PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Dragon Crush + Iron Body?

Ent
2009-04-16, 08:20 PM
Would you increase the damage of a Crush (Ex) attack of a dragon (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersDrtoDw.html#dragon-true) by a factor of ten, if it had Iron Body (Sor/Wiz 8) (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsHtoL.html#iron-body) cast upon it?

Specifically I'm wondering about my Red Dragon Wyrm's Crush attack which is at (4d6 + 22) normally. I probably don't even need to figure this out, and Iron Body is probably more of a debuff for a dragon, but I thought it might make for a fun/frightening trick in a lvl 20 one shot vs. my dragon.

Assassin89
2009-04-16, 08:36 PM
Iron Body would increase the damage, but not by a factor of ten. As damage done by crush is dependent on the strength modifier, the crush attack would do (4d6 + 25) due to the +6 enhancement bonus to strength, provided that the dragon does not have any other sources of enhancement bonuses to strength.

Harperfan7
2009-04-16, 08:45 PM
Oh wow, really good idea!

I would say it would do 20d6+25 damage, or 24d6+25. I could be mistaken, but falling objects never do more than 20d6 right? The weight/falling damage never increases after that (unless I'm wrong, I don't have my DMG right now). So, if I am right, base damage (either +25 or 4d6+25, I'm not sure which) plus a maximum of 20d6 weight damage.

Ent
2009-04-16, 08:48 PM
Maybe I was just blowing the weight increase of Iron Body way out of proportion. Should weighing significantly more (10x from the spell) alter the Crush attack?

Eldariel
2009-04-16, 09:04 PM
The rules themselves include no change of damage. However, common sense dictates that when something sits on you, its weight does affect the amount of damage you receive. So assuming you're willing to house rule such (and withstand the ensuing droppamania your players will no doubt get caught in), it seems like a fine idea.

But yeah, true dragon weight figures are 8000lb up, so if they were treated by the dropping rules, which I recall is 100lb for 1d6 (or improvised weapon throwing), even a small one should deal that 20d6 damage.

Salt_Crow
2009-04-16, 10:34 PM
Hmm you could make a pun about how the dragon had a crush on the PCs XD

*runs away into the distance*

bosssmiley
2009-04-17, 08:35 AM
I'd say no difference. You're being crushed by something that weighs tons either way.

lord_khaine
2009-04-17, 09:04 AM
I'd say no difference. You're being crushed by something that weighs tons either way.

i agree, if we are bringing logic into this then im pretty sure it should not be able to move to start with.