PDA

View Full Version : Insectile Creatures (3.0)

JellyPooga
2009-04-16, 02:18 AM
So I was reminded about the Insectile Creature template from Savage Species by the thread that's around at the mo about some guy looking for a +2 LA template. Anyway, I had another look at it and it specifically states that although you get another 4 arms, you don't get any extra attacks. Does this mean that you can't Multiweapon Fight using those extra arms, or am I just being silly? Also, if you can't, what's the point of the extra arms?

Another thing: Wouldn't an Insectile Thri-Keen be weird? I mean, they already are! Having said that, they would be kinda cool with the whole 8 arms thing going on...octupi eat your heart out, I've got 10 limbs!

Thurbane
2009-04-16, 02:41 AM
Having said that, they would be kinda cool with the whole 8 arms thing going on...octupi eat your heart out, I've got 10 limbs!
So do squid. :smalltongue:

AmberVael
2009-04-16, 10:30 AM
Also, if you can't, what's the point of the extra arms?

Even if you're not allowed to make extra attacks in any way with the arms, there are plenty of nifty things you can use them for.
Such as dual wielding two handed weapons AND holding a shield.

Also, I believe there is a rule somewhere that states if you put an extra hand on a weapon (above a second), you add another half to your strength bonus. So like, x2 strength damage for three arms, 2.5 for four, etc. You could use the arms for that.

I have no idea where it is- it might be a house rule- but I do recall hearing it somewhere (and using it for a very bizarre anthropomorphic insectile squid character).

Faleldir
2009-04-16, 11:54 AM
The MWF chain replaces the TWF chain for Thri-Kreen, and Rangers don't have to meet the prerequisites for their bonus feats. You use your four main arms to wield light crossbows, one arm to reload/deflect, two arms to climb, and you still have one left.

Darth Stabber
2009-04-16, 01:04 PM
Insectile Thri-kreen sounds and acts very redundantly, that being said, rule of Cool/Funny makes me very interested. Quad greatsword wielding Thri-kreen ranger/barbarian/Fighter Ubercharger FTW

chiasaur11
2009-04-16, 01:07 PM
The MWF chain replaces the TWF chain for Thri-Kreen, and Rangers don't have to meet the prerequisites for their bonus feats. You use your four main arms to wield light crossbows, one arm to reload/deflect, two arms to climb, and you still have one left.

For flipping the bird, one presumes.

Dr_Horrible
2009-04-16, 01:26 PM
1) the entry about extra attacks means that something with 2 claw attacks still has two claw attacks, not 8.

2) Can you use insectile arms to hold daggers? Yes you can.

3) Multiweapon fighting: "A creature with this feat may fight with a weapon in each hand. It may make one extra attack each round with each weapon."

Not that it doesn't say that you have to be able to attack with the limb beforehand. It just says, you can attack once per hand, if you have the weapons.

JellyPooga
2009-04-16, 01:53 PM
Insectile Thri-kreen sounds and acts very redundantly, that being said, rule of Cool/Funny makes me very interested. Quad greatsword wielding Thri-kreen ranger/barbarian/Fighter Ubercharger FTW

I'm not so sure about 'acting' redundantly...there's actually very little, if any, overlap between the two. The only bummer is the +4(?) LA in addition to the 2 racial HD. +7 attacks on a full-attack action for a one feat investment (once you've sucked up the LA) isn't too shabby, it has to be said. When it increases to +14 and then +21 with the investment of another 2 feats, you're starting to hit "I need more d20s!" territory!

Kaiyanwang
2009-04-17, 02:32 AM
Refluff as TK mutant, or TK soldier, or blessed-earthmother TK, or anything fitting well with your setting. Now, no redundancy.

BobVosh
2009-04-17, 05:24 AM
I have wondered about this before.

It says "and it gains four more arms."

However it later notes "despite having six arms"

So it is mildly unclear if a TK taking this template has 6 or 8 arms. 6 limbs is the standard for insects...however 4+2 arms then +2 legs makes 8 and is much more spider like.

Well, that is just my rambling, carry on with dreams of 20 attacks with just the MWF tree chain. Goodness knows I thought for a while on it.

golentan
2009-04-17, 05:45 AM
Also, I believe there is a rule somewhere that states if you put an extra hand on a weapon (above a second), you add another half to your strength bonus. So like, x2 strength damage for three arms, 2.5 for four, etc. You could use the arms for that.

I have no idea where it is- it might be a house rule- but I do recall hearing it somewhere (and using it for a very bizarre anthropomorphic insectile squid character).

That's correct. It's in savage species, and the basis for a truly broken spike chain build I saw (20 ft. reach, damage 2d6+52 without power attack or magic).