PDA

View Full Version : Orb Optimization {4e}

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-18, 01:56 PM
I was reading some Wizard's Handbooks, and I noticed something that contradicts the rules, at least as far as I see them.

Alternatively, you can choose to extend the duration of an effect created by a wizard AT-WILL spell...

Now, this is where Im lost. What everyone else seems to be implying is that the Orb can be used for other spells as well. Am I missing something?

Mando Knight
2009-04-18, 02:08 PM
Now, this is where Im lost. What everyone else seems to be implying is that the Orb can be used for other spells as well. Am I missing something?

Nice catch. I didn't see that keyword there before.

Gralamin
2009-04-18, 02:59 PM
I was reading some Wizard's Handbooks, and I noticed something that contradicts the rules, at least as far as I see them.

Thats not what the orb is really for. The Orb is for the -X to Saving Throws. Since Saving Throws don't scale, and you have a scaling bonus that (In certain builds) gets higher then -15, you can even keep a solo stun-locked for the encounter.

Consider: 18 Wisdom + 8 (Levels) + 2 (Demigod) = +9. Orb of Ultimate Imposition +6 with this wisdom means a total of -15 to Saving throws.

Another trick for similar, but less cheesy results:
Hybrid Swordmage / Wizard, Grab whichever class feature you want, Wield a Cunning Weapon.

ocato
2009-04-18, 03:12 PM
Even a fairly reasonable build can probably squeeze in 'second implement' and 'spell focus' for a good bump off the old saving throw. That's why I like the orb for backup.

NecroRebel
2009-04-18, 03:15 PM
A lot of people do seem to misread that clause to allow it to work on any power. I know I did the first few times I read it.

However, as Gralamin said, the real strength of Orbizards is save ends powers. It's actually fairly easy to stack -11 to saving throws at higher levels, which makes it impossible for normal enemies to save against your powers. With the game-breakingly powerful Orb of Ultimate Imposition, from AV, it's possible to stack up -16 and more, which makes it so that literally no target can save against your powers.

Consider a staff wizard who takes the Wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon path, then takes the feat that gives you a second Implement Mastery feature to pick up Orb Mastery. The WotST lets them use a sword as the implement type they have (staff). So, they pick up a Cunning Longsword +6 and use it as a staff to deliver their powers. That's -4 to enemy saves. Then, they wield an Orb of Ultimate Imposition +6 in their offhand. With a relatively-trivial +6 Wisdom bonus, you can apply the Orb of Imposition for -16 saves. Pretty specific build, and somewhat-expensive, but with a build using this technique you can have a 16% chance of one-shotting Tiamat with a level 1 daily. Lesser foes are even more vulnerable.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-18, 04:10 PM
All right, thanks Playground. I see what you mean by the saving throw penalty...that could knock someone unconcious with a Sleep spell forever!

My DM is really leniant and thinks that the Orb sucks, so I can probably get him to remove the at will part anyway.:smallsmile:

TheOOB
2009-04-18, 10:09 PM
The ability to extend the duration of an at-will power is just so the ability is usable every battle even if you are not using a save ends effect during the battle.

Thajocoth
2009-04-19, 01:26 AM
I've got an orb wizard of 7th level who only can use his orb to extend the duration of Illusory Ambush. It's still quite helpful and has made a difference in almost every battle. Maybe someday he'll get something with saves. Maybe not.

Kurald Galain
2009-04-19, 02:17 AM

This part is only for extending Cloud of Daggers and Ray of Frost (and more importantly, the Thunder Pillar from arcane power).

However, a low-level item exists called the Orb of Inevitable Continuance, which once per day lets you extend any spell.

Orbs are awesome.