PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves

Icewalker
2009-04-18, 08:35 PM
What are yours? I was reminded of several of mine today.

The phrase 'it couldn't hurt'. This is just so inaccurate. Often it is true that the downside far outweighs the upside, but honestly, everything would at least take some time, which could well be used for something else. I understand that it is meant to mean 'it is certainly worth doing,' it just bothers me.

The use of the word 'chemical' to describe a negative additive to a food.

Restaurants where the menu lacks a non-alcoholic drinks section, or a drinks section entirely.

Dogmantra
2009-04-18, 08:41 PM
The phrase "I could care less". Great, so you care at least a bit, right?
No?
Then you, dearie, want the word "couldn't", it's an interesting concept, I know, but negatives do exist.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-04-18, 09:02 PM
SUV drivers that tailgate relentlessly. You know who you are. Those disgusting monstrosities of engineering are to blame for most of the worlds problems. That does not give you the right to fly right up behind me because I am going the speed limit and flash your lights and honk your horn. BTW, get off the <blank>ing phone. You could at least pay attention to the road while you are destroying civility.

Starscream
2009-04-18, 09:05 PM
When people use the name "Frankenstein" to refer to the monster. AARRGGHH!!!

When people claim that a food or product is healthy because it is "all natural". Arsenic is all natural, I'm not sprinkling it on my Corn Flakes.

Stubbing my toe. Admit it, for a split second after it happens you honestly wish you'd been shot instead.

I'll probably think of more later. I'm too ticked off right now just thinking of those "Frankenstein" people.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-04-18, 09:09 PM
When people use the name "Frankenstein" to refer to the monster. AARRGGHH!!!

I know the feeling. It's because it's too hard to say "Dr. Frankenstien's Flesh Golem".

And while we are on the subject of abject horror; it is NOT "Buffy the Vampires Layer".

Jølly
2009-04-18, 09:19 PM
When people mention something to make me curious but refuse to talk about it further. The most infamous case for me...

I was riding passenger with this guy when he mentions that sometimes he has lapses in thought and for me to buckle up. I ask why he has lapses in thought and hes like...oh it's from these pills that a doctor gave me for something I don't think I have. :smallconfused:

Now I'm curious and a little nervous being on a busy intersection with him so I ask...what are the pills for? He turns his head and gives me this really weird look and says he doesn't want to talk about it. :smallannoyed:

He discovered this bugged me and made sure to do it more often...drove me insane! :smallfurious:

Ashen Lilies
2009-04-18, 09:19 PM
Restaurants where the menu lacks a non-alcoholic drinks section, or a drinks section entirely.

I'll one up you on that. Restaurants where there's a separate Drinks Menu. And a Desserts Menu. And a Wine List (though this one is semi-justified). Was it too hard to put all the menus in one convenient package!? :smallmad:

Icewalker
2009-04-18, 10:15 PM
Oh, misquoting! In pretty much any form.

If somebody makes a reference via quoting, but gets the quote wrong in such a way that significantly damages the comedic or dramatic effect of the line, it actually makes me at least twitch.

If somebody misquotes me, whether or not it is a misinterpretation I very much dislike when my words are rephrased and still attributed to me.

Overlord Nicy
2009-04-18, 10:18 PM
"_____ as hell." Or anything similar. You know what I'm talking about.

CrimsonAngel
2009-04-18, 10:22 PM
Guys that talk about their body parts with eachother than call some other guy gay.

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-18, 10:28 PM
When I'm watching a movie or a TV show with my friends and they sit together and shut me out of the conversation because they've read the synopsis already and they don't want to spoil it for me. Well whispering over there is distracting and even more annoying than any spoilers, guys.

Anuan
2009-04-18, 11:14 PM
"_____ as hell." Or anything similar. You know what I'm talking about.
>_>
I know, that's annoying as hell! Gr!
<_<

Pyrian
2009-04-18, 11:40 PM
That does not give you the right to fly right up behind me because I am going the speed limit and flash your lights and honk your horn.Get out of the fast lane. :smallamused: :smallwink:

...Yeah, my pet peeve is people who drive slow in the fast lane. :smallfurious:

And while we are on the subject of abject horror; it is NOT "Buffy the Vampires Layer"....Are you sure? :smalltongue:

Starscream
2009-04-18, 11:47 PM
...Are you sure? :smalltongue:

She did sleep with at least one vampire, but I doubt it was enough of a defining personality trait that they would name the series after it.

reorith
2009-04-19, 12:04 AM
after a quick review of stuff, i've compiled a list.

people that claim moral high ground for stupid reasons
people using the words "clip" and "magazine" as if they're synonyms
people that talk about unlocking achievements as actual accomplishments
teenagers
charities
neckbeards

I know the feeling. It's because it's too hard to say "Dr. Frankenstien's Flesh Golem".
uhhh in readings, shelley referred to the creature as adam. i'm aware of what you've done, and i don't approve.

Katrascythe
2009-04-19, 02:08 AM
Let's see, I dislike people who bring their small children to R-rated movies

I dislike the people who bring their screaming banshees to restaurants.

I dislike people who constantly cut across lanes because they don't pay attention to their exit.

Jade_Tarem
2009-04-19, 02:13 AM
- Little yappy dogs.
- Blown-out stereos in cars blasting substandard bass beats loud enough to be heard in orbit.
- The song Soak Up the Sun (Long story)

Seffbasilisk
2009-04-19, 02:41 AM
Children
People who insist they're not afraid when they obviously are.
Shaking hands
Websites that only load partially
Slow internet
Slow computers
Bad pr0n.

Cheesegear
2009-04-19, 03:18 AM
People who misquote religious scripture
Chauvinists
Feminists
People who say "It'll be alright." and "Just not worry about it."
Optimists in general, really :smallamused:
People who criticise an activity without ever trying/seeing it for themselves
Drunk people
Dirt and grime. 'Mess' I can deal with, since it (usually) isn't festering with germs. I'm good to have at parties, 'cause I'll always help you out with the dishes (even if I do them by myself at your house)
People who let me clean up their stuff without helping
When people don't say 'Thankyou' after I do them a favour. Although they don't have to say 'Please' when they ask...I'm wierd like that. :smallwink:
People who expect me to help them with everything.
Girls I don't even know who think I'll buy them a drink
Girls I do know who think I'll buy them a drink
See Drunk People, above
Any dog smaller than knee-height. Get a real dog people.
People who carry dogs in handbags
RPGs where all 'I' ever seem to say is "..."

Originally posted by Reorith
neckbeards

lol.

Originally quoted by Seffbasalisk
Websites that only load partially
Slow internet
Slow computers
Bad pr0n

Is all that related?

Turcano
2009-04-19, 03:30 AM
And while we are on the subject of abject horror; it is NOT "Buffy the Vampires Layer".

That one's in the cordoned-off area of the rental store.

Quincunx
2009-04-19, 04:42 AM
People whose apologies for their walls of text, especially footnote apologies written after the wall, consume more characters than reviewing the post and inserting the necessary line breaks would have consumed.

bosssmiley
2009-04-19, 06:29 AM
Pic related (http://bunny-comic.com/strips/020205.gif) :smallsmile:

People whose apologies for their walls of text, especially footnote apologies written after the wall, consume more characters than reviewing the post and inserting the necessary line breaks would have consumed.

Related: people who can't do brevity. "LRN 2 Précis!" :smallmad:

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-04-19, 06:34 AM
People who smoke inconsiderately, exposing others to the smoke.

Calling the American Thanksgiving holiday, "Turkey Day."

Fratboys.

Ashen Lilies
2009-04-19, 06:42 AM
People who complain about what other people do. I mean, it's so annoying! We get it! You don't like what they're doing! No one cares what you think anyways! Just Shut. Up. Gods!

horngeek
2009-04-19, 06:58 AM
Anyone condemming anyone else for almost anything (people who are unrepentant in crimes that get life is another matter). We're not perfect, so we have no right to judge anyone else.

In Bleach, Momo Hinamori bashers. Bash Aizen for driving her into that state.

Pairings of a total and utter evil character with a nice one, among fans. The nice one deserves better.

And finally, anyone who hits me in the face. At all (I have glasses)

These were in order of how peeved I get. The first one is, far and away, the biggest.

GoC
2009-04-19, 07:06 AM
A certain kind of feminist
People who don't care of they are being inconsistent with their ethics
People who claim to be scientific without even checking to make sure the understand the scientific method
People who are wilfuly ignorant.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-04-19, 08:29 AM
"TLDR"
"Everyone is entitled to their opinion."
"New and Improved" (I mean, how is it both?)
Serving Suggestions.
Tesco's nut allergy warnings.

Ingedients: No nuts.
Recipy: No nuts.
Factory: No nuts
We cannot guarantee this product is nut free.
People who claim that Organic Food is good for the environment (it is infact not, if we wanted to feed the world with it we would have to tear down pretty much all of the worlds forest to get enough room. It may have other benefits, but environmental it is not.)
Animal Wrongs groups (PETA in particular)
Political Correctness. Politeness will do the job, I do not need to be told off for having a religious view that are shared (more or less) by 35% of the world.
People who confuse Vulgarity with Witt.
People who can't use Irony, but try anyway.
People who are of the opinion that Meaning Something is more important that Being Enjoyable in art and theater.
Slash fic.
99.99% of fan fic.
Fanboyism.
The fact that intellectualism seems to be a seen as a cultural vice.
Dritzz clones.
The way teachers are treated by the media, parents and the government.
People who abuse statistics.
Monopoly.
Monopolies.
Alternative therapies (especially those that have been conclusively shown to have placebo only benefit although in a way the ones without the testing at all are worse) on the NHS.

Liffguard
2009-04-19, 02:17 PM
The phrase "I could care less". Great, so you care at least a bit, right?
No?
Then you, dearie, want the word "couldn't", it's an interesting concept, I know, but negatives do exist.

Thank you!

People who do curls in the squat rack. Seriously, if you're going to waste your time with a functionally useless exercise, at least have the decency not to get in the way of people who actually want to train properly.

thubby
2009-04-19, 02:51 PM
hugs from people i don't/barely know. more importantly people who won't accept that i don't like it.

people who make sweeping character judgments based on 1 position on 1 thing.

being forced to write about things i couldn't care less about.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-04-19, 04:02 PM
people who make sweeping character judgments based on 1 position on 1 thing.+1 for this. I hold a few conservative views and this makes many people expect me to be a biggot.

Cheesegear
2009-04-19, 04:51 PM
"TLDR"

I see that everywhere, and I'm only just Googling it now. Google tells me it's for lazy people.

People who claim that Organic Food is good for the environment (it is infact not, if we wanted to feed the world with it we would have to tear down pretty much all of the worlds forest to get enough room. It may have other benefits, but environmental it is not.)

"If everything in the environment is 'Natural' or 'Organic', how come it is bad for us?"
That was a serious question in my Chem class.

"Oh noes! A dog got treated badly in Thailand! In that particular culture, dogs are little more than vermin. But in our culture, it's bad. Let's go force our views on them."

...Actually, that last sentence is why I dislike a lot of groups. One of those groups happens to be 'in charge of things'.

Political Correctness. Politeness will do the job, I do not need to be told off for having a religious view that are shared (more or less) by 35% of the world.

'Politically Correct' is a politically correct way of saying 'Censorship'.

People who confuse Vulgarity with Wit.

+1 Support.

People who are of the opinion that Meaning Something is more important that Being Enjoyable in art and theater.

+1 Support. Although, for me, often, Meaning Something is what makes the film/book/other art Enjoyable.

99.99% of fan fic.

90% of everything is crap. You're just more stringent than the rest of us.

See; Vulgarity = Wit

The way teachers are treated by the media, parents and the government.

I actually went back to my old High School about a year after I graduated, and apologised to them for being such a little s*.

Statistics can prove anything. Especially when taken out of context.

Alternative therapies (especially those that have been conclusively shown to have placebo only benefit although in a way the ones without the testing at all are worse) on the NHS.

Being in the Medical Field myself, I am definately agreeing with you. There are exactly two practices that work (I wont tell you what they are, unless I'm PM'd. I'll avoid flames), and they are covered by most Insurance Companies. They use 100% science to work, except the reason that they are still alternative (even though the Public Health System supports it), is because they're not 'Western' in origin.

In fact;
People who think that 'Foreign' automatically means 'Good'
People who think that because something is where they're from, that automatically makes it good.

B-Man
2009-04-19, 04:55 PM
American spelling on official Canadian documents and Canadian advertisements.
People that leave the lights on in a room when they leave the room.
Spelling the word "through" as "thru".
The spelling of doughnut in Tim Hortons shops.
People who use the 12-hour clock and neglect to insert what time of day they are referring to. IE: not including AM or PM for times.
People who use the 24-hour clock and don't have a leading zero for times like 01:00.
American spelling of metre, centre, and theatre.
People who say they are going to the theatre when they mean going to a movie.
The way Nova Scotians tend to pronounce tour, tourism, and sure.

Lupy
2009-04-19, 05:58 PM
Boston accents... I know it's not their fault, and that a lot of people hate southern accents, but they drive me nuts. New York City's accent isn't as bad, but it still bugs me.

People who move somewhere and then complain about how much better they liked the other place. Particularly when the complainers are people who have moved to the US from another country. It bugs me when people move here from other states and then complain about it too, but not as much.

People who say "sniper rifle" and mean assault rifle. The same goes for people who say "sniper" for anyone who uses a gun.

People who act like not owning a hybrid by choice is a crime.

People who give the Marines credit for what the Army does.

I would also support everything Dmmk said, but especially on animal wrongs groups (I like that term :smallamused:), people who think that "Organic" foods help the environment, and the use of political correctness. If people would think before they spoke, we wouldn't need to be censored.

Durp
2009-04-19, 06:08 PM
Those annoying "Pretty fly white guys" in movie theaters who talk louder than the movie itself, always swearing and/or saying things very inappropriate for public speech, let alone a movie theater.

THAC0
2009-04-19, 06:12 PM
There. Their. They're.

Your. You're.

It's. Its.

Accept. Except.

Affect. Effect.

Alteran
2009-04-19, 06:15 PM
I try not to let myself get angry about insignificant things, but these things that I need to make myself ignore can be found in the following list.

Tim Hortons not serving breakfast after 11am. If I'm near a Tim Hortons before 11 then it's a school day and I don't have time to get food there. I am therefore a huge fan of all-day breakfast.

"Organic" food. All food is organic, otherwise it wouldn't be edible.

People who get angry at other people for things they would forgive themselves for. I admit that I'm probably guilty of this at times, I'd say most of us are.

Acronyms that are designed with the short-form in mind, resulting in a full name that sounds ridiculous.

Forgetting most of my pet peeves when this topic comes up.

Raistlin1040
2009-04-19, 06:34 PM
People who say that George Harrison and Ringo Starr weren't good musicians
People who don't know the difference between Pop music and Bubblegum music
People who sample good music in bad music
People who spam their entire contacts list to champion a cause that a good portion of that list is directly opposed to
People who call Sammy Hagar-era Van Halen 'Van Hagar'
People who use the word 'guestimate'
People who think excessive profanity equals comedy
People who call themselves fans of something with having only heard one song/seen one episode
People who use excessive chatspeak. Some things, like lol and brb are fine, but there's no excuse for using 'c' instead of 'see' and 'u' for 'you'
People who don't their facts correctly
Just people in general, really
When GITP eats my posts

Trog
2009-04-19, 08:07 PM
I dislike people who bring their small children to R-rated movies
This.

I went to one film and there was a mom, her teen-aged son (who probably was the one who really wanted to see the movie in the first place) and her 6 year old kid. Cue the gore and the mom refusing to look at the screen and covering her own face because she was so shocked by what was on screen yet having no presence of mind to cover her 6 year old son's. :smallfurious:

evisiron
2009-04-19, 08:38 PM
First off - more support against People Who Force Their Beliefs On Others. Especially the likes of Creationists wanting it taught with equal weight as actual science. :smallmad:
Actually I might be a little less annoyed if every religious take on the world was taught instead of just one.

Hmm, what else...
---Unnecessary social drama and the people who create it. Double that for people who try to suck other people into it.
---Cheaters. Especially those that get away with it and are smug about it. :smallfurious:
---Unnecessary administration stuff, especially forms. American Visas are a prime culprit.
---Those that endanger others through their own lack of responsibility, such as drunk drivers.

Many more of course, but those are the ones that jumped to mind at 2:38am. :smallsmile:

Trizap
2009-04-19, 09:04 PM
idiots. nuff said.

moral guardians, I don't care if you think some piece of art "offensive" or "satanic" or "bad for children" I mean if you think that, DON'T LET THOSE CHILDREN SEE THOSE PIECE'S OF ART, instead of trying to force everyone to censor or cover it up! that and children are going to be exposed to those things eventually, they are not going to be innocent flowers forever!

turning any book into a movie, I mean really, everyone knows that books turned into movies are HORRIBLE. why do you keep doing that!? its going to be horrible,
you know it, why do you fracking do it!? AAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!

motormouths. stop fracking talking!

know-it-alls. don't care if you have read a bunch of encyclopedias and dictionaries, shut up, your not omniscient

hypocrites. nuff said.

PETA. nuff said.

reality shows, american idol, america's got talent, dr.phil, oprah, pretty much 90% of television, not counting anime.

hollywood. nuff said.

people who think popular= good. really, who cares?

oh yeah. Tv News in general.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-04-19, 09:40 PM
turning any book into a movie, I mean really, everyone knows that books turned into movies are HORRIBLE. why do you keep doing that!? its going to be horrible,
you know it, why do you fracking do it!? AAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!

The last movie I saw based on a book was Stardust, and I actually preferred it to the book. I'm a considerable fan of Neil Gaiman, so I'm biased in the opposite direction.

adanedhel9
2009-04-19, 10:22 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again - I abhor the use of "needless to say" to start a sentence. If you don't need to say it, then why do you say it? If you do feel the need to say it, then why prefix the sentence otherwise?

I also despise the use of "foreign" and "independent" (and to a lesser extent, "animated"/"anime") as genres - neither tells me anything significant about the work. So, because the movie was made in France by a no-name producer means it's not a romance? :smallconfused: Huh?

Halna LeGavilk
2009-04-19, 10:39 PM
Pet peeves.

Seriously.

People who put seriously after things.

Kroy
2009-04-19, 11:08 PM
People who use 1337 in real life.

Vella_Malachite
2009-04-22, 07:19 AM
- Incorrect comma use. Honestly, out of all grammar mistakes, it annoys me the most. Mind you, my Bio teacher using "hypotheses" as the singular form of the noun drove me up the wall today...
- Random people from the popular group asking how my day was/holidays were etc. I can never be certain whether they actually care or whether everything I say will be twisted into some joke later.
- People who can't tell when I want to stop talking to them. As a relatively unassertive person, I can't just tell peeople to stop talking, but some people can't take a hint.
- My own failings. I know I take it too far, but I hate not living up to my own standards.

WalkingTarget
2009-04-22, 12:36 PM
Using "u" and "r" for "you" and "are" (or the dreaded "ur" for "you're" or even "your" :smallfurious:) unless it's on those little chalky candy hearts.

Those little chalky candy hearts. They're just not very tasty.

Over-use of the phrase "the fact of the matter is..." or equivalents. It's a shame that simple, declarative statements can't seem to stand on their own anymore without empty phrases like this propping them up.

GoC
2009-04-22, 01:48 PM
I've remembered some more of mine.

"TLDR"
"Everyone is entitled to their opinion."
"New and Improved" (I mean, how is it both?)
Serving Suggestions.
People who confuse Vulgarity with Witt.
People who can't use Irony, but try anyway.
Slash fic.
Fanboyism.
Monopoly.
Monopolies.
The above are also pet peeves of mine.

I also hate:
Laws that restrict actions that do not endanger others. If I don't want to wear a seatbelt I shouldn't have to. I'm not endangering anyone except myself. If I want to smoke crack then let me. If I want to kill myself then let me.
Laws that are made for companies instead of the population as a whole.
Laws made without sufficient thought.
Moral guardians.
Stalkers.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-22, 02:28 PM
Top o' the list (those who know me know this comes as no surprise): anyone asking "so when are you going to have kids?" At best, the question is rude, at worst, it's downright hurtful. Don't ask it. Period. I don't care who you are: mom, dad, grandfather, best friend, aunt, or complete and total stranger, don't ask it.

Rest of the list:

Apologists: you're just making excuses, not helping. Incidentally, this is why I actually enjoy Kill Bill 2. It was the start of the chain of movies that finally made it ok to not like Tarantino without be assaulted by his apologists.

"Look happy!": this covers everything from "you don't smile often enough!" to assuming that just because people are quiet, they're depressed. There are quiet, shy, and introverted people in the world and the last thing many of them want is to be berated into "looking happy."

People that hover: these are the folks that will hover around you, if not actually standing behind you, whenever you're doing something. The guy that insists on being right there whenever you're in front of the computer, for instance.

"Come out and party with us!": You all know them. Their idea of a good time is hitting the town: bars, parties, whatever. Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself, but they also think that anyone that doesn't share their view of a good time is boring and needs their help to "lighten up." Lost friends over this one.

Missed one:

"I'm teasing/It was a joke": No, you were being insulting. Just because you say those words after mocking someone doesn't make it ok.

valadil
2009-04-22, 02:39 PM
I'll one up you on that. Restaurants where there's a separate Drinks Menu. And a Desserts Menu. And a Wine List (though this one is semi-justified). Was it too hard to put all the menus in one convenient package!? :smallmad:

Drinks or desserts menus with no prices.
People who shortchange restaraunt bills and tips.
People who need to be in the spotlight all the time.
Internet memes. They've almost made me quit reddit.
Homophobic language.
Nautical stars and other copy/paste tattoos.
Making a reference instead of a joke. Just because you quoted Monty Python doesn't mean you're funny like Monty Python.
People who talk loudly on the bus or train, especially on cellphones.
Quotation marks for "emphasis."
People who prefer to not have to think.

Halna LeGavilk
2009-04-22, 05:04 PM
Eh. I'll do a list of things that actually are my pet peeves since no one liked my jokes...:smallfrown:

People who do not tell you what NOT to say to them and then get mad when you say it.

People who tell the same jokes... every single day for a month.

People who continually talk about movies, shows and books I haven't read, around me. If it's in a group, I'm fine listening, but when it's one person who expects feedback....ugh.

Hell Puppi
2009-04-22, 05:51 PM
- Servants of the Drama Llama (a.k.a people whose lives always seem to be in a state of constant chaos that they create themselves).

-Not knowing the right word/phrase I want to use when typing a sentence

-When GiTP is slow and I'm afraid of double-posting and it ends up that I've never posted at all.

- People who think that because you're a vegetarian, you will have certain views on things.
-Bonus points if they mock you for the views they think you hold
- x2 if they make a joke about how delicious meat is because they think this will rile you up
- x3 for the phrase "for every animal you don't eat....". Yes, I've heard it, thank you.

-Not knowing how to punctuate properly when writing ( I mean that I don't know how to, and it bugs me. I'm afraid of using too many or too little commas most of the time.)

- My school. I swear if it was a person I would punch it in the face. [stops before page-long rant ensues]

Pyrian
2009-04-22, 06:17 PM
Just because you quoted Monty Python doesn't mean you're funny like Monty Python.You should seriously print that quote on a T-shirt and sell it. :smallcool:

snoopy13a
2009-04-22, 07:14 PM
Making a reference instead of a joke. Just because you quoted Monty Python doesn't mean you're funny like Monty Python.

I've never watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail but I think I have the entire dialogue memorized simply from people quoting lines.

GoC
2009-04-22, 07:25 PM
Because I can't hel butp criticize others pet peeves:

snip
To be fair these are all perfectly acceptable to 99% of (western) society.
You shouldn't get pissed off if someone who doesn't know you commits one of these crimes.

Homophobic language.
Such as ***?
I personally think the world could do with a bit less political correctness and people should "lighten up".:smallsmile:

Narkis
2009-04-22, 08:06 PM
People who use 1337 in real life.

This.

Using "u" and "r" for "you" and "are" (or the dreaded "ur" for "you're" or even "your" :smallfurious:) unless it's on those little chalky candy hearts.

And this.

And people who abuse science. No, I'm not talking about Brainiac. I'm talking about truthers, conspiracy theorists, and those who say "it's just a theory". I can't stand those people.

Linkavitch
2009-04-22, 08:21 PM
People using bad grammar. Like using the word 'seen' instead of 'saw'.

I seen a friend of mine the other day. Or whatever.

And people asking you for a quarter of an hour to help them scare somebody by yelling into a wireless mike in the sound booth at my youth group.

Logalmier
2009-04-22, 08:59 PM
PETA. The bastards.

Parents who encourage negative behavior. 'Twas driving my 9 year old brother to a movie. When we got out of the theater there were containers where you could put your 3D glasses in (the movie was in 3D. It gave me a killer headache.) So we were walking to the car and I saw these kids out on the street still wearing their 3D glasses. And it's not like their mom wasn't right there watching them. Taking the theaters property aside, I'm sure it was a great idea to be running around in the street wearing glasses that blur your vision.:smallannoyed:

Lupy
2009-04-22, 09:07 PM
First off - more support against People Who Force Their Beliefs On Others. Especially the likes of Creationists wanting it taught with equal weight as actual science. :smallmad:

So you want to force Evolution on them?

Anyway, people who tell jokes they don't understand, because they think it will help them "get it." Why not just ask!?!

People who say Wikipedia is inaccurate because anyone can edit it. :smallannoyed:

People who use a product because of the brand instead of the quality come to mind.

People who talk about considering everyone's opinion and what not, and then getting mad at anyone who feels differently than them and tries to talk.

I went to one film and there was a mom, her teen-aged son (who probably was the one who really wanted to see the movie in the first place) and her 6 year old kid. Cue the gore and the mom refusing to look at the screen and covering her own face because she was so shocked by what was on screen yet having no presence of mind to cover her 6 year old son's.

I know! Do these people not know what ratings are?!?

rankrath
2009-04-22, 09:18 PM
1: People who equate hunting with murder/torture/hating animals. No lady, I'm not out there shooting Bambi, deer are like rats with hooves.

2: People who think airsoft guns can be converted into real guns.

3: The use of gay to mean stupid, though that would more count as a berserk button for me. :smallfurious:

Lupy
2009-04-22, 09:25 PM
2: People who think airsoft guns can be converted into real guns.

How did I forget this?

I hate people who say "They shouldn't sell those, you can kill people with them."

Kneenibble
2009-04-22, 09:34 PM
Such as ***?
I personally think the world could do with a bit less political correctness and people should "lighten up".:smallsmile:

Buddy,
To refrain from using that word has about as much to do with political correctness as it does to refrain from using a certain word beginning with N. I'm sure you wouldn't tell anybody offended by dropping that bomb to "lighten up," and it's as equally hateful and loaded.

Glad we had this chat.

B-Man
2009-04-22, 09:40 PM
Oh! I thought of more pet peeves of mine!

People who use wallpapers on their desktops that are not the same ratio as the screen and have it stretched. It annoys me to no end.
Similarly, I hate seeing a tiled desktop too for some reason.
People who complain that people are going too slow even though the car ahead is doing the speed limit.
Drivers that seem want to run over pedestrians that are in the right of way. I've not experienced an attempted running over since moving to Nova Scotia but that taint is still there.
People who use the phrase "in conclusion" to conclude a paper, speech, or argument.
People who jangle their keys longer than they should when they're unlocking a door.
People who do not listen to a single word I say then later turn around and say I was right. Is it because I'm "inexperienced" as an adult or what?
People who go out of their way to try to disprove something I've said. I'm human and fallible. I don't care that I was disproven. Get over it and grow up.
The use of the -yze ending over -yse in the words such as "paralyse" or "analyse".
People who think you must drink in order to have a good time and expect me to partake in such events. :smallannoyed:
The political correctness of certain holidays.

Copacetic
2009-04-22, 09:40 PM
I also hate:
Laws that restrict actions that do not endanger others. If I don't want to wear a seatbelt I shouldn't have to. I'm not endangering anyone except myself.

I disagree. From a physical standpoint, you are rather heavy, and when your corpse comes hurtling into the other person's car if you crash, You could kill someone. I'm not saying this is likely, but do you have the right to endanger other people by not doing a simple task to protect your own life.

You are also encouraging other people to do the same. Small children follow what adults do blindly. And when little Susie's mom gets into a fender-bender, and Susie breaks her neck because she thought all cool people don't wear seat belts, what then?

If I want to smoke crack then let me.

You can't be serious. You are actually in support of letting people their lives and destroying everything around them? These laws were put into place for a reason.

If I want to kill myself then let me.

No. Someone cares about you, and you shouldn't be entitled to emotionally damage them.

On my list of pet peeves:

Hypocrites
People who avoid facing consequences of their actions.
People who use their position as an excuse to do whatever they want.

Coplantor
2009-04-22, 10:18 PM
You know what really bothers me? People who refuse to see the world. Those who live on a tiny bubble, but yet they believe they already know everything they got to know.

On a similar topic, people who doubts of the quality of a movie, TV show, book, etc... because of silly details like country of origin* and the date it was done. It happens to me that most people around me use completly oppose standards for books and mobies, if it is a book then it must be old to be good, if it is a movie then it must be new to be good, I know a lot of people who refuse to see the monty python movies because they are old and british, but hey! Look! A romantic comedy with Jennifer Lopez! It must be hilarious! (I hate monster in law, stupid, stupid movie).

*There's this wonderful movie called "El Milagro de P.Tinto", it is great, a masterpiece of moern spanish filming and an excellent comedy, I was recomending it to a friend, she was intrested untill I mentioned it was done in spain, the most accurate translation of what she said would be "Spanish movies are crap".

Kids with no imagination and parents that wont see that as a problem. And even worst, kids that are just mini adults, heck, I'm 20, but if I could I would be a kid for all my life, seriously, why some parents want to destroy the creativity of their kids?

I have no actual problem with Harry Potter, but when people compares it to things like the Lord of the Rings or even the all time classics like Don Quixote, I just... GHAAA!!!

Fat kids, and not those that are fat because of genetics, I'm talking about parents that let their kids eat whatever they want whenever they want.

People who are false about what they say and what they think, bonus hate points for those who act as if their were your friends when not only they are not, but they also speak bad of you when you are not there.

That's my first list, please forgive me for the myriad of grammar mostrosities.

Hell Puppi
2009-04-22, 10:30 PM
Buddy,
To refrain from using that word has about as much to do with political correctness as it does to refrain from using a certain word beginning with N. I'm sure you wouldn't tell anybody offended by dropping that bomb to "lighten up," and it's as equally hateful and loaded.

Glad we had this chat.

Great, you are forever going to have the voice of an Italian mobster in my mind.

You are also correct, sir.

Boo
2009-04-22, 11:20 PM
English teachers whom are poor writers. I mean that in terms of both spelling and grammar, and creativity.

Fried icecream that leaks.

Cowlick in the morning.

People who get angry at me for not getting a reference/joke of something I've never heard of.

mikej
2009-04-23, 02:38 AM
People that eat with thier mouths open.
Marth, Super Smash Brother Melee/Brawl
Taking stuff without asking, I ration out stuff for a reason.
Facebook

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-23, 07:31 AM
Because I can't hel butp criticize others pet peeves:
To be fair these are all perfectly acceptable to 99% of (western) society.
You shouldn't get pissed off if someone who doesn't know you commits one of these crimes.

What western society are you from?

Hover over someone's shoulder for awhile when they're working sometime, see if they don't eventually tell you to go away. Violation of personal space.

If you're arrogant enough to believe that my personal life/love life is any of your business, then you deserve whatever caustic or sarcastic answer you get. The fact that such a question is considered socially acceptable doesn't help, it only makes it worse.

WalkingTarget
2009-04-23, 09:24 AM
Thought of another one.

People who treat traffic/driving as if it were a contest. On the highway these are usually people who speed up when I'm trying to merge into their lane. On smaller roads it's people who pass me (I'm generally traveling at the speed limit) but then immediately have to slow down to make a turn. Seriously, all you're doing is forcing me to slow down. You have to brake soon anyway, why couldn't you just do so 5 seconds earlier and stay behind me?

GoC
2009-04-23, 09:25 AM
Spoilered response to Azure Butterfly. I want to miniminize disruption on this thread while still keeping the conversation available if someone wants to read it.

I disagree. From a physical standpoint, you are rather heavy, and when your corpse comes hurtling into the other person's car if you crash, You could kill someone. I'm not saying this is likely, but do you have the right to endanger other people by not doing a simple task to protect your own life.
Sufficiently unlikely that it can be discounted. It probably increases death rates less than switching from a bus to a car.

You are also encouraging other people to do the same. Small children follow what adults do blindly. And when little Susie's mom gets into a fender-bender, and Susie breaks her neck because she thought all cool people don't wear seat belts, what then?
Explain it to them, children are a lot more intelligent than you realize.

You can't be serious. You are actually in support of letting people their lives and destroying everything around them? These laws were put into place for a reason.
We let people use cigarettes and alcohol don't we? And according to the wiki those are actually more dangerous than crack.

No. Someone cares about you, and you shouldn't be entitled to emotionally damage them.
So you're saying people don't have a right to do what the want with their lives?:smallconfused:
I think we have a fundamental difference here.

Buddy,

Glad we had this chat.

Reply:
To tell the truth I wouldn't see anything wrong with that. But then again I'm not from the US, I'm culturally from a third world country that's slightly westernized. The word doesn't have such deadly implications there due to the different history and culture. It's not loaded there.
Reply to Cristo Meyers:

What western society are you from?
Well... um...:smallredface::smallredface::smallredface:
Technically I'm from a pseudo-western society (upper-middle class Colombia, yeah, different cultures according to social status) but I've also been living in the UK for almost a year...

Hover over someone's shoulder for awhile when they're working sometime, see if they don't eventually tell you to go away. Violation of personal space.
Point. I've discovered that here in the UK people get really ticked off about that...

If you're arrogant enough to believe that my personal life/love life is any of your business, then you deserve whatever caustic or sarcastic answer you get.
I thought we were talking about friends here? Presumably if they are friends then your personal life is their business (by definition).:smallconfused:

I suppose I know less about western society than I thought...
In Colombia it would be considered impolite NOT to ask personal questions if you're a friend.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-23, 09:32 AM
Reply to Cristo Meyers:
Well... um...:smallredface::smallredface::smallredface:
Technically I'm from a pseudo-western society (upper-middle class Colombia, yeah, different cultures according to social status) but I've also been living in the UK for almost a year...

Point. I've discovered that here in the UK people get really ticked off about that...

Largely the same way here.

I thought we were talking about friends here? Presumably if they are friends then your personal life is their business (by definition).:smallconfused:

Friends, family, anyone, really. Whether or not someone wants to have kids or plans to have kids is no one's business but their own.

I suppose I know less about western society than I thought...
In Colombia it would be considered impolite NOT to ask personal questions if you're a friend.

Some questions are more personal than others, and this particular question can be particularly hurtful, to boot. Imagine if the person asked couldn't have kids?

Thought of another one.

People who treat traffic/driving as if it were a contest. On the highway these are usually people who speed up when I'm trying to merge into their lane. On smaller roads it's people who pass me (I'm generally traveling at the speed limit) but then immediately have to slow down to make a turn. Seriously, all you're doing is forcing me to slow down. You have to brake soon anyway, why couldn't you just do so 5 seconds earlier and stay behind me?

Addendum: getting stuck behind a tractor on those small roads.

GoC
2009-04-23, 10:54 AM
Friends, family, anyone, really. Whether or not someone wants to have kids or plans to have kids is no one's business but their own.

I guess I need to improve my understanding of western culture then....

WalkingTarget
2009-04-23, 11:10 AM
Addendum: getting stuck behind a tractor on those small roads.

Heh, having grown up on a farm, that's less annoying for me. Getting stuck behind one when you're in a hurry isn't fun, but it's not like I blame the farmer. Hell, most of the time, if it's possible the guy in the tractor will try to get over somewhat to make passing easier (at least, that's my experience).

valadil
2009-04-23, 01:16 PM
You should seriously print that quote on a T-shirt and sell it. :smallcool:

I'd rather tattoo it on my fist and punch people with it.

Such as ***?

Such as gay or *** as an insult, especially for something that isn't sexual. I mostly hear that sort of thing online and it really pisses me off. And for the record I'm not the overly PC type - I guess this is an exception. Well, I could live with *** if it was used like the N word where it's one of the worst words you can invoke, but has a very specific meaning. I don't like that it's become part of the language to the extent that people using it aren't even aware that it's putting down homosexuals.

Boo
2009-04-23, 02:10 PM
Such as gay or *** as an insult, especially for something that isn't sexual. I mostly hear that sort of thing online and it really pisses me off. And for the record I'm not the overly PC type - I guess this is an exception. Well, I could live with *** if it was used like the N word where it's one of the worst words you can invoke, but has a very specific meaning. I don't like that it's become part of the language to the extent that people using it aren't even aware that it's putting down homosexuals.

>> I use that term when I RP a gentleman of the 19th century. Of course, when I say it, I'm referring to a cigarette.

Otherwise I don't use it.

The "N word"... I've heard it so many times in real life I could have been living in a modern day ghetto. The only time I thought it was funny was when I was in grade eight, and two friends of mine called each other names that were commonly used for their own skin colour. So one, who is black, called the other, who is white, the "N word". The white guy called the black guy "Cracker". The teachers even thought this was fine, since no one was getting harassed, nor feeling harassed.

Speaking of grade eight...

Stupid people who think the air that we commonly breathe comes from containers for compressed gases. A girl in my class thought this. She still passed.

TheThan
2009-04-23, 02:25 PM
People who don’t announce themselves on the phone
People who think popular things are better.
People who think unpopular things are better
The French
People with baseless opinions. Please if your going to have an opinion that’s great, but care enough about it to have evidence supporting your claims.
People who think your weird/stupid for not liking the things they like.
People who think X is the greatest form of entertainment ever. Everyone has different tastes on entertainment.
People who think Jiu Jitsu/ MMA is the best martial art in the world. It’s not the martial art that’s great. It’s the martial artists that are great.
People who think Kung Fu is the best martial art in the world. See above
People who think “NEW” is always better
people who think change is always better
The sheep of the world, You know, the sort of people that follow blindly and never stop to think for themselves
Tattoos and facial piercing. It doesn’t make you look beautiful, it just distracts from any beauty you might already have.
Posers. You know the white guy with the sideways baseball hat, the bling and the “gangsta” clothing. You’re just giving the rest of us white guys a bad rap.
People who think everything in life should be fair, well I’ve got news, life isn’t fair. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
People who avoid consequences for their actions/blame other people for their mistakes
parents who push their children far too hard, its one thing to want your kids to succeed, its another to try to make up for their own inadequacies/relive their childhood through their children
people who think children are stupid.
fancy sports cars parked in the handicapped stall. I live with someone that’s disabled and this is totally not cool.

ok I think I’m done venting for now.

Athaniar
2009-04-23, 03:24 PM
"Chatspeak", most specifically the use of "u" instead of "you"

Bad grammar in general, YouTube users being the worst offenders

People thinking Pestilence is one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

The Frankenstein/monster thing

People who won't roleplay on roleplaying realms in World of Warcraft

Gold Sellers and scammers in general

People thinking KotOR 2 is a good game

People thinking Catwoman is a bad movie

Dreams I can't remember but still know that I'd like to remember

Bad spinoffs to good shows (Torchwood, Atlantis, Crusade...)

People who don't do the research and complain about things (anti-D&D "it's suicide and Satanism!" people, Jack Thompson...)

Mindless violence (both in reality and fiction)

People who don't think Vanilla Coke is the greatest drink ever created

Pet peeves I can't recall and have to edit in later

That Peter Jackson though Sauron was a giant eye, and that nobody objected to it

Smokers

Racists

When my digital video recorder/satellite receiver fails to record a program for absolutely no reason

Related to the above, when I miss an episode of a TV series with a coherent plot

People who actually think their real-life alignment is LE/NE/CE

Most kinds of “metal” music

When a song I don't like wins the ESC (like last year)

(Excessive use of) swear words

rankrath
2009-04-23, 03:25 PM
[list]
The French
People with baseless opinions. Please if your going to have an opinion that’s great, but care enough about it to have evidence supporting your claims..

double standard much? :smallwink:

Sneak
2009-04-23, 04:10 PM
"Wierd."

That one is probably my biggest pet peeve. GAH!

Graymayre
2009-04-23, 04:14 PM
Youtube Comments. They make me want to vomit up my grammar organ

Anonomuss
2009-04-23, 04:15 PM
[removed-Contained Political/Religious Views]

Lupy
2009-04-23, 10:19 PM
People who think that equality means that I can't work harder and expect more reward.

People who think racism can only affect minorities.

People who say things that are offensive, and then argue that you're being over sensitive. Maybe I was, but I was still offended! :smallmad:

People who say things and then cannot support them with facts or a well thought out opinion/theory.

Coplantor
2009-04-23, 10:57 PM
People who after reading a twenty pages booklet about a topic consider themselves experts on the subject, and will argue with you, using some of the most stupid arguments they can come up, and once they realize they are loosing they say either A, B or C.

A) "What you just said was stupid"

B) "Those are two completly different things" (This argment never works against them though)

C)"That's just your opinion" (Yes indeed it is, that's why I back it up with arguments, and just because I believe in what I say it doesnt make my arguments any less valuable)

Alteran
2009-04-23, 11:11 PM
Bad spinoffs to good shows (Torchwood, Atlantis, Crusade...)

Atlantis was a very good show! Not as good as SG-1, I concede, but still very good. I have a feeling SG-1 would have become stale if they kept going with it, so it was nice to see something quite different. I only hope the next Stargate show (Stargate Universe) is also good.

People who don't think Vanilla Coke is the greatest drink ever created

Okay, yes. Vanilla Coke was amazing, I was very sad when I learned that they were no longer making it.

TimelordSimone
2009-04-23, 11:12 PM
Misuse of the word literally.
"It's literally raining cats and dogs."
No. No it is not.

Prefacing offensive statements with "No offence, but..."
That's not gonna stop me being offended.

Customers that think the customer is always right.
Especially when they are WRONG.

When people find out I'm gay, and that's all they can talk to me about for weeks. (Quick tip: if you rephrase the question to yourself, about your heterosexuality, and it sounds ridiculous, chances are I'm going to think it's a ridiculous question when addressed to me.)

People who show no respect or civility to me, but then complain about 'young people today' when I don't go out of my way to be nice to them.

EDIT: Ooh, also...
People who tell me they are also Harry Potter fans, who have never read the books.
No. The films are awful. Your opinion is invalid. Get out.

Retail staff who don't even try and disguise the fact that they hate their job, and they hate you for making them have to do work.

~*~

Huh. I was originally just gonna post the gripe about the word literally.

TimelordSimone
2009-04-23, 11:19 PM
People who won't roleplay on roleplaying realms in World of Warcraft

Merciful Zeus yes.

The first ever person who talked to me on WoW said this:

"IM HORDE"
"BUT MY TROLL IS ONLY LVL 10"

(Yes, it was an alliance character.)

reorith
2009-04-24, 01:26 AM
Prefacing offensive statements with "No offence, but..."
That's not gonna stop me being offended.
i love saying "no offense but..." and following it up with something either innocuous "no offense but i think you're a pretty cool guy." or something horrible like "no offense but you only think x, y and z because understandably, no one loved you as a child and you're forced to project your inadequacies onto your surrounding environment since you lack any real coping strategies. go live in a cave like the neanderthal you are."

TimelordSimone
2009-04-24, 04:59 AM
i love saying "no offense but..." and following it up with something either innocuous "no offense but i think you're a pretty cool guy." or something horrible like "no offense but you only think x, y and z because understandably, no one loved you as a child and you're forced to project your inadequacies onto your surrounding environment since you lack any real coping strategies. go live in a cave like the neanderthal you are."

See, this is hilarious.
That would amuse me no end.

Dogmantra
2009-04-24, 05:10 AM
People who don't understand Irony.
It's not funny if I have to explain it, but it does get even more Ironical.

Ashen Lilies
2009-04-24, 10:52 AM
Drinks or desserts menus with no prices.
People who shortchange restaraunt bills and tips.
People who need to be in the spotlight all the time.
Internet memes. They've almost made me quit reddit.
Homophobic language.
Nautical stars and other copy/paste tattoos.
People who talk loudly on the bus or train, especially on cellphones.
Quotation marks for "emphasis."
People who prefer to not have to think.

Actually, I'm going to have to dispute you on that. From the stories I've heard, tipping in the States is ridiculous. A tip is just that. A tip. You're already getting a salary. I don't mind giving you a tip for I dunno, doing your job, but when waiters or cab-drivers start swearing at you for not knowing the 'rules of tipping', it starts getting ridiculous. No, scratch that, having any sort of hard percentage as an expected tip is wrong from the start. A tip is an obligation, something you give when you feel your cab-driver/waiter has been courteous/helpful beyond what's expected of him. It shouldn't be mandatory. Then it would be service charge.

People who get angry at me for not getting a reference/joke of something I've never heard of.

:annoyed::mad::furious:

*devolves into inconherent babble of fury and yelling*

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-24, 11:09 AM
Actually, I'm going to have to dispute you on that. From the stories I've heard, tipping in the States is ridiculous. A tip is just that. A tip. You're already getting a salary. I don't mind giving you a tip for I dunno, doing your job, but when waiters or cab-drivers start swearing at you for not knowing the 'rules of tipping', it starts getting ridiculous. No, scratch that, having any sort of hard percentage as an expected tip is wrong from the start. A tip is an obligation, something you give when you feel your cab-driver/waiter has been courteous/helpful beyond what's expected of him. It shouldn't be mandatory. Then it would be service charge.

:annoyed::mad::furious:

*devolves into inconherent babble of fury and yelling*

Actually, most waiters/waitresses have a lower minimum wage precisely because they're supposed to be receiving tips. Working as a cook in a restaurant back home I made around $6/hour. As a server it was closer to $3.25/hr.

Ashen Lilies
2009-04-24, 11:13 AM
That's... that's even more messed up. Now I understand the swearing, but really...

._.

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-24, 11:19 AM
You'd get comped if you didn't make enough in tips to at least bring your hourly wage up to minimum wage, but that also made it more likely that you'd get audited just to make sure you're accurately reporting your tips to the IRS.

Quincunx
2009-04-24, 11:35 AM
Aye. The tipping system isn't as small as a "pet peeve". Too many people are outraged over it.

Airsoft guns are converted into real guns. Retooling factories exist in areas where true guns are illegal but air-powered ones are not. Be peeved that such things occur, but don't be peeved when people tell you it's occurring.

valadil
2009-04-24, 11:43 AM
Actually, I'm going to have to dispute you on that. From the stories I've heard, tipping in the States is ridiculous. A tip is just that. A tip.

I agree in theory, but that's not how it actually works. As others have mentioned, wait staff get paid well below minimum wage because they're expected to make up for it in tips. It's stupid, but I'm not about to screw over the person giving me food because of a dumb system.

Also, I'm totally in favor of bad tips for poor service.

Anyway, my pet peeve was more about people shortchanging, especially on a big group bill, but the tip thing was thrown in along side it.

mangosta71
2009-04-24, 01:33 PM
The big list of things I hate:

- Attention whores (is there anything more pathetic than a guy who's out begging for love and attention)
- People that never shut the **** up
- Bad grammar (the whole point of grammar is to make things clear. If I misunderstand because you screwed up, don't get mad at me.)
- People that want religion that has no scientific basis or backing taught in science classes
- Parents that don't correct their children
- Stupid people being allowed to breed
- People that consider the inability to do simple arithmetic a badge of pride (they get really upset if you ask them if they can read)
- SUVs and the fact that the menus at Sonic have all been raised to their window level so I have to get out of my car so I can see the ********* things
- People that continue to argue after they've been proven wrong
- People that don't take responsibility for their actions
- People that hang on my rear quarter instead of just passing (most often occurs when I'm coming up behind someone else going slower and intend to let the guy pass out of courtesy, though I've stopped doing that so much after seeing just how prevalent this behavior is)
- The paladin code in 2 and 3/3.5
- Suddenlink (a more appropriate name for the company would be Occasionallink)
- The majority of mankind in general
- Unnecessary redundancy (saying "Longcat is long" is not funny. It's just stupid. Any other similar observations are similarly infuriating.)
- People that don't understand sarcasm, irony, etc.
- The lack of common sense in society

I may add to this later. I know you'll all be waiting with bated breath.

Dogmantra
2009-04-24, 01:40 PM
- Unnecessary redundancy (saying "Longcat is long" is not funny. It's just stupid. Any other similar observations are similarly infuriating.)
- People that don't understand sarcasm, irony, etc..
Pet peeve is... pet?

Actually, it's amazing how many pet peeves we share.

Also:
- People who feel the need to get in one parting shot when you've just won an argument with them. It's not clever, and it makes you look like a moron.
- Forgetting what you were going to say
- People who think being a nerd is a bad thing

wadledo
2009-04-24, 02:05 PM
My only true pet peeve, see as how after a while I tend to shrug off the other ones, are people who don't take the four or five seconds necessary to realize that some people don't either care about your opinion or don't know what your opinion is.

Logalmier
2009-04-24, 04:47 PM
- People who feel the need to get in one parting shot when you've just won an argument with them. It's not clever, and it makes you look like a moron.

Yes! I hate it when people constantly feel the need to get the last word in.

B-Man
2009-04-24, 05:11 PM
I should've just started a list in Notepad... I thought of more peeves of mine...:smalleek:

People who confuse luxury with necessity. I hate hearing people say that they need an item when they only really want it.
When my computer doesn't recognise my external hard drive in Windows Explorer but I'm able to listen to my music (which is on said drive). I have other stuff other than music on that thing. ><';
I also hate it when Winamp doesn't find my music directory when I'm staring at it in Windows Explorer. Winfail. :smallsigh:
People who think I'm asking a question because I have a slight Canadian raising in my speech.
People who point out that I say eh a lot when not in jest. Kind of a fine line thing there, but still.
People who think being depressed = suicidal. :smallannoyed:
The $2-15 price difference between the American listed price and the Canadian listed price on books. Especially last year when our dollars were about even currency.
This one was pretty much self-imposed but: I hate when I have to use someone else's computer 'cause it's keyboard layout is not the same as what I'm accustomed to.
The clicking noise in the scollwheel of this mouse. ARGH!

GoC
2009-04-24, 07:28 PM
Respone to Anonomuss:

Do you mind me asking, is it just you have problems with the whole concept of organised society or are you one of those people who cry "Whoo Anarchy" without thinking the whole idea through.
I suppose the lack of question mark here was intentional?

I agree, sure, you want to waste your life, crashing a car, smoking crack. Go ahead, just don't do it in any way that can ruin other people's lives.
Glad we agree.:smallsmile:

Don't drive a car without a seat-belt, because if you crash someone, you will do more damage.
How come? Do you have a study to support that? How large is the damage difference? 0.000001%?

If you do drugs, you can get addicted. How will you feed your habit? What about crime?
People can get addicted to almost anything. Alcohol, chocolate, computer games...
Just because you smoke crack doesn't mean you're going to commit crimes to feed your habbit. Do cigarette smokers hold up stores to buy more?
I know a couple of guys who smoke pot occasionally but I don't know of anyone who smokes cigarattes occasionaly.

Laws exist because these things F*** people up royally.
No. Laws exist to protect people from eachother. NOT to protect people from themselves. Unless they are incapable of taking care of themselves (the retarded, the insane, ect.).

If you don't like the laws somewhere, move. Otherwise, there's systems for changing it. It's not immediate, it takes time, but it's certainly better than a dictatorship or a lawless state.
How? What action could I take to change a law?
Unpopular laws have existed in democratic societies. Laws that most of the population opposes. But they stayed.

It's not that people aren't free to do what they want with their lives, they're just not allowed to do what they want with other people's lives. There's a fundamental difference.
You can do whatever you want, just if it affects someone else, you pay the price, and sometimes that can't help people.
We are agreed then.

What compensation would it be for someone if you crashed into them into your car, paralysing them, to know that you were dead. Or even if you happened to survive, what compensation is money in such a situation?
What does that have to do with seatbelts?:smallconfused:

Oh yeah, I also don't understand why people get offended. I've never got offended at what someone has said to me, it's only when they're saying it to other people about me that I take offence.

Copacetic
2009-04-24, 08:53 PM
Spoilered response to Azure Butterfly. I want to miniminize disruption on this thread while still keeping the conversation available if someone wants to read it.

Sufficiently unlikely that it can be discounted. It probably increases death rates less than switching from a bus to a car.

Explain it to them, children are a lot more intelligent than you realize.

We let people use cigarettes and alcohol don't we? And according to the wiki those are actually more dangerous than crack.

So you're saying people don't have a right to do what the want with their lives?:smallconfused:
I think we have a fundamental difference here.

Children Thrive on imitation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neurons). It's how they learn. Really, Seatbelts are there to save your life. Why you wouldn't want to wear them is beyond me.

We let people smoke Cigarettes and drink alcohol because they aren't as addicting as some of the drugs out there. Sure, a few people become alcoholics. But the crystal meth recover rate? Much, much lower. Really tho, drugs are harmful for you. I still don't know why you would want to use.

People have a right to do what they want with their lives. But that right ends when you start treading on other people, hence why assualt and rape are illegal. Suicide hurts people as well.

Also add: Ants. I hate. Ants.

rankrath
2009-04-24, 09:26 PM
Airsoft guns are converted into real guns. Retooling factories exist in areas where true guns are illegal but air-powered ones are not. Be peeved that such things occur, but don't be peeved when people tell you it's occurring.

Yes, airsoft guns are "converted" into real guns in the same way that you can build a gun from supplies bought a hardware store.

Zocelot
2009-04-24, 09:34 PM
This one is huge, but it needs to be said

I can't stand people who try to convince other people of their opinions without actually listening to arguments against it. This is doubly annoying if their opinion is based on false facts and huge assumptions.

GoC
2009-04-24, 10:50 PM
Children Thrive on imitation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neurons). It's how they learn. Really, Seatbelts are there to save your life. Why you wouldn't want to wear them is beyond me.

We let people smoke Cigarettes and drink alcohol because they aren't as addicting as some of the drugs out there. Sure, a few people become alcoholics. But the crystal meth recover rate? Much, much lower. Really tho, drugs are harmful for you. I still don't know why you would want to use.

People have a right to do what they want with their lives. But that right ends when you start treading on other people, hence why assualt and rape are illegal. Suicide hurts people as well.

True. So it would be irresponsible not do at least one of: wear them when children are present or make sure they've got their seatbelt on before starting.

Turned out I'd gotten crack confused with something else. Here's the graph:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_%28mean _physical_harm_and_mean_dependence%29.svg/380px-Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_%28mean _physical_harm_and_mean_dependence%29.svg.png
A few people may become alcoholics but almost everyone becomes a smoker.
Now that I think about it roughly half of the UK is dependent on alcohol. I don't know anyone here (who hasn't just arrived) who doesn't drink at least once a week.

True. So you should first alienate all your friends and family before commiting suicide. <- completely serious

Ashen Lilies
2009-04-24, 11:25 PM
People who call the transparent liquid in the middle of a young coconut 'coconut milk'. It's called coconut water, or maybe coconut juice if you really want to call that. Coconut milk is a completely different white fluid that goes into curry, and is made by grating the meat of a mature coconut and mixing it with hot water, before removing the solids.

Completely different things. Get it right.

Ashen Lilies
2009-04-25, 03:27 AM
Another one.

People in the OotS Discussion threads who talk about 'Kabuto' or 'Hayley'. Their names are right there in the comic people! You have no excuse!

Boo
2009-04-25, 03:46 AM
The $2-15 price difference between the American listed price and the Canadian listed price on books. Especially last year when our dollars were about even currency.

I hate that! As well as the deals from a Walmart across the border when a Walmart on our side of the fence (not even 30 miles away) has nothing near as cheap! :smallannoyed: It's like they reintroduced tariffs or something.

Oh, and apparently, 'donut' is an acceptable form of spelling in Canada in addition to 'doughnut'. Since Tim Hortons is American owned, guess who's picking which spelling we're using?

@^^: He was taken from us... so I'm going start hunting for him right away.

Anonomuss
2009-04-25, 07:39 AM
Off-Topic, and relating to Political and Religious Views, and so removed.

Gnomish Lab
2009-04-25, 09:20 AM
People who call the transparent liquid in the middle of a young coconut 'coconut milk'. It's called coconut water, or maybe coconut juice if you really want to call that. Coconut milk is a completely different white fluid that goes into curry, and is made by grating the meat of a mature coconut and mixing it with hot water, before removing the solids.

Intersting.
I had no idea ; I will use the correct name from now on.

GoC
2009-04-25, 10:42 PM
Reply to Anonomuss:

The momentum inparted will be the same, just when two cars collide, there's nothing to prevent your accumulated momentum to stop. The car stops suddenly, you will keep going.
The initial impact does a fair amount of damage. (The average car weighs about 1336kgs, moving at a conservative speed of 50km that's about 66800 Newtons, enough force to give an average elephant an acceleration of 11 m/s squared.) An Average person weights roughly 70Kgs, so that's adding an additional impact of 3500 Newtons. An increase of about 19%.

Where the seatbelts are absent, that momentum is applied through the windscreens of the cars, and onto the other driver. Which isn't designed to take that kind of force as easily as a car can.
Going through two windshields? Sounds very unlikely especially with the angled windshields of modern cars (body goes up over the top). Also AFAIK most collisions aren't head-on (though I am by no means on expert).

Even If it was only a marginal chance, who are we to say that that is the difference between life and death? Are you that callous as to say, "Well I saw it coming, but it was only a small chance, why should I have bothered to wear a small strap of material that could have saved that other person's life."
We do risk other people's lives every day in small ways. Like going to work in a car instead of a bus. Or not giving a few dollars to some hapless child in Colombia instead of buying that new car.
I agree the discomfort is minimal but so is the increase in likelyhood of death.

People who get addicted to those things don't usually have the contacts needed to go into crime, but those contacts are implicitly part of doing drugs. It also involves deception to get away from the consequences.
All the more reason to legalize some of them.
I repost this graph because it was probably missed:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_%28mean _physical_harm_and_mean_dependence%29.svg/380px-Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_%28mean _physical_harm_and_mean_dependence%29.svg.png

The law takes a cold view of things such as this. What is the difference between someone who is insane and someone who liberally takes risks with their own and other's lives.
The issua in this case is just how "liberally" they are doing so. Is the increase in lives lost greater than the examples above?

If people are considered a danger to themselves, they are generally also a danger to others, and thus are covered under the law. A person who owns a gun without a lisence in a lonely cottage in the middle of nowhere is still a danger, it dosn't matter whether it's to himself or others.
I'm not quite in agreement with either of these. I give the example of the depressed teenager. I also think it does matter whether it is to himself or others.

The law is just and fair.
:smallyuk:
While that may be true about a particular law this sentence can also mean that the entity known as "the law" is just and fair, which isn't a leap I would make.

In my country, we believe that the law is meant to help those who cannot help themselves. If it meant 'protecting' you then so be it. It says

If you arn't able to protect these things yourself, whether from yourself or others, then the state will take that into its own hands.
You live in Ireland?
A problem with restricting people's freedoms "for their own good" is that it has the potential to go down a very dark path. You might be able to stop at outlawing suicide (though what's the point?) but once you start outlawing drugs where do you stop? Shall we ban mountain climbers? Horse-riding at over 2 mph without a helmet (one of the things I most enjoyed)? Knives in kitchens?
I hate the present safety-obsessed culture that the UK has (and the thousands of regulations that go with it). I think people can cope with a bit of danger, that it adds some excitement to an otherwise boring life.

Why would you object to what you object to and not the detention of the insane? Are they not as right in your eyes to do what they want with themselves?
That is one of those difficult questions with no easy answer. No, this isn't an evasion. It touches on "What is intelligence?" "what does it mean to be sapient?" "what is the meaning of life?" and other such similar questions.

That's not entirely true, they may have been unpopular but they were necessary. Either that, or the majority didn't vote the way they felt. Democracy only works when people stand for what they believe in. You could run for your own political party and if your views were well reasoned and accessible enough then you'd have no problem changing the law.
We need a rollseyes smiley here. There is NO chance whatsoever in a random person running for election in an important post and getting it without some serious backing by the big boys. No matter how well reasoned their arguments.
With the typical western democracy who only have two choices. How can you make your views known on 100 different issues with only two choices? Let's say you hate 50 things about the current government but 25 of those things are things that niether candidate is going to change and as for the other 25... The "change" candidate also has a stance on a very important issue (say abortion) that is opposed to yours.
In fact, if I were a conspiracy theorist I'd say that the two parties can maintain power indefinitely while forwarding their own agendas by finding very divisive and important policies and having one candidate be for it and the other against it. The worst thing is that this conspiracy theory would actually be possible in most governments (not saying it is though).

Add that to the end of what I previously said and it makes sense.
In general, what inconvenience is it to put on a seat belt, when there is the possibility of eliminating the danger to someone else by even a small margin.
It is deemed to be satisfactory to require someone to eliminate this risk as a matter of course, because the inconvenience is disproportionately small when compared to the damage it prevents.
You must multiply the damage by the probability of the damage to get a true assessment. If that probability is under say... 0.000000001% then the small inconvenience outwieghs the large but very improbable damage.
Now does it outwiegh the damage? It might not but what about the helmet-less horse-riding?

Things can also affect people's reputations, and that can affect their lives.
That is the only case where I understand offence.

Sometimes with people's religions or beliefs, something that someone says can be so contrary to the way they feel the world that it upsets them. It doesn't mean they're not right to be offended.
If they have a right to be offended then I have a right to offend (assuming reputation is unaffected). They have no reason for it.

Belief is a very personal thing, and its something that should not be interfered with. Just as you can have your opinion others are entitled to their belief.
You disagree with the concept of education? They are entitled to their belief but they should listen to arguments against that belief.

If you say something that offends someone else, it's not that you're not entitled to say what you've said (Unless it is grossly vulgar or defamatory), but rather that you are attacking something that is central to that person's beliefs, confidence or desires.
If said beliefs and confidence are founded on such shaky faith then why keep them? Why hold on to a belief that has no evidence for it?

Roland St. Jude
2009-04-25, 11:59 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please don't discuss real world religion or politics on this Forum.

UncleWolf
2009-04-26, 12:57 AM

I actually knew that! Go useless trivia! :smallbiggrin:

SDF
2009-04-26, 02:47 AM
People who get addicted to those things don't usually have the contacts needed to go into crime, but those contacts are implicitly part of doing drugs. It also involves deception to get away from the consequences. None of those things have half the withdrawal effects of even the least addictive of the more common accessible drugs.

I don't want to get in the middle of this. (really I don't) I just feel I must speak up when fallacious conventional wisdom is used. (It's one of my pet peeves) Alcohol has the worst withdrawal symptoms of any legal or common street drug. It is one of the few drugs that can kill an addict if he is cut off.

I'm not going to discuss the legality of drugs as per forum rules. I will say that outlawing something doesn't make it inherently bad.

Anonomuss
2009-04-26, 03:48 AM
Apologies for derailing elements of this thread somewhat. I didn't actually know about Alcohol's withdrawl effects.

Perhaps its best just to say, at this point, to each his or her own.

I just wanted to express an opinion, although I'm sorry for picking the wrong place to do so. I'll try not to do so again in future.

Ashen Lilies
2009-04-26, 07:54 AM
I actually knew that! Go useless trivia! :smallbiggrin:

How is it useless?

Krytha
2009-04-26, 09:29 AM
I get annoyed at tons of little things, so Ill just throw out the things I can't tolerate...

-People who eat with their mouths open.
-People who snore.
-Bad grammar / People who can't spell.
-People who smoke / Drunks.
-People who spit.
-All different kinds of annoying people. The list goes on forever..

Kroy
2009-04-27, 03:44 AM
Oh! I thought of more pet peeves of mine!

People who use wallpapers on their desktops that are not the same ratio as the screen and have it stretched. It annoys me to no end.
Similarly, I hate seeing a tiled desktop too for some reason.
People who complain that people are going too slow even though the car ahead is doing the speed limit.
Drivers that seem want to run over pedestrians that are in the right of way. I've not experienced an attempted running over since moving to Nova Scotia but that taint is still there.
People who use the phrase "in conclusion" to conclude a paper, speech, or argument.
People who jangle their keys longer than they should when they're unlocking a door.
People who do not listen to a single word I say then later turn around and say I was right. Is it because I'm "inexperienced" as an adult or what?
People who go out of their way to try to disprove something I've said. I'm human and fallible. I don't care that I was disproven. Get over it and grow up.
The use of the -yze ending over -yse in the words such as "paralyse" or "analyse".
People who think you must drink in order to have a good time and expect me to partake in such events. :smallannoyed:
The political correctness of certain holidays.

Four times in the past week I've had to dive out of cars ways when I'm on the crosswalk, and they have a red light. Same intersection too.

B-Man
2009-05-02, 12:37 AM
Remember I said that I should've started a list in Notepad? I wasn't kidding. Maybe I'm a mite too negative. :smallsigh:
People who call me "sir". I know you're trying to be polite but I'm far too young to be called "sir".
People in clinics, shopping centres, etc, who ask me why I'm not at school during school hours. Um... I'm not 15 despite my looks.
This point was especially bad just before summer when I was doing groceries with my mom and the guy at the register (who barely looked 16 himself) asked if my mom if she was finished getting me ready to go back to school. I was 19 at the time. :smallannoyed:
Not being able to think of a guitar riff to start writing a new song when I want to write a new song.
Or when I think of something to work with when I'm nowhere near a pen and paper or guitar. This is usually when you can see me flailing with an air guitar. :smalleek:
Today's media.
The way that I'm always drawn into a political discussion when I don't want to talk it. Seriously, just because I'm keeping up to date doesn't necessarily mean I want to discuss it all the time.
I hate being the one to finish stuff in the fridge (like finishing the water in the water jug or downing the last milk bag). Maybe it's just me not liking to replace stuff when I'm finished with it. >.>

Evil DM Mark3
2009-05-02, 04:17 AM
Deep frying things that have no right to be deepfired, like Mars Bars or cheesecake.
People who believe in Manifest Destiny (I am aware that this one skirts the rules of the forum and I have NO interest in getting into the semantics of it.) Not because it is still inexplicably US policy but because of all the mindless pomposity, racism and other things that people who believe in it also embrace as an implication.
People who cite TV tropes rather than explaining their argument (use it to support the argument YES, but not in place of the argument.)
Supermarkets and newsagent chains that run books as a loss leader, thus damaging genuine bookshops.

Sorry to stick a belated nose in, but some of these are among my pet peeves:
Sufficiently unlikely that it can be discounted. It probably increases death rates less than switching from a bus to a car.The driver is something like 8 times more likely to die in a minor collision if there is an unsecured person behind him. No wearing a belt puts everyone else in the car in danger.

Explain it to them, children are a lot more intelligent than you realize.I do not want to teach hypocrisy to children.

We let people use cigarettes and alcohol don't we? And according to the wiki those are actually more dangerous than crack.Alcohol and tobacco are endemic in our society and removing them (the logical response if they are indeed more dangerous than Crack Cocaine) would be impossible. Addiction is a dangerous and terrible thing we need to guard against it whenever and wherever we can.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-02, 04:57 AM
My pet peeve

People who think their trival upsets are important to other people.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-05-02, 04:59 AM
My pet peeve

People who think their trival upsets are important to other people.

Is this meant to be a side swipe at this thread?:smallwink:

Oh, that is another one, being unable to tell if there is sarcasm intended in a comment.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-02, 05:05 AM
No it was meant as an honest pet peeve. It goes for complaints from anyone in general

Khanderas
2009-05-04, 03:47 AM
David Letterman. I could fill a page with just the reasons, but let is suffice that mostly his grin and boring outdated jokes, that he gets appauded for in abundance while grinning that stupid monkey grin. (Yes the grin is mentioned twice).

Professional boardmembers who vote to give themselves a 400% bonus, 30% salary increase, while the stock value goes down, moronic choices made, layoffs and paycuts. Why they need (and feel they deserve) a 10th yacht I will never understand. What bugs me even more is that they rarely get fired for gross misconduct and if they do, they get a new job with even better pay within a week.

I got many more naturally, but theese are the ones I need to actually focus on not going berzerk when I talk about them. People who cut in line, drive recklessly for no time gained when they stop at the same traffic light I am.. And all the other usual stuff.

Agamid
2009-05-04, 08:44 PM
people who chew with their mouths open.

people who insist of using information they have been told (by people who would know) is false.

when someone says that they won't try and guilt you into doing something and then lay a HUGE guilt trip on you that will make you seem like a bad person if you don't do what they want.

taking unnecessary time in shopping centres.

people who walk slowly or loiter in large groups that block entire passageways.

anyone who tries to control me.

hardware stores.

clingy people.

Icewalker
2009-05-07, 11:52 PM
I remembered another one of mine!

The phrase 'the end justifies the means' being declared incorrect. Because it is true. People just don't understand what 'the end' is. One must take every aspect of the result into account to see the actual 'end', and the 'means' are irrelevant if the end is a positive one, because anything that the 'means' cause which can be seen as negative must be factored into the 'end'