PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Quick Spell Prep Question

goken04
2009-04-21, 10:17 PM
I'm about to play a cleric in the Tomb of Horrors! My question is if I cast Owl's Wisdom immediately before preparing spells, do I prepare bonus spells as if my wisdom was 24 instead of 20? Can I still use the bonus spells after the OW wears off? If I cast it again later in the day, can I gain back those bonus spells I prepared (if, indeed, I do lose them when it wears off)?

From what I've read of the RAW, I would say that I technically could still cast those spells I prepared even after the OW wears off. But that doesn't seem very RAI and I was hoping someone might have a good answer for me!

Assassin89
2009-04-21, 10:19 PM
I do not think so.

The transmuted creature becomes wiser. The spell grants a +4 enhancement bonus to Wisdom, adding the usual benefit to Wisdom-related skills. Clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers (and other Wisdom-based spellcasters) who receive owl’s wisdom do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Wisdom, but the save DCs for their spells increase.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-21, 10:19 PM
ToH is level 9. By that point, you should have a +4 item anyways.

goken04
2009-04-21, 10:23 PM
I sure could, if I wanted to spend half my gold on it instead of buying diamonds for raising dead and have no scrolls of Delay Death or Revivify. :wink:

Thanks Assasin! My bad for not even looking at the spell description and just under spell prep.

tyckspoon
2009-04-21, 11:07 PM
I sure could, if I wanted to spend half my gold on it instead of buying diamonds for raising dead and have no scrolls of Delay Death or Revivify. :wink:

Thanks Assasin! My bad for not even looking at the spell description and just under spell prep.

Buy it anyway. With spells like Delay Death, Revivify, and Revenance ('raises' a character to combat readiness for round/level, resets time-since-death counter) you shouldn't have too much need to cast the actual Raise Dead, and there are so many more useful things you could do with the money (and, this being the Tomb, chances are any corpse you can't pick up with Revivify/Revenance is going to be too mangled to Raise as well.)