PDA

View Full Version : Flight & half-dragon queries

ShadowFighter15
2009-04-13, 01:12 AM
I remember reading somewhere (I think in Draconomican) a small clause about how characters can't fly if they are wearing medium or heavy armour, or carrying anything more than a light load. But when I check the flight rules here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Fly_(Rules)), it lists the weight restriction, but not the armour one.

Do flight rules in a non-core book add this restriction or is the linked site above wrong? Or is this something the DM should decide?

The flight question above is for the duskblade character in my avatar, who'll eventually be taking levels in Dragon Disciple and (since I was planning for him to be wearing mithral full plate by then) just wanted to make sure about that.

As for the half-dragon queries; I've decided to throw one together to pass the time (and so I have one near-ready for any games on Myth Weavers that would accept a half-dragon character) and I'm stumped on one point and curious about two others.

What I'm stumped on is what class to make him. I'm going to leave him as a level 1 character for now (otherwise there's the chance I'd have to remove levels to submit him to a game and I may not remember which feats/skills were for which levels), but I have no idea what class to go with.

I'd rather shy away from spellcasters because, IMHO, it doesn't feel right to have the big scaly guy stand back and sling spells when he's normally strong enough to tear someone's head off like he's screwing off the lid of a Coke bottle, but at the same time, the tedium of most martial classes is putting me off (I'd go with a ToB class, but I've already got a human warblade waiting to be accepted and I'm wanting to do something different with this guy).

I was tempted to go with a swashbuckler, since I prefer to use a point-buy system for ability scores and the +8 from the half-dragon template would mean plenty of points to sink into Dexterity, Intelligence and Charisma.

Really I just want people's opinion on what class to make this guy and the reasons behind their suggestion. Even if your suggestion is based purely on flavour rather than crunch, post it.

My second question is concerning half-dragon ageing. Let's keep our argument to the guy above (who's other half is human). I'm sure the draconic half of his genetics would give him a considerable life-span, but just how long would it be? On the same scale as your average dwarf or elf? And when would he reach maturity? Same as a human, as a half-elf (early-mid 20s I think), or later on?

Finally, what's the opinion on half-dragons getting a human head with scales, hair and maybe a couple of horns as opposed to the cliché 'dragon head (http://d-mac.deviantart.com/art/Red-Half-Dragon-67141075)'?

MeklorIlavator
2009-04-13, 01:22 AM
Note the first line of text:

A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.) All fly speeds include a parenthetical note indicating maneuverability, as follows
It does however say that medium armor isn't necessarily a medium load. If it is, there is a feat in...Dragon Magic? Races of the Dragon? One of those, that increases your ability to fly with heavier loads.

Talic
2009-04-13, 01:28 AM
Heroes of Battle gives updates to speeds of flyers with heavier loads. In Dive bomb attacks.

ShadowFighter15
2009-04-13, 01:28 AM

It does however say that medium armor isn't necessarily a medium load. If it is, there is a feat in...Dragon Magic? Races of the Dragon? One of those, that increases your ability to fly with heavier loads.

Well I think it was the text for a feat in Draconomican that threw me off on that point since the part of its description marked "Normal" mentioned armour and loads separately, like you couldn't fly in medium armour (regardless of your load) without this feat.

Also, I'd imagine that a creature with a strength score of at least 16 (the base 8 of a human + the 8 from the template) wouldn't consider some medium armours to be more than a light load.

TheCountAlucard
2009-04-13, 01:29 AM
My second question is concerning half-dragon ageing. Let's keep our argument to the guy above (who's other half is human). I'm sure the draconic half of his genetics would give him a considerable life-span, but just how long would it be? On the same scale as your average dwarf or elf? And when would he reach maturity? Same as a human, as a half-elf (early-mid 20s I think), or later on?

Keep in mind, this is just what I've been doing in my games... but my typical solution is to average the age categories of the two races (Adult paired with Adult, Old paired with Old, Venerable paired with Ancient, and Maximum paired with Great Wyrm). Thus, a half-dragon gnome would reach Venerable age at ~500 years.

Finally, what's the opinion on half-dragons getting a human head with scales, hair and maybe a couple of horns as opposed to the cliché 'dragon head (http://d-mac.deviantart.com/art/Red-Half-Dragon-67141075)'?

I do that all the time, actually. Really, the only half-dragons I've got that have dragon heads are creatures whose other half is dragon, as well. :smalltongue:

One good example can be found in the webcomic, Darken (http://www.darkencomic.com/).

ShadowFighter15
2009-04-13, 01:49 AM
Keep in mind, this is just what I've been doing in my games... but my typical solution is to average the age categories of the two races (Adult paired with Adult, Old paired with Old, Venerable paired with Ancient, and Maximum paired with Great Wyrm). Thus, a half-dragon gnome would reach Venerable age at ~500 years.

That sounds like a good system. Do you use the dragon ages in Draconomican, or are they listed in the MM or somewhere else? Also, you're going to have to remind me how to average the age categories (I haven't had to work something like that out in five or six years, maybe more, I'm not sure).

I do that all the time, actually. Really, the only half-dragons I've got that have dragon heads are creatures whose other half is dragon, as well. :smalltongue:

One good example can be found in the webcomic, Darken (http://www.darkencomic.com/).

I figured it'd be alright, some of the half-dragon character portraits you can find here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pc/20011218x) don't look all that draconic.

TheCountAlucard
2009-04-13, 01:58 AM
That sounds like a good system. Do you use the dragon ages in Draconomican, or are they listed in the MM or somewhere else? Also, you're going to have to remind me how to average the age categories (I haven't had to work something like that out in five or six years, maybe more, I'm not sure).

I used the numbers in the Monster Manual. They can also be found in the SRD. On how to average the ages: You take the dragon's age category, and you take the race's age category, add them together, and then divide by two. For example, the Halfing reaches Middle-Aged at 50, and dragons reach Mature Adult at 201. The sum of the two is 251, and when divided by two, you get 125.5. Thus, a half-dragon halfling is middle-aged at ~125.

ShadowFighter15
2009-04-13, 02:04 AM
Thanks; like I said, I couldn't remember how to work that out. Annoying when you forget something and then when someone tells you how to do it, it's ridiculously easy.

EDIT: Still got no idea on what class to make this guy. Anyone got any ideas?

JellyPooga
2009-04-13, 04:00 AM
EDIT: Still got no idea on what class to make this guy. Anyone got any ideas?

First off; Race. You've said that this guy will be Human. Is this set in stone or is it just a 'default' that could be changed? For example, if you can swing a Large sized character (e.g. Half-Ogre) then you get Wings from being a Half-Dragon. Admittedly you'll have to suck up even more LA for being Large (I can't think of any large playable race without a LA), but it's worth considering (that and the +14 Str if you do go Half-Ogre...). If you don't want the extra LA, then other choices will also colour your Class choice...for example, a Kobold Half-Dragon is practically a messiah among his people, so Cleric/Sorcerer or Paladin/Sorcerer would be highly appropriate thematically, but his vastly improved physical stats screams Fighter/Ranger to me (using the Kobold Racial Variants in RotD).

Anyway, assuming Human Race. With that beefy Strength and Charisma, Paladin is an obvious choice but IMO Paladin is only 4, maybe 5, levels long tops. Bard also works with the high Charisma and high Strength + Whip = Triptasic! If you wanted to get a little crazy, mix them up with the Devoted Performer feat (Complete Adventurer) for a Paladin/Bard! As peculiar as it sounds, it's not that bad an idea; Paladin fits the stats well and if you choose a metallic dragon as your dragon half, then the whole 'servant of Bahamut' schtick is going. The fact that you're a half-dragon means that you could be something of an outcaste from normal society, perhaps even being banished from your hometown or abandoned by your parents in a monastery or something. The fact that you move around so much means you've picked up a lot of skills and knowledge that others don't; hence the Bard aspect.

For a different angle, Hexblade is also a good candidate for a chromatic Half-Dragon; its martial aspect combos with the high Str and it's other abilities are Charisma based. Hexblade is a bit of an iffy one though because if you PrC or Multiclass, your 'Hexblades Curse' ability dies a swift death as nothing advances it except more Hexblade.

For yet another angle, consider the non-MMI dragons for your dragon half. A Half-Shadow Dragon makes for a great Rogue/Assassin thematically, for example.

Personally, I've always liked the idea of a Monk Half-Dragon, which can make very good Grapple-Monkeys (especially if they're large sized).

I could go on, but I'd have to think harder than I care to right now :smallwink:, so I'll leave you with that for now! Hope it's helped.

ShadowFighter15
2009-04-13, 04:28 AM
I'd prefer to stick with a human half-dragon (this'll only be my third character so I'm still trying to keep it simple). I hadn't thought of bard though, while I can see the benefit of a few levels of it, I don't really think it'd be worth a few levels of paladin since that would require an alignment change from LG (causing him to fall and lose all of the class features). I could use the Paladin of Freedom from UA, but I really just don't like the flavour of paladins.

I've actually done him up as a swashbuckler for the moment (might change him to bard later, not like this guy's going to see a game for a while) and I used a 32 point-buy for his ability scores (which is the default I use until I know the rules a game's going to use, then I adjust them accordingly) and they came out like this:
STR:16
DEX:16
CON:12
INT:18
WIS:8
CHA:18

I'm tempted to shift a couple of points from Intelligence or Charisma into Constitution, since if he gets full health on first level; he's only got 11 HP at the moment. Though 17 AC when naked could make that last for a while.

EDIT: I went with swashbuckler for now because I can't shake the image of a half-dragon wearing a large, foppish hat, a cocky grin, a rapier on his belt and a hot, semi-naked woman on each arm. Hell, with 18 charisma he wouldn't even have to try to seduce a woman.

ShadowFighter15
2009-04-13, 04:47 AM
Just posting this since my last one didn't seem to change the "Last Post" section on the thread list.

Darrin
2009-04-13, 09:36 AM

A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load.

The SRD does not say whether carrying a medium load reduces your flight speed or prevents it altogether. You'll want to check with your DM on how he wants to handle it, because the rules are inconsistent with what happens to flight when carrying a medium/heavy load or wearing medium/heavy armor. Whatever spell/feat/ability that grants flight hopefully mentions what happens when flying while encumbered, although several methods do not.

For example, if you are a Tiefling with Fiendish Bloodline and Outsider Wings (feats from Races of Faerun) you can fly with a medium or heavy load but at a reduced speed.

If you've altered self into an Avariel (Races of Faerun p. 31), then you can fly at your full 50' even while carrying a medium load or wearing medium armor (but not a heavy load or heavy armor).

The various flight spells have their own rules for how much you can carry at what speed.

Mando Knight
2009-04-13, 10:30 AM

...There's Mink from Dragon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Half) Half (http://www.onemanga.com/Dragon_Half/)... who other than horns and retractable tail and wings, looks little like her mother's true form...

ShadowFighter15
2009-04-13, 05:21 PM
...There's Mink from Dragon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Half) Half (http://www.onemanga.com/Dragon_Half/)... who other than horns and retractable tail and wings, looks little like her mother's true form...

Actually that retractable bit reminds me; could a half-dragon get retractable claws? Or even just semi-retractable (like the front half of the claw is always outside the finger, but the back half can be pulled into the finger so that the claws are shorter and not quite as awkward)?

ShadowFighter15
2009-04-14, 12:44 AM
Just to check to make sure I'm reading the rules right (I wish these PDFs were higher-res); half-dragon's can take feats from Races of the Dragon that have the "dragonblood subtype" prerequisite, right? And a human half-dragon still gets the extra feat and skill points from the human side of the family?

I'm wondering because I'm tempted to make the two first-level feats for this character Dragon Wings and Dragon Tail (the tail's more for flavour and I'm thinking he'll get Improved Dragon Wings later for proper flight).

monty
2009-04-14, 12:45 AM
Just to check to make sure I'm reading the rules right (I wish these PDFs were higher-res); half-dragon's can take feats from Races of the Dragon that have the "dragonblood subtype" prerequisite, right? And a human half-dragon still gets the extra feat and skill points from the human side of the family?

Anything with the dragon type also qualifies for anything requiring the dragonblood subtype. Because, y'know, dragons have dragon blood.

ShadowFighter15
2009-04-14, 12:57 AM
I thought so, I just have a habit of skim-reading sometimes (that and, as I said, the PDF of Races of the Dragon I have is a little lower-resolution than I'd like).

Might eventually get him Dragon Breath as well (the feat that lets a half-dragon use their breath weapon as frequently as a true dragon).