2006-08-21, 01:56 AM
Salt Golem
Size/Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 12d10+30 (96 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +14 natural), touch 8, flatfooted 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+20
Attack: Slam +17 melee (2d8+9 plus desiccating strike)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +17 melee (2d8+9 plus desiccating strike)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Desiccating strike, ingest salt
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., erosion, immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 8, Con –, Int –, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: –
Feats: –
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 13-25 HD (Large), 26-32 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: –

Salt Golems are constructs favored as guardians by desert-dwelling mages. Their every strike drains the water from the flesh of those they strike, slowly turning them to salt. This, combined with their ability to repair themselves by consuming salt, makes then an all but self-sustaining guardian for treasure, as long as they can be kept away from their one weakness--water. Salt Golems are humanoid in shape, but sharp-edged, multifaceted, and angular.

Desiccating Strike (Su)
A creature hit by a Salt Golem’s slam attack must make a DC 16 Fortitude save or take 5d6 point of desiccation damage. Plants and creatures with the water subtype instead take 5d8 points of damage, and do not get to make a save. A creature reduced to 0 hp by this ability is transformed into a statue of salt, as the flesh to salt spell, caster level 12th, from Sandstorm.

Ingest Salt (Ex)
As a standard action, a Salt Golem may consume up to 10 lbs. of salt. Every pound consumed heals the golem 1 hp. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points, to a maximum of 5 temporary hp per HD, which last for 1 hour.

Erosion (Ex)
A Salt Golem is vulnerable to water. A steady stream of water, like the geyser function of a decanter of endless water, or total immersion deals 10 points of damage per round to it, while lesser amounts of water, such as a steady rain or partial immersion deal 1 point of damage per round. This damage ignores the golem's damage reduction.

Immunity to Magic (Ex)
A Salt Golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below. A magical attack that deals desiccation damage heals it 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points, which last for 1 hour. A flesh to salt* spell cast on the golem restores it to full hp and restores its damage reduction if it has been negated for any reason. A hydrate* spell cast on the golem damages it as if it were a creature with the fire subtype and negates its damage reduction for 3 rounds.
*From Sandstorm

Construction
The body of a Salt Golem is made from 3,000 pounds of rock salt, worth 5,000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 17 Craft (Sculpting) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct, antimagic field, ashen union*, flesh to salt*, geas/quest. Cost 50,000 gp + 3,600 xp. Price 90,000 gp.
*From Sandstorm

Fizban
2006-08-21, 04:02 AM
I'm always up for more golems, looks good to me.
Now we just need to know how many pounds of salt you get per caster level with wall of salt.

UnrealTiger
2006-08-21, 06:08 AM
Perhaps you should note that the damage done to the Salt Golem from the Erosion ability ignores the creatures DR/10 Adamantine otherwise that damage caused is simply instantly negated by said damage reduction.

asromta
2006-08-21, 08:17 AM
How long do temporary hit points from Ingest Salt last?

The Demented One
2006-08-21, 09:03 AM
I'm always up for more golems, looks good to me.
Now we just need to know how many pounds of salt you get per caster level with wall of salt.
Just off the top of my head, I would say as a DM it's not the right "kind" of salt, though I suppose there's nothing specificially prohibiting that. I'll see what I can come up with.

Perhaps you should note that the damage done to the Salt Golem from the Erosion ability ignores the creatures DR/10 Adamantine otherwise that damage caused is simply instantly negated by said damage reduction.
Done.

How long do temporary hit points from Ingest Salt last?
Clairified that.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-21, 09:12 AM
Very cool. I'm suprised something like this wasn't in Sandstorm. I'd put a limit on the ingest salt ability though. Maybe it can only hold twice its healthy HP total? Otherwise I can imagine its master directing it to stuff itself continuously and once the enemy comes, releasing the bloated golem on them.

For example if it had stuffed itself with salt for 30 minutes it'd have around 390 hp and be able to keep its excess for another 30 minutes.

The Demented One
2006-08-21, 09:50 AM
Very cool. I'm suprised something like this wasn't in Sandstorm. I'd put a limit on the ingest salt ability though. Maybe it can only hold twice its healthy HP total? Otherwise I can imagine its master directing it to stuff itself continuously and once the enemy comes, releasing the bloated golem on them.

For example if it had stuffed itself with salt for 30 minutes it'd have around 390 hp and be able to keep its excess for another 30 minutes.
Good point.