PDA

View Full Version : Archivist Help

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-21, 10:57 PM
I was trying to come up with a more interesting title for this thread...something like "Skipping over Batman and going strait to Superman"...but, meh.

I thought I heard someone on the forum mention that Artificers can make any scroll arcane or divine. At that point I thought "Cool, I can have my cleric cast Fireball", and moved on. Now, thinking back on this, I had an idea. What about the Archivist? Could an Archivist scribe any freak'n spell into his prayerbook?

This evolved into a character concept. I go Archivist, and at level 6 get Leadership. My cohort is an Artificer. As he has the ability to create scrolls of magic items above his level by 2, he can keep me fully stocked with scrolls of anything...letting me scribe them into my prayer book. Please either tell me Im wrong or help me with some excellent spells by level (I will be level 10).

Also, can I stack Dark Knowledge and Knowledge Devotion. Would Collector of Stories apply here?

Im planning on going into Malconvoker after level 5, but any build advice would be helpfull...feats to get and what not. I don't need a full layout, just some suggesstions.

Please help me, and a cookie to whoever has the best ideas :smallsmile:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-21, 11:02 PM
Errata eliminated this ability from the Artificer, making all his scrolls neither(which makes him useless). Warlocks get the un-errata'd version at level 12, though, so that still works(though not at your best level).

DK and KD do stack, but CoS is iffy. It depends on RaI due to the vagueness of the RaW(meaning ask your DM).

Random NPC
2009-04-21, 11:52 PM
Here's the obligatory CharOp link for Malconvoker Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=918792)

Chronos
2009-04-22, 12:42 AM
Depending on what your DM lets you get access to, you can also get a divine version of almost any worthwhile spell from some domain list or another. And remember, you don't actually have to find scrolls, you just have to find cooperative spellcasters (how you make them cooperative is your business): Spellcasters can collaborate to make magic items, with each providing some of the prerequisites. You provide the Scribe Scroll prerequisite, and the Adept you paid provides the prerequisite of Web as a divine spell, for instance, and together you craft a divine scroll of Web.

Also note that some classes have spells at lower levels than normal. Delay Poison is a 1st level spell for rangers, for instance, instead of 2nd level, and Heal is a 5th level spell for adepts, instead of 6th. So find members of those classes and get all of your spells at the lowest available level.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-22, 08:55 AM
Errata eliminated this ability from the Artificer, making all his scrolls neither(which makes him useless). Warlocks get the un-errata'd version at level 12, though, so that still works(though not at your best level).

DK and KD do stack, but CoS is iffy. It depends on RaI due to the vagueness of the RaW(meaning ask your DM).

Yeah, I don't even know where to find errata (dont tell me!) because my group doesn't really use it.

Random NPC: Yeah, thanks, thats what gave me the idea for a malconvoker :smallamused:

Chronos: That is just what Im looking for: Heal as 5th by Adept!

namo
2009-04-22, 11:01 AM
Spells available at a lower level than usual for an Archivist:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=515321

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-22, 08:16 PM
Thank you! Thats great, but I can go arcane too...

Also, can someone quote the portion of the text showing that the scrolls created are either arcane or divine? I'd like to be able to show my other players when they go WITNOATIGAH? after seeing my spell list :smallbiggrin:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-04-23, 03:55 PM
Bump? :smallconfused:

Myrmex
2009-04-23, 09:01 PM
And remember, you don't actually have to find scrolls, you just have to find cooperative spellcasters (how you make them cooperative is your business): Spellcasters can collaborate to make magic items, with each providing some of the prerequisites.

/gratuitous chuckle

Nohwl
2009-04-24, 11:32 PM
sacred exorcist could give you turn undead (you could use divine metamagic to apply twin spell and repeat spell to summon a lot more every time, toss in persistent spell(you might need ocular spell for it to work), would maximize and empower work if you were using them to summon weaker monsters? you might want those if they can too. hmm...there are a lot of feats, be an elf and chaos shuffle?) you could use a level in contemplative to get the war domain for 2 extra feats to be chaos shuffled.(besides, it fits with the raising an army thing with summon monster anyway.)

lets see, all the feats i said:

twin, dmm twin
repeat, dmm repeat
ocular spell, dmm ocular spell
persistent, dmm persistent
maximize, dmm maximize
empower, dmm empower

feats you would need:

extend spell
augment summoning
spell focus conjuration

so thats 15 total. so if you were an elf and used the chaos shuffle, you would have 6 feats from proficiencies, and then 7 from leveling. that is 13, and if you got the war domain with contemplative, you would have 15. you could get away with swapping scribe scroll for leadership so you could have the cohort and get all of your spells that way. with a flaw, you could have knowledge devotion.

there are still 3 levels to play with, so you could take 3 more levels of archivist. see if claws or whatever your summons are using to attack count as weapons for dark knowledge foe. thaumaturgist would allow for your summons to last longer, so you might want that instead. you could chaos shuffle away one of the augment summonings instead of taking a flaw.

edit:
that warlock ability is on page 8 of complete arcane.