PDA

View Full Version : Module or not?

toddex
2009-04-18, 09:15 AM
What would you recommend for a newer DM? To use a module or to just free form it and shoot a story out?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-18, 01:17 PM
First time or so? Definitely use a module. Once you get good with the DMing basics, you can freeform to your heart's content.

KillianHawkeye
2009-04-18, 01:21 PM
Unless you are a writer or an improv actor or something, I suggest new DMs to start out using a published module or other prewritten adventure. This cuts down on a lot of the work a DM needs to do (but there is still plenty!), especially if you can find a really good one that you really like. As you gain DMing experience, you'll be able to do more improvization and run a game with less specific planning.

I myself have only been DMing for about 1-1/2 years and am still doing prewritten adventures (with a few personal modifications, of course), although I think I'm getting good enough to start writing my own for my next campaign (which probably won't be until next year at the rate my current one is going :smallamused:).

JonestheSpy
2009-04-18, 06:47 PM
I like modules for saving me the trouble of drawing maps.

Generally I think modules are good for springboards to mess with and alter to fit into my own campaign. I can't think of the last time I ran one as written.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-04-18, 07:21 PM
I will disagree - the only way to learn is by doing!

The main problem with using a module is that you are using someone else's work; it is their thoughts that went into the story, and you will have to learn them well in order to run it properly. For me, this has always been harder than writing up my own story - I always know what I was thinking when it comes time to improvise; I may not know what some other author had in mind.

An experienced DM can more easily work with a module because he knows what is necessary to make the adventure work and what can be changed to suit him. For a novice, this is far too difficult.

Should you read modules? If you'd like - they will show you what an adventure is supposed to look like. If you are playing 4E, the DMG gives an excellent introduction to DMing and includes a pre-made town and some suggested story hooks; use those for your first adventure.

Oh, and don't "free form" it - which I take to mean pure improvisation. Write up the adventure beforehand; plan it and think about what will be fun, and what you need to know. Problems will develop, but that is how you learn.

As I like to say "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-18, 07:37 PM
As a new DM, Id recomend reading the stickied DM guide at the top of the forum for advice.

The reason I recommend using a module first is that you get all the little DMing basics NOT INVOLVING the story down pat before you start plotting how to take over helpless elven villages with epic level sorcerers.