PDA

View Full Version : "Britain's Got Talent" Phenom: Susan Boyle

Jimorian
2009-04-13, 09:53 PM
I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Over 1.5 million views in less than 2 days, and when you see it (and the way Simon Cowell's jaw drops), you'll understand why. :smallsmile:

Trizap
2009-04-13, 10:01 PM
oh no........first "americas got talent" now this.

thats it.....this is proof that most people in the world are idiots, pretty soon it will be France's got talent, then Germany then "Czechoslovakia's got talent", eventually it will be "China's Got talent" and "India's got talent"

soon there will be "Italian Idol", "Russian Idol" and "Mongolian Idol"

heck, why not "Australia's got talent"? or "Australian Idol"?

why not just cut corners and make one big show called "Earth's got talent" and
"Human Idol"? it will be the crowning achievement of human stupidity in tv.

Jimorian
2009-04-13, 10:07 PM
You either didn't watch, and missed something special, or you did watch and have a heart of coal. :smalltongue:

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-04-13, 10:19 PM

thats it.....this is proof that most people in the world are idiots, pretty soon it will be France's got talent, then Germany then "Czechoslovakia's got talent", eventually it will be "China's Got talent" and "India's got talent"

I donīt know how to break this to you, but... most of those shows already exist.

Metal Head
2009-04-13, 10:24 PM

You know what's also proof of the fact that there are many idiots in this world? People who still think that Czechoslovakia is still a country, despite the fact that it hasn't existed since 1993.

Sneak
2009-04-13, 10:29 PM
You know what's also proof of the fact that there are many idiots in this world? People who still think that Czechoslovakia is still a country, despite the fact that it hasn't existed since 1993.

First off...PWN'D! :smalltongue:

You either didn't watch, and missed something special, or you did watch and have a heart of coal. :smalltongue:

Secondly, it would appear that he didn't watch that. Because no one can watch that video and then bitch about those shows, completely ignoring her performance.

BUT, that's completely off-topic anyway.

So...that video was AMAZING.

Seriously. It may be soppy and sentimental to say it, but that was truly inspirational. It legitimately touched me. :smallredface:

(Bet that girl rolling her eyes in the beginning of the video is getting lots of hate mail right about now. :smalltongue:)

Heads_or_Tails
2009-04-13, 11:04 PM

Of those I'm pretty sure the German and French versions already exist, and I know the Australian ones have been around for a while.

Also, I think The World's Got Talent (or something similar anyway) exists, but it's a clip show of the "highlights" from the different versions.

canterrain
2009-04-14, 01:23 AM
You know, I'm pretty sure Britain's Got Talent came BEFORE America's Got Talent.

But why don't we get this thread BACK on topic since it's derailed so much.

I was floored by this video. And I should know better. If not because of Paul Potts because I have experience in the performance field and I KNOW better than to judge a book by its cover.

But you couldn't help it could you? No one expected her to be just ... wow so good. While she shows signs of needing further training, she has an incredible talent and an ability to hide her accent altogether.

I hope she never has to claim 'unemployed' again.

Jimorian
2009-04-14, 02:28 AM
I was floored by this video. And I should know better. If not because of Paul Potts because I have experience in the performance field and I KNOW better than to judge a book by its cover.

But you couldn't help it could you? No one expected her to be just ... wow so good. While she shows signs of needing further training, she has an incredible talent and an ability to hide her accent altogether.

I hope she never has to claim 'unemployed' again.

Exactly. Given that the reason this vid gets passed along is because she's good, there's still that moment where you can't believe her voice. I was expecting more of the stereotypical "opera" or perhaps a "big mama" bluesy style, and boy were my prejudices slapped upside the head. :smallwink:

There are times when you have to lock away the inner cynic and just absorb the moment for what it is. This was a triumph for the ages.

Dispozition
2009-04-14, 02:51 AM
Both Australian Idol and Australia's got talent (under the name of X-Factor) exist, sorry to break it to ya :P

But, on topic...Wow...Simply wow. Wasn't expecting that even though it seemed obvious she would be good...I'm surprised that she'd gone unnoticed in the music industry with a voice like that...

Irenaeus
2009-04-14, 02:56 AM
Of those I'm pretty sure the German and French versions already exist, and I know the Australian ones have been around for a while.

Also, I think The World's Got Talent (or something similar anyway) exists, but it's a clip show of the "highlights" from the different versions.A Norwegian version has existed a while, and I refuse to believe that we are the cutting edge of plagiarism.

If we have it, I think it is safe that almost every nation in the western world (and probably many more) has it.

I'll listen to the clip later. Work's a-calling.

Someone Else
2009-04-14, 03:20 AM
You know, I'm pretty sure Britain's Got Talent came BEFORE America's Got Talent

It did. One of those things America steels, then assumes it was the creator of.

Like "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" Or Hugh Laurie. (My American relatives didn't believe me when I told them he was English)

As to the performance, my views are simple.

... :)

That is all. Carry on.

RMS Oceanic
2009-04-14, 03:39 AM
I watched this on TV as it happened. It's a classic example of "Don't judge a book by its cover". She's a brilliant singer, and you wouldn't think it from listening to her speaking voice.

Also from BGT, there was the guy attempting to break the world record for Ferraro Roche's consumed in one minute (currently seven), and managed to get four. What was funny about this was:

1. He never got higher than six in his previous attempts.
2. Ant had a go at it at the same time, and managed to get five.

:smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2009-04-14, 04:30 AM
Wow. Good clip.

Dihan
2009-04-14, 05:25 AM
I remember seeing this whilst flicking through the channels. Her comment about her age made me cringe and I couldn't watch her make a fool of herself. Then she started singing and she was actually good. You should watch the other clips from Flawless - a dancing group, Fabia - a revealing dancer, and the general recap.

TheBST
2009-04-14, 07:37 AM
Staged.

Seriously, you think anyone who's involved with making that crappy show was surprised? Not to take anything anyway from the woman- she's got a good voice- but I'm not buying that the judge's reactions were genuine- unless in real life they behave like terrible actors.

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-14, 07:46 AM
...unless in real life they behave like terrible actors.

((Note that I am aware of your location line.))

You do realize they're British, right? They cannot not behave like terrible actors. :smalltongue:

Trizap
2009-04-14, 09:13 AM

you called me an idiot.

unforgivable.

as for everyone else:

what the HELL!? they already EXIST!? gods above, human stupidity really knows no boundaries, including people that think that because I lack some obscure piece of knowledge no one else really knows, such as a country not existing, makes me stupid.

Irenaeus
2009-04-14, 09:40 AM
what the HELL!? they already EXIST!? gods above, human stupidity really knows no boundaries,That is true, it just very old news, just as the copying of reality shows and game shows are incredibly old news.

including people that think that because I lack some obscure piece of knowledge no one else really knows, such as a country not existing, makes me stupid.That information is hardly obscure. And while not knowing it does not make you stupid, it did make you seem arrogant, condascending, and ignorant in the same post, which is a quite unflattering combination, hence the backlash.

Me and you and everyone we know makes mistakes. It's really no biggie.

Mr. Mud
2009-04-14, 09:40 AM
I've seen this on Britain's Got talent before... Different guy, Different song, Same Scenario. The Crowd was laughing at thi guy, even more than Susan Boyle, and then he literally brought simon to tears with his Opera... He was a used car salesman that was recently layed off... and He sang Opera tied with anyone that I've ever heard... :smallamused:.

Sadly this doesn't happen on America's Got Talent... It's to filled with the 6 year olds that can shallow their feet, and the gymnasts that can touch the back of their spine with their heads, or the Curtain Dancers... :smallfrown::smallamused:.

Fawkes
2009-04-14, 09:43 AM
I emailed the video to my family members. That's pretty amazing.

Jimorian
2009-04-14, 11:32 AM
Staged.

Seriously, you think anyone who's involved with making that crappy show was surprised? Not to take anything anyway from the woman- she's got a good voice- but I'm not buying that the judge's reactions were genuine- unless in real life they behave like terrible actors.

The producers knew how good she was, sure, there are auditions to get this far after all, and I'm sure the 2 backstage blokes were anticipating just this kind of reaction, so they knew she had this potential, but there's no reason to let the judges in on the secret. And even if they were, the audience reaction mirrored their "act" perfectly.

I mean it when I say there's a time to NOT be cynical, because it's a very sad thing to not be able to enjoy moments like this for what they are.

TengYt
2009-04-14, 11:54 AM
Agreed, people these days can be way too cynical about stuff like this, which is a shame.

Roland St. Jude
2009-04-14, 12:00 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Locked for review.