PDA

View Full Version : Drow Ghost-Faced Killer? Build help!

MustacheFart
2009-04-14, 07:59 PM
Hey all,

I am joining a game next week and after talking with the DM for a while we've come up with a character concept of a Drow Ghost Faced Killer. The reason for the racial choice of Drow is because of the storyline/environment. Basically, almost all Elves have been stamped out via a huge cataclysmic event that scarred the land with taint, except for the Drow who have been living underground (like they do) this whole time.

The party/campaign is more geared toward evil; although, only one party member at the moment is actually evil aligned. I would be the second evil member. The others are non-good aligned.

Basically, due to the huge cataclysmic event that ocurred 600 years before the world has been thrown into darkness. It's become a barbaric chaotic land inhabbited by a massive amount of Undead. All humanoid inhabitant are pretty much out for themselves-looking to score untold wealth and power.

All of that said goody-good holy ideals and beliefs have no place in this world. Anyone foolish enough to live by them will only be rewarded one thing--a very short existence.

One other thing to note about this world is that Arcane magic is shunned and any outward displayal of such is likely to get you killed.

Magic items are also extremely rare! In fact the identify spell has been removed by the DM. Any such magical items found are known as artifacts, their powers hidden to pretty much everyone. The only real way to identify the powers of an artifact is to make a successful UMD check. Or, of course I assume you can discover their powers through the ol' method of trial and error but I imagine that could be hazardous.

Okay, on to the build.

I've never played a Drow before so, any help there would be good. I especially need help with information on playing a character with a LA as I never have before. When do I accrue feats? Is that still at every 3 levels (1,3,6,9,etc)? What about stat points? Are they still at every 4 levels? Does this include the LA? For example, if I had a character that was a Drow Fighter 2 (4th level character) he would get two feats and 1 stat point, right?

We don't have a charismatic/diplomatic member in the party so the idea of my character being a charisma based class (such as the Ghost-Faced Killer) makes even more sense. Plus Drow get a bonus to Charisma so that works out nice.

What I need help with though is basically a build for over levels 1-20. Currently they are level 5 so that is where I'll be joining. Also the DM has approved buying off the +2 level adjustment (so 1 point at 6th and the 2nd at 9th).

I noticed the Drow's spell-like abilities and I think if I could, exploiting their Darkness spell-like ability could be really cool. Since there is a very low amount of magical items in the game, this could really help out. I know of a couple feats in Drow of the Underdark that would let me utilize it better such as being able to see in it, upping it to deeper darkness, etc.

I was thinking maybe something like Hexblade 5/Avenging Executioner 5/Ghost Faced Killer 10.

Any build help would be great (levels, stats, feats to take, etc.). ToB is out and templates are out. Everything else is fair game!

Thanks guys/gals,

MustacheFart

Keld Denar
2009-04-14, 08:34 PM
No, your LA does NOT count when determining level based features like feats and atribute point bonuses. Thus, if you are a Drow Fighter 2, you have 2 HD, 1 feat (for 1st level) and no stat bumps.

Hexblade5 is kinda a dead level, swap it out for Fighter or Rogue or something as long as your DM ignores multiclass penalties.

Invest heavily in Intimidate, especially the skill trick Never Outnumbered. Definitely take the feat Imperious Command. Stack on those fear effects.

Swap out your familair at level 4 for the Dark Companion. That'll help you land fear effects.

Also, see if you can get Dreadful Wrath, even if you don't meet the regional reqs. Between that and Bloody Murder and Imperious Command, you'll scare the bajeebies out of everyone the second you show up.

You should probably use a 2hander, since TWF is feat intensive and you have a number of feats to take already...

MustacheFart
2009-04-14, 09:03 PM
No, your LA does NOT count when determining level based features like feats and atribute point bonuses. Thus, if you are a Drow Fighter 2, you have 2 HD, 1 feat (for 1st level) and no stat bumps.

Hexblade5 is kinda a dead level, swap it out for Fighter or Rogue or something as long as your DM ignores multiclass penalties.

Invest heavily in Intimidate, especially the skill trick Never Outnumbered. Definitely take the feat Imperious Command. Stack on those fear effects.

Swap out your familair at level 4 for the Dark Companion. That'll help you land fear effects.

Also, see if you can get Dreadful Wrath, even if you don't meet the regional reqs. Between that and Bloody Murder and Imperious Command, you'll scare the bajeebies out of everyone the second you show up.

You should probably use a 2hander, since TWF is feat intensive and you have a number of feats to take already...

Ya, the DM has said he isn't imposing any multi-classing xp penalties.

Also, I think much of your advice, you gave me in my other topic I made a few months back about a fear-bomber character build.:smallbiggrin: It's definately good stuff. I've already got to try out the Dark Companion and that is a difinite boon.

Dreadful Wrath? Hmm, is it the one that's part of the feat chain that requires being undead?

---------

Also, I know there are goggles that you can purchase to counteract light sensitivity but I can't find them. The DM has already okayed them as they can be explained scientifically lol.

What about goggles that see through darkness? Not regular darkness but magical darkness? Anyway to do something a feat does without actually taking the feat seems good to me.

As for weaponry, I too figured I should use a 2hander. As you mentioned the TWF chain is very costly in feats. It's also pretty costly in attribute points that I think would be better spent elsewhere. I was planning to probably use a falchion. I think the increased crit chance would probably benefit my Bloody Murder and Frightening Strike abilities more than the increased damage of, say, a greataxe. More crits = more dead = more Bloody Murder/Frightening Strike victims, right?

Especially since magic items are very rare, I can't see getting a keen weapon anytime soon. Given that, I would think a greater natural crit range would be more beneficial than a greater base damage. Unless you have a better suggestion?

Also how should I take the levels of GFK and AE? All of AE first and then all of GFK? Or, some intermixing?

Thanks for the help

EDIT: After just looking up Dreadful Wrath, I've got a question. If say in combat I had 4 guys on me and I use one of my drow spell-like abilities to cast darkness, would that mean I'd gain the Frightful Presence ability against them all? Dreadful Wrath says when an enemy is caught in the area of one your spells... Wouldn't that include darkness? Or does it being a spell like abilitiy cancel that out?

Keld Denar
2009-04-14, 10:22 PM
Sundark Lenses are in Sandstorm.

Falchion is perfect.

Seeing through darkness...I don't really know what item will do that, but Blindfold of Utterdark gives you similar. You can't see anyone outside of 60' though.

And Spell-Like abilities are exactly the same as spells except for a few clarifications set for the the SLA section of the PHB. This doesn't violate any of them, so you CAN fear people with darkness. Makes sense anyway...darkness is scary!

BTW, Darkness isn't pitch black like it used to be in 2nd ed. Its now "shadowy illumination". The only penalties that darkness causes is 20% concealment. Funny thing, Darkness actually makes pitch dark areas lighter. Doesn't make much sense, but thems the rules!

MustacheFart
2009-04-15, 12:42 AM
As for items to see through darkness I just found this beauty of an item in Drow of the Underdark:

"Gloom Mask - [3,000 gp] 3 times per day you gain the ability to see in darkness out to 30 feet. This sight penetrates all forms of darkness, even that created by a deeper darkness spell; the effect lasts for 5 rounds.

In addition, 3 times per day, any spell or spell-like ability up to 3rd level with the darkness descriptor that you cast functions as if you had cast it with the Widen Spell metamagic feat."

Then you could take the Intensify Darkness feat from the same book that lets you spend a full round to use your darkness spell-like ability to create deeper darkness instead.

Finally, combo the above feat and item with the Dreadful Wrath feat you mentioned.

Effectively, what the above combo would mean, is a 120' foot area of Deeper Darkness in which everyone within must make a save versus the frightful presence ability granted by Dreadful Wrath.

120" aoe fear in which I have cover? Not to mention Deeper Darkness lasts for 1 day/level. I assume it lasts just as long when casted as a spell-like ability. I could cast it on my belt or something that I can keep hidden/covered, only uncovering it when I need it. Seems pretty badass to me. Now while we can't really get magical items, I was told a druid in the party is close to being able to make them. Making a 3,000 gp item shouldn't be too hard.

Actually, there is a feat I just found in the same book called At Home in the Deep that let's you see in shadowy illumination created by Darkness. The only prereqs are darkness as a spell-like ability and darkvision. I got both of those covered.

So, for a starting build I am thinking:

Drow Hexblade 3 (2 LA + 3 hexblade = 5th level which I'm starting at)

Feats:
Flaw #1: At Home in the Deep
Flaw #2: Intensify Darkness
Character level 1 (ECL 3 I guess): Dreadful Wrath
Character level 3 (ECL 5 I guess): ??? - Not sure here, maybe Power Attack or Imp. Initiative to take care of a PrC prereq.

The only downside is I can't take Imperious Command until I'm effectively 7th level due to the +2LA.

-------------

Question: What book is the Scythe listed in? It seems like it would be a better fit for flavor reasons lol.

Keld Denar
2009-04-15, 12:48 AM
Scythe? Seriously? Check the PHB...or here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#scythe)!

Os1ris09
2009-04-15, 12:48 AM
A better weapon may be worth the feat. use Great Falchion from Sandstorm as well.

MustacheFart
2009-04-15, 02:46 AM
Actually, I remember reading somewhere about a Great Scythe but I can't seem to find it again.

I thought of Scythe more out of badass aesthetics/functionality than actual stats. Kind of like a homage to the Grim Reaper, ya know?

Behold_the_Void
2009-04-15, 02:54 AM
Scythe isn't a terrible weapon all things considered. You can afford to use it and sacrifice optimization a bit for the thematic effect.

MustacheFart
2009-04-15, 09:55 PM
Blindfold of Utterdark gives you similar.

Which book is Blindfold of Utterdark in? I can't seem to find it.

Keld Denar
2009-04-15, 10:05 PM
Magic Item Compendium

9/10 times, if you don't recognize a magic item, check there!

olentu
2009-04-15, 11:10 PM
For some reason I seem to remember the blindfold that grants blindsight being Blindfold of True Darkness rather then Blindfold of Utterdark.

Keld Denar
2009-04-16, 01:53 AM
My bad, you are probably right. I ment Blindfold of True Darkness, and it is in MIC.

Person_Man
2009-04-16, 10:45 AM
Ghost Faced Killer sucks. You can gain Invisibility or Greater Invisibility or Swift Invisibility with low level spells. Sudden Strike < Sneak Attack, and it only gains +3d6 Sudden Strike over 10 levels. Frightful Attack is weaker then a host of Fear based feats/spells.

Avenging Executioner is good, at ECL 6-11. Beyond that your Save DC stops progressing, and tons of enemies will be immune to Fear and Sudden Strike.

What books are available, and what are your precise build goals (massive damage, defense, scouting, diplomacy, battlefield control, utility, etc)?

Off the top of my head, if you're going to be a drow, you should consider 3 levels of Demonbinder (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070430a&page=3). This PrC doesn't get used very often, because it requires that you be a drow, and the +2 LA just isn't worth it in most cases. But if you're going with drow for fluff reasons, it's a good choice. Whenever you bind a demon, you get telepathy, bonus hit points, and other benefits - like bonuses to Bluff/Diplomacy, Gaseous Form, True Seeing, extra arms (for Multiweapon Fighting), or Wings.

MustacheFart
2009-04-17, 12:37 AM
You can gain Invisibility or Greater Invisibility or Swift Invisibility with low level spells.

One other thing to note about this world is that arcane magic is shunned and any outward display of such is likely to get you killed.

Avenging Executioner is good, at ECL 6-11. Beyond that your Save DC stops progressing, and tons of enemies will be immune to Fear and Sudden Strike.

Well looking at it that way, wouldn't it actually be ECL 6-10? AE is only a 5 level PrC.

What books are available, and what are your precise build goals (massive damage, defense, scouting, diplomacy, battlefield control, utility, etc)?

Any build help would be great (levels, stats, feats to take, etc.). ToB is out and templates are out. Everything else is fair game!

As far as my goals with the build, that's kind of a loaded question. The answer is based very much off "fluff" as you call it. My character is not really "filling a role." Here is the general low-down:

The current party consists of:

1 Druid - Not sure his prerogative yet as I haven't joined game yet.
1 Swashbuckler + *some other class(es)* with plans to go into Assassin - Hates Bloodspeakers.
1 Duskblade - Was a slave and has seemed to join the Swashbuckler in his campaign against Bloodspeakers

Ok, now the world was basically this nice place for all who lived there, yadda yadda (typical/standard DnD world). Then *BOOM* a great cataclysmic event occurred when a BBEG was killed. The land was scarred severely. Because of this event, the world changed drastically. Over the next 600 years, Elves (except drow, explained in first post), magic (items and spells, just arcane in general), and peace died out. Bloodspeakers (taken from Ryokugan) began running amuck across the world, which is now covered in huge amounts of taint, summoning crazy amounts of undead. This is where the game starts.

Now it turns out the BBEG who died 600 years ago was a member of a super secret group called Myra and actually just a puppet. The party doesn't know this though. I am a member of Myra! However, I do NOT know there true intentions. Out of character, all I know is they are supporting the bloodspeakers.

The party will NOT know I am a member of Myra right off the bat. In fact the party doesn't even know about Myra - nobody does. The DM wasn't planning on introducing them yet but he said I was the perfect opportunity.

My character is a Drow who has since left the underdark in order to acquire Artifacts (magic items) and gain information about the state of the world. The state of the world is very important because it's looking as though the surface world is becoming a lot like the Underdark. However, my character is mainly out for the Artifacts.... He LOVES the shinnies even though he really hasn't attained one yet, only seen some.

I joined Myra after they saved me from some Bloodspeakers (which is funny because they support them but I don't know that). They decided to save me because of my abilities to move about unseen and upon revealing myself, strike fear into all that I face. Basically, think: sneaky...sneaky...sneaky......BOO...NOW DIE!!!

Simply put, I want to scar the bejesus out of anyone I target; using that fear to both prevent myself from harm and take out my enemy.

If I'm not really getting hit, I shouldn't need to worry about doing massive damage. If I am the only one doing damage, I can pretty much trickle down my opponent if need be, right?

I figured since I am being a Drow, making use of their Darkness spell-like abilities could really prove beneficial to this style of combat. Plus Darkness is scary!!!

I guess you could say, taking my Darkness abilities into account, my character would lean more toward battlefield control.

Here are the things I do want for my character:

1) Be scary! Make good utilization of fears/intimidates/etc all under the thematics of Death, the Grim Reaper.

2) Utilize melee attacks as my main source of damage. I'm not opposed to other types of damage but I want to cleave and maim those that I scare (Ex. Grim Reaper chops a head off with his Scythe).

3) Prevent as much incoming damage as possible! Nothing can kill death himself!

Given the very low amount of magic items in the game atm most encounters are going to be very close to our level.

Here are the things I do NOT want for my character:

1) Relying on magic to do my fearing. I don't mind using some magic, I just don't want it to be my shtick!

2) Utilizing undead monsters. Given the prevalence of Undead in the world I don't want my character summoning Undead, Controlling Undead, etc. The level of control from locking them down through fear is okay though (though I doubt this would be easily accomplished).

3) Finally, I don't want to be some dedicated undead slayer! I am evil! I don't really care about whiping their existence from the world. Hell, if the Bloodspeakers who summoned them wished to serve me, I'd be totally fine with it!

That's basically my character concept!

Another thing to note, is that after talking with the DM, he's decided to make a black robe and scythe be the common theme of Myra members since apparently his BBEG who I haven't met yet was/is supposed to be a variable incarnation of Death himself. By common theme, I mean each member is given a robe*. Basically I mentioned my character concept and he informed me he planned his BBEG to be pretty much the same thing concept wise (not classes/PrCs/stats-wise though). This isn't the first time we've come up with the same stuff individually before lol.

*About the robe, it's got a very unique function that can be activated by the wearer at his or her command. When not activated it looks like pretty much whatever you want it to be (mine is a crimson robe). Upon activation it changes into a black robe and whatever weapon he or she is holding changes into a Scythe. The original weapon gets absorbed into the robe. I'm going to talk to the DM about maybe letting other items get absorbed or appear from activating the robe, specifically a mask! Basically, think glove of storing but Robe of Storing.

That's all of it lol!