PDA

View Full Version : Adding 1st-level Sorc spells to Bard lists

Zaq
2009-04-18, 03:28 PM
So to keep it short and sweet, I'd like to know if there are any easy ways (ACFs, for example) that would add a single 1st-level Sor/Wiz spell to a Bard's spellcasting list. I'm well aware that Sublime Chord lets a bard cast Sorcerer spells, but that's way higher level than what I'm looking for, and I only care about a single spell. (The lower level I can get this working, the better.)

To give specifics, I want to get Ghostly Reload (from Races of the Dragon) on a bard, so that he can use a crossbow without A) sucking or B) burning a feat on Rapid Reload.

I know that a bard, with their high CHA and UMD, would have an easy time using a wand or scroll of Ghostly Reload, but then the caster level would suck until I could afford to buy a wand with a higher one, which would be very expensive.

Any suggestions? And yes, the crossbow is non-negotiable, so don't tell me that bows are better. I know that they're better, and I don't care.

Bluebeard
2009-04-18, 03:39 PM
Lyric Thaumaturge from Complete Mage does just what you're asking.

Extra Spell might, depending on your DM's interpretation.

There are various items in the MIC (and in Dragon magazine) that set a precedence if you want to make a custom item.

Or you could talk to your DM.
Or cast a couple Unseen Servants and let them do the same thing.

SydneyLosstarot
2009-04-18, 03:44 PM
try asking your DM.
the spell seems to suck quite profoundly(i mean, ten reloads for a standart action spell? with an 1 hour duration?), so if i were in his place, i'd allow it easily.
not that you will *gasp* break the game with rapid reload.

also the Lyric Thaumaturge PrC allows you to learn some wizard spells at... oh. 9th level.

EDIT: the ninjas did it!

lsfreak
2009-04-18, 03:55 PM
If you're not set on getting the spell, by the rules in the DMG it would cost you between 2000gp and 8000gp to get an item that makes Ghostly Reload constantly work (depending on how your DM wants to do the calculations).

And yea, honestly that seems like a bard spell to me anywho, if I were asked I'd let it in.

Arbitrarity
2009-04-18, 04:37 PM
This isn't a direct solution to the problem, but if you want to use a crossbow, without rapid reload, grab the Quick-Loading enhancement (+1, MIC), which makes reloading a light crossbow a free action, a heavy crossbow a standard action.
Cost, however, might be an issue. 8K minimum for a +1 crossbow :smallyuk:

Ent
2009-04-18, 04:42 PM
What type of crossbow would you like to use?

StoryKeeper
2009-04-18, 09:42 PM
If you don't mind playing a kobold, you can use that ritual (it's earl on in the kobold section of Races of Dragon, but forget what it's called) that lets them use a sorcerer spell of first level each day.