PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Pyrokineticistdipping (Two-Weapon-fighting?)-Character?

d3vil
2009-04-15, 04:35 PM
Hey!

In desperation I've chosen to request advice from the mighty GitP-Community.

I've been thinking the last three weeks about a Character i want to play in our Return to Temple of Elemental Evil Campaign.
I want to create a character that uses the Fire Lash ability from the Pyrokineticist as his primary weapon (or at least as an offhand weapon). Well, that wouldn't be much of a problem, but I'm not satisfied with the damage output of the options I considered. Since our campaign is pretty demanding in terms of power, i need to contribute at least a little damage (which means, more then 1d8+1 because of Point Blank Shot).

I considered Daring Outlaw, but sneaking with a ranged weapon is kind of ... meh ...
I considered using a onehanded version of the spiked chain (homebrew) as my second weapon, but flanking with reach weapons isn't so no sneakdice here unless the opponents are flatfooted (which they aren't).
Weapon Finesse should be included because of the ranged-attack nature of Fire Lash.

The character is going to be level ten.

Books allowed, besides core: PHB2, Complete Series (no skilltricks from CScoundrel, no CChampion), FR-Specifics, Races of, possibly others.
NOT ALLOWED is Tome of Battle.

Thanks in advance!

Keld Denar
2009-04-15, 04:52 PM
Who says you can't flank with a reach weapon? Cause there is nothing in the rules that suggests you can't. Check this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#flanking) out.

When in doubt about whether two friendly characters flank an opponent in the middle, trace an imaginary line between the two friendly characters’ centers. If the line passes through opposite borders of the opponent’s space (including corners of those borders), then the opponent is flanked.

It takes a bit more work to figure out, but not much more. Its perfectly legal, as long as you threaten. Whips don't threaten, but Spiked Chains and Whip Daggers do.

One piece of advice I have, is that you'll want to watch the handedness of your offhand weapon. If this 1handed spiked chain you said you'll be using is indeed a 1handed weapon, you'll suffer -4/-4 on your attack, instead of -2/-2. That hurts, especially if you are losing BAB due to Rogue and Pyro levels.

ocato
2009-04-15, 04:56 PM
Hmm, I have an idea for a Lurk (Complete Psionics) but It may depend on stats. I was pretty much thinking of a psychic rogue-type character who slips out a tendril of fire to trip opponents, then follows up with sneak attack greatsword to the face.

You get martial weapon proficiencies, sneak attack (plus the ability to force sneak attacks, pump your SA damage, and sneak undead/constructs), and powers. If you can muster a good Intelligence and a Good Strength with a reasonable Dex (and maybe a little charisma), you should be good to go. The Whip means you've got reach, the sword means you're a threat, and the powers mean you've got options. It's been a while since I did 3.5, just a thought.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-04-15, 04:58 PM
Hey!

In desperation I've chosen to request advice from the mighty GitP-Community.

I've been thinking the last three weeks about a Character i want to play in our Return to Temple of Elemental Evil Campaign.
I want to create a character that uses the Fire Lash ability from the Pyrokineticist as his primary weapon (or at least as an offhand weapon). Well, that wouldn't be much of a problem, but I'm not satisfied with the damage output of the options I considered. Since our campaign is pretty demanding in terms of power, i need to contribute at least a little damage (which means, more then 1d8+1 because of Point Blank Shot).

I considered Daring Outlaw, but sneaking with a ranged weapon is kind of ... meh ...
I considered using a onehanded version of the spiked chain (homebrew) as my second weapon, but flanking with reach weapons isn't so no sneakdice here unless the opponents are flatfooted (which they aren't).
Weapon Finesse should be included because of the ranged-attack nature of Fire Lash.

The character is going to be level ten.

Books allowed, besides core: PHB2, Complete Series (no skilltricks from CScoundrel, no CChampion), FR-Specifics, Races of, possibly others.
NOT ALLOWED is Tome of Battle.

Thanks in advance!

Fire Lash is not ranged anymore. They fixed the whole whip-as-ranged-weapon crap and made it a melee weapon. That means no Point Blank Shot, but it DOES mean Power Attack + Improved Trip. Imagine combo with Expansion to trip everything within 30' of you...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-04-15, 05:13 PM
Fire Lash (Ps)
A pyrokineticist gains the ability to fashion a 15-foot-long whip of fire from unstable ectoplasm as a move-equivalent action. She takes no damage from a fire lash she creates, and if she releases her hold, it immediately dissipates. The lash deals 1d8 points of fire damage to a target within 15 feet on a successful ranged touch attack. A pyro can take Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization (if she otherwise meets the prerequisites) in conjunction with the fire lash, as well as any feats that apply to the use of a standard whip. The whip remains in existence as long as the pyrokineticist holds it.
Point Blank Shot will always apply. Power Attack, Leap Attack, and any feats that apply to the use of a standard whip can be used with a Fire Lash. Note that any additional damage you deal, such as from Power Attack or Sneak Attack, is added as the same type of damage as the weapon deals, in this case fire damage. Power Attack is particularly useful in this case due to it being a touch attack. You should also be able to use it two-handed, so don't even worry about dual-wielding it.

There are a lot of creatures outright immune to fire damage, so I would probably go with a Sonokineticist (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e) instead.