PDA

View Full Version : [Item] Case of many scrolls

asromta
2006-08-22, 07:38 AM
Case of Many Scrolls: This small scroll case is filled with 7 random arcane scrolls when found. The scrolls are all of the same level, which is determined by the level of the case. Each day the case is left unopened 1d8-4 extra arcane scrolls are formed in the case, up to a maximum of 7 in total. The case cannot make any scroll that requires XP or a expensive material component. The case also makes no more scrolls, if more than 14 scrolls created by itself exist. If the case is opened any or all of the scrolls can be taken out and no new scrolls are formed that day. If any item other than an arcane scroll of the appropriad level is placed inside, the item is destroyed the next time new scrolls form inside the case. Any scroll which is brought more than 25 ft. away from the case is destroyed.
Moderate conjuration; CL 7; Craft Wondrous Item, Scribe Scroll, Minor Creation; Price: 1000 GP(level 0), 2.000 GP(level 1), 12.000 GP(level 2), 30.000 GP (level 3), 56.000 GP(level 4), 90.000 GP(level 5), 132.000 GP(level 6),182.000 GP(level 7), 240.000 GP(level 8), 306.000 GP(level 9)

Box of Many Potions: This small box is filled with 5 random potions when found. The potions are all of the same level, which is determined by the level of the box. Each day the box is left unopened 1d6-4 extra potions are formed in the box, up to a maximum of 5 in total. The box cannot make any potion that requires XP or a expensive material component. The case also makes no more potions, if more than 10 potions created by itself exist. If the box is opened any or all of the potions can be taken out and no new potions are formed that day. If any item other than a potion of the appropriad level is placed inside, the item is destroyed the next time new potions form inside the case. Any potion which is brought more than 25 ft. away from the box is destroyed.
Moderate conjuration; CL 7; Craft Wondrous Item, Brew Potion, Minor Creation; Price 2.000 GP(level 0), 4.000 GP(level 1), 24.000 GP(level 2), 60.000 GP(level 3)

Did I get the price right? The table in the DMG doesn't really have something for this.

Loren_and_Kivsith
2006-08-22, 08:55 AM
Very interesting ideas, both of them. Personally, I think the prices should be higher, especially for the lower level versions, because let's face it, low level or not, these items give you an infinite supply of spells. That's always a really good thing, even if you're just getting cantrips.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time right now to make suggestions for price. Ta-ta!

The Glyphstone
2006-08-22, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately, that Scroll case is, while cool, fairly broken.

Initial investment in the 9th-level box: 153,000 GP.
Average price of a 9th-level scroll: roughly 3800 GP.

Let's assume we "take 8" over a period of 8 days. That gives us an average of close to 10 9th-level scrolls per week, or 38,000 GP (assuming Wish is not gained). After 5 weeks, you're making a profit...and have oodles of free scrolls to use. It gets worse if you consider that only Major scrolls can hold 9th level spells, and thus will contain 1d6 of said spells for each scroll...

I'd suggest making it closer a non-artifact Book of Infinite Spells. Have it as a scroll, that changes its contents randomly once each day. Once a spell off it has been used, it's gone for the day.

asromta
2006-08-22, 09:02 AM
Yes, the prices of the lower ones should probably be higher. I tried to have some formula. 40*single item price

There is always a 1 spell on a single scroll, not 1d6. But I like the item this way. If I do so, how costy should it be?

The Glyphstone
2006-08-22, 09:08 AM
Well, that, again, doesn't take into account that it never stops making scrolls...and even one Wish scroll rolled throws everything out of balance. This is the sort of thing artifacts were meant for - for example, the Everfull Purse. Any items such as this, that supply a potentially infinite source of income (barring DM intervention such as "nobody wants to buy your scrolls"), especially at that rate of return.

But if the "scroll creation" thing is essential, it'd be easy to just add a clause to the end - at the beginning of each day, when it makes new scrolls, any scrolls left over from the last day evaporate, thus eliminating the cash cow. Maybe an addition along the lines of "they contain only the base magical inks, without the powerful energies needed to fuel the greatest spells" - so users need to pay relevant XP costs - byebye Wish abuse.

asromta
2006-08-22, 09:15 AM
If I would double the price and stop it from making scrolls with XP cost or expensive material components, would that make it more balanced?

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-22, 10:13 AM
If I would double the price and stop it from making scrolls with XP cost or expensive material components, would that make it more balanced?

Yes, it certainly would. Glyphstone's suggestion is good, but not great, as you would have to cast the spells the day they were made, which doesn't appeal to me. I would simply make it this way to stop the cash cow: scrolls can not leave the scroll case for more than 10 minutes, or they fade into dust. really, the only time you will ever pull the scrolls out is to check the spell, or cast it. You couldn't sell the scrolls in that time. There you go, problem solved.

asromta
2006-08-22, 10:22 AM
But then on every day that you use any of the spells, you don't gain any new ones. What about letting them crumble to dust if they are no longer within 25 ft. of the case?

The Glyphstone
2006-08-22, 10:29 AM
You know, I think you have a typo in the item...it says it makes 1d8-4 scrolls, with a maximum of 7. 1d8-4 will never total higher than 4. If that's supposed to be 1d4+4, then this Desperately needs the fix - my previous estimates were conservative, assuming that 50% of the time you opened it, nothing was there. At a rate of 5-7 scrolls/day, you would be profitable after only 8 days, making between 19,000 and 26,000/day.

Combine your idea about 25ft distance, with something like "cannot produce more than the maximum # scrolls at a time" - to avoid the loophole issue of keeping in, say, a Bag of Holding that you then cram full of all the scrolls you make, and it looks better.

asromta
2006-08-22, 10:40 AM
It means that the case creates 1d8-4 scrolls on any day it is not opened, but if the total number of scrolls would be more than 7, then only scrolls are created untill there are 7 scrolls in the case.

And how about that it will not create scrolls, if more than 15 are still in existance?

The Glyphstone
2006-08-22, 10:42 AM
Why 15? That seems like a rather arbitrary number.

asromta
2006-08-22, 10:45 AM
Is 14 better then?

asromta
2006-08-22, 03:16 PM
Edited the first post.