PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Asap! (3.5)

Froogleyboy
2009-04-15, 08:56 PM
Wazzup guys, I've got a Stonechild fighter in one of my campaign who's tickin me off. Every friggin monster I throw at him don't last long enough to bother him. Please help me with this. i will make you a cookie =)

Starbuck_II
2009-04-15, 08:58 PM
Wazzup guys, I've got a Stonechild fighter in one of my campaign who's tickin me off. Every friggin monster I throw at him don't last long enough to bother him. Please help me with this. i will make you a cookie =)

Tell more about him:
Weapon, level, etc.

Froogleyboy
2009-04-15, 09:07 PM
He is level 12 with a greataxe. I don't want him dead i just want him knocked down a knotch

Zanatos777
2009-04-15, 09:10 PM
Things like feats and magic items would also be needed to help effectively.

Thanks

JonestheSpy
2009-04-15, 09:15 PM
Undead. Incorporeal. Level and ability drain. Makes tanks cry.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-15, 09:17 PM
Ray of Enfeeblement. Figure out his Str, then have a Caster metamagic it to knock him down to 10-12 right before a big battle. He still can do stuff, but many feats will be suddenly out of reach.

Keld Denar
2009-04-15, 09:32 PM
See also Solid Fog (PHB) and its big brother Freezing Fog (SpC). Those will make him sit out a couple rounds or more while he tries to figure out how to get out of it!

WaterTengu
2009-04-15, 09:34 PM
reduce person. especially if he bases himself on his Large size.

Frosty
2009-04-15, 09:45 PM
Wait, a FIGHTER is giving your campaign trouble at level 12? What will be next? A Scout breaking your campaign? /joking

Anyhow. You could send stuff that are tough against physicals and have miss chances. Have enemies that can cast Grreater Mirror Image, or Displacement, or Greater Invisbility, etx. anything to make him work for his hits. Also, have big monsters grapple him. Old Dragons usually work.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-04-15, 09:47 PM
In Haiku form:

A wizard with fly
Is hard for a tank to hit
the fighter is sad

Assassin89
2009-04-15, 09:53 PM
He is level 12 with a greataxe. I don't want him dead i just want him knocked down a knotch

Is he a 6th level fighter, or are monster class level in effect?

As greataxes are slashing weapons, some monsters with DR might be a good idea.
A rust monster might also help, as it might destroy the fighter's weapon even if the rust monster dies in the process.
If you do use a rust monster, make sure that damage is done to it before the weapon is destroyed.

If the group has any casters, make sure that they know blink in order to counter the blind-fight feat stonechildren automatically get.

erikun
2009-04-15, 10:19 PM
Is it really necessary to "take him down a notch"? Trust me, I've DM'd before, so I feel your frustration. However, the solution isn't always to beat in the player's head. It isn't to beat in their character's head, either. :smallredface:

Perhaps you should try designing encounters where the Stonechild Fighter needs to hold off some big threat, while the other party members take on some lesser threat? It allows him to hammer away at the big, dangerous thing while the others and shine fighting whatever else is there.

Anyways, if you want some challanges, here's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Cleric of Kord, Greatsword + good armor. Divine Power (precast), Cat's Grace (precast), Bear's Endurance (precast), Shield (precast), Greater Magic Weapon (precast), Magic Vestment (precast), then have him cast Enlarge Person right as the fight begins. That's something like +6 Hit, +13 damage, AC 24, +36 HP above a standard cleric right from the start. Refluff as needed. It should give the party an appreciation for cleric buffs. :smallbiggrin: (And yes, I know Shield isn't a cleric spell. Assume a wizard did it.)

Hill Giant with levels in Barbarian to bring it up to CR 12. Maybe two of them. They should be rather hard to take down.

Golems.

Jack_Simth
2009-04-15, 10:29 PM
(And yes, I know Shield isn't a cleric spell. Assume a wizard did it.)

Magic Domain + Scroll (or wand) covers it quite easily.

Irate Ranger
2009-04-15, 10:36 PM
Try a rust monster, in a few rounds that Greataxe will be an improvised quarterstaff.

Froogleyboy
2009-04-15, 10:55 PM
he is the only player AT THE MOMENT

newbDM
2009-04-15, 11:00 PM

Where you located? Maybe you are near someone who wants a group?

Anyway, perhaps a potion of Bale Polymorph with a false label saying "Cure Serious Wounds"? Just use the reincarnation table, or make your own detailed one (I used the LA+0 list from the Master Player Race List thread on the WotC races forum).

KBF
2009-04-15, 11:02 PM

Wait, so there are no other characters to overshadow? It's just him?

Just up the CR until he's bothered. Not rocket science.

ocato
2009-04-15, 11:05 PM
Be careful, your options here are:

Make him fight stuff he can kill easily

Make him fight stuff that wear him out to the point of death

Make him fight stuff he can't ever hope to beat.

The second and third options could spell bad news for your game if you have one guy. I suggest harassing him with out of combat situations like puzzles, challenges that require the use of skills, and maybe a few traps.

Nohwl
2009-04-15, 11:31 PM
send a dragon at him. one of the cr appropriate ones and have it use nothing but hit and run tactics.