PDA

View Full Version : rapidstrike

Stycotl
2009-04-14, 05:04 PM
with the vague wording of the feat, has there been any kind of errata that says that this only works with a full-round attack? anyone know?

Keld Denar
2009-04-14, 05:13 PM
I dunno about any errata, but I've never seen any vague verbage in that feat that would lead you to believe you'd gain any benefit during anything other than a full attack.

The thing I think that is dumbest about the feat is the creature type restrictions. It should be open to anything with paired natural attacks including undead and aberations.

Zincorium
2009-04-14, 05:22 PM
Unless specifically stated otherwise, you always have to use a full attack action to get multiple attacks. This is in the PHB under the various action types.

Rapidstrike has all sorts of questions associated with it's proper use, but that's not one of them.

Stycotl
2009-04-14, 05:22 PM
I dunno about any errata, but I've never seen any vague verbage in that feat that would lead you to believe you'd gain any benefit during anything other than a full attack.

The thing I think that is dumbest about the feat is the creature type restrictions. It should be open to anything with paired natural attacks including undead and aberations.

i ignore the creature type restrictions.

the vagueness comes in the fact that it doesn't mention what kind of attack it is used with. a second attack at a -5 penalty is perfectly reasonable on a standard attack.

the only place that seals it as RAI full attack, is in improved rapidstrike, a different feat entirely, where it gives you a second and third (iterive) attack, all at a further -5 penalty.

even with that though, i'm still wondering if anyone has seen official rulings on that.

i'm tempted to houserule that rapidstrike can be used in any attack scenario, and that improved rapidstrike can only be used in a full attack. so, attack+extra attack (-5 melee), or full attack+extra attack (-5)+extra attack (-10)+extra attack (-15).

Keld Denar
2009-04-14, 05:40 PM
IIRC, the only ways to gain extra attacks on a standard action that don't involve cleave or cleave-like mechanics are Multishot, Snapkick, and Slashing Furry. They all explicitly call out that they are useable in a standard action (in fact, Multishot can ONLY be used in a standard action). Feats like Lightning Maces would be considered a cleave-like mechanic since it only triggers on special conditions during an attack being met.

Stycotl
2009-04-14, 05:49 PM
well, that clarifies it for me. thanks.

still think i'm going to houserule that though.