PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] Grandma must go down the stairs...

MagFlare
2006-08-21, 12:59 PM
I'm no balance guru, but I've always thought that the maze spell was woefully underpowered. This variant is more my style...

Infinite Staircase
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You banish the subject into an infinite extradimensional spiral staircase composed of force planes. The subject must make a Refex save or begin falling down the stairs, causing 1d6 bludgeoning damage each round. Each round on its turn, it may attempt a Reflex save to stop its descent as a full-round action. Success allows the subject to catch himself and end the spell. If the subject doesn’t escape, the staircase disappears after 5 minutes, forcing the subject to leave.

On escaping or leaving the staircase, the subject reappears where it had been when the infinite staircase spell was cast. If this location is filled with a solid object, the subject appears in the nearest open space. Spells and abilities that move a creature within a plane, such as teleport and dimension door, do not help a creature escape an infinite staircase spell, although a plane shift spell allows it to exit to whatever plane is designated in that spell. However, any spellcaster attempting to cast a plane shift (or any other) spell while falling down the staircase must make a Concentration check at a -4 circumstance penalty or lose the spell. Fly and similar spells do not allow a character to escape from an infinite staircase, although creatures that are naturally buoyant, such as beholders, automatically make the Reflex check to end the spell.

martyboy74
2006-08-21, 01:35 PM
You do realize that by the time you get that spell, the concentration check is obscenely easy to make?

MagFlare
2006-08-21, 01:36 PM
What do you suggest?

The Demented One
2006-08-21, 01:37 PM
You need a terrible secret of space spell to go along with that one. It actually balances out pretty well compared to maze. I like it.

martyboy74
2006-08-21, 01:40 PM
What do you suggest?
Maybe setting the concentration check higher because of spinning down the stairs, make the characters nauseous, perhaps?

MagFlare
2006-08-21, 01:59 PM
You need a terrible secret of space spell to go along with that one. It actually balances out pretty well compared to maze. I like it.

Thanks, TDO. While I think Rich already has the terrible secret (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/STcFi6l45eoAbaxiYPn.html) territory covered, maybe it'd be worthwhile to stat out a couple of warforged grapplers called "Pusher" and "Shover"... ;)

Maybe setting the concentration check higher because of spinning down the stairs, make the characters nauseous, perhaps?

Modified. I don't want it to get too far from its maze roots, though.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-08-22, 01:06 AM
Nah, the spell conjures Pusher & Shover next to the victim. If the victim fails his first Reflex save, they push him into a magical hole onto the staircase.

The Reflex save each round is a full-round action. Once the victim catches himself, he needs to climb back up to the top of the stairs. This takes one round for every round he fell.

Casting spells while tumbling requires two Concentration checks: one versus DC 10 + tumbling damage, and one versus the DC of the spell (for violent motion caused by spell).