PDA

View Full Version : Wind-up toys of DOOM! [request]

CockroachTeaParty
2006-08-20, 12:28 AM
I was wondering if any monster-makers out there could whip up something small, metallic, and ruthless.

I've always been a fan of the Clockwork Horrors from MM2. However, the lowest of the horrors, the electrum horror, is a relativley strong creature. I'd like to introduce the menace of the clockwork horrors earlier in a campaign I'm running, and I want to have lesser horrors for the PCs to fight.

I was thinking something like 'iron horrors' or 'aluminum horrors,' the lesser minions that collect metal for the production of the greater horrors. Maybe they could have a swarming ability like Formian workers, where enough of them working together can repair the bigger ones?

If a similar creature has already been created, just throw a brick at my head. Otherwise, I'd greatly appreciate any advice and/or example nasties. Thanks in advance!

Fizban
2006-08-20, 01:45 AM
Alumminum horror, sounds awesome.
Anyway, try the MMIV, it has two creatures you might like:
Clockroach, a CR 1 construct. Has an acidic breath weaon and is often used to destroy trash, cleaning up battlefields and chasing down troublesome garbage.
Clockwork Mender: an extraplanar construct that can repair 1d8 points/day to objects/constructs.
Clockwork Mender Swarm: a swarm of clockwork menders, can repair 1hp/round and sacrifice it's hp to repair faster.

10 seconds later, an Edit:
You could try applying the effigy creature template to giant ants, and give them a hivemind for the swarm feel.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-20, 01:47 AM
Run a search on the Homebrew board for the past thirty days of all instances of "steam-powered". You'll come up with some interesting results.

CockroachTeaParty
2006-08-20, 05:17 PM
Sweet, thanks! I haven't picked up the MMIV yet, but those things sound interesting indeed.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-20, 05:47 PM
fax, you sly dog! fax made a steam powered template a little while ago, check it out. It is pretty good.