PDA

View Full Version : Magmar (creature) [EE]6

Icewalker
2009-04-17, 12:54 PM
This is my first creature for this project that is not a mirror of a creature which already exists in the Monster Manual. Anyone care to guess what animal it is based on?

[hr]
Magmar
Medium Magical Beast (Fire, Extraplanar)
HD 1d10+4 (9)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Init: +2
AC 13; touch 12; flat-footed 11
(+2 Dex, +1 natural)
BAB/Grp +1/+2
Attack Freezing touch +2 (1d4 cold)
Full-Attack Freezing touch +2 (1d4 cold)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Freezing Touch
Special Qualities Cold tolerance, tremorsense (lava), Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
Saves Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +0
Abilities Str 12, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills Spot +4
Feats Iron Will
Environment Lava Seas on the Elemental Plane of Fire
Organization Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating 1/2
Alignment Neutral
Advancement -

The long thin body tapers to the longest snout on a creature you've ever seen. While its fur is a brownish with extremely pale blue streaks over its torso and legs, the feet and snout seem be a strange hairless blue-black color. It pads slowly over the surface of magma, seemingly balancing on the surface somehow without sinking. After a moments observation you see it stands on minuscule spots of stone fitting its paws perfectly, forming where it steps.

This strange creature is the only animal you'll see looking over the surface of the lava seas. While there are numerous beings that live underneath the surface of molten stone, the Magmar are the only creatures that walk the surface. They are a strange exception to the elemental plane of fire, holding their bodies at an extremely low temperature instead of matching the world around them, as most other creatures do. Magmar eat the fish that swim beneath the surface of the lava seas, sticking their several foot long snouts beneath the surface of the lava and catching small creatures with their long barbed tongue. Thanks to their inner cold, they can channel a freezing temperature to their paws, freezing the magma beneath them into stone such that they can walk across the surface of the lava.

Freezing Touch (Su): The cold which allows the magmar to walk the surface of the lava seas is also their only weapon against possible predators, although there are few. As a touch attack, magmar can deal 1d4 cold damage through their paws.

Cold Tolerance (Ex): Despite being a creature of the Elemental Plane of Fire, magmar do not have the weakness to cold associated with the fire subtype that other residents of their plane suffer from.

Lava Tremorsense (Ex): Magmar can sense the location of any creature within 60 ft. who are swimming within the magma they are standing on.

DracoDei
2009-04-17, 05:02 PM
Mole? Ant Eater? Otter? Jesus Lizard?

Icewalker
2009-04-17, 05:07 PM
Anteater's the one. I've already put up my second, a worm. No stats on it individually...it's just a worm. There is a stat block for a swarm though.

DracoDei
2009-04-18, 12:55 PM
Link please?

Icewalker
2009-04-18, 01:33 PM
Coalitts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109551)! The basic food source and lowest recycling level of the sootfields ecosystem (not much one can do for plants on the elemental plane of fire). Similar to how the wavers will be for parts of the Elemental Plane of Air, although they'll probably share the job with something else.

TSED
2009-04-18, 08:43 PM
Coalitts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109551)! The basic food source and lowest recycling level of the sootfields ecosystem (not much one can do for plants on the elemental plane of fire). Similar to how the wavers will be for parts of the Elemental Plane of Air, although they'll probably share the job with something else.

Why not plants that thrive off of a certain chemical reaction instead of sunlight?

You know... a huge forest of mitigated fire. It could be a nice entry point instead of the whole "teleport into giant raging inferno" and instead "teleport into forest with bubbling heat oozing around you as the trees suck it up."

Soup of Kings
2009-04-18, 08:55 PM
Grah...disappointment sets in as I realize you haven't statted a pokemon...

Shadow_Elf
2009-04-18, 09:02 PM
Grah...disappointment sets in as I realize you haven't statted a pokemon...

I felt the same way...

What a pity.