PDA

View Full Version : [Feat/PrC] Blind / Sister of the Sightless Sun

Fax Celestis
2006-08-12, 01:38 AM
Feat - Blind

Requirements: Blind-Fight, permanently blind

You are blind. You automatically fail vision-based spot checks, vision-based search checks, decipher script checks (except against braille), and forgery checks. Any ranged attack you make is considered to be against total concealment beyond the range of your blindsense. However, your blindness has tuned your other senses, so you receive a +5 disability bonus to listen checks and concentration checks. Finally, you have blindsight to 15', blindsense to 30', and lose any natural vision modifiers you might have had (darkvision, low-light vision, and the like).

Due to your blindness, you are also not subject to gaze attacks, blinding attacks, displacement, invisibility, darkness, blur effects, and any spell (beneficial or otherwise) that affects your vision. You are also immune to illusions that have no auditory component.

Due to your increased aural perception, sonic effects and deafening effects have their save DCs raised by 5 against you, and any sonic effect that deals damage (like a sound burst spell) deals an additional point of damage per die.

If you cast prepared magic, your spellbook and scrolls you use must be embossed or in braille. Add 50g per spell level for this process. If you are literate, you know the braille versions of any languages you can speak (if braille versions exist). Your speed is never reduced due to poor vision conditions.

If you regain your sight, you lose all benefits of this feat.

Prestige Class - Sister of the Sightless Sun
Requirements: Blind, Female, Listen 10 ranks, Dodge, Mobility
HD: d8
{table]
Level BAB Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special

1st +0 +0 +2 +2 Sixth Sense, Uncanny Dodge

2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Blind Adaptation (30', +10), Spring Attack

3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 Fast Movement +10', Acrobatic Charge

4th +3 +1 +4 +4 Evasion

5th +3 +1 +4 +4 Blind Adaptation (60', +15), Bounding Assault

6th +4 +2 +5 +5 Improved Uncanny Dodge, Fast Movement +20'

7th +5 +2 +5 +5 Improved Evasion

8th +6 +2 +6 +6 Blind Adaptation (90', +20) Rapid Blitz

9th +6 +3 +6 +6 Fast Movement +30'

10th +7 +3 +7 +7 Second Sight[/table]

Class Skills (6 + Int): Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (History), Listen, Open Lock, Profession, Survival, Tumble, Use Rope

Sixth Sense: A Sister learns to trust her intuition in combat in place of her vision. She adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her Armor Class while in light or no armor.

Uncanny Dodge: A Sister can react to danger before her senses would normally allow it. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses it if immobilized.

A Sister who already has uncanny dodge from a different class automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Blind Adaptation: At 2nd level, a Sister attunes her senses further to adapt for her blindness. Her blindsight is now effective out to 30', her blindsense to 60', and her disability bonus to listen increases to +10.

At 5th level, her senses adapt further. Her blindsight extends to 60', her blindsense to 90', and her disability bonus to listen increases to +15.

At 8th level, her senses imbprove a final time. Her blindsight extends to 90', her blindsense to 120', and her disability bonus to listen improves to +20.

Spring Attack: At 2nd level, a Sister gains the Spring Attack feat, even if she doesn't qualify for it.

Fast Movement: At 3rd level, a Sister's base land speed increases by 10'. This benefit only applies when the Sister is wearing light or no armor. This improves to 20' at 6th level and 30' at 9th level.

Acrobatic Charge: At 3rd level, a Sister gains the ability to charge in situations where others cannot. She may charge over difficult terrain that normally slows movement. This enables her to run down stairs, leap down from a balcony, or tumble over tables on the way to her target. Depending on the circumstances, she may have to make jump or tumble checks to successfully move over the terrain. This can only be used if the Sister is wearing light or no armor.

Evasion: At 4th level, a Sister can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. This can only be used if the Sister is wearing light or no armor.

Bounding Assault: At 5th level, a Sister gains the Bounding Assault feat, even if she does not normally qualify for it.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: At 6th level, a Sister can no longer be flanked; she can react to opponents on opposite sides of her as easily as she can react to a single attack.

Improved Evasion: At 7th level, a Sister's ability to evade attacks improves. Like before, she takes no damage on a successful save. In addition, she takes only half damage even on a failed save. A helpless Sister does not get the benefits of improved evasion.

Rapid Blitz: At 8th level, a Sister gains the Rapid Blitz feat even if she does not normally qualify for it.

Second Sight: At 10th level, twice per day, a Sister can double her Wisdom bonus to her Armor Class for a number of rounds equal to her Constitution modifier.

[hr]
I was considering entering this into the Summer contest, but I couldn't get it to work with the theme. So, I pared away the Organization bits of it and was left with this: the crunchy.

Blindness is a strange subject within D&D, so this is difficult territory. Tell me how I've done.

Lucid_Archon
2006-08-12, 02:09 AM
This is very well done, although blindness seems odd as a feat.

Requirements: Level 1 or special The only suggestion I can make is to add in what the special requirement is, just to make it more clear.

Elrosth
2006-08-12, 02:12 AM
And just to make it clear, the Blind feat is in regards to gaining skill and understanding into how to do things effectively when you lose access to sight, and not a free feat you gain for poking your eyes out, right?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-12, 02:17 AM
The Blind feat is supposed to represent training to overcome one's natural or imposed blindness, not just because you're suddenly blind.

As for special, it'd basically be the above: training to overcome one's blindness that was caused by something like having them ripped out by a demon.

Fizban
2006-08-12, 06:27 AM
A couple days ago there was a news special thing: apparently some blind people can use a limited echolocation. See stuff like fences, poles. The guy was shooting baskets. Said guy womped the news person at halo. I don't get that. He's blind, and he can play halo.
So, yea, extreme blind PC's FTW!

Elrosth
2006-08-12, 07:45 AM
Oh, man. That's wicked. Even with the echo thing, how would you ping a TV screen? Did they say how he did it?

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-12, 08:35 AM
Why female only?

LordOfNarf
2006-08-12, 10:47 AM
You should remove the female requirement, and make it a brother/sister thing, since few things in dnd are actually moderated by gender.

And, what source are the feats Bounding assualt and rapid blitz from? I don't remember them from any books I own.

InaVegt
2006-08-12, 10:49 AM
You should remove the female requirement, and make it a brother/sister thing, since few things in dnd are actually moderated by gender.There is precedent *points at drow favored classes*

Behold_the_Void
2006-08-12, 07:42 PM
The Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye is from the rogues in Diablo II, I assume, hence the female prerequisite.

Elrosth
2006-08-13, 12:31 AM
And there is precident in real life too. Just look at the Curves gym for women they're building in my neighborhood. :)

Closet_Skeleton
2006-08-13, 06:33 AM
You should remove the female requirement, and make it a brother/sister thing, since few things in dnd are actually moderated by gender.

And, what source are the feats Bounding assualt and rapid blitz from? I don't remember them from any books I own.

There are plenty of female only Prestige Classes.

I was only able to find a single male only Prestige Class.

What is this beacon of manliness you ask?

Eunuch Warlock.

I made a blind Prc once. You should call this feat "Blindness adaption" or something. Then rename that class feature to "Improved Blindness adaption". Blind-fight works in most cases anyway though. You get immunity from gaze effects from being blind, I believe its in the same part of the DMG as shaken and nauseated.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-13, 03:16 PM
Yeah, the "Blind" feat itself really is mostly qualifications and codificatons of actually being blind according to RAW.

However, it does add in some special benefits.

As for Female Only? That's a leftover from when I was making it into an organization (as per the contest). I left it because I thought it appropriate.

storybookknight
2006-08-13, 05:57 PM
Shouldn't you make Blind-Fight a prerequisite for "Blind"? Because it seems to me that there's already a feat representing the ability to fight without knowing where your enemy is...

Fax Celestis
2006-08-13, 06:04 PM
Shouldn't you make Blind-Fight a prerequisite for "Blind"? Because it seems to me that there's already a feat representing the ability to fight without knowing where your enemy is...
Yes, but this represents being blind.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-18, 06:23 PM
Changed reqs on feat.

The_Shaman
2006-08-18, 06:40 PM
Hmm... I can't justify acrobatic charge, to be honest. No matter how good you are, you're not likely to be better at navigating through stuff at high speed than the sighted.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-18, 06:49 PM
Well, what could I replace it with then?

ishi
2006-08-18, 08:57 PM

Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz are from PHII.

I think Acrobatic Charge is a good choice. It's a solid offensive ability in a class otherwise concerned with defense, and does not make any less sense than evasion or fast movement, and it fits in with other mobility/avoidance abilities in the class.

Also: would that Wisdom bonus to AC stack with Monk, or would it be like the Ninja ability, which explicitly does not?