PDA

View Full Version : Working on a racial template (Half-Celestial)

Ouranos
2009-04-13, 11:09 AM
So, we all know that there's a half-celestial template in MM1. But, it carries a HUGE level adjustment and is very very overpowered if you lower it. So I've been trying to come up with one for awhile now that still retains the overall flavor without an LA over +1. I didn't want to just re-name Aasimar, but i have yet to come up with anything I liked. Here's what I know:

They'd have no racial ability penalties, but I want to keep bonuses low so the LA doesn't rise.

They would have to have a major glaring weakness, mayhaps be one of the Outsider subtypes and be affected by protection against/magic circle spells.

Not alot of passive supernatural abilities, and few spell-like abilities as well as few racial spells per day.

I'd like to see it as very rounded, with bonuses/abilities that can function and serve any CORE class well without making them immensely powerful. If i could just water down the core book one and be happy about it I would, but they feel empty when I lower it enough to feel right.

Satyr
2009-04-14, 03:16 AM
You could take the Serpents and Sewers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102346) Aasimar template (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Serpents_and_Sewers:_Aasimars). It more or less accord to your prerequisites, and like most S&S stuff, it can be used as an option without the rest of the homebrew.

Ouranos
2009-04-14, 12:25 PM
I do like that alot more then standard Aasimar. I might make a stat adjustment for mine, and actually bring it up to LA+1, but not sure yet, will talk it over with the guy it's for. Thanks much.

Satyr
2009-04-15, 02:50 AM
Yeah, stupid me, the level adjustment got lost in the Aasimar' wiki entry; it is supposed to be a LA+1 template.

Ethrael
2009-04-15, 03:41 AM
Well the Half-fey template has about 3 spells per day,
Charm Person at will, a whole bunch of ability bonuses and it gives you wings. Only for LA +2. So if you don't give it a flying ability, keep the ability bonuses down, as you said, you'll probably have quite a balanced LA +1 template.

I know I'm not much help, I just thought a reference to a published WotC template might help give some perspective..? No? Ok, I'll go now. :smallsmile:

Golden-Esque
2009-04-16, 01:07 AM
So, we all know that there's a half-celestial template in MM1. But, it carries a HUGE level adjustment and is very very overpowered if you lower it. So I've been trying to come up with one for awhile now that still retains the overall flavor without an LA over +1. I didn't want to just re-name Aasimar, but i have yet to come up with anything I liked. Here's what I know:

They'd have no racial ability penalties, but I want to keep bonuses low so the LA doesn't rise.

They would have to have a major glaring weakness, mayhaps be one of the Outsider subtypes and be affected by protection against/magic circle spells.

Not alot of passive supernatural abilities, and few spell-like abilities as well as few racial spells per day.

I'd like to see it as very rounded, with bonuses/abilities that can function and serve any CORE class well without making them immensely powerful. If i could just water down the core book one and be happy about it I would, but they feel empty when I lower it enough to feel right.

Did you try the Book of Exalted Deeds? They have an entire section on the Half-Celestial template and different levels of power you can take. I think it goes from +1 all the way up to something crazy like +5.

Ouranos
2009-04-16, 09:24 AM
Checked that, actually, it only offers a table that shows the level adjustment the 3.5 template gets based on HD, because it scales! >.<