 PM
(Sorry about the double post, but I had to bump this somehow.)

Well, I don't suppose it matters anyway...
He jumps in trying to make conversation.

What's that about a star? Are you some sort of astronomer too?

(Come on everyone! Don't let this thing die!)

Guancyto
2009-05-17, 12:15 AM
( ! Oh hey, this thing!)

"I'm a lot of things," Bess replies, not looking back at Nerick, "but yes, that might be one of them. I'm sure you three are much the same way. It's too big a world to not have a few obscure skills, right?"

Steward
2009-05-17, 10:45 AM
"Indeed." Caradoc says, stroking his chin sagely. "And I cannot as of yet give you an exact distance. However, if we continue in this direction we will be there in due time. And a word of counsel -- the Librarium is an ancient and serene place, sacred to my profession. Do not remove anything from it without permission, and make sure that the place looks as nice when we leave as it did when we arrive."

Prince_Selm
2009-05-18, 07:07 AM
I can respect that.
He says, unclear to it's recipiant.

So, do you think there are monsters on the roads? I can hold my own in a fight, but I'm not exactly confident of my combat skills.

Steward
2009-05-18, 02:57 PM
Caradoc furrows his brow. "Monsters? What, you mean like ogres and goblins and demons? I should hope not. The Librarium is a peaceful and serene place of virtuous wisdom." In truth, he is unsure. His master, the Abbot of the Monastery, had not mentioned it even when Caradoc had asked him. But the Abbot had last visited the place many years ago. Who knows what the place might be like now?

"Nope, no monsters, I think. But I could be wrong." He mumbles to himself. He grips his quarterstaff just a little bit tighter.

Guancyto
2009-05-18, 03:51 PM
"Monsters?" Bess repeats pensively, "that's a funny word to use. There may be goblins, orcs, ogres or what-have-you, but they'd be highwaymen. Not monsters."

"A monster is something you have to kill or it'll kill you. A goblin can be bribed, bargained with, bluffed, bullied. A demon, well," she gives a little shrug, "that's what I'd like to find out."

MGuy
2009-05-18, 04:57 PM
[Sorry for my unexcused absence. I haven't been able to actually get online but I apprecciate that you've all been doing ewell without my assistance ^.^. However, currently both my machines are failing me and because of it I need another link to everyone's character sheets. I'm still getting my things settled and will have to take a look at my campaign notes but that shouldn't take any longer than this day.
To tie up a few ends Caradoc the librarium lies within the city of Bichora, no monsters inside the city of course. The road there may be another thing all together.
The journey will take you all a week on foot, half that on horseback.
Bess doesn't see anything out of place in that early morning. There are fewer people out and about in the bright morning sun and many places seem to be only recently opening up.]

Ezeze
2009-05-19, 09:55 PM
"You wont find a demon along the roadside." Tia glares at her companions and adjusts the strap of her pack. "They are hard enough to find when you are looking for them."

Guancyto
2009-05-20, 02:47 PM
One can almost see an exclamation mark go off over Bess' head. If any of the party wears a bandanna, smokes and regularly goes on sneaking missions, they might feel the urge to hide in a locker until Alert Phase is over.

"Really? So you've met some?" she accosts Tia, failing to hide her enthusiasm, "what are they like?"

Ezeze
2009-05-20, 04:25 PM
"Tricky. Evil. Not as patient as devils, but whether that makes them more or less dangerous I couldn't say."

Guancyto
2009-05-20, 05:36 PM
"I was looking for something a little more... detailed than that," Bess says, looking a bit disappointed, "but devils? What's the difference, exactly?"

Steward
2009-05-20, 06:03 PM
"Oh, that's an easy one. Devil's got a 'V' in it." Caradoc replies cheerily. He punctuates his joke with a hearty laugh. "Anyway, she is right. The Abbot never really encouraged talk of demons and devils back at the Grey Monastery. We were free to study them on our own, but he thought that it was wisest to have a... healthy respect for our... friends in the outer darkness." He continues. "Certainly, we won't see one here."

He smiles as he remembers something a brother at the monastery once said to him. "Your devils must be wise, Lady." He says to Tia. "As a great sage once said: He who hath patience can have what he will..."

Ezeze
2009-05-20, 07:15 PM
"They are hardly mine." She snarls the last word, offended by Caradoc's comment. "But respect and ignorance do not well co-exist." To Bess she says "Demons - balors, succubi, mariliths and the such are beings of chaos. Devils, on the other hand, are beings of law."

Guancyto
2009-05-20, 07:39 PM
Bess nods to Tia with a conspiratorial look, "I hope we can discuss it in more depth sometime soon, away from sensitive and," she pauses, considering something, "respectful ears. I'll need to know much more about all this to hope to find Arnus. I'd be happy to compensate you for your time, of course."

Steward
2009-05-20, 08:31 PM
"Forgive me." Caradoc says hastily, realizing belatedly that his words might have caused offense. You know, all this talk of devils and demons reminds me of a brother at my temple. Old Brother Derleth often spoke of such things as incubi and er... other things. He also collected books written in the Infernal speech and he liked to try and drag things back from the outer planes."

Caradoc frowns. He had been very young when Brother Derleth lived at the Monastery, and his recollection of the man is shrouded in myth and mystery. "I believe he died while trying to eat his own socks. Tragic, tragic stuff. I'm sure that won't happen to us."

Guancyto
2009-05-24, 01:31 AM
That's pretty handy to know, actually," Bess considers, tracing a bit of charcoal over a piece of parchment and making a note to herself, "so, 'when dealing too deeply in the lower planes, make sure socks are of edible material.' You wouldn't know where I could find some of that, then?"

Ezeze
2009-05-24, 02:33 PM
"I'm afraid I do not know much more than I have said. My research has drawn me in a radically different direction since I had any interest in such things."

Steward
2009-05-24, 07:42 PM
Caradoc smiles wryly. "I'm afraid it wouldn't have done Brother Derleth too much good. He was trying to get at his feet, you see. At least, that's what our investigators thought after he was found. He had a book near him, and on the cover was a serpent consuming its own tail. They tell me it's some sort of Eastern symbol."

Tia's next words give him some cheer. "Well, I'm sure that is probably wise. Like I say, you both probably know a lot more about this than I would. I've always been more interested in the nature of civilizations." He rummages through his knapsack to retrieve another sheaf of paper and a quill. "And speaking of which... if you don't mind my asking, in which country were you born?"

MGuy
2009-05-25, 07:56 PM
[Ok not that I'm not enjoying Caradoc's ever lengthening back story but is everyone ready to move the story forward? I've kind of been waiting for everyone to decide exactly HOW they are gonna get to the Library.]

Guancyto
2009-05-26, 05:24 PM
(We're working on it! :smalltongue: )

"Obsidurr," Bess answers shortly, looking around to make sure noone is paying attention to their conversation, "but I can think of something a little more pressing. Nerick, isn't it time you told us what you're up against?"

Prince_Selm
2009-05-26, 08:37 PM
(Sorry about my absence. It's crunch week for me and I've been REALLY!!!!! busy. I'll be back to normal come Friday, but until then, expect low posting. Sorry.:smallfrown:)

I'd love to! Just as soon as someone explains it to me...

(I was under the impression that we were walking towards our destination while we were speaking.)

Guancyto
2009-05-26, 09:19 PM
The redhead stops where she is, clenching her hand into a fist before relaxing again, apparently thinking twice of some (probably unspeakably heinous) idea she had. "Everything you do know, then. You've got the notion that you've stupidly put some people in a lot of danger, and if it's true I think you owe me at least as much as that."

"And how bad these friends of yours really are. I'd rather tag along with a heavily armed company or something, but if it's a death sentence for them, we can do without."

(Hey, with any luck, you can get away with one big post. :smallwink: )

Prince_Selm
2009-05-27, 02:13 PM
He turns to her.
Well, uh, let's see here...

1. They're very intimidating.

2. They wear black cloaks with some sort of insignia on them.

3. The person who I presume to be the leader is female and has long blond hair.

4. They're searching for "The Lost King", who they assume that I know something about.

5. And when I escaped they yelled out that they would find me at any cost, that's why I'm worried about letting people know about my location.

6. Did I mention that they scare the living crap out of you?

That's why I don't want to think about what's happening to Jacquelyn...
He mutters

Guancyto
2009-05-27, 09:17 PM
"Huh," Bess sounds almost disappointed, "I guess that's not so bad. Anyway, we could see if anybody else around here is heading for the same place and go together, maybe make some money from it hiring on as a bodyguard or two. Or we could find a woodsy type of some sort. Between him and Caradoc, we could get there off the beaten path and not worry about highwaymen at all."

"What do you all think?"

Steward
2009-05-28, 02:56 PM
"Do you think that that's a real possibility?" Caradoc asks after scribbling down the information he has compiled from his companions. "Highwaymen, I mean. With Nerick's adversaries alone, we already possess a plethora of potential pursuers--," He pauses to enjoy his cleverness before continuing. "I like the idea of a caravan. At the very least, we'll get some money and hopefully we might encounter some interesting people."

Prince_Selm
2009-05-28, 03:38 PM
Nerick steps in front of the party with a solemn expression
No way. I won't involve anyone else in this. I still don't believe I should've told you all. During my escape, I saw at least twenty of them. Their leader knocked me out with a single blow! These people are not to be reckoned with. If I have to, I'll rent a horse and continue alone...

Guancyto
2009-05-28, 04:42 PM
"I don't know, Caradoc," Bess answers honestly, "we could get information on the roads when we go looking for other travellers. If it turns out that the trip is as safe as a dwarf in his fortress, fine. If not," she shoots a glance at Nerick as she walks past him, "we'll have a friendly little chat about 'getting other people involved.' Deal?"

Steward
2009-05-29, 07:27 PM
"I'm afraid I've got to agree with Bess. Your reticence is eminently reasonable, but you've let on too much already. Like it or not, we're a part of it all now." Caradoc pronounces dramatically. "Now, we've really got to start making some distance here. I estimate that we're facing a week's travel by foot, which for me is seven days too much. Now all we've got to do is hire someone out and be on our way."

Prince_Selm
2009-05-30, 10:22 PM
I don't like it, and I agree that, however unfortunate, you all are a part of my problem, however...

Nerick assumes a Heroic Face of Awesomeness.

That is no argument against my problem of getting other people involved.

He looks at Caradoc.
Now, you are obviously a man of wisdom...

He turns to look at Bess.
And you, obviously, a skilled warrior...

So, allow me to propose this hypothetical situation:
If you need to hold a city against attack, and the invaders are ruthless, but only care about capturing the city itself, what do you do when you run out of soldiers?

Send in civilians to fight, nay be massacured, or have them escape to safety?

Ezeze
2009-05-30, 10:50 PM
Without a beat of hesitation, Tia says "Destroy the city. Remove the invaders' only goal and they leave in defeat no matter what."

Guancyto
2009-05-30, 11:43 PM
Bess starts at Tia's quick reply, what with the gypsy not having spoken in a bit. "That's... hm," she considers her own answer, "you'd have to run. If you don't have any troops, you really can't press civilians into fighting. But if you mean getting volunteers who, even if it's a long shot and casualties are terrible, have a chance of winning, I'd send them in. Every time."

"Look, I know what you're trying to say here," Bess draws her gaze level with Nerick's, "and if these guys were a merciless menace that's killed everyone who's ever so much as talked to you, I'd even agree."

"But have they? You don't even really know what they're after. Going off alone into an unknown wilderness when you don't even know if it's necessary? That's not heroic, that's just stupid."

Steward
2009-06-01, 08:23 PM
"I'd just leave with the civilians." Caradoc answers the strange trivia question with a odd shrug. "But that doesn't really apply to your situation--well, not completely. Even if it did, it's out of your hands now, isn't it?"

Prince_Selm
2009-06-02, 07:34 PM
Tia's speech is met with a blank stare.

Nerick sighs after Caradoc's speech and turns to Bess
Well, even if we disagree with our methods, at least you understand my prediciment. Of course, to obtain volunteers would involve sharing knowledge which would defeat the purpose in the first place.

He turns back to Caradoc.
As for you, I'm surprised. You agree with me in my hypothetical example, but still don't understand my point. Reguardless, it is not out of my hands as you so say. I have one option remaining to me, I can skip town and go on to this place by myself. I do not wish to do this though, because however disfunctional, I understand that you all can certainly help me, and maybe I can help you too.

Nerick pauses for a moment, and then resumes speaking.
I have however, thought of a compromise. We could go through with your plan, to obtain more people to travel with, but with a stipulation. We make fully aware anyone that is traveling with us that we may be attacked by "a formidable group of bandits". That way we can recruit help without harming my concience.

Any objections?

Steward
2009-06-02, 07:57 PM
Caradoc nods. Somewhere, deep in the recesses of his head, his mind is slowly piecing together Nerick's point. Ah, so what he's saying is that he should keep the people safe from---that's brilliant! I'm keeping that metaphor for later. He thinks; he fishes out a quill and starts jotting it down on a scrap of paper.

After he is finished, he shakes his head and returns his attention to what Nerick is saying now.

"Eminently reasonable," He declares. "I doubt any of the hardbitten folks who roll along these paths will be afraid of a few 'bandits' anyway. Now, let's get on with it, eh, before we all turned old and gray!"

Guancyto
2009-06-02, 07:58 PM
"The best explanation your friends will give is that you stole something," Bess answers, "and odds are good they'll get hired help of their own. I'm sure you can spin a sob story about having angered slavers or gang lords or bandit kings or whatever and the thugs they might send after you for anyone who might be curious. Enough truth to keep people on their toes, enough lies that someone looking to sell you out will have trouble."

"But make it good, or I'll throw you to the wolves myself," she flashes Nerick a grin as she brushes past him and nods to the little monk. "Let's. I know a few places around here we can look..."

(If we're Gathering Information(tm), I'll toss in an Aid Other on Caradoc's check for a +2 bonus.)

Prince_Selm
2009-06-02, 08:26 PM
(If I remember correctly, more than one person can aid people, so I'll try it too. I have +2 to Charisma going to waste after all...)

Nerick smiles.
Well, good to see that we're all on the same page. Let's go.

He follows Bess.
By the way, I'm not wholly incompetent. I can handle a few thugs.

Steward
2009-06-02, 08:47 PM
[roll0] (that's including Caradoc's own natural powers and the Aid Another attempts only, right?)

[roll1] (how long it takes?)

Caradoc employs all of his skill and an open hand with his purse of silvers in order to find a suitable companion for their quest.

Prince_Selm
2009-06-02, 08:57 PM
(In case no one looks at the dice roller, I failed my check, just so you know...)

Guancyto
2009-06-02, 09:18 PM
(Made mine. Search topics also include "how dangerous are the roads?")

Bess helps Caradoc out, finding people who look like knowledgeable sorts for him. She can't help but look a little impressed at how he's working the various rabble. Perhaps there had been something to her information after all.

MGuy
2009-06-03, 12:42 AM
[Hmmm Gather Info questions regularly would rely on the whomever made the check but I'll sccept the addition this time.]

Caradoc's combs the streets surprisingly well. It seems as though the notes he took when he was first spreading the word of his services have came in handy. The group is told of various caravan guilds and mercenary groups who operate in the area. The prices they charge seem to be standard, ranging from copper to gold per day depending on the "quality" of their services. The roads have their dangers but not many between the well traveled road that you'll be taking.

"The distance is short, being only a week and all. I reckon you'd get there without much trouble. The Grey Guard travel that road and I don't Figure many bandits'll show up. But if they've got a grudge against ya you may be in for it." A particularly knowledgeable gentle tells Caradoc after declining the offer to buy him a drink. He stands up finishing off his drink. "I know a thing or two about the things around here, and trust me short one, I think bandits aren't going to be a problem for you." he says before putting on his hat and leaving.

Steward
2009-06-03, 08:25 PM
Caradoc presents what he has learned to the group, making sure that they understand. "As per your request, I mentioned the bandits and not whoever it is that's actually after you," He explains to Nerick. "Now, we're safe from actual bandits but we'll still need to get someone along who can help us deal with... whoever."

Guancyto
2009-06-04, 03:58 PM
(Push comes to shove we can just call it parallel research.)

"Sounds good," Bess agrees, "I don't think we need a full mercenary company; one or two more warriors should be fine and a little more low-profile, too."

And much cheaper, she notes mentally, conscious of her dwindling funds.

Prince_Selm
2009-06-05, 05:14 PM
I agree, but good job on the discreetness. I didn't suspect a thing.:smalltongue:

Well, perhaps while you are hireing, I wish to help in some way. I am very intelligent and good with my hands. I am also a master sculpter, though I don't see any use for that now...

Can you think of any goals that need doing before we go.

Guancyto
2009-06-06, 11:10 AM
Bess smirks as they go to look for mercenaries. Very intelligent, huh. "Just say that you'd be happy to carve a statue in their honor if they save your life," she suggests, "who's going to say no to that?"

Prince_Selm
2009-06-06, 07:50 PM
Heh, that's great advice. :smalltongue:

The funny part is that I could.

Nerick fades back into obscurity until we find our new teammates

MGuy
2009-06-08, 09:17 PM
[Well couldn't find a quick player recruit for the role so I'm going the npc route.]

You check the local mercenary dens for able fighters. Their look varies as wildly as their price ranges. As you tell them of potential dangers the prices, and willingness to take on the job, rise and fall respectively. The cheapest you find work for a daily pay of 4 silver pieces. However cheap certainly doesn't seem to guarantee quality of service in this trade.

Prince_Selm
2009-06-11, 08:15 AM
(:smallsigh: Alright, bump time.)

Well, I rather liked that one fellow...

...but that other guy was nice too...

...and you can't ignore the merits of that last person either...
Nerick says to jumpstart the conversation.

Ezeze
2009-06-11, 11:40 AM
Tia remains silent on the matter, seemingly engrossed in alternating between reading a book filled with strange diagrams that she never, ever lets out of her sight and staring pensively on the ring that she sometimes wears and sometimes just holds.

MGuy
2009-06-11, 09:19 PM
[Thanx for the bump but what I need is A: who is footing the bill and B: how much is going to be spent.]

Guancyto
2009-06-12, 02:33 PM
"Let's go with the second one," Bess agrees, "he had that whole 'I'm a warrior of virtue' thing going, so I don't think it would take much for him to take an arrow for you."

"Since this is all your fault anyway, I don't think you'll have any problem paying his wage?"

(Voting for "4 SP/day" and "Nerick," because he's so put upon. :smallwink:)

Prince_Selm
2009-06-12, 03:45 PM
I suppose that's fair. I have a few coins squirlled away.

(Actually, quite a lot for a 1st level character. When making him, I actually reached a point where he couldn't carry any more items due to his low strength, so I've got a decent amount of pocketed gold. :smallbiggrin:)

Steward
2009-06-12, 05:33 PM
Caradoc furrows his brow. "We want to give this mercenary fellow enough to make guarding us worth his while, but we don't want to give him so much in the beginning that he'll want to just take the money and run." He smiles brightly. What if we-- (and I mean, Nerick, of course, because my money has gone into the lucrative paper and ink industry) -- pay him an initial hiring fee, then a little bit per day, with the bulk of the money to come after we have reached the Librarium. He pauses, then continues. "And if he comes with a horse-drawn cart or something, that would be wonderful!"

Prince_Selm
2009-06-12, 05:53 PM
And I thought I was smart. That sounds better.

I guess I'm still pretty naive, I've had a pretty sheltered life.

Reguardless, I'm in if everyone else is.

Guancyto
2009-06-12, 06:04 PM
"I thought that was always how it worked," Bess says, a little puzzled. The only jobs where she had gotten paid up front were from the desperate or the half-dead.

Oh well, at least they're getting some valuable experience. "Anyway, I'm sure you and he can work out a proper payment schedule. It's only a week."

MGuy
2009-06-12, 09:13 PM
You end up hiring a bear of a man Roaman Petrovski. Dressed briskly for the hotter months he is covered in crisscrossed leather. It is mostly brown but in the right light it looks almost green. Where he isn't covered by this he seems to be covered by hair. His thick arms and beard, coupled with his wide shoulders and natural girth makes him almost seem like a questionably tall dwarf or a short brown skinned orc. His black hair is short and black while his beard reaches down his chest.

"Comrades! Ooo and ladies! I am Roaman! Together we will travel and I will break the necks of our enemies!" He speaks in a loud boisterous voice, his accent heavy in his words. "You have made wise choice in choosing my services! I am strong, hard worker with good business ethic!" He laughs." I have quite a collection of tools!" he leans down to Caradoc and whispers not to quietly, "Though some I only show the ladies!" He winks his bushy eyebrows and nudges Caradoc, almost knocking the poor man down with his big elbow. "So I come well equipped to handle many situations!"

You find out through his boasting he does not own amount claiming, "It is best to feel the ground under my feet, without that how would I know if I were standing?"

Prince_Selm
2009-06-13, 10:56 AM
Well, happy to have you aboard.
Nerick says politely.

So, are we ready to leave now?
he asks the group.
Or are there other things that we have to do first?

Guancyto
2009-06-13, 01:28 PM
"Hah!" Poor Caradoc, he's going to get an earful the whole way, Bess thinks with amusement. "I hope you can fight as well as you talk."

"It's about time," she answers Nerick, "let's get moving.

MGuy
2009-06-13, 03:45 PM
[Marching order please ^.^. Roaman travels in the front.]

Steward
2009-06-13, 05:12 PM
Excellent! Caradoc thinks. Another larger-than-life personality. I wager he's got years of incredible life experiences!

He hurries forward, trying to walk close to the mercenary Roaman Petrovski. "So, Roaman, sir, tell me about yourself!" He asks brightly. As he walks, he awkwardly pens a brief description of Roaman on a spare scrap of paper.

Prince_Selm
2009-06-13, 05:24 PM
I'd say, second from the last. So as to not be in the front lines, but not being vulnerable to ambush.

Nerick hums as he walks occasionally muttering a small word of a song.

Guancyto
2009-06-13, 08:56 PM
Bess marches in the back, keeping a weather eye out behind them.

MGuy
2009-06-14, 01:24 AM
[And Tia? Also A reminder to those who havent sent it I need another copy of your character sheets.]

Tortoise262
2009-06-14, 12:03 PM
A dark-clad halfling waits in the shadows unseen until the group is a few yards ahead. Suddenly, he runs up to the band of warriors: "Wait! Word on the street is you folks are looking for some traveling companions. I'd like to accompany you. I don't eat much, I'd make an excellent scout, and I have a knack for staying out of trouble. All I want is a chance to travel abroad and see exotic scenery and creatures... Well, and exotic treasures, too, if that's the sort of adventure on which we're embarking."

Guancyto
2009-06-14, 01:30 PM
Bess isn't one to turn down a free sword arm, even if he's probably running from a gambling debt or the like. "As long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty," she answers cautiously, "I don't mind."

Steward
2009-06-14, 07:30 PM
Caradoc grins as he sees the dark-clad figure run up towards them. He couldn't tell exactly who this person was. But, judging entirely from his height, he seems very trustworthy. "Welcome to our humble travelling party!" He declares expansively. "And it would be my honor if you would also be willing to travel with us. But first, I'll need your name and your origin! For my files, you see! So how about it?"

Prince_Selm
2009-06-14, 08:33 PM
Nerick stays silent. Not "rude" silent, just "shy" silent.

(I kept forgetting that he's supposed to do that...:smalltongue:)

Tortoise262
2009-06-15, 12:39 AM
The halfling turns to his fellow under-statured man. Before responding, he thinks over whether or not he could possibly owe the monk any money. Deciding that he had never seen Caradoc before, he answers, "Well, my friends call me Grimble. You can call me Grimble." He adds with a wink, "Since I don't owe ya' no money, I consider ya' a friend. As for my origin... Well, you'd be better asking a cleric 'bout that. 'M not one for religious discussion, really."

Prince_Selm
2009-06-15, 07:48 AM
Nerick chuckles a bit.

Well, we certainly have one heck on a team coming together.:smallsmile:
I thought we were going to keep things secret.
Well, plans change I suppose...

MGuy
2009-06-15, 01:04 PM
Roaman leans over to Bess and whispers, "I am thinking we were going to a library. What is this "adventure" this tiny, thin one talking about?"

Guancyto
2009-06-15, 01:11 PM
"We are," Bess answers flatly but no less quietly, "I expect the adventure is the epic tale of 'Grimble runs away from his creditors,' but he could be useful. Just don't let him take a watch."

MGuy
2009-06-15, 11:16 PM
"Ah I am understanding you," Roaman replies nodding his head and keeping his eyes trained on Gimble.

Steward
2009-06-16, 06:08 PM
"Grimble, then?" Caradoc says. He chuckles politely at the other halfling's joke, and quickly determines that perhaps this Grimble does not want to disclose where he is actually from. Passing over the question, he decides to try and share some of his own information. "Well, keep this under your hat, but we're forming a little group to take a trip to the library. We're not expecting any danger, mind you, but you can never tell what kind of people you meet out here, in the outlands. I remember one of my brothers, a fellow by the name of Derleth, who had gone out after a trading party to buy an important map. Poor man wandered back, 6 days later, completely starkers with only a tea cozy covering his unmentionables. He never told us what happened, but a few weeks later we heard that some goblins were rousted out of a cave somewhere nearby. Now, I'm not sure we're dealing with anything like that here, but it's better to be safe than sorry, eh?"

MGuy
2009-06-18, 02:00 PM
[Bumping. Now assuming everyone is still moving out, I need Tia's and Gimble's place in da marching order Please]

Tortoise262
2009-06-18, 10:36 PM
Grimble pats his head to see if he is even wearing a hat. Nope, but he gets the idea, and makes a zipper motion over his mouth. (I'm not sure if they had zippers back then, but if not: Hey! Anachronism!) He takes his place in the middle of the group: far enough up front that his scouting eyes aren't hindered by the taller party members, but secure enough that he won't be the first target of a surprise arrow or sling bullet.

Ezeze
2009-06-18, 10:43 PM
Tia walks near the middle of the group, but far enough to the side to distinguish herself. She is silent during the greetings, and does not offer her name. Whatever her thoughts, she keeps them to herself.

MGuy
2009-06-19, 02:54 PM
[Well now that we're finally on the road consider the first encounter overcome! +150xp for everybody for making it through alive ^.^.

Caradoc: +50 for surviving the drink, +50 Monastery Anecdote 1, +50 for Monastery Anecdote 2, +50 for Monastery Anecdote 3, +50 for most character developement (all your anecdotes are now canon for your character)

Bess: +50 for the very intelligent threat (Am studying psychology so it hit home for me), +50 for keeping Tia's name unknown, +50 for dragging Nerrick to your room (Nerrick: Now Molested), +50 for new, now canon word Mudlam Kewba (Idon't know whats what you said but I liked the way with hows you said it), +100 for being my favorite character so far

Tia: +50 for keeping Nerrick at the table, +50 for introducing your story element and reminding Cara that he forgot you, +50 for exposing the fact that no one knows your name (the rare ooc xp), +50 for the moral question posed to the party

Nerick: +50 for introducing your story element, +50 because it became a party concern, +100 for thread bump, +50 for continued altruism (unease at getting others involved), +50 for second thread bump

Bess+Tia: +50 for the developing Rivalry

Everyone Subtract 5 gp from their funds for traveling supplies and Nerrick an extra 3 gp Roaman's payment.]

The sun is high as you leave the bustling town for the wide road. One would easily identify this as a good day for traveling. The bright sun shines over head in the bright blue sky. The clouds drift lazily in the air as the wind breezes against your backs , as if ushering you forward on your way.

[You are entering a few days of down time is anybody during anything of note as the days pass? Getting to know each other, private thoughts, etc are all acceptable things to report.]

Ezeze
2009-06-19, 03:07 PM
Tia disappears every day around dawn for about half an hour. Anyone who know anything about magic knows that it's not nearly long enough to prepare spells, and anyone who follows her finds out that she spends the first fifteen minutes or so trying to ensure that no one has followed her (will be making opposed rolls if anyone tries).

Prince_Selm
2009-06-19, 05:06 PM
During stops, Nerick makes small statues out of clay. Some days he makes monsters, then muttering that they aren't useful. Other days he makes people.

He has about five such statues (They're very small) of a particular girl, but he keeps complaining that they "just aren't right".

Also, he hasn't eaten anything since getting on the road, but shows no sign of malnourishment. He still seems sickly, but he has from the start so...

Guancyto
2009-06-19, 08:38 PM
During their trip, Bess insists on taking watch time; she also frequently gets up to stargaze and take thoroughly incomprehensible notes. If he happens to be on duty at the time, she sometimes asks to borrow some of Caradoc's.

She's quite happy to take Nerick's share of food, although it probably makes stops a bit awkward when everyone else is eating and he isn't. And sort of looks to the untrained observer like she's starving him. But since when is a warrior concerned with appearances?

Prince_Selm
2009-06-19, 09:10 PM
(Eh, we're working on our dysfunctional relationship.) :smalltongue:

Occasionally, in the middle of the night, Nerick starts talking in his sleep. Anyone paying the slightest attention can hear that he's talking to some girl. Laughing like a school-kid. (specific details avaliable upon request.)

Steward
2009-06-19, 09:25 PM
Caradoc spends his time trying to corner the other members of his travelling party so that he can interrogate them. The only time that he stops is at night, at which point the halfling finds a quiet place to pray and sleep.

On the few times that he agrees to take watch, he is glad to allow Bess to use his paper, and when he's not on watch he leaves it in a bag along with the rest of his valuables and the rations that he had been nibbling ever since he set out for his journey.

MGuy
2009-06-20, 04:30 AM
Roaman takes no notice of Nerrick's situation and spends most of his time talking boisterously with Caradoc about his nigh unbelievable experiences and keeping a close eye on Gimble. He takes watch with Bess, spending time digging up her warrior experience while, for some reason, not boasting to he about his.

[Gimble you're the last one up ^.^ and keep in mind you are being watched.]

Tortoise262
2009-06-20, 10:42 PM
The fact that Grimble isn't allowed to take watch suits him fine, since he won't lose any sleep. Perhaps no one notices this, but whenever Bess takes watch, he stays up, gazing at either the stars or the trees. He only sleeps when Bess sleeps. As for his rations, more food is better than less, but he won't flagrantly take more than his share, as his mission is too important.

MGuy
2009-06-21, 02:51 PM
You all reach the halfway point in your journey. A building lies on the side of the road at a fork. The trails split off to the east and the north. You know that you are to take the road to the east. It is getting dark as you reach the point and the old stone structure seems abandoned.

Roaman looks at the building suspiciously. He offers to stand guard outside should the party decide to spend the night inside. "This building... I am having the bad feelings about it."

Steward
2009-06-21, 04:53 PM
Caradoc is somewhat more confident about resting in the stone building before continuing. "I can see your point here, man." He says. But why else would a building be out here? From its location and decor, I suspect that it might have been some sort of tavern or hostel at some point. Or, alternatively, it could have been the home of a recluse, who prefers the company of his own mind to that of other people."

He strokes his chin pensively, surveilling the building. "What I think we should do is to search the building from top to bottom now to make sure that we're not intruding into anyone's... or anything's current residence."

Guancyto
2009-06-21, 05:00 PM
The astrologer's frequent insomnia makes Grimble's task of staying awake at the right time difficult, but manageable. For their efforts, Roaman gets the maybe-rousing tale of holding an unspecified bridge against an unrelenting tide of orcs, and Caradoc gets some information on the movements of the night sky - including the star that burned brightly for weeks... and disappeared on the night she met them.

If there are places to look in the building from outside (windows, keyholes, missing parts of wall, etc.), she's more than happy to check them out.

Prince_Selm
2009-06-21, 05:39 PM
(I'm a little depressed. Nerick has a pretty nice INT, but I haven't found a use for it this entire adventure... :smallfrown:)

Hey guys... I've got a plan.
He says just loud enough for the party to hear.(Yay INT!, but it's mine... :smallsigh:)

Caradoc, Roaman, Bess you head inside. If there are any hostiles, try to push them toward me.

Grimble, conceal yourself within range of me.

If enemies come out, I'll distract them while you set up an ambush. Then the warriors come out and we have a three-pronged strike!

He turns to Tia.
Now Miss... ... ... Gods! I never learned your name!
Nerick says clearly very embarressed.
Well, well... I left y-you out of the plan because I don't know your strengths or abilities... Sorry...

Guancyto
2009-06-21, 05:56 PM
Bess can't help but giggle. It's not a bad plan, but... "Hey, let's figure out if there's anyone inside and if they're friendly before figuring out how to kill everyone, all right?"

"But yeah," she assents, "if you run into trouble, fall back."

If there's nothing of note she can see from the outside, she'll search with the others.

Prince_Selm
2009-06-21, 07:49 PM
That's the beauty though, if they aren't a threat, we get signaled inside and there's no problem.

Ezeze
2009-06-21, 08:27 PM
Tia smiles for the first time since she joined the party. "Then by all means, allow me to do my part." She brings her hands together on empty air, hiding their contents as if she was holding something delicate. When she opens them again, there is the flap of white wings as a dove tries to gain its balance on her hand. She whispers a delicate word, too quiet to hear, and it takes wing towards the house.

Tia sees everything the dove sees. It is going to fly in a window and do a sweep of the building, glancing over every room it can get to. It uses a Raven's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/raven.htm) stats.

Prince_Selm
2009-06-21, 09:35 PM
But... um... we still... don't...
Nerick is blushing.
know your name.

(I'm persistant! :smalltongue:)

Tortoise262
2009-06-21, 10:37 PM
"Well, sir... If there's one thing I'm good at, it's hiding. I was hide & seek champ 4 years running in my hometown of--" Grimble catches himself and makes an awkward noise: a bad attempt at an obviously forced sneeze. You forget yourself, Grimble! You're supposed to be keeping quiet about your past. Grimble gives a wry smile as he forces himself to quell his natural outspokenness.

Steward
2009-06-21, 10:41 PM
"I'm sure she'll tell us in due time." Caradoc says to Nerick. "And as for your other plans... please, we must not have any murder. Not here, not now."

He marvels as the bird sails through the air towards the building. Such a skill would be useful for spying! I wonder... He muses to himself. Immediately forgetting his first advice to Nerick, he whirls around on Grimble. "Your hometown of what?"

Prince_Selm
2009-06-21, 11:03 PM
IFthere's a threat! IF!!

Did anyone hear that part!?

MGuy
2009-06-21, 11:13 PM
Roaman scratches the back of his head trying to figure out whats going on, though it seems he is unsuccessful in his endeavor. he touches Tia on the shoulder to get her attention. "Please, I am in the trying to understand, what is the bird for and how will it help us find the enemies?"

As your bird enters the dwelling the darkness limits its vision as it flaps around the first room. The first room seems to be empty and has fallen into disrepair. It is large, with worn tables and chairs strewn about. It seems as though it used to be a tavern or inn. from the looks of it now however it has been abandoned for some time.

Ezeze
2009-06-21, 11:24 PM
To Nerick the woman says "Tia." She looks a little distant, as if looking at something else. to Roaman she says "I can see through the birds eyes. The building is... Dark. Empty. It appears as if it had been a tavern or inn at one point - there are tables, and chairs. Old, probably rotten."

The bird, for its part, flies on. It explores all of the building that it can, and Tia relays what she sees through its eyes.

Guancyto
2009-06-21, 11:27 PM
"Neat trick," Bess steps back from the opening she had been looking in and watches the dove enter.

"I hope it isn't bonded to you?" she asks idly, "I hear losing a familiar really hurts."

Ezeze
2009-06-21, 11:53 PM
Tia takes a momentary break in her running description of the interior of the building to answer Bess's question. "No. Nothing would happen to me if the bird died."

Guancyto
2009-06-21, 11:59 PM
"Good," is what Bess answers.

Interesting... is what she thinks, pondering the implications of what Tia has just told her.

MGuy
2009-06-22, 04:02 AM
Roaman looks back and forth at Tia then Bess and back again. "Magic?" he ponders to himself a bit surprised. He might have expected such tricks from the inquisitive short one but the reserved Tia had not, at least in his mind struck him as a magician. Bess's knowledge on the subject and nonchalant behavior towards it also struck a cord with him. "Might I have gotten myself into something strange?"

As the dove continues to search through the room it finds a stairway and two closed doors. One door is behind what used to be the bar the other is off to the side next to an unused hearth. Up the stairs it finds a short hallway at the end of which is a big mostly empty area. It is most likely used for storage as there are various items strewn about. To the sides there are closed doors, one of which has rotted off its hinges. Inside there lies a couple of pieces of furniture. A rickety bed and an aging stand next to it along with an open window are all that adorn the room.

[Bess I know its in your story but it is not represented on your character sheet. So for the next level I would prefer if you took up at least one rank in knowledge: arcana to make up for your rudimentary knowledge of magic.]

Prince_Selm
2009-06-22, 10:16 AM
To Nerick the woman says "Tia."
(We Win! ...and lost...our...biggest...running joke...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smallfrown:)

Anything?

Ezeze
2009-06-22, 12:36 PM
"Nothing of interest thus far. A lot of empty spaces and closed doors."

When it has reached the end of what it can see by looking around inside, the bird flies out a window and attempts to go in another one to a room behind a door.

Tortoise262
2009-06-22, 03:27 PM
Grimble turns to Caradoc: "Eh? Oh, my hometown of... er..." A bit embarrassed, the stealthy short one rubs the back of his neck, groping for some sort of response. "Um... Gr..imble..town?" *cough*

MGuy
2009-06-22, 04:47 PM
As the bird flies out the window you get an overhead look at the party. You can see everyone's actions around you as you are concentrating on the bird. You catch a glimpse of Bess who seems to be deep in thought, Roaman who is looking a bit worried and Grimble's uncomfortable gestures made in response to Caradoc's question. You also see something shining on the back of Grimble's neck for a brief second before the bird flies into another barren room.

Prince_Selm
2009-06-22, 06:39 PM
Nerick apparently used his intelligence to become invisible. :smalltongue:

Well, everything seems safe thus far. I probably just got paranoid.

Nerick returns the figure he was holding into his pack.

MGuy
2009-06-23, 06:32 AM
[Nerrick still exists? I guess Tia didn't see you, being so busy overshadowing you and all >.< )

Steward
2009-06-23, 11:59 AM
"Grimbletown? I think I've heard of that. It must be a few metres north of Caradocville." Caradoc mutters to himself at the other halfling's weak answer. He had gotten used to the seemingly unrelenting secrecy and evasiveness of his tall companions, but he had expected better of a fellow halfling. Never mind. I shall have more time to figure out these people later. He thinks, shaking his head.

He grins when he hears the strange woman explain what her dove sees within the building. "It appears my deduction was correct. It's a tavern, undoubtedly abandoned. I'm sure that we can use it to rest for a while, before continuing forward in our journey."

Prince_Selm
2009-06-23, 12:11 PM
A tavern! That's excellent news! I can't say I appreciate this long camping trip.

Yes, a real bed!
Nerick is giddy.

Guancyto
2009-06-23, 03:02 PM
"It should keep the rain out, at least," Bess agrees. Seeing as Tia hasn't found anything dire, she opens up the door and begins a short sweep of the premises, starting with the initial room. "Come on in."

(Let me know how many search checks will be involved in that, if any.)

Prince_Selm
2009-06-23, 03:52 PM
(Hey! Search uses INT!)

Nerick follows her in, but pulls out a small figurine, just in case.

MGuy
2009-06-23, 07:51 PM
[I'm feeling lazy so one from whomever is searching and the aids from whomever wants to help.]

"I am thinking I would do better to be doing the outside guarding," Roaman says, eyeing the place wearily.

Prince_Selm
2009-06-23, 08:25 PM
(If anyone has higher than a +4 in search than I just successfully aided them, if not I got a 15 [see die roller for info])

Nerick starts to poke and prod his way around.

Sounds good, Roaman.

Guancyto
2009-06-23, 08:31 PM
(Check result of eleven, looks like I'm helping you.)

"By all means."

The place is probably pretty thoroughly picked-over given how long it's been abandoned, unless it's only being made to look like it is. Either way, there might be something interesting...

Steward
2009-06-23, 09:12 PM
Caradoc strides towards the abandoned shell of a tavern, using his staff as an extra long arm to poke around in the secret places that taller people might overlook.

[Check result: 23]

Tortoise262
2009-06-24, 01:11 AM
Grimble cautiously follows behind the others. "Ya' folks ought to learn to do this sort o' thing more quiet-like..."

[I rolled 25... Win]

Prince_Selm
2009-06-24, 08:53 PM
Nerick bumps something. It's probably the thread.

So, who's sleeping where?

MGuy
2009-06-25, 12:38 AM
[Hmmm... Well I guess Tia is off staring at a corner or something.]

Out heroes pick the place apart, moving debris sifting through the dust. An old sign is found, that when put together reads: The Golden Fork. Grimble [whom with aids has a 31] finds a diary buried underneath a floor board. Upon inspection it seems to be written in elven. [Anyone who is down stairs who can can try and read it. On another note, who is searching upstairs and downstairs?) Other than that various rodents are found scurrying around. One of the doors up stairs doesn't seem to open. [Anyone who is upstairs can attempt to open it.]

Ezeze
2009-06-25, 07:09 AM
"I speak elven, if no one else does."

Prince_Selm
2009-06-25, 08:33 AM
(I nominate Caradoc to be upstairs since he got the second higest result.)

I wonder what happened here... People don't just leave their diaries...

Steward
2009-06-25, 10:17 AM
Caradoc dutifully heads upstairs and confronts the obstinate door. He peers at it, looking for any clues as to why it's there. I hope it's no-one's boudoir... Caradoc thinks, before trying his best to pull it open:

see dice roller - strength check = 6

Guancyto
2009-06-25, 12:48 PM
"It's pretty well-preserved," Bess nods, "but if someone had to leave in a hurry, it isn't crazy for them to have left something behind."

She's more than happy to read it over Tia's shoulder, should Tia be the one to have it.

Tortoise262
2009-06-25, 09:05 PM
"Er... Here. You keep it." Grimble passes the diary to Tia. "Prob'ly just full o' girly stuff anyway... I'm going to see what's happening upstairs."

Grimble finds his fellow halfling companion trying to budge the door. "What in blazes are ya' doing, mate? That's not how ya' open a door! I've got the tools for this sort o' job!"

Grimble rummages around in his backpack and pulls out a set of finely crafted picks. "Um... Now what do I do with...? Confound it! I shoulda' shelled out the extra 5 gp and got the set that came with a manual!"

MGuy
2009-06-26, 01:14 PM
[It seems as though the door upstairs will be an encounter the way you guys are rolling on it >.>]

As Tia flips through the time abused diary she finds that it belonged to an elven female who's translated name meant Moonflower. She was of a poetic sort, as her writing was flighty whimsical and at times full of rhyme. It only chronicled her time here at the end, during which time she srved as a bar maid. Apparently she had been taking a short respite from her usual adventuring life after a human lover of hers passed away. She was a ranger by trade but a scientist at heart it seemed fore she took extensive notes on the people she met there. Of particular interest seemed to be a drow, mentioned toward the end of the diary. Though blood enemies both had been living an adventurer's life long enough to get past their heritage. The drow, whose name translates to Darkeve seemed to be a biologist of sorts. The two exchanged notes and it seems as though Moonflower's acquaintance specialized in the breeding of spiders. As the diary comes to an end it tells of Moonflower venturing off with Darkeve to start a new chapter in her life.

Guancyto
2009-06-26, 03:32 PM
"Looks like Grimble was right," Bess comments idly, sounding a little disappointed, "I wonder what happened to her."

"Maybe it's a code," she perks up, "Caradoc should be good for finding it if there is one, right?" She heads upstairs to find him, beckoning Tia to follow.

Steward
2009-06-28, 02:28 PM
Caradoc begs off on the obstinate door, deciding to find something easier to do. How is it that an abandoned building can still have a door this solid? Caradoc remembers the old doors in the parts of the Grey Monastery that people rarely visited; they practically crumbled when you knocked on them! He decides to let Grimble and his tools have at it and go and assist the others.

When Bess comes up the stairs, Caradoc is ready to help. "What's all this about a code, then?" He says cheerily, glad to have something to do that's more within his purview. "May I see that book?"

Prince_Selm
2009-06-28, 07:13 PM
Nerick looks on at the struggling halflings.

Now, this isn't usually my style, but should I just set it on fire? I could most likely contain it to avoid the spread to the outer walls.

Guancyto
2009-06-28, 07:19 PM
"The diary sounds really ordinary," Bess explains, not really paying attention to the debacle with the door, "so it doesn't make sense that it got hidden away so well. I was thinking maybe there's some sort of other message hidden in it. What do you think?"

Steward
2009-06-28, 09:20 PM
Caradoc peers at it. "Well, I assume you know that it's in Elven. From what I've read so far, I think it belonged to someone who spent some time here. There's really no reason to assume that it has any deeper meaning." He smiles sheepishly. "I don't have any... direct experience with this, mind you, but I've been told that the sort of people who keep diaries are the sort of people who don't want it to be read by prying eyes. That was probably why she hid it - so that some nosy so-and-so like myself wouldn't start thumbing through it."

The author herself seemed rather interesting. Like Caradoc, she appeared to be a researcher. It's a shame she's an elf, Caradoc thinks wistfully. He is about to hand the book back to Bess when something strikes him. He furrows his brow and frowns. "Say, it says here that the author's colleague used to do some research on spiders. Maybe that could be why they left; they found and catalogued all the spiders in the area so they had to go elsewhere to continue their research. How does that sound?"

Prince_Selm
2009-06-29, 09:15 AM
Nerick hears Caradoc's comments and heads downstairs.

Let me take a crack at it.
He says, hand outstretched.

Someone in this party does have direct experience with people who keep diaries.
He says, noticably embarresed.

Ezeze
2009-06-29, 11:30 AM
Tia shrugs as she hands off the diary. Her bird lands softly on her shoulder and she turns to pet it. She wanders off disinterestedly.

[roll0]
She uses her 'disinterested gait' to position herself behind Grimble - trying to get a better look at the back of his neck. She avoids obviously staring at him by looking through her bird's eyes once more.

Guancyto
2009-06-29, 01:51 PM
"Still pretty ordinary," Bess answers Caradoc's assessment of the diary while she awaits Nerick's opinion on it, "but it does make more sense."

"Hey, Grimble, I don't suppose you know treehugger-talk too? Could come in handy," she asks while he's busy with his work.

MGuy
2009-06-29, 04:10 PM
The gem is a bright green emerald that seems to be grafted into the back of his neck. [Need a knowledge: arcana check to see if it reminds you of anything]

Prince_Selm
2009-06-30, 10:25 AM
Nerick looks through the diary. I don't know what kind of check to make, but since he has personal experience writing about things so that the casual observer doesn't understand the true meaning of things, I hope for a circumstance bonus.

Sorry Caradoc, but I'm going to have to disagree. If they left, why would she leave her diary? And why was the inn destroyed. I'll see if I can figure it out.

He continues to read.

MGuy
2009-06-30, 02:35 PM
[I'd call this a sense motive check. All those who read the diary before who think they can make it can make the check. No aiding for this one. For those who don't care, are you giving up on the door and moving on?]

Tortoise262
2009-06-30, 03:26 PM
Grimble gives up on the door and heads downstairs, still holding his finely-crafted tools. "Naw," he answers Bess, "I'm a fan o' learnin' languages. N'fact, I learned several while spendin' some time on tha streets. Let's see, I know tha language of goblins, orcs, dwarves, and o' course halflins... Didna' encounter too many elves where I lingered, though. It's a loverly language, an' m'sure I could pick it up easily if someone were ta' teach it." Grimble looks at his picks with a grimace. "Same goes fer these bloody things."

(Here's an opposed Sense Motive for Tia's Bluff: [roll0])

Guancyto
2009-06-30, 03:42 PM
"So if I wanted to talk about you behind your back, that would be the way to do it," Bess jokes. Or might be joking. "Good to know."

Seeing him give up, she rummages in her pack and comes up with a crowbar. "Let's see here..." She attempts to wrench the door open.

(I'll leave the Sense Motive to other people. Strength+Crowbar: [roll0]

Edit: I will assume that fails horribly.)

Nearly wrenching her arm off instead, she steps back. "Give me a couple of minutes..." she says before continuing to work at it.

(Taking 20!)

Ezeze
2009-06-30, 06:12 PM
(Here's an opposed Sense Motive for Tia's Bluff: [roll0])

Bite my +8 to bluff :smallbiggrin: What is on Grimble's neck?

Tortoise262
2009-06-30, 06:41 PM
I dunno, actually. I don't even think Grimble realizes it's there. Anyway, my sense motive failure just means Grimble isn't aware that you're checking him out.

Ezeze
2009-06-30, 06:59 PM
Freaky. [roll0]

MGuy
2009-06-30, 09:16 PM
[Well with that mighty arcana roll you figure out you have absolutely no idea what it is, or at least was because now you don't see it anymore. Not even through your bird.]

Prince_Selm
2009-07-01, 03:16 PM
Sigh, why sense motive. I have basic WIS... :smallsigh:

[roll0]
Here's hoping for a miracle!

EDIT: That's not bad.

Hmmm, interesting.

MGuy
2009-07-01, 09:49 PM
[You find the way the author writes to be a bit strange. Why would she have to record her own, full name in her own diary? Why does it only detail things that went on when the author lived in this inn and not before or afterward?]

Prince_Selm
2009-07-02, 11:13 AM
There's something definetly wrong with this... Mind if I hold on to it?
He asks.

Ezeze
2009-07-02, 03:01 PM
Tia shrugs "I doubt anyone else would find it useful."

Steward
2009-07-02, 05:15 PM
"If you insist. But wouldn't you consider it stealing? We've already invaded her privacy by reading her diary..." Caradoc trails off. "But I suppose if she wanted to hang onto it she would have taken it with her."

He decides to go and watch Bess work on the door with the crowbar. "I have no idea why, but I really want to know what's behind this door. What if it's MORE diaries?"

Guancyto
2009-07-02, 06:22 PM
"If it is," Bess wipes the sweat off her brow; this is a hell of a stuck door! "I'm going to personally hunt down every single person involved and kneecap them. Twice."

"Or eight times if they're a spider," she adds after a moment.

MGuy
2009-07-02, 06:24 PM
As Bess finishes her quip the door comes open. She is treated to a small dust cloud and white lent. Her sudden intrusion does is welcomed by the poisonous bite of a tiny venomous spider.

[You've taken 1 point of damage and I need a Fort save. Initiative please! ^.^]

Prince_Selm
2009-07-02, 06:33 PM
Nerick, um, apparently, is still reading the diary, because he got a 7.
(and he gets +4!)

I don't think I heard anything, did you guys?

Guancyto
2009-07-02, 06:47 PM
"Son of a-" Bess draws back from the nasty bite and drops the crowbar. "Hey! Get up here!" she shouts to all and sundry.

(Initiative is a fifteen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6416242&postcount=21), fort save is a 20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6416242&postcount=22))

Steward
2009-07-02, 09:12 PM
"Yikes!" Caradoc squeaks, flinching in surprise. "Help! Murder! Murder!"

My initiative roll result is... 21. I am super-alert. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6417397&postcount=24)

Ezeze
2009-07-02, 09:48 PM
((ooc: Oh, I see. You're all using the roller thread. How cute.))

[roll0]

Tortoise262
2009-07-03, 12:14 PM
(Alright... Good to get the nat 1 out of the way init=5)

"I make it a point ne'er to mention spiders. Whenever ya do, they have a nasty way of showin' up! ... So, whad'ja find behind the door, Bess?"

MGuy
2009-07-03, 04:52 PM
[Init: Caradoc, Spider, Bess, Tia, Nerrick, Gimble]

Steward
2009-07-03, 07:10 PM
The martial arts had never been Caradoc's strong suit. However, the Abbott had insisted that every initiate be able to defend themselves against anything that went bump in the night. Come on, it's a spider! Just squash it! Caradoc raises his staff and brought it down as hard as he could towards the spider. "That'll learn you, eh?"

Attack Roll: 19 | Damage Roll: 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6423345&postcount=26)

MGuy
2009-07-04, 02:03 AM
Caradoc, reacting swiftly successfully, swats the spider off of Bess. The arachnid hits the floor but quickly skitters onto its legs. It lunges at him nipping him on his arm. This isn't the end of them, however, as quite a number of smaller spiders race from within the web filled room. While the majority of the tiny vermin are harmless enough a number of them (such as the one you're fighting) are of a considerable size. Quite a few burst from the room and begin lunging at different members of the party.

[There are now six spiders cramped into the hallway with you all, Bess was attacked twice both missing. Caradoc was attacked by the spider that bit Bess. Gimble, who was next to Caradoc is bitten by one missed by another. The last of them attacks and misses Tia. Caradoc you get an attack of opportunity against one of the spiders as they leave the room, though not the one that bit you and Bess. Caradoc and Gimble take one point of damage and I need Fort saves.]

Two of the newcomers leap at Bess who successfully avoids their venomous bite. Another, moving through Bess's homes in on Caradoc. The spider stumbles as Bess's stance shifts. The movement, caused by her swatting feverishly at the others. Two jump at Gimble and though he ducks under one the second lands on his head, successfully delivering its bite. The first one nearly lands on Tia only to be blocked by Tia's forearm as she moves to unsheathe her weapon.

[edited for flavor]

Guancyto
2009-07-04, 03:24 AM
"Whole nest of them!" Bess answers more for Nerick's benefit than Grimble's. She looses the heavy warmace that had hung at her side and shifts to smack around the one that had bitten her and was now menacing Caradoc.

(If I can, going to 5-foot step to flank it (or one near it) for sneak attacky goodness.

Attack roll is a 7 pre-flank-bonus, other rolls probably don't matter in light of that (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6425521&postcount=27).)

Ezeze
2009-07-04, 01:08 PM
"Damn it!" Tia grabs her spear two handed and drives it down at the head of the spider that tried to bite her. "Why did it have to be spiders!?"

[roll0]
[roll1]

GM only
Tia is still channeling Malphas, who was the first vestige she summoned - he is the one who lets her summon birds. This means she is immune to poison, which is handy. Unfortunately, none of his other granted abilities are worth a damn against Spiders.

Prince_Selm
2009-07-04, 02:18 PM
Alright, time to go.
Nerick says as goo mysteriously appears in his hands.
After a quick second of shaping it, a Crystal Shard rests in his hand.

BITE THIS!
He yells as he chucks it at a spider that is not engaged in melee. (don't want to hit any allies.)

(Come on double digits!)
Rolls:
Attack:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

EDIT: Yeah!

MGuy
2009-07-04, 04:16 PM
[All of them are technically engaged as they all started to attack as they came out of the room.]

Bess and Tia swing at the spiders with their respective weapons, trying frantically to recover from their shock. However the frantic movements of the seemingly equally spooked arachnids proves to be too erradic for either to land a good hit. Nerrick, still eager to prove himself as useful, conjures a small jewel before hurling it at one of the tiny nuisances. He successful hits one (Rolled randomly and came up Tia) successfully felling a spider as it attempts to sink its fangs into Tia's ankle.

Steward
2009-07-04, 08:30 PM
"Yikes!" Caradoc yelps as the spider's fang sinks itself into his arm.

Fortitude Save = 12 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6426154&postcount=28)

If he can, he takes his attack of opportunity; with an Attack roll of 14 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6426154&postcount=28) & inflicts 2 points of damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6426154&postcount=28)

MGuy
2009-07-04, 09:30 PM
Caradoc quickly recovers from the small bite getting his bearings quickly, he notices one of the spiders stumble bout behind Bess. He leans forward and delivers a swift back kick. He connects solidly with the spider, effectively crippling it.

Steward
2009-07-06, 05:20 PM
Caradoc is getting quite into the melee now. With a shriek that sounds more like something Brother Derleth might have emitted -- on that night of horror -- he hefts his quarterstaff into the air and swings it as hard as he can towards the nearest spider.

Attack Roll: 15 | Damage Roll: 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6441816&postcount=29)

MGuy
2009-07-06, 05:32 PM
[Ok skipping Gimble's turn. Also Caradoc you have to remember you are small sized. Your weapons deal (unarmed strike and the staff) 1d4 not 1d6 damage]

Caradoc's spins his staff as he brandishes it, fending off the first spider and striking it at the end of his flourish. The strike hits its mark squashing the offender.

One of the two spiders engaging Bess skitters under her flailing and successfully nips her ankle. [1 point of damage and a fort save.] The spider around Gimble, continues its assault on the still stunned halfling, taking advantage of his shock. It delivers another successful bite to the small one. [1 point of damage and fort save.]

[There are three spiders left. Two engaging Bess at the door and one still harassing Gimble.]

Guancyto
2009-07-06, 06:14 PM
Bess steps back and seems to reassert herself. She sweeps her mace close to the floor, hoping to knock her assailant against the wall. Really, getting shown up by a scholar armed with a stick is kind of embarassing.

((Fort save is 12, Attack is 16, Damage is 9, SA damage is 3 if applicable (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6442245&postcount=30).))

((For le DM:))
Just as a rule of thumb, damage is nonlethal unless I designate otherwise.

Tortoise262
2009-07-06, 09:40 PM
"Ack! What'd I tell ya'?"

Grimble shakes off the spider, takes a 5-foot step backward, pulls out a dart, and throws it at the menace!

(attack roll 12, damage 4 ... sorry was out a couple days for the holiday)

MGuy
2009-07-06, 11:41 PM
[I can understand that on humanoids but do these vermin, and to that extent, any non intelligent creatures count with that? (Excluding the obvious for creatures immune to nonlethal). Moreover you can choose to not kill someone in my game. House Rule note: Bad guys have negative hp. Also since you sneak attacked you cannot do nonlethal. Even if you had you still would do well over two times its hp in nonlethal damage! This thing is dead >.>]

Blushing in frustration Bess picks up her footwork moving to the side and swatting her target into the wall. The spider's body, proving to be less solid, splatters against the wood.
The last bite seems to snap Gimble out of his shock and he quickly swats the spider off of his head before rolling back and tossing a small dart into the creature, killing it instantly. Gimble rises a bit slow to his feet, finding his breathing to be a bit heavier then normal.

[Gimble you take 2 Str damage from the poison. Only 1 spider left. It is engaging Bess.]

Ezeze
2009-07-06, 11:49 PM
Tia charges (if she is far enough to charge, if not subtract 2 from the attack roll :smallsmile:) the spider, plunging her spear downwards at its abdomen.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Steward
2009-07-07, 05:51 PM
Caradoc rounds on the spider, swinging his staff once again. Already his arms are starting to ache; the melee with the spiders may have only lasted a few seconds, but to him it feels as if he has been fighting for hours. His attack is directed at the spider attacking Bess, which he bashes with his staff if he can.

Attack = 12 | Damage = 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6450186&postcount=33)

Prince_Selm
2009-07-07, 07:50 PM
(Whoa now! I've only been gone 6 hours. You can't skip my turn that quickly!!!) :smallyuk:

Nerick throws another shard at the spider.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Wish me luck.

EDIT: ...Fail.

MGuy
2009-07-07, 08:04 PM
Tia lets out a grunt as her spear misses its mark. Nerrick follows up her attack with another ranged assault though he misses his mark. Caradoc twirls his sinto another flourish though he over shoots his enemy. The spider lunges once again at Bess's feet. The skittering little assailant finds its mark once again [1 damage and another fort save please.]

Guancyto
2009-07-07, 08:15 PM
"Quick little bastards, even if they're fragile," Bess comments calmly, shifting to launch a counterattack even as the whole "being poisoned repeatedly" thing finally starts to get to her.

(Another 5-foot step to flank, if possible. Fort save an amazing 3, so subtract whatever strength damage from the attack roll of 12, add 2 if flanking, subtract whatever from the damage of 7, add 6 if flanking etc. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6451163&postcount=34)

Edit: Unless, of course, we forgot Grimble again in which case halfling go go go. Fort save's still a 3, though.)

Tortoise262
2009-07-07, 08:21 PM
Grimble suddenly feels too weak to hold his pack with ease. "Oi! Can one of ye' mates carry this backpack for me a while? That spider bite packs a punch!"

(Vermin can be sneak-attacked, as well as critted. They are mindless, but they still have vital organs and whatnot. BTW, MGuy, did you deny me my DEX bonus on my AC after you skipped my turn? And how often are we expected to post during a battle, for that matter? I just wanna make sure I understand the rules.)