PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PrC] The Stealth Archer

Zerg Cookie
2009-04-20, 11:13 PM
First of all, let me say that it is my first attempt at creating a PrC, so please don't kill me right away.

Stealth Archer
Hit Die
d6
Requirements
To qualify to become a Stealth Archer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Skills
Hide 8 ranks, Move Silently 8 ranks.
Feats
Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Weapon Proficiency
Shortbow or longbow
Class Skills
The Stealth Archer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand(Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level
4 + Int modifier.
Table: The Stealth Archer
{table]Level| BaB| AS BaB| Fort save| Ref save| Will save| Special
1st| +0| +1| +0| +2| +0| Sneak attack +1d6, Arrows storm, Stealthy, Noncombatant|
2nd| +1| +2| +0| +3| +0| Ranged sneak attack, Uncanny dodge|
3rd| +2| +3| +1| +3| +1| Sneak attack +2d6, Stealth +1|
4th| +3| +4| +1| +4| +1| Imp. Uncanny dodge, Camouflage|
5th| +3| +5| +1| +4| +1| Sneak attack +3d6, Stalking shot 1/day|
6th| +4| +6| +2| +5| +2| Stealth +2, Imp. ranged sneak attack|
7th| +5| +7| +2| +5| +2| Sneak attack +4d6, Imp. sniping|
8th| +6| +8| +2| +6| +2| Hide in plain sight|
9th| +6| +9| +3| +6| +3| Sneak attack +5d6, Stealth +3|
10th| +7| +10| +3| +7| +3| Greater ranged sneak attack, Stalking shot 2/day|
[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the stealth archer prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Stealth archers gain no additional Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Arrows storm
When using a ranged projectile weapon, a Stealth Archer can attack with improved speed.
Refer to the “AS BaB” column for the improved BaB. A Stealth Archer loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying medium or heavy load.
Stealthy
A Stealth Archer gain stealthy as a bonus feat
Noncombatant
A Stealth Archer suffer a -2 penalty on all melee attack rolls
Ranged sneak attack
Upon reaching 2nd level, the Stealth Archer’s Sneak Attack range improves to 50ft.
This bonus increases to 70ft. at 6th level, and to 100ft. at 10th level.
Stealth
Upon Reaching 3rd level, the Stealth Archer gain a +1 bonus to Hide and Move Silently.
This bonus increases by 1 every 3 levels thereafter. A Stealth Archer loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying medium or heavy load.
Stalking Shot
Upon reaching 5th level, the Stealth Archer can declare a ranged attack to be a stalking shot once per day. Upon reaching 10th level the Stealth Archer can do so twice per day. Any ranged attack can be a stalking shot.
A successful stalking shot deals sneak attack damage. The Stealth Archer must declare an attack as a stalking shot before rolling the attack roll. This damage is not multiplied by a critical hit.
Imp. Sniping
Upon reaching 7th level, the Stealth Archer no loner suffer the normal penalty when sniping (refer to the hide skill).
Instead of taking a -20 penalty, the Stealth Archer only takes a -10 penalty.
Sneak attack, uncanny dodge, imp. Uncanny dodge
As the rogue abilities of the same names
Hide in plain sight, Camouflage
As the ranger abilities of the same names

Constructive criticism is always welcome :)

ErrantX
2009-04-20, 11:25 PM
First off, neat idea. Could use some fluff, but that's a personal preference of mine. I will have to say that you shouldn't put flaws as a entry requirement for a prestige class. It's not something that's usually done. I'd also require at least having the skirmish or sneak attack ability (+1d6) as an entry req.

On to class features:

I wouldn't give it Track as a bonus feat; chances are the entry class of choice would be Ranger. Without any fluff to go by, anyhow, that's what I'd say.

Arrow Storm makes sense but really could use some clarification in how its worded.

And honestly, I don't understand Stalking Shot at all. To do a stalking shot, do you need to qualify for sneak attack? Or is it that a stalking shot simply adds the sneak attack damage a couple times per day without having to qualify for sneak attack? If that's the case, I'd say just let it to do full sneak attack damage.

That's what I've got for now. I'd like to see some fluff on the class before I can really give it a good appraisal. What's this class about? Who are the people that tend to enter this class? What is their purpose? Etc etc

Cheers,
-X

Zerg Cookie
2009-04-21, 07:29 AM
Thanks for your comment.

As for the changes you suggested:
Sneak attack as prereq: It's not supposed to be a rogue-only PrC, it is supposed a class for all sneaky bow-users (Example: Rangers).
Flaw: It's there for a purpose, it's purpose is to make the Stealth Archer a great ranged class, but a below-average melee class.
And the fact that it's not usually done doesn't mean it can't be done :smalltongue:
Arrows storm: I know the wording sucks, but I have no other idea on how to word it. :smallfrown:
Track: Removed
Stalking shot: The attack doesn't have to qualify as a sneak attack.
As for damage, I changed it... It really makes more sense with d6's.

This class is about sniping, about dealing a lot of damage without being seen or heard.
It's mostly for rogues and rangers... Rogues would take it for the ranged sneak attack and Rangers for the extra damage.

Galileo
2009-04-21, 07:56 AM
Why not simply give the class a penalty to melee attacks?

Zerg Cookie
2009-04-21, 08:10 AM
Why not simply give the class a penalty to melee attacks?

I... Haven't thought of it...
(I feel really stupid now)

Chronos
2009-04-22, 12:24 AM
It's kind of redundant to give the Stealthy feat and then also give a bonus to stealth from class levels. Roll those into a single ability.

The Ranger version of Hide in Plain Sight isn't worth much unless you also have Camouflage to go along with it. In fact, for this class, it probably makes more sense to have Camouflage without HiPS: You're probably going to start the encounter hidden and stay hidden the whole time, so nobody's ever going to get a chance to watch you make a hide check.

And you'd get much the same effect as the Arrow Storm ability by just giving the class full BAB to begin with. You've already got a penalty to melee attacks, and anyone who takes this class is doing so because they want to make ranged attacks anyway.