PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an answer (3.5)

negativity 101
2009-04-18, 05:22 PM
A few months back i was going to play in a arena fight with some friends, and therefore contemplated if this combo would be valid or not. The fight was kinda on the spur of the moment, and we tend to use the houserule, that we can only use the books available in the room, therefore (lacking a DMG) I ended up no using it, but it kept preying on my mind, and therefore I now ask you, the community of GItP to give your comments.

The combo is like this.
A weapon with the spell storing enchantment (DMG). The spell stored is Primal form (Spell compendium) which basically transforms the recipent into a medium elemental (fire, air, earth or water), disallowing use of spells and furthermore the recipent loses all extraordinary, supernatural and spell-like abilities.
The spell is elegible since it has a target (you) and it takes only a standard action to cast.
Furthermore since it has target:you it doesn't allow a save or spell resistance.

Why is this not a reasonable combo? Or does it indeed work as intended?
What I'm most worried about is the "target :you" part, since in reality it is only ment to be cast on yourself, but since the entry for the spell storing weapon lists "Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires", then what might be a fair interpretation? That the enchantment allows for the spell to affect a target other than "you" or that it does not?

I will be thankfull for any constructive advice and comments :smallsmile:

Nohwl
2009-04-18, 07:44 PM
well, you can read the description of spell storing as not including 3rd level (up to, but not including 3rd level, or up to and including), and you could make the argument that since it is a personal effect, it cant get into the weapon in the first place. the weapon will have to be in the range of the spell for you to put an effect into it, and the weapon isn't in the range of personal.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-18, 08:59 PM
It is if it is a familiar!

Random thought when I read that.

Ent
2009-04-18, 09:15 PM
"Personal: The spell affects only you."

Reading Spell Storing either the weapon itself is the caster, or you are like other items that cast spells.