PDA

View Full Version : Kama/Disarm Monk PrC: Disciple of the Mantis

adriankas
2006-08-18, 12:39 AM
Yet another entry in my series of monk-weapon prestige classes. I was planning on making one PrC for each exclusive monk weapon which exists, each using a different and unique combat tactic, each based on a different animal, and then posting all of them at once, but I find that I no longer have time for that, so I'm posting everything I have (so that I don't feel like I've wasted my time)

Disciple of the Mantis

These martial artists have trained extensively using the humble monk sickle, used in their monasteries for harvesting grain- the kama. Raided by bandits, the monks studied the motions of the praying mantis which perched on their crops, mimicking the claw motions with their sickles. The mantis’ way of catching their prey’s limbs in between their pincers was adapted into a unique fighting style in which the nook of the kama was used to catch and disarm weapons. Most disciples are monks who have decided to focus on using the kama, rather than their fists, as their primary means of heightening their physical prowess. But there have also been many cases of mercenaries, fighters and barbarians traveling to monasteries so that they may learn these techniques, so they may strip their foes of their offensive capabilities.

Requirements: Combat Reflexes, Improved Disarm, Weapon Focus (Kama), Base Attack Bonus +6

Base Attack Bonus: Good
Saves: Fortitude Good, Reflex Bad, Will Bad
Hit Dice: d8
Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier
Class Skills: Same as monk
A Disciple of the Mantis gains no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Special Abilities
1: Prayer Stance
2: Claw Swipes, Fast Disarm
3: Fury of the Mantis
4: Ki Weapon
5: Improved Claw Swipes
6: Eyes of the Mantis
7: Swift Disarm
8: Catching Blades
9: Way of the Mantis
10: Greater Claw Swipes

Prayer Stance (Ex): When wearing no armor while fighting defensively, the Disciple of the Mantis gains a +1 to armor class bonus for every level of Disciple of the Mantis he has.

Claw Swipes (Ex): When wearing no armor, as long as the Disciple of the Mantis is wielding a two Kamas, he is treated as if he had the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. Furthermore, he may use both his Kamas at once in a disarm attempt- when doing so his disarm attempt counts as if he is using a two handed weapon.

Fast Disarm (Ex): The Disciple of the Mantis may make a disarm attempt as a move action.

Fury of the Mantis (Ex): The Disciple gains the fighter feat Weapon Specialization for the Kama

Ki Weapon (Su): The Disciple of the Mantis can transfer his Ki energies into his Kama, but cannot be encumbered by armor while doing so. A Disciple of the Mantis can, if he had these abilities before entering the prestige class, make Stunning Fist, Ki Strike and Quivering Palm and all other unarmed special attacks using his Kama. Furthermore, he gains bonus damage to all his Kama attacks based on his unarmed strike damage before. If his unarmed strike damage was 1d6, he gains a +1 to damage, 1d8:+2, 1d10+3, 2d6:+4 and 2d8 or more:+5.

Improved Claw Swipes (Ex): When wearing no armor, as long as the Disciple of the Mantis is wielding two Kamas, he is treated as if he had the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

Eyes of the Mantis (Ex): The Disciple gains the fighter feat Greater Weapon Focus for the Kama.

Catching Blades (Ex): While Fighting Defensively, the Disciple of the Mantis may make a free action disarm attempt against an enemy every time the enemy misses him with an attack.

Swift Disarm (Ex): The Disciple can now make disarm attempts using his kama as a swift action.

Way of the Mantis (Ex): The Disciple gains the fighter feat Greater Weapon Specialization for the Kama.

Greater Claw Swipes (Ex): When wearing no armor, as long as the Disciple of the Mantis is wielding two Kamas, he is treated as if he had the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat.