PDA

View Full Version : Make Cloister

Ehenders
2009-04-16, 02:26 PM
I've been rereading the archives for OOTS lately and I've had an itch about that Cloister spell. The epic handbook does have rules for making custom seeds out of a spell, but to do this counterspell by divination counterspell would take a MULTITUDE of seeds, plus it's effect is a WEEK per caster level, and it applies to everything within an area of MILES for that effect time. However, Xykon was able to cast it and they figure he's only about CR24, 25, so it can't be too psychotically epic.

I was just wondering, and maybe Rich, if you see this, you'll be able to answer - what is the composition of this spell? If nobody has a definitive answer, could somebody homebrew it up?

TRH

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-04-16, 02:45 PM
However, Xykon was able to cast it and they figure he's only about CR24, 25, so it can't be too psychotically epic.

Keep in mind that he could always take the easy route:

1) Research a very simple spell to boost his Spellcraft check, so he can use more powerful spells with fewer drawbacks.

2) Use the higher Spellcraft to research a more powerful spell to boost his Spellcraft again.

3) Use the higher Spellcraft to research a more powerful spell to boost his Spellcraft again.

N) Use his ridiculous Spellcraft to research a Cloister which can be cast in a standard action with no drawbacks.

Epic spellcasting is only limited by time and Spellcraft. He's a lich, so he has plenty of the former; he has epic spellcasting, so he has plenty of the latter.

RMS Oceanic
2009-04-16, 03:28 PM
I threw together a version that had a DC of 79. Starting with the Ward Seed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/seeds/ward.htm), let it protect against level 9 spells, vastly up the range/area/duration, and throw in some ad hoc factors about ignoring Conjuration[Calling] and arcane focuses and the like.

And then it got garbled in this post. :(

DanielLC
2009-04-18, 07:25 PM
He doesn't stat out the characters. That probably also applies to the spells. For example, familicide kills without saving throws. That is all but impossible. The closest you could get is using the slay seed, and increasing the damage to the point where you'd die even if you pass the save. In any case, it costs +8 per additional target. That would probably give this a DC in the thousands.

Chronos
2009-04-18, 11:04 PM
He doesn't stat out the characters.Correction: He doesn't publish stats for the characters. Given how few inconsistencies the combined talents of the gaming nerds in the Class and Level Geekery thread have found over the course of the strip, he's almost certainly keeping stats for them; he's just willing to occasionally sacrifice consistency for the sake of the story.