PDA

View Full Version : warforged help (healing immunity)

xelliea
2009-04-18, 01:43 PM
I am playing a warforged fighter/ ranger/ warforged juggernaut and i cannot decide if i should go to l.v. 3 juggernaut because i will become immune to healing. I have a fighter and a druid in the party.

Is there a way to stop healing immunity?
Have any of you played a character with healing immunity and how do you deal with it?
Should i go for a higher ranger or fighter level?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Alleine
2009-04-18, 01:48 PM
Spells that grant fast healing aren't affected by healing immunity, so if the druid picks up any of the Vigor(SpC) line of spells, then he can still heal you. For in combat healing you might ask your DM to approve of a variant Belt of Healing, one that instead uses repair magic.

monty
2009-04-18, 01:49 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the vigor line of spells (which the druid gets) would still work, since they give fast healing rather than straight hit point recovery.

Edit: damn ninjas...

Chronos
2009-04-18, 01:57 PM
Healing immunity stops all spells of the Conjuration (Healing) subschool, not just Cure spells. So Vigor wouldn't work, either.

AmberVael
2009-04-18, 01:59 PM
While you become immune to Heal spells, you will continue to be affected by Repair spells. Unfortunately though, they're Arcane spells only.

If you can persuade your DM to give you access to magic items of the Repair series, you might be able to get by. Otherwise, I suggest finding a way to get Fast Healing (though getting it might be a little difficult, I'm sure between magic items and one level dips in classes you could figure something out).

kyoten
2009-04-18, 01:59 PM
Have you considered the Combat Form feats from PHBII?

You would need to take two feats. Combat Focus then Combat Vigor. Of course there are prereqs but at least it is an idea.

xelliea
2009-04-18, 02:05 PM
Spells that grant fast healing aren't affected by healing immunity, so if the druid picks up any of the Vigor(SpC) line of spells, then he can still heal you. For in combat healing you might ask your DM to approve of a variant Belt of Healing, one that instead uses repair magic.

Vigor is healing subschool and my DM said i would need to do a quest to get the belt of repair (we are allready on a quest and i have just leveled up), but thanks for the help. :smallsmile:

Alleine
2009-04-18, 02:10 PM
There are oils of repair, which is basically a healing potion only it repairs instead. Exact same function only for constructs. That might work to tide you over until you can get something else.

AmberVael
2009-04-18, 02:19 PM
Vigor is healing subschool and my DM said i would need to do a quest to get the belt of repair (we are allready on a quest and i have just leveled up), but thanks for the help. :smallsmile:

I'd definitely take this quest option. It might be rough for a little bit, but if you play it safe, and go get the belt relatively soon, things should work out.

Baalthazaq
2009-04-18, 02:35 PM
The estimates for an item that you can use "at will" to do repair 1D8+1 damage is just 2000gp. (1x1x2000) Alternatively the mending cantrip that heals 1 damage is gettable for half that. Useless in combat, but when the fight is done you can just take HP rounds to get back to full.

If you took a single level of artificer or wizard you wouldn't even need to do UMD checks, plus as an artificer you could cast a bunch of infusions on yourself that may come in handy.

Alternatively a twice a day eberron's eternal wand may suffice.

Chronos
2009-04-18, 03:03 PM
The estimates for an item that you can use "at will" to do repair 1D8+1 damage is just 2000gp. (1x1x2000) Alternatively the mending cantrip that heals 1 damage is gettable for half that. Useless in combat, but when the fight is done you can just take HP rounds to get back to full.That's one guideline, but another guideline is to compare the item to similar, already-existing items. And all existing items which can heal unlimited HP damage cost a lot more than one or two thousand GP.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-04-18, 03:21 PM
A one-level dip in Artificer will definitely make things easier for you, as it will greatly increase you ability to heal yourself. Later on, you can use Infusions on your body for extra on-the-spot repairing.

Baalthazaq
2009-04-18, 03:56 PM
That's one guideline, but another guideline is to compare the item to similar, already-existing items. And all existing items which can heal unlimited HP damage cost a lot more than one or two thousand GP.

True, but it's not my fault DnD horribly overprices infinite healing items.
A ring of regeneration, which effectively gives regeneration 0.0017/level, costs 90'000 gp.

Simply not worth it. Ever. You could buy 120 wands for the same price, and heal 33000HP in 10 hours. To heal that much with the ring would (assuming never being on full HP at level 1) take over 3.5 years. Useless in a dungeon unless you have a few days to kill with no patrols.

It's only use is (minorly) cutting down downtime between dungeons assuming you can't pull off finding a level 1 cleric with a few spare healing potions for 1800th the cost of the ring.

DnD is worried about abuse, which is why the prices are over the top. What you've ended up with though is a mistake in the logic of what they're trying to say.

You assume "cure light wounds" is at the very least somewhere near ballpark equal to "a level 1 spell".
It costs the same on a scroll, it costs the same on a wand, it takes up the same spell slot. Why is the price then bumped up all of a sudden to 100 times that when put on an infinite use item rather than a 1 or 50 use item?

If you want to charge extra for the ability to use it between fights, that's fine, but 100 fold more? You're basically saying that the cantrip is worth a level 5 spell because it has healing in the descriptor. It isn't.

I'd rather just take a Ring of invisibility for the whole party, or 4 brooms of flying.

Sorry for the tremendously long rant, but that always bugged me. :P I agree 2000gp is maybe too cheap, but it's not ridiculously so, especially if it's use activated instead of continuous.

Edited to add: Also, he's not doing heal, he's doing repair. In game items include a clockwork mender which can do D8 healing per day for 2500gp, or a mender swarm for (roughly) 8500gp, depending on the calculation estimates you use.

Alternatively still: Eberron wands do 2/day casts for almost the same price as a regular wand. Just buy 90 for the same price as the ring and give yourself 180D8+180 healing per day. Close enough to infinite for me.

Zaq
2009-04-18, 03:57 PM
If your GM doesn't irrationally hate Tome of Battle, see if you can get access to some Devoted Spirit maneuvers, either via the Fighter going Crusader, by taking Martial Study, or by using magic items. While I say that it's total nonsense, by RAW the HP gain that Devoted Spirit maneuvers grant is not magical or even supernatural, it's just straight up HP gain, and thus doesn't care if you're alive, undead, a construct, or whatever. (In my games, I always houserule that don't be silly, of course the Devoted Spirit maneuvers are supernatural, but RAW they should affect you.)

Sophismata
2009-04-18, 05:06 PM
DnD is worried about abuse, which is why the prices are over the top. What you've ended up with though is a mistake in the logic of what they're trying to say.
The Ring of Regeneration's expense has to do with the fact that it's supposed to grant you regeneration, a rare monster ability that allows permanent, in-combat healing, and a means of recovery from both lost limbs and fatal injuries. It didn't really survive the translation to 3E, unfortunately.

Chronos
2009-04-18, 06:48 PM
You assume "cure light wounds" is at the very least somewhere near ballpark equal to "a level 1 spell".
It costs the same on a scroll, it costs the same on a wand, it takes up the same spell slot. Why is the price then bumped up all of a sudden to 100 times that when put on an infinite use item rather than a 1 or 50 use item?An unlimited-use item of Color Spray, say, can in practice be used perhaps 20 times a day, if you have four combats and spend five rounds in each. It's priced based on that assumption. An unlimited-use item of Cure Minor Wounds, however, can be practically used hundreds of times per day (especially since the existence of the item will let you handle a much higher number of daily combats). This doesn't justify inflating the price of the healing trinket by a factor of 100, but it probably does justify inflating it by a factor of 10.

bign10
2009-04-18, 06:49 PM
You could always spend a feat on Leadership and get a Warforged Artificer cohort. (Assuming your DM would allow it.)

Bayar
2009-04-18, 06:55 PM
You could crush the DM's sanity by asking him if you can take the Reforged PrC. Make him ask himself how the **** the two can interact.

The Deej
2009-04-18, 07:50 PM
The real trick is just finding ways to heal other than Conjuration (healing) spells. The obvious answer is repair damage, but I remember from similar situations that a paladin's lay on hands still works. But that means you have to find a paladin.

Also, on a technicality, the faster healing feat would give you a natural healing rate.

Faster Healing [General]
Prerequisites: Base Fortitude Save Bonus +5

You recover lost hit points and ability score points faster than you normally would, accordind to the following table: {see table in CW, p.99}

That would technically mean that you would heal at the listed rate, which is faster than your normal rate of 0. I do however foresee most DM's just saying "doesn't work that way", but just a thought.

Seffbasilisk
2009-04-18, 07:54 PM
Take Tomb Tainted Soul, and heal with negative energy instead.

ZeroNumerous
2009-04-18, 08:07 PM
Take Tomb Tainted Soul, and heal with negative energy instead.

That'd work if he had a cleric instead of a druid in the party. Zaq's suggestion of getting the Devoted Spirit stance Martial Spirit is your best bet. It's only a two-feat investment that heals you for 2 HP per melee swing.

Fizban
2009-04-18, 08:12 PM
You can always take the feat Draconic Aura [Vigor], which has no requirements by this point. It'll only get you fast healing 1 up to half your full hp, but that's a start, and it even affects the whole party!

monty
2009-04-18, 08:17 PM
I never could figure out why infinite out-of-combat healing was considered so broken. In some campaigns, particularly time-sensitive ones, I can see it being an issue, but in your typical dungeon crawl, it mostly just means that the party doesn't have to stop to rest as often.

elonin
2009-04-18, 08:30 PM
The inflict spells are still conjuration.

The Deej
2009-04-18, 08:39 PM
The inflict spells are still conjuration.

No, they're necromancy. And it's the healing subschool specifically that doesn't affect him anyway.

Starbuck_II
2009-04-18, 08:50 PM
Psions can heal others by many ways:
Empathic touch, psionic repair damage (Constructs/objects), etc.

Chronos
2009-04-18, 10:50 PM
You can always take the feat Draconic Aura [Vigor], which has no requirements by this point. It'll only get you fast healing 1 up to half your full hp, but that's a start, and it even affects the whole party!As written, the Draconic Aura feat can only be used for the auras printed in Dragon Magic (which do not include Vigor), so the Vigor aura is only available to Dragon Shamans. Of course, you may still be able to talk your DM into allowing it.

Baalthazaq
2009-04-18, 11:18 PM
An unlimited-use item of Color Spray, say, can in practice be used perhaps 20 times a day, if you have four combats and spend five rounds in each. It's priced based on that assumption. An unlimited-use item of Cure Minor Wounds, however, can be practically used hundreds of times per day (especially since the existence of the item will let you handle a much higher number of daily combats). This doesn't justify inflating the price of the healing trinket by a factor of 100, but it probably does justify inflating it by a factor of 10.

I'd agree with that I think... 10k seems fair for fast healing 1.
20K for fast healing 5.
180'000 for fast healing 10.
300'000 for fast healing 15.

Yeah...not too shabby when you compare what you can get for the same price. They start to get to the point where you'd want them. (I'd still prefer a ring of invisibility or +3 weapon to fast healing 5 if there is a cleric in the party.... but it's not an easy choice.

I never could figure out why infinite out-of-combat healing was considered so broken. In some campaigns, particularly time-sensitive ones, I can see it being an issue, but in your typical dungeon crawl, it mostly just means that the party doesn't have to stop to rest as often.

I once had a party with no healing in it.
We had a warforge artificer (repair)
We had a phoelarch (heal by fire)
We had a Sorceress (Sanctuary + Permanency effectively)
We had a Fighter (20 Con, and Solid Armor, Fast Healing 1)
We had a dread pirate (Fast healing 3)

Worked really nicely. They had to be even more careful than usual due to the no healing, but their downtime was significantly reduced.

The fast healing was acquired through a particularly nasty group of spiders I created. They drain con with their poison, but replace it with a point of fast healing per con lost. Restoration/heal/etc clears both effects.

Zeful
2009-04-18, 11:37 PM

I think it has to do with part of the expectations that are built into the game. The game assumed you were full at the "beginning" of every day (which is doable with simply a cleric in the party), but expected you to be damaged/otherwise weakened throughout the day. Your first battle had you a 100%, your second had you at 80%, then 60... and so on. If you started every battle at 100% then you can take greater risks than "expected" making each battle easier.
But then the core game doesn't handle infinites very well either.

Kristoss
2009-04-19, 12:18 AM
I'd agree with that I think... 10k seems fair for fast healing 1.
20K for fast healing 5.
180'000 for fast healing 10.
300'000 for fast healing 15.

Yeah...not too shabby when you compare what you can get for the same price.

If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

Emphases mine.
So by what's written amulet of Least Vigor costs 8000gp.
1 CL * 1 spell level * 2000 * 4 duration in rounds
link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#)

Baalthazaq
2009-04-19, 12:32 AM
Emphases mine.
So by what's written amulet of Least Vigor costs 8000gp.
1 CL * 1 spell level * 2000 * 4 duration in rounds
link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#)

Lol, damnit, I totally got ninja'd before I could save face. :P I was even in the process of editing my past posts.

I remembered to include the instantaneous multiplier in the car on the way to work, but it's a 45 min drive.

Still 8000gp sounds fine.

I was talking more about a use-activated item though with infinite uses, as the cure spells are instantaneous, so can't really have duration, so can't be converted to items like that. I didn't think of using vigor, but it makes far more sense.

xelliea
2009-04-19, 02:16 AM
I cannot take another class because i have 3 (is that the max?), also vigor or healing items are still healing spells so would i be able to use them?

thanks for the help everyone! :smallbiggrin:

Fizban
2009-04-19, 03:22 AM
As written, the Draconic Aura feat can only be used for the auras printed in Dragon Magic (which do not include Vigor), so the Vigor aura is only available to Dragon Shamans. Of course, you may still be able to talk your DM into allowing it.

Huh. You're right. I could have sworn there was a passage that said you could take any draconic aura, but the feat specifically reference the page in the book, the section of which only mentions the aura's in the PHBII for dragon shamans. That is significantly not awesome.

VirOath
2009-04-19, 03:37 AM
I cannot take another class because i have 3 (is that the max?), also vigor or healing items are still healing spells so would i be able to use them?

thanks for the help everyone! :smallbiggrin:

If it blocks the Healing Subschool, then no. It's sort of a side running debate now, but you could get items that used Repair instead of heal.

And there is no technical limit to the number of classes you can have. The only thing you have to worry about is the multiclass penalty, which gives a stacking negative to the EXP you earn for each Character Class you have that is not a favored class and beyond a one level difference. It's a lesser sung aspect of humans, if your DM employs that rule.

And no, PrCs and Racial HD do not count towards the Multiclass penalty.

But I've played with more than one group that set a hard cap on the number of Core and PrCs you could have on a character anyways. To prevent excessive dipping. Case of House Rules, and the DM has the right to change anything in their campaign.

xelliea
2009-04-19, 06:37 AM
If it blocks the Healing Subschool, then no. It's sort of a side running debate now, but you could get items that used Repair instead of heal.

And there is no technical limit to the number of classes you can have. The only thing you have to worry about is the multiclass penalty, which gives a stacking negative to the EXP you earn for each Character Class you have that is not a favored class and beyond a one level difference. It's a lesser sung aspect of humans, if your DM employs that rule.

And no, PrCs and Racial HD do not count towards the Multiclass penalty.

But I've played with more than one group that set a hard cap on the number of Core and PrCs you could have on a character anyways. To prevent excessive dipping. Case of House Rules, and the DM has the right to change anything in their campaign.

My DM does not use exp negs, but he only allows 3 classes. (i think)

Baalthazaq
2009-04-19, 12:31 PM
My DM does not use exp negs, but he only allows 3 classes. (i think)

You could always take leadership and get an artificer as a cohort. That's sortof what my warforge did.

maniakmastah
2009-04-21, 12:29 AM
If you have any ranks in Craft armorsmithing, blacksmithing, gemcutting or sculpting, a warforged can use this skill to repair damage to themselves. It goes like this. It requires 8 hours of work and restores a number of hit points equal to the Craft check result -15. You can take 10 on this check, but not 20 (though depending on the DM, this can be open to interpretation). This will mainly be used out of combat when your other party members may be resting. It's not one of the greatest, but with a Warforged Repair Kit, which is only 100 gp, is certainly one of the earliest and cheapest ways to restore lost HP to a warforged.

Rubicon
2009-04-21, 06:59 AM
The Humanoid Essence, Lesser spell in Races of Eberron allows constructs to benefit from spells of the healing subschool. It is part of the Cleric and Artificer spell lists.

Zeful
2009-04-21, 10:58 AM
The Humanoid Essence, Lesser spell in Races of Eberron allows constructs to benefit from spells of the healing subschool. It is part of the Cleric and Artificer spell lists.
But how does that specific rule interact with the specific rule related to the Warforged Juggernaut healing immunity?

If you have any ranks in Craft armorsmithing, blacksmithing, gemcutting or sculpting, a warforged can use this skill to repair damage to themselves. It goes like this. It requires 8 hours of work and restores a number of hit points equal to the Craft check result -15. You can take 10 on this check, but not 20 (though depending on the DM, this can be open to interpretation). This will mainly be used out of combat when your other party members may be resting. It's not one of the greatest, but with a Warforged Repair Kit, which is only 100 gp, is certainly one of the earliest and cheapest ways to restore lost HP to a warforged.

The Take 20 rules preclude actions that have punishments for failure, rolling a 1 means you have done a minimum 13 damage to your self (1(die)+1(skill rank)-15=-13). Further when do you have 160 hours on hand to heal yourself?

Rubicon
2009-04-21, 08:05 PM
But how does that specific rule interact with the specific rule related to the Warforged Juggernaut healing immunity?

I'm not completely sure of the RAW for this, but for RAI I think that the lesser humanoid essence spell temporarily suppresses the Warforged Juggernaut's healing immunity. The reason for this assumption is ability drain:

A warforged character with the Improved Fortification feat, or a Warforged Juggernaut without Construct Perfection VI (5th level) is still subject to ability damage and ability drain, but is immune to spells of the healing subschool. This includes the restoration line of spells. Consequently, such a character has no means to recover from ability drain short of miracle/ wish, with total repair being the only option to cure ability damage (Artificer only).

@OP: If you mention this to your DM, then they should allow the humanoid essence spells to work. Although it appears that you don't have a cleric in the party, lesser humanoid essence can be obtained as an oil of lesser humanoid essence. Apply this, then allow your druid to use cure spells on you (or use wands/spells yourself).

f you have any ranks in Craft armorsmithing, blacksmithing, gemcutting or sculpting, a warforged can use this skill to repair damage to themselves. It goes like this. It requires 8 hours of work and restores a number of hit points equal to the Craft check result -15. You can take 10 on this check, but not 20 (though depending on the DM, this can be open to interpretation). This will mainly be used out of combat when your other party members may be resting.

Using the Craft skill to repair yourself is designed to allow warforged to gain a similar amount of hit points as a humanoid character getting 8 hours of sleep. For a warforged with maximum ranks in a Craft skill, taking 10 on the skill check will repair approximately (character level HP) per 8 hours work (Zeful has pointed out why you can't take 20). By 7th level (minimum for the OP's Warforged Juggernaut 2), most parties will only be resting when their casters run out of spells, not as a means to recover hit points in the middle of a dungeon.

maniakmastah
2009-04-25, 02:24 AM
Would a warforged with a vampiric weapon gain the healing from the extra damage it inflicts?

Rubicon
2009-04-25, 05:00 AM
Would a warforged with a vampiric weapon gain the healing from the extra damage it inflicts?

Yes.

Improved Fortification, the Juggernaut's Healing Immunity and the warforged racial description all place healing limits on spells of the Healing subschool. The vampiric weapon power is not of the healing sub-school/-discipline. By comparison, the healing sub-discipline does exist for powers (e.g. body purification).

As vampiric weapon is not of the healing subschool, a warforged can benefit from the healing the power* provides.

*) This assumes magic-psionics transparency. The warforged racial description further limits healing from supernatural effects, which may include powers in a psionics-is-different world, or a weapon enhancement which provides a similar effect.

maniakmastah
2009-04-25, 09:43 AM
Yes.

Improved Fortification, the Juggernaut's Healing Immunity and the warforged racial description all place healing limits on spells of the Healing subschool. The vampiric weapon power is not of the healing sub-school/-discipline. By comparison, the healing sub-discipline does exist for powers (e.g. body purification).

As vampiric weapon is not of the healing subschool, a warforged can benefit from the healing the power* provides.

*) This assumes magic-psionics transparency. The warforged racial description further limits healing from supernatural effects, which may include powers in a psionics-is-different world, or a weapon enhancement which provides a similar effect.

Cool, but I was talking about the vampiric weapon enchantment from Magic Items Compendium, it's listed as a +2 enchantment. Mistake on my part for not being clear enough. I figured since Juggernauts can't be healed by spells from the healing subschool and can't use potions, and since oils tend to get rather expensive over time, getting a vampiric weapon would be one of the better ways for a warforged to regain lost hit points.

VirOath
2009-04-25, 11:37 PM
Cool, but I was talking about the vampiric weapon enchantment from Magic Items Compendium, it's listed as a +2 enchantment. Mistake on my part for not being clear enough. I figured since Juggernauts can't be healed by spells from the healing subschool and can't use potions, and since oils tend to get rather expensive over time, getting a vampiric weapon would be one of the better ways for a warforged to regain lost hit points.

Be warned, Vampiric counts as a Necromancy effect, which I believe Perfect Construction IV makes them immune to (Or before). You can see this as the spells needed in it's crafting.

Do depending on the ruling, you may lose use of the vampiric effect.

Alleine
2009-04-26, 02:29 AM
Vampiric weapons should work. The effect they describe in no way states that it is an X type of effect and thus subject to immunities.

Spells required in crafting don't really mean much after the weapon is crafted. Most magic items don't actually use the spell, they take the concept of the spell and put it to use. IMO saying you can't use a vampiric weapon because of the required spell is kind of a jerk move.

maniakmastah
2009-04-26, 09:54 AM
Vampiric weapons should work. The effect they describe in no way states that it is an X type of effect and thus subject to immunities.

Spells required in crafting don't really mean much after the weapon is crafted. Most magic items don't actually use the spell, they take the concept of the spell and put it to use. IMO saying you can't use a vampiric weapon because of the required spell is kind of a jerk move.

Agreed, but depending on how many levels the player takes in Juggernaut, this enchantment would stop working if they take the 4th level in Juggernaut, which makes them IMMUNE to necromancy effects. Something to take into consideration before purchasing that enchantment, since it's quite expensive.

monty
2009-04-26, 12:27 PM
Agreed, but depending on how many levels the player takes in Juggernaut, this enchantment would stop working if they take the 4th level in Juggernaut, which makes them IMMUNE to necromancy effects. Something to take into consideration before purchasing that enchantment, since it's quite expensive.

But it's not a necromancy effect. The weapon has a necromancy aura, but that doesn't mean the effect itself is necromancy.