Large Magical Beast (Fire, Extraplanar)
HD 6d10+27 (60)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); climb 30 ft.
Init: +3
AC 20; touch 12; flat-footed 17
(-1 size, +3 Dex, +8 natural)
BAB +6; Grp +16
Attack Greatclub +9 (1d10+13)
Full-Attack Greatclub +9/+4 (1d10+13) or 2 Claws +11 melee (1d8+6) and bite +6 melee (1d8+3)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, Scent
Saves Fort +9 Ref +8 Will +0
Abilities Str 22, Dex 16, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 7, Cha 5
Skills Climb +23
Feats Toughness, Power Attack, Improved Natural Armor
Environment Obsidian Spires on the Elemental Plane of Fire
Organization Solitary, pair, obsidian company (3-6)
Challenge Rating 4
Treasure Normal
Alignment Usually Neutral
Advancement 7-10 HD (Large)

(Power Attack at -2 already taken into account on greatclub attacks)

The hulking creature looks almost like a very badly carved statue. It's the shape of a monkey, closest to a large ape, but seems to be matted with obsidian, clumsily dragging a giant club fashioned from an obsidian branch.

Obsidian Bulks are the undisputed rulers of obsidian spires on the Elemental Plane of Fire. These giant gorilla-esque monsters climb swiftly up and down the spikes of stone despite their massive weight and seemingly clumsy bodies. They'll club and eat whatever they might run into, often traveling in small packs with one lavaback leader of the company.

Obsidian Bulks have been observed to use simple tools, primarily the use of massive obsidian branches broken from the spires as greatclubs.

Skills:
Obsidian Bulks have a racial +8 bonus to Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Lappy9000
2009-04-17, 11:41 AM
These things are all great, but where you really excel is the polish and detail you put into the mechanics and description. I can totally picture a family of obsidian bulks lounging on the great spires of the Elemantal Plane of Fire, overlooked by a lavaback alpha male.

Fredthefighter
2009-04-17, 11:43 AM
Three things I'd like to just take a look at.
1) Since it has a BAB of +6, wouldn't that mean that if it made a full attack with it's club, it would get a second attack at a -5 penalty?
2) It's attack with it's greatclub should be +10 (Base 6, Strength 6, Power Attack -2) shouldn't it?
3) If the monster has 6 HD, doesn't that mean it gets three feats instead of two? One for 1st HD, one for 3rd HD and one for 6th HD.

Other than those three points I like it quite a bit.
(I like monkeys and apes and primates of all types)
Your attention to detail is definitely very good though. To the point of excellent I would say. :smallsmile:

sigurd
2009-04-17, 11:56 AM
The hulking creature looks almost like a very badly carved statue.

So what does it actually look like? :)

Icewalker
2009-04-17, 01:04 PM
Fred, thank you very much, I missed both the feat and the second attack when I put it together. As to the plus to hit, it has -1 from size.

It looks like a badly carved statue of a monkey, of course :smallwink: An ape, specifically.

Debihuman
2009-04-18, 01:11 PM
These are excellent. I'm a big fan of the Elemental plane of fire and the City of Brass in particular. These would fit perfectly there.

These are often given as gifts to those who displease the ruling class for the recipient forced to care for it. Much like the white elephants of India....

Debby