PDA

View Full Version : "Pen & Paper Mario" Mario d6 RPG

PnPMario
2009-04-17, 05:45 AM
Hello everyone,

I posted this game in the Looking For Players part of the forum, because I'm already planning a test adventure but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the people more interested in homebrew design to take a gander at it.

The game is mostly created from the wishes and wild imagination of another tabletop games forum, and simplified to allow non-tabletop-gaming Mario fans to take a shot at it. As it is now, it's far enough for people to create starting characters but I'm still planning to tinker on some things. (A way for people to create their own abilities, for example.)
I'll just go ahead and mention it has no classes. Character creation did not need it, as three test players have proven. Mario fans have shown to me already that even the most obscure enemy from the video games have their fans, and I don't feel like locking out any options.
You want a Lakitu? Take a Koopa, give it a cloud and the Throw ability. (note to self: Fix Cloud item) You want a Clubba instead? Give your Koopa a nice Pow (strength) boost and give it a mace.

The rules pages can be found at My Deviantart page (http://pnpmario.deviantart.com) for now. If it all works out I'm planning to create a small site for it. (Doing a Webdesign study right now, might as well turn homework into a hobby.)

I'm planning to run the game with the Gametable program, which only requires Java to run. If you're interested or have questions, please contact me on my Deviantart page.

Hope to hear a reaction soon!

zagan
2009-04-17, 10:40 AM
I haven't look at evrything yet, but teh rule seem nice and you put a lot of work into it.

Sadly, I can't participate in an online game with gametable because I'm using ubuntu linux and I don't have any idea in how to install it. Anyway good luck to you.

Juhn
2009-04-17, 12:56 PM
The Sniff ability reminded me of something: you can turn a Koopa into a Lakitu, how would you go about turning a Shy Guy into a Snifit?

PnPMario
2009-04-17, 02:13 PM
The Sniff ability of something: you can turn a Koopa into a Lakitu, how would you go about turning a Shy Guy into a Snifit?

One of the reasons I should make a more customizable version of abilities and items. Turning a Shy Guy into a Snifit would basically require equipping a "Snifit Mask" item (Which I haven't written down yet...)

Vorpal word
2009-04-17, 03:11 PM
Dude, I haven't even looked through items and abilities yet, but this is AWESOME!

Question: Where would Bowser and Mario be in this system? Are they simply high-level characters, or are they unique NPCs?

PnPMario
2009-04-17, 03:17 PM
Dude, I haven't even looked through items and abilities yet, but this is AWESOME!

Question: Where would Bowser and Mario be in this system? Are they simply high-level characters, or are they unique NPCs?

VERY unique NPCs, actually. Even the lore in Yoshi's Island DS mentions how Mario, Luigi, Peach, Wario, Donkey Kong, Bowser and one of the Yoshis are 'Star Children' which appearantly is the cause of them being so powerful.

Apotheosis
2009-04-17, 04:06 PM
I haven't looked at everything yet...but it looks very interesting. I have a question though: Does cloud nine raise the user's defense as well?

DarknessLord
2009-04-17, 06:28 PM
This whole things looks wonderful and fun to play, but a few things.
The character creation section lists "Winged" as an example template, but such a template does not exist.
Can you take Giant and Micro at the same time for no change in size but still keep the stat boosts?
There are still a few things that you are working on, but for now what you have still looks good! ^.^

Enlong
2009-04-17, 08:58 PM
One quick question. Why is it that Boos have Invisibility as a free ability, but not Float?

Count Chumleigh
2009-04-17, 10:30 PM
Great product! I've been meaning to come up with a Savage Worlds version of the Mushroom Kingdom for years now. A couple nitpicks, though.
First, although the "Platformer View map" (neat idea, methinks; befitting of Mario) mentions which directions you can move, I don't see anything indicating how fast you can move; I'd assume it's related to your SPEED stat.

Second, character creation is worded awkwardly. For starters, it's unclear whether the 10 points you're allowed to freely spend among your "stats" may be spent on HP & FP as well as POW, DEF, SPEED, and STACHE. I'm inclined to believe the 10 points are for the latter four, but some clarification would be nice. Also, are the starting values of your stats the default, pre-point-expenditure stats, or are you supposed to spend from your 10 starting points to raise them to those levels first? Finally, do the maximum values for stats take into account species modifications?

Cheers,
--Count Chumleigh

PnPMario
2009-04-18, 03:45 AM
I haven't looked at everything yet...but it looks very interesting. I have a question though: Does cloud nine raise the user's defense as well?
Yes, I'll fix the wording on it in the next revamp. (In fact, I might just scrap the abilities and go with a point-buy custom ability creation system.)

This whole things looks wonderful and fun to play, but a few things.
The character creation section lists "Winged" as an example template, but such a template does not exist.
Can you take Giant and Micro at the same time for no change in size but still keep the stat boosts?
There are still a few things that you are working on, but for now what you have still looks good! ^.^
Okay, see this is why it's smart to get feedback. I forgot about the 'Winged' template (turning it into an item instead). I should really just redo the ability/item/template system. I also made the mistake of not seperating equipment and consumables, which could cause someone to spend their starting ability on an item they could easily buy/find.
And the Giant/Micro templates either get the same sidenote as the undead templates or they're 'disappearing' in the next version. (Instead becoming custom purchases with ability points.)
Thanks for the notifications.

One quick question. Why is it that Boos have Invisibility as a free ability, but not Float?
I should've given them that ability too, forgot all about it. Be prepared to see it in the revamp.

Great product! I've been meaning to come up with a Savage Worlds version of the Mushroom Kingdom for years now. A couple nitpicks, though.
First, although the "Platformer View map" (neat idea, methinks; befitting of Mario) mentions which directions you can move, I don't see anything indicating how fast you can move; I'd assume it's related to your SPEED stat.

Second, character creation is worded awkwardly. For starters, it's unclear whether the 10 points you're allowed to freely spend among your "stats" may be spent on HP & FP as well as POW, DEF, SPEED, and STACHE. I'm inclined to believe the 10 points are for the latter four, but some clarification would be nice. Also, are the starting values of your stats the default, pre-point-expenditure stats, or are you supposed to spend from your 10 starting points to raise them to those levels first? Finally, do the maximum values for stats take into account species modifications?

Cheers,
--Count Chumleigh
During creation and the test game I actually ignored how fast characters could move, considering that out of combat all characters sticked together and in combat it wasn't needed. (The Mario RPG videogames were turn-based and did not involve walking in combat. Well, minus Super Paper Mario.) I could decide a walking speed for out of combat based on Speed, but I'm still not sure wether I should let it be involved in combat. (Also note how I didn't include anything about range in combat, just a difference between physical and special attacks.)
And if the character creation is worded awkwardly, I need to fix it. HP and FP should be seperated from the other four, considering they're determined by combining two other stats.
As with the 10 points and starting stats, I really should've worded that one better. As it is now, the stats start at the minimum number without having to put points in it and the species bonuses are supposed to be added after the 10 points and can exceed the maximum values. (So a Shaman could get 11 Stache at creation, for example.) I should probably also mention that even with penalties the stats can't go below their minimum creation value.

So yes, I still need to take a blowtorch and a wrench to the ruleset. Thanks for helping me out!

DarknessLord
2009-04-18, 12:58 PM
one more thing that I forgot last time, make the whole "Bob-ombs get KOed" when they explode more explicit as it's only marginally implied in their race profile, because in the Paper Mario games, your Bob-omb partners get don't get KOed so it would be easy to assume the characters do not.
I would also add in an ability/template/whatever for Bob-ombs that allows them to blow up without getting KOed, as it would separate the Bob-omb elite who can do that from the bob-omb mooks who you fight who can't.

But that's just me, sorry I didn't bring this up sooner I just made the connection there... ^.^;

Kuma Da
2009-04-20, 10:31 PM
OK. I just read through everything you posted on the deviant art page and I think this could potentially be very fun system to play with. However, there are few problems that to jump right out at me from the get go.

1) speed, defense, and stache. I understand why you set the defense threshold low at character creation. It makes it harder to create unhittable characters. However, if physical attacks are hitting on speed, defense breaking the system is still entirely possible. I would suggest leaving speed as an initiative category and making power that to hit modifier. Otherwise, power runs the risk of becoming a dead stat. Stache is fine, but is a little too good with power unmodified. It hits and deals damage and presumably is a factor in FP.

2) races. They're a little unbalanced. On one end you've got the goomba, which has nothing to its name. On the other is the almighty thwomp. Three power, three defense, and abilities?! The three defense is broken already. To have even odds of hitting that with a physical attack if the thwomp bothers to sink points into defense, you basically have to play another thwomp. Yes, there are ways around it, but the fact that people have to search for these ways to effectively take a thwomp on is what unbalances it. Consider giving it penalties. Likewise, throw the goomba a bone. Make it worth playing.

erikun
2009-04-20, 10:37 PM
I didn't comment on this yet? This is too cool not to comment on.

I haven't looked through it all, although I did download all the pages off dA. I agree that there seems some pretty odd imbalances; a number of races have +1 or +2 to a stat, while others are basically left out in the cold. Perhaps require spending "build points" to play one of the "better" classes? Then again, I'm not sure if all the races listed are intended to be played - I can't really see someone "adventuring" as a Thomp, for example. :smalltongue:

Other than that, where is the playtesting happening?

PnPMario
2009-04-21, 01:08 AM
OK. I just read through everything you posted on the deviant art page and I think this could potentially be very fun system to play with. However, there are few problems that to jump right out at me from the get go.

1) speed, defense, and stache. I understand why you set the defense threshold low at character creation. It makes it harder to create unhittable characters. However, if physical attacks are hitting on speed, defense breaking the system is still entirely possible. I would suggest leaving speed as an initiative category and making power that to hit modifier. Otherwise, power runs the risk of becoming a dead stat. Stache is fine, but is a little too good with power unmodified. It hits and deals damage and presumably is a factor in FP.

2) races. They're a little unbalanced. On one end you've got the goomba, which has nothing to its name. On the other is the almighty thwomp. Three power, three defense, and abilities?! The three defense is broken already. To have even odds of hitting that with a physical attack if the thwomp bothers to sink points into defense, you basically have to play another thwomp. Yes, there are ways around it, but the fact that people have to search for these ways to effectively take a thwomp on is what unbalances it. Consider giving it penalties. Likewise, throw the goomba a bone. Make it worth playing.

I didn't comment on this yet? This is too cool not to comment on.

I haven't looked through it all, although I did download all the pages off dA. I agree that there seems some pretty odd imbalances; a number of races have +1 or +2 to a stat, while others are basically left out in the cold. Perhaps require spending "build points" to play one of the "better" classes? Then again, I'm not sure if all the races listed are intended to be played - I can't really see someone "adventuring" as a Thomp, for example. :smalltongue:

Other than that, where is the playtesting happening?

Oh, I'm glad to still get replies because I'm currently working on v.0.2 . Let's start with Kuma Da's notifications...

1) I'm still tinkering on it, but let me just mention what I got so far.

Damage will now be calculated in d6s instead of using a static number. I'd go on about the abilities, but that's for another moment (and I'm not quite finished with that one yet).
Each stat now has three main uses in combat:
POW: HP, FP and bonus to physical damage
STACHE: FP, special hit rating and bonus to special damage.
SPEED: Initiative, physical hit rating and defense rating.
DEF: HP, defense rating and damage reduction.

(HP = Pow + Def)
(FP = Pow + Stache)

So you see, someone who'd want to focus on getting the good stuff in Stache will have to balance it with their HP and defense. (Creating the common Tissue Spellcaster.) Sure, you have a lot of FP, hit often and for a lot...But if you're not careful one hit too strong could knock you off your feet.
I hope this will work out to make it a bit more balanced. If not, well...I'll probably hear it fast enough.

2) Yes. Races were indeed unbalanced. The first version was a pain too, because I still didn't get all the races I wanted on there. I'm considering of making races (and templates!) a flavor choice, with the only limit being "Character race has to be medium or small". Ofcourse, after picking a race one could increase or decrease their size later (using the point buy system, it would probably be 1 point for each size category bigger or smaller, with each bigger category giving +2 Pow and each smaller category giving +2 Speed). This way people can actually decide themselves what kind of creature they want.

Ofcourse, this would bring up the point of bonus items/clothing/abilities. For species-related abilities, I say "Pick them yourself. Use some logic, and decide wether or not your Boo wants to float." Most of those abilities will probably only cost 1 point either way.
As for items, I'm introducing the coins-at-creation thing. At creation, a character gets 15 points (which is usually 10 points for stats, 5 for abilities and bonuses) and 10 coins. Items like koopa shells start out for free but without a bonus to Def (or damage). +2 bonuses on items can be bought for about...I was thinking 5 coins per +2. Same thing with ability-granting items. Starter clothing at creation is free, but also without a bonus and can be picked by any race. (So even the Goomba can pick up some nice slacks). Also, abilities granted by items count as a 1-point ability (Which is usually a 1d6 roll on something).

This should also answer Erikun's question about races. They all become bonusless flavor choices, because I now know I can't put down a finite number of them. There's always that one specific obscure creature someone wants.
Same for templates (This might hurt some people). I leave templates up to the players as flavor with a limit to one or two per character. Size isn't a template anymore either, but things like color and being undead or not is. You want to be a Dry Bones? Alright, but you won't get the ressurrect ability until you buy it. Want to be a Lakitu? Buy a Cloud item (bonusless: 0 coins. With the Fly ability: 5 coins. Fly and +2 bonus to Speed: 10 coins).
Same for Shy Guys. Want to be a Snifit? Buy a (bonusless) Snifit mask. Give it an ability to shoot (1d6) for 5 coins (or more, each 1d6 costing the same as a +2 bonus).
Some people might think "But now templates aren't special anymore". Well, they shouldn't be. People should make a character based on what they want, not on what gives the best bonuses. You get 5 points extra you can spend on abilities and bonuses (and 10 coins for items), and the races/templates are now a free flavor choice.

That's it for so far. Feel free to criticize.

Edit: Playtest is happening when I have the new ruleset written down, and I'm hoping for about 2-4 players to test it with.

Apotheosis
2009-04-21, 07:17 PM
So cloud nine does raise the user's defense? Hm...perhaps I'm just paranoid but that seems immediately to me like it could be broken beyond repair.

Let's say that a thwomp somehow gets his hands on a cloud. He starts out putting 3 points in DEF, 5 in POW, and 2 in STACHE. With racial mods, that gives him 7 DEF and 13 FP. He can use cloud nine three times.

First use: Allies and own DEF rise by 7. DEF is 14.
Second use: Allies and own DEF rise by 14. DEF is 28.
Third use: Allies and own DEF rise by 28. DEF is 56.

If, as the wording suggests, cloud nine's duration is the entire battle...this could be very strong.

ninja_penguin
2009-04-21, 08:57 PM
I'm a little confused, what are timed hits? (in this game; I know I'm setting myself up for the Mario RPG joke)

Zovc
2009-04-21, 11:15 PM
I think you should be able to throw items, enemies, and allies. Koopas (or similarly-built races) should be able to protect themselves while being thrown as a weapon. This would allow Koopas to be thrown into the fray (provided location and movement became relevant to combat), and then begin fighting in melee. (Hopefully the thrown koopa wanted to be in melee. XD)

I don't think you have to homogenize races to balance them, just don't give obnoxious bonuses to certain races without still giving reason to play as other races.

For example, give Goomba (players? perhaps NPCs don't need this balancing factor?) extra stat points, or a free ability or something, and have them get bonuses to certain things.

A more easy to balance race would be koopa, allow them to "hide" in their shell, this sets their speed to 0, but increases their defense by 2(?). Then, allow Koopas to gain the "Shellshock-trooper" ability (with points, or whatever) which allows them to enter (and exit) their shell instantaneously, when performing a body slam attack, they can add the +2 defense bonus of hiding in their shell to the attack (since they are not in their shell when they start the attack, however, they don't have to factor their speed of 0 into their chance to hit). A koopa without Shellshock-trooper can only enter or exit his or her shell on his or her turn. This was inspired vaguely by Dungeons and Dragons 3/.5 and its quick drawing.

Of course, I'd like to play a koopa.

Zovc
2009-04-21, 11:42 PM
I just glanced at special abilities, but I think a tier system could make things work better.

For example, you have a lot of "Firey" moves. Perhaps fire abilites could require you have the "Firey" ability? Here's what I'm suggesting:

Firey (Elemental Template, X character points)
You are able to utilize the power of fire! By spending 2FP, you are able to infuse any basic attack you perform with fire, add half your STACHE (rounded down, minimum 1) worth of fire damage to the result of your basic attack.
(You could add clauses about weaknesses, etc. here if you wanted to.)

Firey (or presumably any other Elemental Template) suits a "melee" character well, as such, I made the bonus dependent on STACHE, something a melee character would rather not have to invest in.

Then you have two options for a breath attack:

Fire Breath (Ability: STACHE, X character points)
Prerequisite: Firey
Cost: 3FP
You gain a firey breath attack, you can deal 1d6+STACHE fire damage to any one target.
Special: If you used this attack last round, you may re-use it again this round for 1FP (instead of 3FP), you may only use Fire Breath a number of consecutive times equal to your DEF.

or

Breath Attack (Ability: STACHE, X character points)
Prerequisite: Elemental Template
Cost: 3FP
You gain a breath attack, you can deal 1d6+STACHE elemental damage to any one target. This ability may only do one type of elemental damage, and you may only have it deal damage of an elemental template you possess.
Special: If you used this attack last round, you may re-use it again this round for 1FP (instead of 3FP), you may only use Fire Breath a number of consecutive times equal to your DEF. You cannot change elements when performing a consecutive breath attack.

Bowser and Charizard both eventually run out of steam when you use their Breath attack in Smash Bros Brawl, I tried to reflect this. I wanted the consecutive breath attack thing to resemble holding your breath, you don't have a "constitution score" so I used DEF. You mention tissue casters in one of your posts here, breath attacks might be better suited to someone in the fray, anyways (See Charizad and Bowser. XD).

More responses as I look through the rest of your stuff, hopefully I won't be tripple-posting. :P (Yes, I know there's an edit function, but I don't feel like cramming all this stuff into one post.)

DarknessLord
2009-04-22, 01:37 AM
I don't think you have to homogenize races to balance them, just don't give obnoxious bonuses to certain races without still giving reason to play as other races.

For example, give Goomba (players? perhaps NPCs don't need this balancing factor?) extra stat points, or a free ability or something, and have them get bonuses to certain things.

This, perhaps PC goombas can't start as Paragoombas, spiked goombas, or headbonking goombas right off the bat even, the generic race is pathetic PC
allow the PCs to start off (if they choose) as advanced members of that race.

I might just be me, but I think it's a very different feel to be "generic small sized creature" and buy your way to becoming a bob-omb, then to start out as a bob-omb and use that as your base.

A good compromise might be to get race packs, like for like a certain amount of points you get all the bonuses a certain race gets, perhaps for slightly cheaper then buying them individually, but keep it to main races (Koopa, Bob-omb, Yoshi, Boo, Human/Toad*, Goomba**), and naturally limit it to 1 per character.
This gives the feeling of actually BEING the race cause you picked it as a single thing not bought the bonuses one by one, allows for balance as more powerful races would cost more, and can adjust for weird races as if it's not existing you can still just pick the traits on their own or convince the GM to make you a race pack for that race. (alright so you wanna be a fuzzie, really? Okay take a +2 speed bonus, jump, and HP Drain, and cause it's your race take off 2 points from the total cost)
*Humans and Toads might just get arms (and legs if you have to buy those) maybe Jump and/or a variable stat boost (plus the mushroom hat for Toads)
**Goombas might not get any bonuses, meaning they'd be a free race, but they should at least be mentioned just because of how iconic they are.

Zovc
2009-04-22, 02:22 AM
I think you might be onto something with starting off as advanced goombas.

Even if starting with nothing but feet is all that a goomba is, I don't think you should advance from one race to another (if that's what you're talking about, DL). If you're talking about looking at things like that from a balance standpoint, I suppose that's logical enough, on the other hand.

Still, I think giving races special abilities, like I presented with the koopas, is the best starting place, from there, you can see how powerful they are with respect to one another. For example, boos might not be able to fly, but even if they can only hover so far above the ground, they are still 'immune' to spikes.

Goombas, I love them, but I'm not sure what you can do for them other than, like DarknessLord suggested, have players start off as advanced versions, or give them some sort of "transparent" bonus that has them still be goombas and behave like goombas, but has them perform on the same level as other characters. (This could be enough stat points to counterbalance their lack of abilities, or perhaps automatically being able to start off with an ability, or--if you wanted to incorporate badges--you could allow Goombas to start off with a badge, or be able to wear more badges. Or perhaps Goombas deserve a STACHE bonus? I know we all love the guys.)

Oh, and back to being able to throw allies, why should I not be able to throw my bomb-omb teammate? :P

Enlong
2009-04-22, 09:51 AM
one more thing that I forgot last time, make the whole "Bob-ombs get KOed" when they explode more explicit as it's only marginally implied in their race profile, because in the Paper Mario games, your Bob-omb partners get don't get KOed so it would be easy to assume the characters do not.
I would also add in an ability/template/whatever for Bob-ombs that allows them to blow up without getting KOed, as it would separate the Bob-omb elite who can do that from the bob-omb mooks who you fight who can't.

But that's just me, sorry I didn't bring this up sooner I just made the connection there... ^.^;

Wait, if it's not mentioned anywhere, then what makes you say that Bob-Ombs get KOd when they Explode?

Also: You get 2 abilities to start with; does that include both Basic and Special? How many Templates can you start with? How do you choose how many Items you get?
And is there a mechanic for levelling up?

AgentPaper
2009-04-22, 11:32 AM
For balancing races, I think you should look at using something like the level adjustment system used in 3.5. It doesn't work well in that system, perhaps, but as long as you gain power linearly instead of exponentially when leveling, balance shouldn't be as much of an issue. That way, you could have goombas be just plain weaker than any other race, and yet maintain balance by giving him "free levels" to work with while a koopa player for example would have only a couple levels, or none. It would also give the opportunity to make a goomba-only party, starting out with literally nothing but a pair of legs and eventually becoming gods among goombas. Which would be pretty cool, I have to say.

DarknessLord
2009-04-22, 11:53 AM
@Zovc, No, I wasn't suggesting advancing from one race to another with my race pack suggestion, I was mearly suggesting a way to hybridize a point buy with the actual feel of picking your race, my race pack suggestion it says to limit 1 per character, and I figure I should add that if there is a way to "sell off" traits later in the game, you couldn't do it with your race (another reason why the total would be cheaper).

Granted, I'm for just picking your race in general for a Mario RPG rather then buying it, as point buy always feels like a generic system to me, but I can understand why it would seem like a good idea. *shrug*

@Enlong

...Bob-ombs are capable of making themselves explode at will. This commonly means a game over for both its target and itself...
Emphasis mine.
However this is the only place it's mentioned, and there is no explicit rule about it one way or another, my main point was to make it explicit either way, by editing out that line, or by making it an explicit rule and making it so only elite Bob-ombs can explode without penalty (IE Bombette as opposed to the generic Bob-ombs you fight in the koopa bros fortress).

@AgentPaper
That's not a bad idea, I'm also up for that all Goomba game once this system is finished! XD

AgentPaper
2009-04-22, 10:30 PM
I would say, for bomb-ombs, make it so that when they start out blowing up knocks them to unconscious, with 0 or 1 HP and such. Then, as they level, either automatically or by spending points they can take less and less penalties, and eventually blowing up with no penalty whatsoever. They should never die from it, though, or they're basically a walking heroic sacrifice, which would get old real fast.

For the races, I'm glad you like it. On another note, while progressing through races themselves would likely be a bad idea, (goomba->toad->human? :smallyuk:) I would support making generalized groups of monsters. For example, all the various odd koopas, from lakitus to hammer bros, start out as normal koopas, and then just get different equipment to use. If you pick up a pair of wings, now you're a paratroopa. Instead go for cloud+spike balls? Lakitu. The names are nothing other than descriptions for a setup that's used fairly often.

Shy guys, for example, might be the only creatures that can use their masks, being given one at birth and earning others to give themselves new abilities, as well as other items like coptor-packs. (You may want to standardize this into "items that let you fly", which could include coptor-packs, wings, clouds, jetpacks, magical talent, sheer 'stache, etc.) So no goomba is born a paragoomba or a spike hat goomba, they just put on that hat or a pair of wings, and go nuts. You may also need to have a limit on the number of these items that a character can use, or you could get a rather acute case of "money is power (literally)".

Though, I think this may be how your system already works, in which case I apologize for time-wastyness. In my defense, though, I didn't want to read everything you've written only to have to read it again after you've finished blow-torching it. :smalltongue:

Zovc
2009-04-23, 02:35 AM
I would say, for bomb-ombs, make it so that when they start out blowing up knocks them to unconscious, with 0 or 1 HP and such. Then, as they level, either automatically or by spending points they can take less and less penalties, and eventually blowing up with no penalty whatsoever. They should never die from it, though, or they're basically a walking heroic sacrifice, which would get old real fast.

Well, a bomb-omb's sacrifice can (and should, in my opinion) JUST "knock the character out" from what I understand, it's not a game over unless the entire party is knocked out. Forcing the bomb-omb player to know when to call it quits is actually a strategic layer of playing that race. For example, it's wasteful for me to sacrifice myself at full health to do 2d6 damage, when I could just attack for 1d6 damage this turn, and be alive to re-evaluate the situation. Exploding at "the right moment" is (/should be) a part of being a bomb-omb. If anything, there should NEVER, EVER be no penalty for exploding.

I'm not sure how a bomb-omb's exploding should affect a combat resurrection? Perhaps this is where you can allow a character to invest in their racial ability?
"Bomb-omb-ardment" (Racial, Bomb-omb; X character points)
It is possible for you to be resurrected in combat after you use your explode racial ability.

Improved "Bomb-omb-ardment" (Racial, Bomb-omb; X character points)
Requires: "Bomb-omb-ardment"
After using your explode racial ability, roll 2d6-Speed, you automatically resurrect at 1/4 your total life in that many turns.
(It should take a while for this ability to trigger, so that there is a good window of time that the party has to survive before you can jump back in and serve as a crutch for the party.)

OR

Second Wind (X character points)
When you are knocked out, roll "(2d6+STACHE)-DEF", you automatically resurrect at 1/4 your total life in that many turns.
(The more 'dramatic' you are about going down, the longer it takes you to get back up, the tougher you are, the easier it is.)

->"On my own terms!" (X character points)
Requires: Second Wind
When one of your own abilities knocks you out, you may roll 2d6-DEF instead of (2d6+STACHE)-DEF.

(Of course, the values for checks have been pulled out of my bottom, but they help me get the point across, I think. It should take a long time for Second Wind to charge, so that a character with the ability can't constantly serve as a crutch for the party. If the encounter is that dangerous, the party should have to struggle to hold out while you are "coming back.")

DarknessLord
2009-04-23, 12:44 PM
Hmmm, I'd be inclined to agree if it wasn't for the Bob-omb partners in the Paper Mario video games who do get to explode without any apparent penalty...
Hmm, Okay, what about this idea, Bob-ombs start out getting to explode for 0 FP but get knocked out when they do, as they level and invest points in it, they can slowly acquire the ability to spend FP to mitigate the HP cost something like:
Rank: 1: X FP, 75% HP damage; 2: 2X FP, 50% HP damage; 2: 3X FP, 25% HP Damage; and finally 4: 4X FP, No HP damage, round up for damage on all of these.
Really high-level Bomb-ombs will be able to explode a lot, but it really will Drain their FP, and that cost would be on top of of other costs they might have to add to their explosion, I honestly think something as low as 2 or 3 might be a solid value for X, depending on how many stat points you get at level up, the no HP damage cost should be expensive, but not quite so much that it requires you to ignore the stats that don't feed into FP (although I'm sure some people would anyways).
While this game doesn't and shouldn't try to emulate the video games in their entirety, there are some things that people who played the video games will want to be able to do, and exploding without completely taking yourself out of the battle, even for just a bunch of turns, seems like one that is reasonable to put in. :smallwink:

erikun
2009-04-23, 09:53 PM
As a fan of Bob-ombs and explosions, I have to agree with DarknessLord. :smallwink: I think they should be able to achieve a "free" explosion, but it would still cost a chunk of HP and a number of skill points/build points to achieve. Heck, if you can increase the damage/area of the explosion, then a "free" explosion for 2d6 damage should cost more than other classes dealing 2d6 damage... simply becuase the Bob-omb can twink out their explosion so much more.

Also, I'd probably include a "1/2 defense for a turn" on at least the lower ranks - exploding not only hurts, it leaves you vulnerable.