PDA

View Full Version : MK's Scorpian's "Get over here!" attack in 3.5?

MustacheFart
2009-04-20, 09:54 PM
Hey all,

Just as the topic's title says, is it possible to grab an opponent at range and pull him to you? For example, is it possible to "lasso" an enemy with a chain, rope or some similiar weapon of sorts and pull him back to you?

I know you can control an enemy's movement with a net or harpoon (probably other weps too) but it didn't state that you could pull them back to you.

I'm looking for a way to do so without the use of magic or the stand still feat.

Thanks

-MustacheFart

Bluebeard
2009-04-20, 10:21 PM
Not sure if it's RAW, but I'd bet most DMs would let you do it with a harpoon.

I think the Graft Weapon power with an undersized Spiked Chain and Improved Grab would work, but it might cross the line into magic. And a couple parts are a bit iffy.
Fiendform/Polymorph for a Chain Devil with Improved Grab too, but it's a weasel's move and magic again. Maybe as a last resort.

And I'd put money on something in the MIC being usable for this with proper feats.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-20, 10:37 PM
Improved Grab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab)+Bloodstorm Blade 2 seems like the core of something, but unless there is something with, say, Kensai to help, I'm going with Improved Grab+Warshaper+Aberrant Blood+Aberrant Reach+that other reach-boosting feat. Plus, that fits the fluff better.

Talic
2009-04-21, 01:06 AM
There's a weapon that allows something like this. Kuo-tua weapon, I believe. Throws like a harpoon, lodges in, and you can use it similar to a net that's controlled. Target takes damage pulling it out too.

Also, controlling their movement does imply you have control over where they go. That would include "towards you".

bosssmiley
2009-04-21, 07:36 AM
Whip + Grapple check should do it.

Telonius
2009-04-21, 07:54 AM
Seems to me like you could use a Kyton's "Dancing Chains" ability and the "Move" option for Grappling. Use Dancing Chains to attack the character, grappling him. Then, win a grapple check to move the chains at half your speed back towards you. You'd need Haste to do this, since both of those (Dancing Chains and Move in a grapple) require standard actions.

Fishy
2009-04-21, 08:19 AM
Hmmm.

Take Wild Talent to get yourself psionic, then pick up the Illithid Heritage and Illithid Grapple feats from Complete Psionic. Get a Necklace of Natural Attacks and enchant it appropriately, and you now have a +1 throwing returning tongue, which can Improved Grab people into your square. That's not even close to 'Without Magic', but it's a grand image.

If you're willing to do Exotic Weapons, there's the Mancatcher from Complete Warrior, and the Pincer Staff from Underdark, which are both 10' reach weapons that can start grapples. Then you can make Grapple checks to pull people around, as usual.

Darrin
2009-04-21, 08:43 AM
I'm looking for a way to do so without the use of magic or the stand still feat.

You might want to take a look at this idea from Faleldir:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108272

Thunderous Throw + Pushback would allow you to bull rush an opponent at range, and you then move into the square they vacated.

You could probably do something similar with Clever Positioning, a Setting Sun strike that allows you to swap positions with an opponent if they fail a Ref save.

Otherwise... I'd probably look at some variation on Reach + Improved Grab to start a grapple, and then using using the "move" option to move my opponent closer to me... but don't I enter his square when I start the grapple? I don't know if figuring out how that works would be worth the migraines.

The various throws in Setting Sun might also be worth a look. Although most of them say you have to throw your opponent "away" from you, Devastating Throw allows you to place them in any empty square within a certain range of you, which would include an adjacent square.

Faleldir
2009-04-21, 09:10 AM
Hooray, I'm useful!

The opposite is also possible: Thunderous Throw + Great Throw* allows you to make a trip attack, pull the opponent into any square you threaten, and deal normal damage. I don't recommend it because it has a ton of prerequisites and only works with unarmed strikes.

*It's from Oriental Adventures, but don't bother looking it up, as the feat itself is a ninja.

MustacheFart
2009-04-21, 11:04 AM
There's a weapon that allows something like this. Kuo-tua weapon, I believe. Throws like a harpoon, lodges in, and you can use it similar to a net that's controlled. Target takes damage pulling it out too.

Also, controlling their movement does imply you have control over where they go. That would include "towards you".

Well, the thing is, in the description for the Net and the Harpoon it does NOT say you control their movement. It says:

If you control the trailing rope by succeeding on an opposed Strength check while holding it, the entangled creature can move only within the limits that the rope allows. If the entangled creature attempts to cast a spell, it must make a DC 15 Concentration check or be unable to cast the spell.

However, since you have to succeed on a strength check I guess it is completely fair to say that you pull the rope in; therefore, the limit that the rope allows is 5 feet away from you.

I really like the tongue idea mentioned! In fact it would totally fit my character idea. Basically, I am playing a Drow who is going to be pretending he is some Aquatic race. Since I plan to scare the bejesus out of my enemies, I would really like a way to "yank" them back to me.

Any ways to do this with maybe a graft?

The_Snark
2009-04-21, 05:10 PM
There's a graft from Magic of Eberron that does something like that: the Grappling Vine, which lets you shoot a vine out from your arm to grapple people. It has a range of ten feet, uses your grapple modifier (but counts as having Improved Grapple, so +4 to grapple checks), and on a success both constricts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#constrict) and pulls them into your square. Not a bad ability at all for a grappling character, and it only costs 7,000 gold and 4 hit points.

The only flaws that I can see are that it isn't a tongue (your DM might be willing to let you change the flavor around), and that it only has a ten-foot range. Not sure if there's any way to improve that.

MustacheFart
2009-04-22, 11:37 PM
There's a graft from Magic of Eberron that does something like that: the Grappling Vine, which lets you shoot a vine out from your arm to grapple people. It has a range of ten feet, uses your grapple modifier (but counts as having Improved Grapple, so +4 to grapple checks), and on a success both constricts (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#constrict) and pulls them into your square. Not a bad ability at all for a grappling character, and it only costs 7,000 gold and 4 hit points.

The only flaws that I can see are that it isn't a tongue (your DM might be willing to let you change the flavor around), and that it only has a ten-foot range. Not sure if there's any way to improve that.

I just checked that out. It does say it looks more like flesh than a plant due to the veins and such.

My question is, if say I got perma enlarged making me a Large character, would that mean with the vine I'd have a 15' reach? Also if I successfully grabbed someone with it and pulled them in, would they provoke an AoO from me?

I mean it says, I don't actually use my hand. I could see yanking someone in, only to slice their head off with my scythe.