PDA

View Full Version : changling sorceror help

nysisobli
2009-04-15, 05:46 AM
Hello i am making a changling sorceror, and im doing it for roleplaying perspective so i dont want him to be OP i just want him to be a team player, i was thinking of playing the blaster of the group can anyone help me with spell selection? Also i am not interested in playing any other spell casting class other then the sorceror, regardless of the reasoning behind it, all i know is at one point i will be going into the prc of recaster.

Thanks

Crazy Scot
2009-04-15, 08:39 AM
Okay, let's start with some basics. You have chosen the character base, so let me see if I can come up with some suggestions on specifics. First, to eventually get into Recaster, you will need (among other things) to be able to cast 3rd level spells [meaning at least 6 levels of sorcerer] and two metamagic feats. So by 6th level you will get 3 feats, plus any from flaws. But since you haven't mentioned any of those, I will skip that fact. You can delay entry a bit if you want (until after 9th level) if you want to get other feats first, but you won't have many to play with either way. So...metamagic feats for Sorcerers... Eschew Materials you get for free as a 1st level Recaster, so taking it before would be less than smart. Other than that, you can choose just about anything because no matter what they are they will make your spells longer to cast. But as a suggestion, choose two from the following list (also found in the ability description "Sudden Metamagic" from Recaster) because if you don't you lose a class ability: Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Maximize Spell, Widen Spell. Each of these can be useful in combat situations, except maybe Extend Spell unless it is cast on buffs. So really, just choose two.

For your other feat, I might recommend a reserve feat. If you want to be a blaster, and not run out of spells part way through the day, this would be a good option. Since you aren't sitting on huge quantities of feats, you will have to specialize a bit here, but it will give you some staying power through an entire fight or day.

As for spell selection, I would recommend a buff or two (preferably mass buffs), and maybe one or two utility spells, but if you want to be a blaster, that is where most of your spells should be focused. As always, it is good to have at least one spell that targets one of each save ability, AC, and touch AC if possible. That way you won't be caught out of sorts in a battle.

Taking a look at the "Expanded Knowledge" ability from Recaster, you get to add two spells to your spell list. Now, I don't know how your DM will rule this, but he has two choices as I see it: 1) you get a bonus known spell, or 2) you still have to use a spell known slot to use it. Now, since you have access to some of the good blaster-type spells from your normal spell list, this would be two good opportunities to get other spells to help things out with the group. You could choose cross class buff spells, utility spells, or something of the sort. One note, though, while you didn't mention the composition of your party, it might be nice to have a back-up healer if you are running short in that category. Having a heal spell (even a weak one) could come in handy just in case the party's normal healer falls. Additionally, this would hurt you more, but pending how much heals the party has to start with it could come in handy, if you take a 2nd level heal spell you can get the reserve feat "Touch of Healing" to be a good back-up healer (found in CCham p.62). If you don't take this feat, I would recommend the party's main healer take it.

Again, you aren't playing the most optimized combination, but you already said that, you are aware of it, and you don't want to change that. I respect your decision. What is left is looking at what you will need for prereq's to get into your PrC and any others to play with to make your guy last longer in combat. I have tried to outline my feelings on this above. While I don't play many arcane casters, and sorcerers barely at all, I have tried to be as helpful as I could be though. Good luck with this, however you choose to play.

nysisobli
2009-04-15, 09:04 AM
touch of healing is something to look at, i was also looking at maximize and empower metamagic feats.

Thank you for your input i appreciate it, im still looking for some more help if anyone else wants to give me a hand.

Keld Denar
2009-04-15, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't get both Maximize and Empower. Maximize is kinda over rated, IMO. For that extra +1 spell level over Empower, you don't really gain much statistically. Plus, its more fun to just roll all those dice! :P

I'd go with Empower and Sculpt. Sculpt is awesome in so many ways.

If you want to go with the blaster concept, thats fine and dandy. Make sure you don't overburden yourself with blasty spells, though. You don't need both Fireball AND Lightning Bolt, for example. 9/10 times, Fireball will be the better choice, and that 1/10th time you can just use a similar spell. Also, try to pick Conjouration blasts over Evocation blasts as much as you can. Conjourations are typically around similar strength to similar leveled Evocations, except that the Conjourations don't check against SR. This becomes even more important at higher levels.

Any idea what level you'll be starting at? If you tell use, we could help you put together a pretty diversified blasty spell list that gets your bang and keeps you party valuable when you can't blast.

Also, what books do you have available? The biggest one is Spell Compendium, although Complete Mage and PHBII have some great spells too.

nysisobli
2009-04-15, 11:18 AM
he said i can use the spell com. and the players handbook, and if there are a few spells outside those that would be fine.

Keld Denar
2009-04-15, 11:47 AM
What starting level?

I'll go with 4th for now.

0th - Doesn't matter....

1st -
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Grease

2nd - Glitterdust or Scorching Ray

Thats really really a great start. Glitterdust/ScorchingRay is kinda a coin toss. Whichever you pick, grab the other at 5th level. Glitterdust is amazing if you take a second to stop and think about it. Will save....vs blinded. Who are you gonna mostly use it against? Melee foes, primarily fighters and rogues who have bad will saves and suffer the most from being blinded. It also reveils almost all invisible and hiding foes so you can hit them better. Its almost too good NOT to take. For your other 1st level spell when you get to 5th, I'd suggest Lesser Acid Orb (SpC). It'll do comperable damage to MM, and, while shorter range and requiring a touch attack, has the advantage of bypassing all SR. Great if you hit a clay or flesh golem or any drow/creatures with SR at about this level.

When you get to 6th level, Haste is a no brainer. You may be tempted by Fireball, but Haste is gonna be a huge bonus. 7th level then, get either Fireball or Scintilating Sphere (SpC). These are your long and short range AoE nukes.

avr
2009-04-15, 06:14 PM
Sculpt spell won't be as useful for a recaster - you get to change the shape of your spells thru class features once you're into that PrC, after all.

Color spray has a shape you can use with those class features, though the short range is annoying. Grease doesn't.