PDA

View Full Version : The End of Kord (mini campaign journal, 4e)

Thrawn183
2009-04-20, 11:30 PM
So I just finished playing in a 4e campaign that went from level 20-30 and thought I should share it with all of you.

The Participants:
At the beginnig of the campaign we thought it would be hilarious to play "Team Striker" so don't call foul, this really was the composition of the party.

I played a Goliath Barbarian (Strength and Con focused) named Shrike. If any of you have seen the movie "Fist of Legend" the General Fujita was fairly close to how I would describe my character. Shrike believed only in one's own personal strength and generally subdued the largest animals he could find as transportation: water buffalo, elephants, dragons and whales being his favorites. Through feats I used a great hammer until I upgraded to a mordenkrad and wore full plate.

There was also a (changeling?) dark pact warlock (CE and truly obsessed with killing people, including babies), a sorceror, an avenger, and a swordmage. We had no leader and no controller. We handled healing by killing everything in our path and having me spend the healing surges after the battle was over. Sixteen healing surges is a lot of healing when your HP is over 220, btw.

In particular I was a barbarian/frenzied berzerker/demigod. We had another demigod in the party (the warlock) as well as two deadly tricksters (sorceror and avenger) and the swordmage was a planeshifter, though I never leared if that was actually his epic destiny.

The Beginning, how epic!
All the members of the party were summoned to the base of a mountain by the gods. All of them. We were informed that Bane, one of the two Gods of War, had been killed by a mysterious figure and that Kord, the second of the two Gods of War, was currently under assault. Our mission, should we have chosen to accept it (we did), was to reach the summit of the mountain and save Kord and then defeat whoever was trying to kill him. This guy had already killed one god. His army was holding off literally ALL of the gods' angels giving him time to fight Kord one on one, their battle had gone on for two or three days by this point, and the gods were afraid, very afraid.

We climbed the mountain fighting, and literally crushing everyone in our path from orcs to giants; as a Frenzied Berzerker with the Final Confrontation daily where you can kill anything in a single round if they fight you, I flavored it as literally pounding one of the giants head-deep into the ground. As we climbed higher and higher, the surviving combatants around us were progressively higher level and as we finally neared the top of the mountain, what was left of the enemy army (having defeated many of the angels) began to give chase. Finally, after many a trial and tribulation, we reached the summit of the mountain.

It is important at this point to explain a bit of my DM's world. A god, when brought to bloodied (half HP), disappears and then reappears in their primary temple. An opponent who then defeats them there can actually kill them for good. An opponent requires a truly awesome item for the purpose of killing a god, but one that simply beats them a second time is still capable of banishing the god from the material plane for at least a century, leaving them completely unable to affect it, and drastically reducing their power after that.

The top of this mountain was Kord's sanctuary. When we reached the top, we saw three figures still alive. Kord, laid out near a small altar, was half-paralyzed and gravely wounded. His only defender left was a human female (a paladin of Kord) and the hooded figure stood menacingly nearby. I had decided to make an athletics check to kartwheel up and over the edge of the cliff and unfortunately gave our position away by doing so. The hooded figure stabbed the paladin before turning to mist and disappearing, leaving us to deal with the paladin who had seemingly decided to help finish off Kord (the cause, being stabbed, was fairly apparent). This fight was particularly interesting because she summoned six angel minions but any time we killed one within five squares of her she was able to summon four more. Eventually we killed her as she was standing over Kord, literally the round she was about to deliver the killing blow.
More to come soon! Ie. Tomorrow after classes, and studying.

Thrawn183
2009-04-20, 11:32 PM
Reserved for Middle of Campaign.

Thrawn183
2009-04-20, 11:38 PM
Reserved for Campaign Finale.

Edit: Feel free to post requests for information or the like while this thing's under construction.