PDA

View Full Version : Help with story concept

RationalGoblin
2009-04-12, 07:14 PM
So I have an idea for a story (more accurately, several short stories, compiled in one book); but I need help implementing it.

The central symbols, ideas, etc, are based around one thing. Ambition. Whether good (perhaps like Naruto, if you've seen it), evil (name a villain, any villain), or somewhere in between; all the protagonists are driven by ambition to achieve some goal.

The goals are varied; in one story, a young man wants to marry the girl of his dreams and start his own successful business; in another, a frustrated royal guard wishes to take control of the kingdom to stop the endless in-fighting and destruction of the ruling nobles; and in yet another, a previously unimportant planatery governer desires to make the galaxy kneel before him. The goals themselves are not quite as important as the people, and the ambition of the people that pursue them.

The goals can be accomplished, or failed spectacularly. Again, it does not matter. The only thing that truly matters is the will and drive of the protagonists.

So, I'm asking the Playground; what would be some good characters and goals? What would be a good format to present the stories in? I'm thinking of starting with a chapter per story, with a quote from the protagonist as the chapter heading.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention; the stories do not have to be connected to the same universe.

Any takers?

EDIT: Yes, before anyone asks, I have been watching a lot of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann lately. That is where I got the idea from.

MethosH
2009-04-12, 07:48 PM
Make the planetary governor succeed but be unhappy at the end.. and make the guy who wants to marry the girl of his life don't succeed but be happy about it.

The ending story should be about a guy with no ambition at all, on his quest to find an ambition, and at the end he realizes that find an ambition is his ambition.

RationalGoblin
2009-04-12, 08:33 PM
Make the planetary governor succeed but be unhappy at the end.. and make the guy who wants to marry the girl of his life don't succeed but be happy about it.

The ending story should be about a guy with no ambition at all, on his quest to find an ambition, and at the end he realizes that find an ambition is his ambition.

That is an excellent idea. So, besides the guy with ambition as his ambition, no one is truly happy with their success or failure? Good, good, good.

In fact, that ties in with both my working title, and one of the major ideas: "The Price of Ambition", and the concept that, to achieve a goal, no matter how major or minor, you have to sacrifice something. Perhaps in all, it is your happiness?

And as for the stories I mentioned; they were simply ideas for mini-stories, but I think I can work in those particular ones.

Thanks for the help; of course, if anyone else wants to help, I'm happy to take advice. :smallsmile:

The_JJ
2009-04-12, 08:48 PM
*ahem*

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!

MethosH
2009-04-12, 10:05 PM
That is an excellent idea. So, besides the guy with ambition as his ambition, no one is truly happy with their success or failure? Good, good, good.

In fact, that ties in with both my working title, and one of the major ideas: "The Price of Ambition", and the concept that, to achieve a goal, no matter how major or minor, you have to sacrifice something. Perhaps in all, it is your happiness?

And as for the stories I mentioned; they were simply ideas for mini-stories, but I think I can work in those particular ones.

Thanks for the help; of course, if anyone else wants to help, I'm happy to take advice. :smallsmile:

I don't think you NEED to sacrifice something to fulfill your ambitions.. You can try a history about a guy that is so intelligent that reach it without losing anything and end up happy. The FULL success. Or a guy that changes his goal every now and them so he can achieve it.

Sneak
2009-04-12, 10:08 PM
How about a guy who just has no ambition at all, and this utter lack of ambition ends up making his life miserable?

Or a guy who has strong ambitions, but ends up not acting upon these ambitions for some reason or another. Outcome would be up to you.

RationalGoblin
2009-04-12, 11:23 PM
*ahem*

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!

I'm the only one in this thread besides you who understands that, you know.

Of course, that does make perfect sense. In fact, before I asked the forums, I was already planning for one of the protagonists to be a humble scientist named Will Rowe...

I don't think you NEED to sacrifice something to fulfill your ambitions.. You can try a history about a guy that is so intelligent that reach it without losing anything and end up happy. The FULL success. Or a guy that changes his goal every now and them so he can achieve it.

Hmm... Perhaps I could keep the "ambition requires sacrifice" theme, but have it only partially true? Because, if I'm going to make the vast majority of the protagonists unhappy, the only way I see to make them that way is through sacrifice of something they possessed.

As for the the intelligent; ambitions-filled guy; I know just the character...

How about a guy who just has no ambition at all, and this utter lack of ambition ends up making his life miserable?

Or a guy who has strong ambitions, but ends up not acting upon these ambitions for some reason or another. Outcome would be up to you.

Also good ideas. A doormat style character that has no ambition would work.

As well as a highly ambitious guy who can't achieve his goals... Perhaps moral, psychological, or civic reasons? Hmmm....

Ravyn
2009-04-13, 03:06 PM
I'm rather fond of psychological reasons. Have you ever been at the point where you've almost achieved a goal--but you don't want to finish it because you've been having far too much fun with getting there, or you don't know what you're going to do once you're done? Try using that.

Felixaar
2009-04-14, 03:59 AM
Just gunna say: I don't like the whole "no one is really happy with their ending" idea. It's too depressing. It is, after all, possible to be completely happy and succesful.

Maybe you could take a look at the different ways people go about pursuing their ambitions? Like, there might be some people who throw away their honour and morals, or some who stick to the right course, some who leave good friends behind, or some who work with them. Kind of a "deal with the devil" to get a head, or sticking to a just course.