PDA

View Full Version : Recall A Villain! (3.X) [Voting Closed, Villain Pending]

afroakuma
2009-04-12, 10:56 PM
Did you ever look at one of the past villains and wonder, "what if we'd voted differently?" Have you ever speculated on what half-formed evils were aborted when popular opinion took a sharp left turn? In other words, did you ever want to find out what almost got posted?

Now is the time to find out. The phantom mists swirling in the vaults of VUAV have opened into the sealed alternate realities, ready to release one of the "what if" villains from the first ten Vote Up A Villain contests.

First, you'll decide which villain gets another chance to exist. Then, whatever details were never resolved will be voted on.

Currently Voting On: Voting Closed, Villain Pending

1. Villain: Nightshade

{table=head]Villain|Type|Race|Class|CR|Alignment|Motivation|Vo tes
Nightshade|Plant|Unique (Floral)|-|13|NE|Punch-clock villainy|9
A'Thirna Cràdh|Fey|Verdant Lord|||||2
Magraroth|Giant|Fire Giant|||||
The Hateful|Vermin|Unique (Something Worse)|||||2
Zarth-aron the Traitor|Humanoid|Githzerai|||||2
The Entropic Collector|Ooze|Living Spell|-|15|CN|Entertainment|4
No Freaking Way|Am I Doing|Another|Animal||||-
The Pactfallen|Monstrous Humanoid|Unique (Horrific)|Warlock||||6
[/table]

And names are subject to change with notice.

arguskos
2009-04-12, 11:09 PM
Zarth-aron the Traitor.

Because githzerai need more love. :smallbiggrin:

Shadow_Elf
2009-04-12, 11:30 PM
Cool concept Afro.

Lets see what the Nightshade would have been like. A plant whose job it is to be evil? Paid plants forever!

afroakuma
2009-04-12, 11:32 PM
It's my job to always have awesome stuff up my sleeves. :smallwink:

The Tygre
2009-04-12, 11:45 PM
...Sooo...still bitter about that whole 'Animal Villain' thing, eh?

Personally, I want to know more about this Pactfallen. Warlocks are always fun.

afroakuma
2009-04-12, 11:54 PM
...Sooo...still bitter about that whole 'Animal Villain' thing, eh?

Well, there's nowhere to diverge there. Unless I make it Neutral. Or a pony, which is just not happening.

horngeek
2009-04-13, 12:25 AM
The Pactfallen. And I want it to be somthing of the type that does horrific things.

thegurullamen
2009-04-13, 12:27 AM
Nice spin on your old classic. Though I am sad to see nothing Astrally up there. :P

I vote for Entropic Collector, though the Warlock was a close second.

Debihuman
2009-04-13, 12:33 AM
Evil plant definitely--Nightshade.

Debby

Zeta Kai
2009-04-13, 12:36 AM
Cool concept, Afro.

Well, I'm a fan o' the fey, so I shall vote for A'Thirna Cràdh.

Pronounceable
2009-04-13, 12:56 AM
Or a pony, which is just not happening.

Aww...

Looking at the table, Hateful sounds suspiciously like a Diablo critter while Magraroth sounds grand. Therefore I'm voting Hateful, being certain it won't be anything like it sounds. Looking at the table, I'm also wondering what something called a No Freaking Way be like.

Krazddndfreek
2009-04-13, 01:26 AM
Evil Plantz ftw! Nightshade!

streakster
2009-04-13, 01:29 AM
Nightshade

It's an evil plant. Well, a plant with an evil job. It's a plant, with a job, which is evil.

Yea, that takes my vote.

Alteran
2009-04-13, 01:30 AM
I'm going to go with The Pactfallen. Let's see how this would have turned out!

Lizard Lord
2009-04-13, 02:24 AM
Zarth-aron looks like there might be a good story there, so that is what I vote for.

UnChosenOne
2009-04-13, 02:42 AM
I vote for The Entropic Collector.

paddyfool
2009-04-13, 03:54 AM
The entropic collector. Motivation: entertainment? Yes please!

Lord_Gareth
2009-04-13, 06:11 AM
Nightshade!

Need I remind people of the following quote - "Help, my lawn's been hired to kill me!"

afroakuma
2009-04-13, 07:16 AM
Nice spin on your old classic. Though I am sad to see nothing Astrally up there. :P

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. :smallsmile: The one from VUAVX isn't there either. :P

Falconer
2009-04-13, 10:51 AM
"Help, my lawn's been hired to kill me!"

I'm convinced. Nightshade

Limos
2009-04-13, 10:59 AM
The Entropic Collector

puppyavenger
2009-04-13, 11:06 AM
A'Thirna Cràdh

Juhn
2009-04-13, 01:33 PM
You know, afro, you've apparently had dibs on Vote Up A Prestige Class since VUAV1. I don't remember you ever running that contest.

afroakuma
2009-04-13, 01:35 PM
Is that a hint? You have a point...

Also, you totally didn't vote.

Juhn
2009-04-13, 01:39 PM
No, I was just running through VUAV1 to find that lawn quote and ran across that. I would think it's mildly rude to claim dibs on something and then sit on it for a dozen or so other contests. :smalltongue:

As for my lack of vote, that's because I'm still torn between the mercenary lawn and the horrible horrible bees.

afroakuma
2009-04-13, 01:41 PM
Well, you already know it's not a lawn. It was in my notes, for cripes' sakes!

Besides, part of the reason is that I've been busy with concentrated awesome. So nyah. :smalltongue:

Lord_Gareth
2009-04-13, 02:08 PM
I still wanna see you do a Harrowed villain, Afro. Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it!

afroakuma
2009-04-13, 02:21 PM
Of course you do. You know the terms for that. :smallamused:

Lord_Gareth
2009-04-13, 02:25 PM
*Sigh* Fine, fine. If I must.

*Fires the Doctor Doom (TM) brand POWER-thief deluxe, as first seen in The Secret Wars, at Afro.*

Athaniar
2009-04-13, 02:46 PM
I'd rather see The Pactfallen.

Juhn
2009-04-13, 02:46 PM
Fine then, I'll vote for The Hateful as, intelligence controversy aside, that particular hivemind made of horrible bees is too awesome to pass up.

afroakuma
2009-04-13, 02:53 PM
*Fires the Doctor Doom (TM) brand POWER-thief deluxe, as first seen in The Secret Wars, at Afro.*

*effortlessly dodges it; looks politely at Lord_Gareth awaiting further attempts.*

kopout
2009-04-13, 02:57 PM
Nightshade I came up with "Help, my lawn has been hired to kill me" so it would not be right top vote any other way

Lord_Gareth
2009-04-13, 05:15 PM
*effortlessly dodges it; looks politely at Lord_Gareth awaiting further attempts.*

Damn you Doctor Doom! YOU SAID ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER OR MY MONEY BAAAAAAAACK!

*Falls to his knees with a defiant yell*

afroakuma
2009-04-13, 09:21 PM
Just want to remind everyone that the voting's still open.

Lord Mancow
2009-04-13, 10:09 PM
Evil merc lawns and inconspicuous assassins for the win.

Nightshade

vegetalss4
2009-04-14, 04:39 AM
The pactfallen could be fun

lesser_minion
2009-04-14, 09:11 AM
Who was 'No Freaking Way'?

Just kidding, I'll go with Nightshade, although that will cut this contest a bit short (the index will be updated soon, sorry about the delay)

afroakuma
2009-04-14, 12:09 PM
I'll leave this open until midnight EST and then close it.

Saint Nil
2009-04-14, 12:29 PM
The Pactfallen.

I really didn't liek his motivation.

afroakuma
2009-04-15, 07:06 AM
Well, the votes are in and it seems that Nightshade will be the villain revived.

Limos
2009-04-17, 05:27 PM
Afro, seriously man, it's been two days. Where is the villain?

Zeta Kai
2009-04-17, 06:17 PM

Calm down, Limos. She'll be comin' 'round the mountain when she comes. Please be patient.

arguskos
2009-04-17, 06:44 PM
Dude, I've been waiting for like a month for my villain, which I WON with three days of hard work. Hold your damn horses! :smallbiggrin: It'll be better for the waiting, guaranteed!

afroakuma
2009-04-17, 06:49 PM
Zeta's been pushing me for VUACS stuff, which takes priority over all of you. So :smalltongue:

Zeta Kai
2009-04-17, 09:03 PM
Zeta's been pushing me for VUACS stuff, which takes priority over all of you. So :smalltongue:

Oh, sure. Blame ME. :smalltongue: I've been busy trying to get the Harbinger ready for tonight's VUAM #9 deadline.

Alteran
2009-04-17, 09:34 PM

I thought you were the one doing the pushing, Afro. After all, you're the one on the build team with the POWER, are you not? :smallconfused:

afroakuma
2009-04-17, 11:50 PM
Of course I am. Zeta thinks he can contest my POWER, but he's wrong.

Let's discuss the 3.X ways that he's wrong.

Barbarians can now pull off a stunt that was previously restricted to certain wizards. They're also capable of pushing their rage to new and scary limits.

Bards can use Perform for new and amusing effects, and are more tricksy and sly than ever. A magic-wielding bard can make an entire city hate you and everything you stand for.

Clerics access exclusive domains through their deities, and can tap into some really awesome spells. A cleric can also train in the rites and rituals of her deity for greater power, and recall divine spells.

Druids have access to a powerful prestige class, are socially valued and are the favored class of a PC race. A capable druid can call forth incarnations of the natural world and trap unnatural spirits in the land.

Fighters can learn martial training practices, evasion tactics and dueling skills. They can learn different combat forms that grant them new and devastating tactics in combat.

Monks now kick all kinds of everything. Whether serving the divine (and getting bonuses), serving the serene (and getting bonuses) or serving up your butt on a platter (by hitting you repeatedly, very fast, until you die), monks cleaned up big. A powerful monk can elude mighty spells and show no signs of weakness at a shadow's touch.

Paladins learn to dedicate themselves to their faith and are rewarded for said dedication. At later levels, they can gain additional spellcasting ability and deity-specific powers.

Rangers see both combat styles improve, and acquire superior casting that allows both they and their animal companions to really contribute to combat.

Rogues are more elusive than ever, and can get back at anyone who dares strike them in combat. They can also jump to the top of the initiative heap and pick off both mirror images and invisible foes with greater ease.

Sorcerers are a common favored class, and see some exclusive spells derived from racial lineages. They can also adopt new and exciting powers by sticking with their pure class levels.

Wizards catch a baseball bat to the head. And several snowballs. They also lose a lot of favorite spells, and it's very very sad. Sorry wizard players, but Zeta and I are out to trash your class. And have succeeded.

arguskos
2009-04-18, 03:55 AM
*snipsies*
So, if I understand correctly, you buffed Druids and nerfed Wizards? Please, TELL me that's not right, cause if so... I might have to hunt you both down and beat you for failing to nerf BOTH correctly.

Also, if the new Wiz is unplayable, Imma be sad. You better leave SOME stuff intact, like it getting to cast spells and stuff. :smallannoyed: I'm really tired of lots of folks overreacting and pretty much making wizards totally useless. I have faith you both will realize that issue and make them useful, but focused, not broken.

afroakuma
2009-04-18, 06:48 AM
Did you read that description compared to the others? I basically said "you'll have more roleplaying opportunities in urban settings, and easier entry to one particular prestige class." Druids, clerics and sorcerers will still see limitations on their power; it's just wizards that are getting the biggest kick to the head.

And of course the new wizard will be playable; it's just that some spells that Batmans enjoy will not be available. Most of those can be easily guessed even now. The difference is that in HoZ, a 20th level wizard can be killed.

As payback for chasing them around with a scythe, wizards are the favored entry class for Djinn Lord.

Juhn
2009-04-18, 08:03 AM
Am I correctly reading those class descriptions as things which should be in the VUACS thread rather than this one?

Unless you modified all those classes for this plant villain.

Judging from the mention of HoZ and Djinn Lord, I'm lead to believe that the former is the case.

EDIT: Okay, having checked the VUACS thread, it appears they are there. They're just in this thread too for some reason.

afroakuma
2009-04-18, 08:37 AM
*shrug* My thread, my rules. They were mainly placed here as a response to "where's the villan," the answer being, "look at what's been keeping me."

Juhn
2009-04-18, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I was just sitting here going "Why am I reading HoZ stuff when I'm in the villain thread?"

Of course, you could have just as easily put that post in the VUACS thread and said something along the lines of "I've been busy working on VUACS. Go check the discussion thread for that if you want to see what exactly's been keeping me busy."

The only thing that concerns me (and, admittedly, this concern is minor, as this is more of a "I'm confused as to why you did this" than a "I dislike that you did this") is the possibility of VUACS discussion taking place here as opposed to the discussion thread. My reference in the VUACS thread about Wizards being the entry class for Djinn Lord in that thread was about information revealed in this one, for example, and those reading it over there may have no idea where I got that information unless they happen to check this thread.

Of course, most of the people who are waiting for VUACS participate in VUAV anyway.

afroakuma
2009-04-18, 08:55 AM
Which is why I put it in both.

Juhn
2009-04-18, 09:02 AM
Yes, but did you include stuff like
As payback for chasing them around with a scythe, wizards are the favored entry class for Djinn Lord. this?

That's more revealed information people are going to have to hunt to find, and was what I was getting at. Unless, of course, you're simply using this stuff as bonus for the people who follow your various threads.

arguskos
2009-04-18, 12:58 PM
Like I said, just wanted to make sure you guys didn't make the Classic Blunder(tm) like a land war in Asia. Glad to hear that you and Zeta are on the ball (I don't keep up with VUACS). :smallbiggrin: