PDA

View Full Version : Good system for bribery? (3.5)

Harperfan7
2009-04-18, 03:42 AM
Does anyone know of or have a good mechanical system for how bribery works?

I could always ad hoc, but if there are such complicated rules for things like craft, then I would imagine there are rules for bribery somewhere.

Katrascythe
2009-04-18, 04:00 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Diplomacy_(Skill)

There's the basic crap for just general bribes. It could give you something to base bigger and better bribes on, especially since bribes are generally a measurable amount and not just 10GP. Our group generally picks a large enough number that sounds reasonable. It varies depending on what you're trying to get the other person to do.

I'm not sure there's anything more in depth than that link, honestly..

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-18, 04:42 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/MSRD:Diplomacy_(Skill)

There's the basic crap for just general bribes. It could give you something to base bigger and better bribes on, especially since bribes are generally a measurable amount and not just 10GP. Our group generally picks a large enough number that sounds reasonable. It varies depending on what you're trying to get the other person to do.

I'm not sure there's anything more in depth than that link, honestly..

For some reason the link comes up dead - just click the search link (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Special:Search/Diplomacy_%28Skill) and it should come up.

Personally, I prefer to look at the suggested daily wage of the individual, and build off of that. A week's worth of wages is what I'd call a normal bribe; a month's is a good bribe, and 6 months is a very good bribe. If you offer less than a week's wage, then you'd better have a good Intimidate Check to back it up :smalltongue:

EDIT:

if there are such complicated rules for things like craft, then I would imagine there are rules for bribery somewhere.

:tongue:

Turcano
2009-04-18, 04:54 AM
If you haven't already checked out Rich's Diplomacy tweak (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/jFppYwv7OUkegKhONNF.html), you should; under this system, bribery can affect the risk/reward judgment. It's vague, but it should be under this system, but it should be for flexibility's sake; I don't need to tell you that a 10 gp bribe means more to a guard than it does to an aristocrat.

Narmoth
2009-04-18, 07:42 AM
I've found the rules Rich made for Diplomacy to work very well. They can be used for bribes as well, since they state how the character changes attitude when bribed. Then just take a diplomacy check.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-18, 11:55 AM
I've found the rules Rich made for Diplomacy to work very well. They can be used for bribes as well, since they state how the character changes attitude when bribed. Then just take a diplomacy check.
I like Rich's rules as much as the next Playgrounder, but that's not what the OP is asking about - he's looking for a mechanical system for bribery. I take that to mean he wants to figure out a way to appropriately price bribes, not just a way to figure out what modifier a bribery action should garner.

If I am wrong, then yes, you should be using Rich's Diplomacy rules already.

Narmoth
2009-04-18, 12:54 PM
well, you have the wealth by lvl and the npc wages in the phb I think. There you'll find how much a person earns, and thus how good the deal is.
Still, you could just charge what you think you can get out of the players hands without the players getting annoyed

Flickerdart
2009-04-18, 05:53 PM
For some reason the link comes up dead - just click the search link (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Special:Search/Diplomacy_%28Skill) and it should come up.
You have to add a ")" to the end, it gets removed. The same is true of your own link.

Harperfan7
2009-04-19, 12:41 AM
I like Rich's rules as much as the next Playgrounder, but that's not what the OP is asking about - he's looking for a mechanical system for bribery. I take that to mean he wants to figure out a way to appropriately price bribes, not just a way to figure out what modifier a bribery action should garner.

If at all possible, yes.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-19, 01:33 AM
If at all possible, yes.
So... what do you think of the presented solutions so far?

Harperfan7
2009-04-19, 03:18 AM
Thanks for those, they give a good start, but lack the detail I crave.

Actually, help me with this system here, if you are interested.

Bribery is the rendering of something valuable to get someone to do something they ordinarily wouldn't and is often used in conjunction with diplomacy (or in some instances, bluff or intimidate [or even enchantment]). So, bribery is a diplomacy check where the rendering of valuable whatever gives a bonus to the check, but where the check requires something of value in the first place. You could offer something in between a little X with a lot of diplomacy (as in, high diplomacy bonus) or a lot of X with a little diplomacy. The more of each, the higher the result.

But this is where the presented solutions give out. How do you know how the bribe reciprient will react to being bribed? A lowly city watchmen might accept a bribe, but the royal guard? What are the DC factors for things like that? How do you find a given DC? Also, how much of a bribe is required?

Personally, I think something like DC 10 + half HD + Wis Mod +miscellaneous. The DC should also stand for how much of a minimum bribe is required (but how do we calculate that?). Alignments would be a big factor, like +5 for lawful, +5 for good, -5 for chaotic, -5 for evil, these represent the recipients scruples in general. If you fail by 4 or less, they refuse the bribe, if you fail by 5 or more, they turn you in or the equivalent.

Miscellaneous factors would include unusual alignment mixtures, such as a lawful city watchman guarding the jail cell of a CE murderer against a vigilante - I would think the DC might be a little lower than if he was guarding a LG prisoner against a criminal wanting to kill the prisoner. If the watchman could be spared the blame, a lower DC, if he would be punished harshly, a higher DC. Also, if the bribe is especially wanted, a lower DC, such as if there was a famine and the guard was starving, food would be worth far more than PHB prices and may even provide a bonus.

This needs some help. I would appreciate any.