PDA

View Full Version : (PrC) A varient of a PrC varient.

Der_DWSage
2006-08-20, 11:58 PM
So, be kind, I'm new here, and I don't know what goes under 'why are you even bothering to ask?' as opposed to 'Why in the world are you even considering this, you wanker?' I've only recently been led here by ValkyrieShan, who has a fun name to say.

Anyway.

I'm considering creating a character that is a Bearer of an Ancestral Weapon. http://www.giantitp.com/articles/xJ1VzXrzTxbe9Z8rXIV.html

However, my varient-a Bard-would much prefer a harp to an ancestral Rapier or something of that nature. So I ask if the required pre-reqs be changed a bit, and I want to know if this is in the 'acceptable' category.

Craft (weaponsmithing): 8 ranks
Change to Craft (Instrument): 8 ranks

Feats: Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Weapon Focus (selected weapon; see below).
Change Weapon Focus to Skill Focus-Perform or possibly Skill Focus-Craft (Instrument)

Spellcasting: Ability to cast greater magic weapon.
Change to Ability to cast Sonic Weapon.

Proficiency: Proficient in selected weapon.
Change to 8 ranks in Perform

Special: In order to pursue the path of the Ancestral Weapon, you must acquire a masterwork weapon that was used regularly by at least one of your deceased ancestors; all feat prerequisites must match the selected weapon.
Change to instrument, naturally.

While harps aren't the most typical weapons, the first level of the Bearer would be used to enchant it with, well, Sonic Weapon. That would cause 1d6 sonic damage, and while that's far less than most weapons, it's also not blocked easily. Of course, it takes the enchantment just to -give- it a combat use. It's also broken far more easily than other weapons-a successful blow against it from anything at all would render it unusable for the rest of the battle, since strings are easy to break.

So. Comments? Suggestions? And yes, I know that Bards using a Harp has been done since shortly after Final Fantasy came into being, but I still like the idea.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-21, 12:01 AM
Make it a Shocking Thundering Sonic Weapon Harp and call it your Electric Harp of Thrash Metal.

You'd have to name your character Devin Townsend though.

Beyond that, it seems viable to me.