PDA

View Full Version : I know what my next character is going to be

Berserk Monk
2009-04-17, 07:14 PM
A changling bard. Why? Insane bluff modifier:

+4 (ranks)
+4 (18 cha (even if I have to cheat to get it))
+3 (skill focus)
+2 (Persuasive feat (I take a weakness giving me an extra feat))
+2 (racial bonus)
+1 (dishonest trait)
+1 (illiterate trait (spend 2 skill points to become literate))

official modifier: +17

yeah, I could bluff my way out of anything

JackMage666
2009-04-17, 07:32 PM
You forgot circumstance bonuses for using your disguising abilities (which you should get, if your DM likes roleplaying.)

Honestly, though, it's not that hard to get similar if you're going with a different race. I'm pretty sure you could get the same with a human, if you tried hard enough.

Flickerdart
2009-04-17, 07:35 PM
You could do exactly the same thing with a Half-Elf Bard for Diplomacy, and diplo-cheese is better than Bluff.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-17, 08:25 PM
Or cast Glibness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glibness.htm).

Calinero
2009-04-17, 08:34 PM
Dang. That's quite a bluff modifier...you shall be able to sell ice cubes to eskimos.

Cheesegear
2009-04-17, 08:43 PM
You could do exactly the same thing with a Half-Elf Bard for Diplomacy, and diplo-cheese is better than Bluff.

Seconded. Although a Half-Elf Marshal gets Skill Focus (Dip) for free.

Thurbane
2009-04-17, 09:21 PM
Half-elves also have access to the Sociable Personality feat (RoD), that allows a re-roll of Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.

Chronos
2009-04-17, 10:42 PM
You could do exactly the same thing with a Half-Elf Bard for Diplomacy, and diplo-cheese is better than Bluff.Except that a DM is more likely to allow Bluff as-is than Diplomacy, since Bluff isn't as completely utterly broken. If the DM changes the way Diplomacy works so that it isn't broken, well then it obviously depends on precisely how he changes it.

VirOath
2009-04-17, 11:57 PM
Umm, IIRC, doesn't there come with some rather insane penalties to both Diplo and Bluff should you try some things, or convince people?

I'm remembering the "No, I'm not a halfling, I'm a dwarf that was cursed! You know how we dwarves are, you can trust me. And no, that isn't the crown jewel, I wouldn't dare think of trying to sell that to anyone! Nor would I eve have it, it's impossible! Just a coincidence that it went missing the other week. That is a family heirloom, these times are tough. So what can you give me for it?" Speech.

And regardless, you would have to offer points and reasons, RP it out, not just say, "I'm going to try to convince..."

Berserk Monk
2009-04-18, 03:32 AM

Half-elf? Why would want to throw away my race. Also, not nearly as much fun. Oh, another thing: my disguise modifier:

+10 (racial bonus)
+4 (ranks)
+4 (ability)

modifier: +18*

*Other bonus may apply. I'm just too lazy to check.

Situation:

I stab level 15 half-orc barbarian in tavern. I run out. He follows me. Outside:
half-orc: Hey elf. You see some human run out here dressed in the exact same closes as you?
me: Yeah, he leapt on top of the bar and I saw him running across the roof-tops.
half-orc: Okay.