PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Sources of Fast Healing

Thrawn183
2009-04-16, 10:35 PM
If a creature, through the addition of templates for example, gains multiple levels of fast healing do they stack?

Remmirath
2009-04-16, 11:03 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't unless they explicitly say they do.

gibbo88
2009-04-16, 11:10 PM
Far as I know, no, they only use the greatest value since it counts as natural healing not magical.

TheCountAlucard
2009-04-17, 01:10 AM
One template I know with stacking Fast Healing is Evolved Undead.

Thurbane
2009-04-17, 02:57 AM
I'm pretty sure that Fast Healing and Regeneration do stack, if you can get both of them...

KillianHawkeye
2009-04-17, 06:36 AM
One template I know with stacking Fast Healing is Evolved Undead.

As far as I can tell, there's no part of the Evolved Undead template that says the fast healing stacks. IMO, it makes more sense for it to NOT stack. Further applications of the template would be worth it with just the Nat. Armor, ability adjustments, and extra SLAs.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-17, 10:58 PM
I would rule that they do. Think about it, you have two different wounds being healed at the same time from different sources. They naturally stack.

CthulhuM
2009-04-18, 06:31 AM
As a general rule, bonuses and abilities of the same type don't stack unless it is specified that they do. Regeneration and fast healing would stack, though, since they are technically different abilities (and the regeneration only heals nonlethal damage anyway).

Dixieboy
2009-04-18, 06:38 AM
I would rule that they do. Think about it, you have two different wounds being healed at the same time from different sources. They naturally stack.

... how would you know this?

From what i can gather you only have on way of stitching up yourself (Having the stuff grow back together) and a doctor doesn't count as fast healing.

Mastikator
2009-04-18, 06:42 AM
I would say they probably do, unless they either explicitly don't, or if it wouldn't make sense that they do.
When in doubt, break down and pick the option that makes the most sense. That's my approach to D&D.

KillianHawkeye
2009-04-18, 07:30 AM
Fast Healing doesn't stack for the same reason that Damage Reduction or Darkvision or any other special quality doesn't stack with itself. Not stacking is the default in D&D. Things only stack when they specifically say so. This also holds true for spells, feats, items, bonus types, etc.

Example: If I have Fast Healing 5 as a special quality and then gain Fast Healing 3 from a spell effect (numbers I just made up off the top of my head), I still only have Fast Healing 5 unless the spell says it stacks with existing Fast Healing. Now replace "Fast Healing N" in that sentence with almost anything else in the game, and it will still be true except for a couple of things (like Dodge bonuses) which are stated categorically to always stack.

Scribble
2009-05-24, 03:09 PM
On the Evolved Undead template, from the wizards site

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebee/20060220a

"The Evolved Undead template can be an interesting way to make ancient powers such as Erandis d'Vol and the vampire lords of the Qabalrin even deadlier than expected. After forty thousand years of evolution, a Qabalrin vampire might possess +12 turn resistance, fast healing 18, and a half-dozen spell-like abilities!"

Looks like in the single case of that template, Fast Healing stacks.

In the case of the vampire example there it is overwriting the vamps natural fast healing of 5.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-24, 07:34 PM
As far as I can tell, there's no part of the Evolved Undead template that says the fast healing stacks. It's an explicit exception. From page 99 of Libris Mortis:
Every step of evolution means that the evolved undead template can be applied again to the undead creature (setting this template apart from most other templates, which can be applied only once). It's not that Fast Healing from the Evolved Undead template stacks with any other source of Fast Healing; it's just that all parts of this template stack with itself.