Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Blazing Charge
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
Saves Fort +2 Ref +7 Will +2
Abilities Str 5, Dex 21, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 15
Skills Climb +9,
Feats Weapon Finesse
Environment Sootfields on the Elemental Plane of Fire
Organization Solitary, pair, Firestorm (4-16)
Challenge Rating 1/4
Alignment Neutral
Advancement -

The yellow line cuts across the black and gray field of ash. The small furred creature looks almost to be leaving a trail of fire as it runs, its bright streamlined form weaving through the soot.

Sparkstreakers are the small ground mammals of the sootfields. Closest to terrestrial ferrets, these lithe yellow-orange hunters are the fastest creatures in the whole field when they want to be, bursting forwards with unbelievable speed and agility.

Blazing Charge (Ex): When Sparkstreakers charge or run, they move as if their base movement speed was 50 ft. instead of 30 ft., and deal an additional 2 points of damage on any attack made at the end of such a charge.

Lappy9000
2009-04-17, 09:40 PM
You should space these out a bit more as updates are concerned. If you are really making a project out of this, I'd suggest keeping a few in reserves for when (when, not if) you hit Writer's Block.

Monster looks fine. I know there's not much you have to work with at this CR, but it looks a tad vanilla. I'll let you know if I think of anything nice.

Icewalker
2009-04-18, 07:48 AM
Yeah, the thing about writers block is that each of the four planes has all kinds of subsection ecologies I'm creating. I've decided to focus for now on the Sootfields first, and once I've fleshed them out, probably move on to Obsidian Spires, the Elemental Plane of Fire equivalent of forests.

As to spacing, my real preference there is because I really need to get work done on OTHER dnd projects I'm working on. I started, almost finished, and haven't looked at for far too long, a project on rune-based casting.

Also my campaign...which I'm only about 1/3rd done fully detailing, should be my prime concern.

Plus I don't want to flood the homebrew section with background creatures. I should probably start doing mass posts.

DracoDei
2009-04-18, 11:49 AM
To make them technically qualify as "the fastest", you should probably have the speed boost kick in when they use the Run action as well.

Icewalker
2009-04-18, 12:04 PM
Ah, good point, fixed.

I'm still trying to decide whether these things hunt Ashravens, are hunted by Ashravens, or neither. I'm leaning towards neither, they're too fast to be caught but too small to be predators. Question then is what eats these, and what do they eat other than Coalitt?

sigurd
2009-04-18, 01:00 PM
Perhaps you need something that doesn't hunt by speed. The elemental equivalent of the angler fish.

A creature that silently gathers elemental energy and or food from the atmosphere. When its eaten it explodes or generally taints its predators. Then it grows on or inside of them giving its children a jump with their life force.

sigurd

Icewalker
2009-04-18, 01:30 PM
I've considered self-defense methods a few times, the problem being that the first thing that comes to mind is bursting into flames, and that'd be quite useless considering.

Your reference back to the ambush predator did give me quite a good idea for one though. Something that lies beneath the layer of ash on the ground for something to pass overhead and clamps on.

Also, I should put together some parasite esque creatures that mess around with other animals, they're always fun. Thanks!

Debihuman
2009-04-18, 01:31 PM
It's missing darkvision 60 ft. and low-light vision. See magical beast type.

Debby

Icewalker
2009-04-18, 01:37 PM
Ah, left it off. Fixed, thanks.

sigurd
2009-04-18, 02:31 PM
Can I make an appeal to stop combining words together.

There is nothing wrong with Lava Seas rather than Lavaseas. I know the game saddles us with stupidity like Greatclub, greataxe and waraxe but there really is no good reason except perhaps legal originality stuff. Compound words should have a hyphen the rest is just bad language.

I don't want to go to a talltower with my prettyflower and bestfriend.

sigurd

Icewalker
2009-04-18, 02:35 PM
You know, that's really quite true. Most certainly. I'll stick with Sootfields, but Lava Seas actually would be a lot better separate. I ran through a couple names for this guy, namely Yellow Streaker, but just preferred this one. That's definitely valid...

I'm working on making the creature names not simple combinations like my first few (Embercat, Ashraven) and more original names, like Magmar and Coalitt. More interesting, more original, more realistic that way.