PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Necromantic Effects

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-04-21, 04:06 PM
Constructs and undead are listed as being immune to "necromantic effects." What exactly is meant by that? Does that actually mean they are immune to all Necromancy school spells? Is this balanced?

-JM

Douglas
2009-04-21, 04:44 PM
I just checked, and only constructs have that immunity, not undead.

Yes, it does mean that constructs are immune to the entire school of Necromancy. I do not consider this unbalanced.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-21, 04:49 PM
On a related topic, are undead immune to the spell Implosion? Both of my undead characters died last mission from it.

Starbuck_II
2009-04-21, 04:53 PM
On a related topic, are undead immune to the spell Implosion? Both of my undead characters died last mission from it.

Nope. only death spell. [Death] means death spell. Disintegrate and Implosion kill, but neither are blocked.

Thrawn183
2009-04-21, 05:27 PM
That is unfortunately incorrect. Implosion only targets creatures and Undead are immune to fort saves that do not affect objects.

Personally, I think this was probably an oversight but unfortunately the rules are quite clear on this matter.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-04-21, 05:35 PM
I just checked, and only constructs have that immunity, not undead.

Yes, it does mean that constructs are immune to the entire school of Necromancy. I do not consider this unbalanced.

I stand corrected, and thanks for the help.

It makes sense to me thematically, in that constructs don't have a life energy to steal (also that Undead wouldn't be immune, since then you couldn't heal them with Negative Energy), but it just seemed off. Thanks again.