PDA

View Full Version : Request Challenge: "I Got a gun in my arm!"

VirOath
2009-04-22, 12:01 AM
I'm looking for a fresh core class or PrC. Complete Homebrew. And 3.5 ruleset.

-Must be designed for Warforge. Ideally to the flavor of Warforge Juggernaut.

-Ranged by design. Don't have to forgo any melee abilities, but should have a heavy focus on ranged attacks.

-Lacking spell casting. Ex and Su are welcome, Spell Like can add some flavor, but no advancement or providing it's own spell casting.

-Trap Monkeying preferred, though the trap sense line isn't required.

- Bonus points for anime styled class weapons (Built in pile o'guns via Rifts, Eyebeams, etc.)

What I'm looking for is a good class to take a Warforge into. Now the campaign is running on house rules to allow the entire MM# within reason, only using the LA listed (Racial HD is NOT factored into ECL for this campaign!)

I'm looking to avoid grabbing another monster, wanting to play something a bit more unique, but a straight Core/PrC would fall behind without some cheese, which I would want to avoid. Something more closely tailored should do much better.

Now it would either need to allow trapmonkeying to continue, or provide it. I want to avoid the Skirmish damage given from a scout, or Precision damage of most types. Filling part of the role of skill monkey would be nice.

But note that it doesn't have to compete with with full casters. The only wizard is an NPC. No druid is in the party. Be unique and creative.

This is an exercise. I can't promise it will be used, and it isn't urgent. And the only prize is a cookie. But I'd love to see what the minds around this board can pull together.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-04-22, 06:03 PM
Well, this isn't exactly what you had in mind (not particularly Warforged flavored), but it is a ranged combatant, has no spellcasting (despite the name), has a good skill selection including many trapmonkey skills, and can achieve your desired weapon things (by building a huge blunderbuss into your arm or some such).

It's something I whipped up a while ago that people seemed to like (under an old, since-deleted account), and it got good reviews, so...

The Black Powder Mage
BLACK POWDER MAGE

http://images.elfwood.com/fanq/r/a/randy78/rifleman.jpg

“That be a damn gud fireball there, laddie…but step ye aside. I’ve got sommat t’will rattle ‘is very bones.”

-Brak Fiedalbak, Black Powder Mage

Black Powder Mages are earthly mages, those without arcane power of any sort. Yet their skill with firearms is almost magical, and thus the name was born. In the hands of a Black Powder Mage a simple gun becomes an incredible instrument of death and destruction, and woe betide the one who makes an enemy of a mage.

MAKING A BLACK POWDER MAGE
Abilities: A high Dexterity score is crucial to making a good Black Powder Mage, as it not only controls their accuracy but their damage as well. A high Constitution is useful for survival, and a decent Wisdom score helps with seeking and finding targets.
Races: Dwarves and Gnomes, with their penchant for invention and their skill with things such as firearms and smokepowder, make up most of the Black Powder Mage population. Elves are possibly the least common, as the style is directly opposite the grace and majesty of the elves’ culture.
Alignment: Any. Black Powder Mages use their abilities as they see fit, and don’t let things like alignment stand in their way.
Starting Gold: 4d4x10. In addition, a Black Powder Mage beings play with a Blunderbuss (See below for details).
Starting Age: As Fighter.

Class Skills
The Black Powder Mage's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
Skills Per Day at 1st Level : (4 + Int)x4
Skills Per Day at Each Additional Level : 4 + Int

Hit Dice: d8

Black Powder Mage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Breath o’ the Black Powder Dragon 1/encounter, Lucky Shot 1/encounter

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Hit ‘em where it Hurts

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Barrel Blast +1d10
4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Quick Load I, Ain’t Gonna Hit Me

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Barrel Blast +2d10, Lucky Shot 2/encounter

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Breath o’ the Black Powder Dragon 2/encounter, Knockback Shot

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Barrel Blast +3d10, Ring o’ Fire I

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Gotcha’ Covered, ‘Twixt the Eyes 1/day

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|Barrel Blast +4d10, Lucky Shot 3/encounter

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Quick Load II

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|Barrel Blast +5d10, Breath o’ the Black Powder

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|Flingin' Lead, ‘Twixt the Eyes 2/day

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|Barrel Blast +6d10, Lucky Shot 4/encounter

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|Ring o’ Fire II

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5|Barrel Blast +7d10, Penetrating Shot

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|Breath o’ the Black Powder Dragon 4/encounter, ‘Twixt the Eyes 3/day

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Barrel Blast +8d10, Lucky Shot 5/encounter

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|Take ‘em Down

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|Barrel Blast +9d10

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Black Powder Mage, ‘Twixt the Eyes 4/day

[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Black Powder Mage is proficient with all simple weapons, all firearms, and light and medium armor.

Class Features
The following are all class features of the Black Powder Mage.

Breath o’ the Black Powder Dragon: Once per encounter, as a standard action, a Black Powder Mage may blanket an area in a rain of hot lead. All enemies within a 30ft cone must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + ˝ your class level + your Dex modifier) or take damage as if they had been shot by your firearm. A successful Reflex save results in half damage. This ability may only be used when the Black Powder Mage is wielding a Blunderbuss.
A Black Powder Mage may use this ability an additional time per encounter for every five class levels above 1st.
Lucky Shot: Once per encounter, as a swift action, a Black Powder Mage may re-roll any single attack roll made with a firearm. You must take the re-roll, even if it is worse than the original roll.
A Black Powder Mage may use this ability an additional time per encounter for every four class levels above 1st.
Hit ‘em where it Hurts: At second level a Black Powder Mages adds his Dexterity modifier to his firearm damage.
Barrel Blast: Beginning at third level a Black Powder Mage may add the listed die to the damage dealt whenever he fires his Blunderbuss. This extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit. This applies to all class abilities unless otherwise specified.
Quick Load: At forth level a Black Powder Mage may load his Blunderbuss as a move equivalent action that does not draw an attack of opportunity. He may load a pistol as a free action. At tenth level you may load your blunderbuss as a free action.
Ain’t Gonna Hit Me: At forth level you do not provoke attacks op opportunity for firing from within a threatened area.
Knockback Shot: Beginning at sixth level, a Black Powder Mage may take a -4 penalty to his attack roll to knock his opponent flying. If your attack lands, your opponent must make a Reflex save (DC 10 +1/2 your class level + your Dex modifier). If your opponent fails the save, he is knocked 10ft away in the direction of your choice and falls prone in the square he ends up in. Barrel Blast damage applies to this attack. This abilities applies to all class features that require an attack roll and may only be used in conjunction with a Blunderbuss. The opponent does not provoke attacks of opportunity for moving in this manner.
Ring o’ Fire: Beginning at seventh level, a Black Powder Mage threatens all squares within 5ft of him with his firearm as if he were wielding a melee weapon. You may make attacks of opportunity with your firearm. At 14th level you threaten everything within 10ft of you.
Gotcha’ Covered: Beginning at eighth level, whenever an opponent within your first range increment attempts an attack of opportunity against an ally, you may sacrifice an attack of opportunity to make a ranged attack against that foe as a free action. If you hit, you deal normal ranged damage (do not apply Barrel Blast or Knockback Shot to this attack) and your opponent cannot make attacks of opportunity for the rest of the round.
‘Twixt the Eyes: Beginning at eighth level, a Black Powder Mage learns to strike with incredible accuracy. Once per day, as a full-round action, make an attack roll against a single opponent in range. The attack (if it hits) is considered to be a critical threat regardless of the number rolled.
A Black Powder Mage may use this ability an additional time per encounter for every four class levels above 8th.
Flingin' Lead At 12th level a Black Powder Mage learns to fire off a barrage. As a full-round action you may make two attacks with your firearm, applying Barrel Blast damage to each. You may use Knockback Shot or Breath o' the Black Powder Dragon in conjunction with this ability, but must either use it on every shot or on none.
Penetrating Shot: At 15th level a Black Powder Mage learns the art of puncturing wounds. As a standard action, you may choose to target every creature within a 60ft line with your firearm. Make a separate attack roll against each creature. If struck, creatures along this line take damage from your shot. Apply Barrel Blast damage only to the first creature struck in this fashion. You cannot combine Knockback Shot with this ability.
Take ‘em Down: Beginning at 18th level, any time you roll a natural 20 with your firearm and confirm the critical, your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Dex modifier) or die instantly. This ability also activates if you confirm a critical through ‘Twixt the Eyes.
Black Powder Mage: At 20th level a Black Powder Mage reaches the peak of his abilities. As a full-round action, you may make a ranged attack at your highest attack bonus against as many targets as you wish. You can attack each target just once with this attack, calculating range and cover penalties from your position on the battlefield. Apply your Barrel Blast damage to each attack. You may use Knockback Shot in conjunction with this ability, but must either use it on every shot or on none.

__________________________________________________ _____

Firearms:

Blunderbuss: Size-Large; Damage-Special (see below); Critical-x3; Range-30ft; Type-Piercing; Cost-250gp; Weight-15lbs

A Blunderbuss is an unusual weapon in that it's damage is dependent on the distance to the target. If the target is within the first range increment the weapon deals 3d10 damage, if the target is within second range increment the weapon deals 2d10 damage, and if the target is within the remaining range increments the weapon deals 1d10 damage. Loading a Blunderbuss is a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Additionally, a Blunderbuss is notoriously slow to fire. Firing a Blunderbuss is a standard action: no more than one shot may be fired per round unless an ability specifically states otherwise.

Pistol: Size-Small; Damage-2d6; Critical-x3; Range-30ft; Type-Piercing; Cost-75gp; Weight-4lbs

Loading a Pistol is a standard that provokes an attack of opportunity.

Designer's Note: It's a powerful class, but I felt that, as it's Warlock based and focused PURELY on damage, it could get a bit of a boost since it looses out on many good abilities from Invocations. At low levels the massive damage is balanced by a slow firing rate, and high levels the damage is about that of a well-built melee fighter.

Any and all comments/criticism is welcome. :smallbiggrin:

Baron Corm
2009-04-22, 06:30 PM
I don't know what "trap monkeying" means, but here's the "gun in arm" angle.

Warforged Gunboat
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Advanced Weaponry
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Advanced Weaponry
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Advanced Weaponry
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Advanced Weaponry
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Advanced Weaponry
6th|+6|+5|+5|+2|Advanced Weaponry
7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|Advanced Weaponry
8th|+8|+6|+6|+2|Advanced Weaponry
9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|Advanced Weaponry
10th|+10|+7|+7|+3|Advanced Weaponry[/table]

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Requirements

Base Attack Bonus: +4
Special: Must be a warforged.

Class Features

Advanced Weaponry (Ex)

At each level, the warforged gunboat selects a type of weaponry from the below list. That weaponry becomes a part of the warforged gunboat's metal chassis, and may be used as described. You may take each weapon only once. By level 10 you will have attained all weapons.

Cannon

A cannon coming out of any single limb. The cannon has a range of 100 feet and deals 1d10 fire damage per class level to creatures in a 10 foot radius. It requires no attack roll, but allows a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + class level + Dexterity modifier). It may be used once per encounter per class level as a standard action.

Extra Cannon - Requires Cannon

The warforged gunboat unlocks an additional cannon in any limb. This increases his cannon uses per encounter by his class level. In addition, both cannons can be shot with a single standard action (different targets may be assigned to each cannon).

Laser

A laser beam coming out of the eyes or fingertips. The laser is a ranged touch attack with a range of 60 feet, dealing 1d12 damage per class level. It may be fired as a full-round action, once per encounter per class level.

Super Laser - Requires Laser

Increases the damage of the laser by 1d12 per class level.

SMG

A rapid-firing ranged weapon. The SMG can fire bullets as a normal sling, however you have essentially unlimited ammunition. In addition, your normal number of iterative attacks are doubled. You may use your SMG at-will. It can be enchanted as a sling.

Machine Gun - Requires SMG

Your SMG triples your iterative attacks instead of doubling them.

Seeker Missile

An enemy-seeking missile, fired from your mouth or chest cavity. The missile deals 1d6 sonic damage per class level, and hits your target unerringly. It has a range of 100 feet. It may be used once per encounter per class level as a swift action.

Extra Salvos - Requires Seeker Missile

Your seeker missile fires multiple missiles, doubling its damage and enabling it to hit up to three creatures within range.

Discharge

A discharge of the massive amounts of current going through your body. The discharge deals 1d8 electricity damage per class level to all creatures within 50 feet of you. There is a Fortitude save for half damage (DC 10 + class level + Dexterity modifier). Discharge may be used once per encounter per class level as a move action.

Deadly Discharge - Requires Discharge

Your discharge becomes more deadly, doubling the range to 100 feet, and dealing double damage to creatures within the first 50 feet.

Owrtho
2009-04-22, 08:18 PM
There is a PRC for using an arm cannon here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74886). Though it is in a spoiler lower down in the first post.

Owrtho

VirOath
2009-04-22, 08:54 PM
Cool, thanks guys! Great responses so far. The Gunboat is cool, much more than I was expecting! And to explain, Trap monkeying is a Skill monkey that has traps covered.

And the Black powder mage was something close to what I was looking for too. Built in weapons aren't needed, just bonus points for it :smallbiggrin:

Though finding some way of getting more construct like would be a big boost too ^_^

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-04-22, 08:58 PM
And the Black powder mage was something close to what I was looking for too. Built in weapons aren't needed, just bonus points for it :smallbiggrin:

Though finding some way of getting more construct like would be a big boost too ^_^

I'd try, but it's already pretty loaded (pardon the pun) as it is. Adding any features would tilt it towards the "overpowered" category, and I see nothing I'd take out. That said, if you want to tinker around with it for your own purposes, feel free!

VirOath
2009-04-23, 04:17 AM
Thanks ^_^

I have a few ideas on what can be given up, tweaked, and how to squeeze in the progression from Warforge Juggernaut into with being close to balanced.

But that class is nice in itself! I know my next dwarf :smallbiggrin: