PDA

View Full Version : Superpowered Rumble [Waiting for Game Thread]

GoC
2009-04-22, 11:25 AM
I thought it would be best to start recruitment early.

http://doubleviking.cachefly.net/images/bamkapow/2008/08/goku-vs-superman/superman-vs-goku-06.jpg
This is a game about making up powers, bidding for them and then beating the boop out your fellow players.:smalltongue:
A link (http://kevan.org/rumble.cgi?genre=hero&mode=rules) to the rules for Superhero Rumble.

Three extra rules:
1. No unfun powers (+50 to all attacks for instance).
2. Please PM actions to me as "Superhero rumble - Round X actions"
3. Rounds will be 48 hours long. 24 hours for giving in actions and then another 24 for post-round actions (Manifestation of the Cosmic Consciousness, Utlity belt, Batman Captions, Holy Exposition!). The default action if nothing is sent is to put all energy into defence. You can give yourself another one if you like. Unlike in the previous game this will be enforced. There are too many players to wait for everyone to send an action.
4. If anyone ends up with less than 40 energy at the start of the game they can sacrifice one of their powers before the game starts to gain Power Strength energy.
5. Teams are basically alliances. A team wins if there are no members from any other team in the game. You can spend energy to defend another member of your team.

Send in your powers as you sign up!

Roleplaying encouraged!:smallbiggrin:

Teams are as follows (feel free to rename them!:smallsmile:):
Team 1: Shadowcaller, D_Lord, Tired N' Drowzy
Team 2: Selrahc, Murska, billtodamax
Team 3: Lamech, happyturtle, Saint Nil
Team 4: Recaiden, Night Surgeon, detrevnisisiht

Shadowcaller
2009-04-24, 11:19 AM
I'm in of course.

Selrahc
2009-04-24, 11:32 AM
I'm in. Lets see if I can finally notch up a win.

D_Lord
2009-04-24, 12:03 PM
This sounds fun I want in.

Murska
2009-04-24, 12:05 PM
I guess I'll be in, again. :smallsmile:

Lamech
2009-04-24, 01:10 PM
I'm totally in for this one.

Recaiden
2009-04-24, 05:30 PM
I'll be in again.

happyturtle
2009-04-24, 05:41 PM
Okay, this is totally a boy game, but... I'm in.

GoC
2009-04-24, 07:21 PM
Okay, this is totally a boy game, but... I'm in.

Sexism!

btw: I've noticed a lack of interesting meta-powers in this game... things like:
Poetic Soul: You have the soul of a poet and can only be harmed by badly mangled poetry. In order for his attacks to do damage an opponent must post a poem (with a twist) in the thread.

Selrahc
2009-04-24, 07:48 PM
Are we going to start making our own genres after we run out? I was thinking maybe Army Rumble, Disease Rumble, Food Rumble, Deep Sea Rumble, Ninja Rumble, Robot Rumble... we've got a lot of potential genres to invent.

btw: I've noticed a lack of interesting meta-powers in this game...

Right, I guess this game is going to be the one where there are no powers that aren't crazy meta powers.

Lamech
2009-04-24, 08:12 PM
Are we going to start making our own genres after we run out? I was thinking maybe Army Rumble, Disease Rumble, Food Rumble, Deep Sea Rumble, Ninja Rumble, Robot Rumble... we've got a lot of potential genres to invent.
Werewolf Rumble. Hmm... if these become popular we could even have a Rumble WW.

D_Lord
2009-04-24, 10:06 PM
So when is this game starting?

GoC
2009-04-24, 10:34 PM
So when is this game starting?

After I've got Shadowcaller, Recaiden and happyturtle's powers and the bids are in.

happyturtle
2009-04-25, 06:45 AM
Powers submitted.

And I will be playing as TurtleWoman! Defender of Terrapins!

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/Turtlewoman.png

billtodamax
2009-04-25, 06:57 AM
I'll be cheering for happyturtle and Recaiden! Silently! Woo!

Fan
2009-04-25, 10:25 AM
I'm in as the Goddamn PALE MAN.
It's from the same plot that Turtlewoman was from.:smalltongue:

GoC
2009-04-25, 10:55 AM
I'll be cheering for happyturtle and Recaiden! Silently! Woo!

Are you out then?

With this many players I might have to divide you up into teams...
How does that sound?

detrevnisisiht
2009-04-25, 12:10 PM
Is there any room left?

GoC
2009-04-25, 12:27 PM
Is there any room left?

Yes.
With 9 I think three teams of three should work nicely, if everyone agrees?

happyturtle
2009-04-25, 12:30 PM
So our goal is to win for our team rather than as an individual? Do we cooperate on bidding for powers?

GoC
2009-04-25, 01:27 PM
So our goal is to win for our team rather than as an individual? Do we cooperate on bidding for powers?

No. Bid for powers individually then you'll be asigned two teammates.

I'll wait a few hours to see if there are any objections first.

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-25, 02:22 PM
Can I jump in, or is it too late?

I have some interesting power ideas, but I'm not familiar with the game, so I'm not sure if you can send in multiple, or just one.

In if it's still open. Two teams of five could work, or five teams of two...

Lamech
2009-04-25, 02:57 PM
I don't know about this whole team idea... it really changes the nature of the game. Hmm... and thinking about the powers I sent in... tee hee hee... I support teams.

I actually think two teams of five would work better... Five teams of two. Having two teams is a bad, bad idea it totally rearanges the game.

billtodamax
2009-04-25, 04:10 PM
I'll be in if you need an extra player, but it isn't looking like it.

happyturtle
2009-04-25, 04:46 PM
Do we attack and defend as a team? Or is it every round going to be 'Everyone on Team A eliminates one member of Team B' and vice versa until it's back to a one on one fight?

GoC
2009-04-25, 04:47 PM
:smalleek:
11 players?!
Wow. Might as well throw in a DMPC (unless someone else comes in) and make it four teams of three...
That could be pretty fun actually though my inbox isn't going to be happy.
Ok, so barring any objections it's 4 teams of three. Teams to be assigned after bidding.
Could the remaining players send in their powers?

happyturtle: Teams would merely be alliances. You can assign some or all of your defence another player on your team though.

billtodamax
2009-04-25, 05:01 PM
Look, I don't mind if I don't play. If it makes it too difficult for you then I won't. I'm happy just to spectate.

Saint Nil
2009-04-25, 05:06 PM
Here, I'll make it 12.
VV-Not quite.

billtodamax
2009-04-25, 05:17 PM
Powers sent. My hero shall be...
http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/197/beeman_p8.gif
Beeman!

D_Lord
2009-04-25, 05:37 PM
So when is the biding starting, oh, yes, Nil are you blind now?

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-25, 05:56 PM
I'll be playing

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq84/TiredNDrowzy/VampireMan.png

Debating switching over my avatar, for a brief change...

Also, since this team stuff is relatively new, can we learn our teammates before the bidding starts? And can we pay for allies' powers?

Lamech
2009-04-25, 06:07 PM
I'm this guy...
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/lamech_class_weapon/angelscan2-1.jpg

he's a badly drawn angel, to go along with losing my big sword. (See LLD2)

GoC
2009-04-25, 06:58 PM
I've reworded a couple of these for consistency (let me know if I've made a mistake).
Powers list:

Blood Drain: When using a standard attack you gain energy equal to half of the damage you deal. This cannot put you above your starting energy.

Invisibility: Burn 10 energy. All attacks enemies make against you this round deal no damage, and incur no negative effects.

Big hand of doing things!: Burn 10 Spend 10. You may use a copy of someone else's power this turn, however you still have to pay for it.

Mind reader: Spend 20. You may use this once every turn. You see how many points a player has put into offense and defense, but not how many is used on their powers.

Protection: You gain Power Strength/10 protection tokens. You can use a protection token after you find out how much damage you take, and can store that damage for later. When you use all protection tokens, you receive damage equal to the damage abosrbed by the tokens.

Fly: Spend Power Strength/2 energy (round up). You have a 50% chance of taking no damage this round.

High-Powered Energy Shield: Burn X. Add 10X to your Defense for this round.

Battle Meditation: Battle Meditation begins with a Power Strength of 1. Multiply all of your Attacks by Battle Meditation's Power strength. For every turn you do not Attack, add 1 to Battle Meditation's Power Strength.

Behold My True Form: Spend X, once per game: Add X/2 to your Energy.

Hell's Heart: An Attack of 80 is divided up amongst all opponents who dealt you damage on the round that you are defeated.

Symbiotic field: Each turn every hero who neither attacks you nor uses agressive powers on you gains three energy. Each turn every hero who does takes three unavoidable damage. If you attack a hero, that hero can not gain energy this turn from this power. Note: The effects of this power affect you, so you'll probably gain three energy a round.

Demon worms: When you die you can give 2X demon worms divided any way you choose among the other players. These are sidekicks with five energy each. X is the turns you have been in game, including the turn you died.

Glue Shooter: The last person to send in their actions every turn gets stuck in glue, and may not make any actions at all. The person who wins this power is immune.

Chaos Control: Burn 10. One of 6 random things happen to the targeted person
1. +20 hp, Must post actions publicly for next 3 turns
2. -20 hp
3. Defence Halved
4. 80 damage attack
5. Anyone involved in killing this person gains 20 hp.
6. Vanish for two turns. If this leaves only people from one team, that team has won.

Batman Captions: For each set of damage dealt to a Hero, you may shout a one-word sound effect that has not been shouted before in the game, to add 5 to that damage.

Holy Exposition!: At the end of each round you may shout a description of what's going on in the game to regenerate 3 energy. (Ex: "Great Scott! Murska's precognition allowed him to block my attack perfectly!")

Internal Monolouge: If you write a heroic, anti heroic, or villainous monolouge in the thread you gain 20 unburnable energy until your next turn. This can only be done once every turn.

Utlity belt: With this you're always ready for any action that comes your way. You know actions of 2 other players without their knowledge. These players must be choosen at the beginning of the game, and cannot be changed.

Legion: Spend all of your energy in total and create a side-kick named Legion with X*15 energy, where X is number of dead players in the game.
Legion can only spend its energy on attack but is immune to all damage, it have no special abilities. This side-kick is removed from the game once the player with this power dies.
This power can only be used once in the game.

Ressurection: Burn 10, Spend X, select a dead player, bring that player back to life with X/2 energy.
Once used the player needs to wait two rounds before being able to use this power again.

Escalation: Every time you are Attacked, you gain a cumulative +5 bonus to your Attacks versus that opponent.

Plastic Ooze: Spend 10. Any Hero who Attacked you this turn cannot Attack next turn.

Manifestation of the Cosmic Consciousness: During the Resolution Phase, you may add half this Power's Power Strength, rounded down, to either Defense or an Attack.

Perfect Balance: If you spend the same on Defence and an Attack, in any round, add 20 to each.

Note: you can only submit two powers. That said, let me know if I've missed anything out or if you feel any of the above powers would "unfun".
I'm still waiting for powers from Recaiden and detrevnisisiht.

I must say the disparity in power between some of these is amazing! Compare Batman Captions and Battle Meditation or Ressurection. In general though this is the most overpowered game I've seen.:smallbiggrin:

Tired N' Drowzy:I'd say you cannot pay for allies powers (too unbalancing).
First post updated!

EDIT: Powers added and Internal Monologue updated as per Night Surgeon's request.

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-25, 07:32 PM
Wait... What, exactly, does the Utility Belt do? By Actions, does it mean powers? I can't really figure it out. If you can just kind of 'have' the powers of two other people, that's ridiculous.

Similarly, if you can just kind of 'have' the attack and defense of someone else added on, it's even more ridiculous... Especially with Teammates.

They could just stockpile offense between the two of them, and if you have specific powers...

Selrahc
2009-04-25, 07:32 PM
Is burning the same as taking damage? For example, if you burned 10 to add a hundred defence with the high powered shield, could you use a protection token to hold back the damage from the burn? How about flight?

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-25, 07:34 PM
When you spend energy, it is not permanently consumed, but you can't use it for Offense, Defense, or powers that round. When you burn it, you lose it permanently.

To answer your question, yes. It is lost permanently.

I'd guess you could.

Do you have ten protection tokens? How much damage can they absorb each?

Saint Nil
2009-04-25, 07:37 PM
While they have the same effect, burning and takin gdamage casue you to lose energy seperate ways, so I don't hink they stack.

GoC
2009-04-25, 07:45 PM
Tired N' Drowzy:I believe Night Surgeon's intent was that you can see the actions of those two players. I've editted it to be like that unless he says otherwise.

Burn is not negatable by any power.

Saint Nil should clarify this but it seems to me that the tokens absorb all the damage you take in one round. Saint Nil?

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-25, 07:49 PM
As a second question, can you use the internal monologue each turn? Or is it useable once only?

Saint Nil
2009-04-25, 07:51 PM
Saint Nil should clarify this but it seems to me that the tokens absorb all the damage you take in one round. Saint Nil?

Yes, 1 token per round, and that token absorbs all damage that round if you choose it to, after you find out the dmage you have taken.

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-25, 07:58 PM
How many tokens do you have, though?

Saint Nil
2009-04-25, 07:59 PM
However much you spend on the power divided by 10. It says so in the description.

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-25, 08:02 PM
OOOOOH!

That makes sense.

I thought it was either ten, or however much attack you make divided by ten, in which case you could survive indefinitely if you just kept attacking with a power of ten...

Yeah.

Got it.

GoC
2009-04-25, 08:05 PM
As a second question, can you use the internal monologue each turn? Or is it useable once only?

I'd say every turn but we might have to wait for Night Surgeon to clarify.

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-25, 08:07 PM
Eh... I'd advise against it. If that's the case, someone could nab it and Invisibility, and the game would literally never end. If they bid high enough, they won't have many points to spend on attacking, and the game will end in stalemate.

Saint Nil
2009-04-25, 08:10 PM
Since it is temporary energy, I don't think you can burn it.

Selrahc
2009-04-25, 08:11 PM
Eh... I'd advise against it. If that's the case, someone could nab it and Invisibility, and the game would literally never end. If they bid high enough, they won't have many points to spend on attacking, and the game will end in stalemate.

I was under the impression that it gave temporary energy, not permanent.

GoC
2009-04-25, 08:14 PM
That is correct.

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-25, 08:24 PM
Ahhh, OK. That works out, then.

Lamech
2009-04-25, 08:49 PM
Hey does the energy from internal monolouge happen as soon as you post it?

GoC
2009-04-25, 08:54 PM
Hey does the energy from internal monolouge happen as soon as you post it?

What difference does it make?

Lamech
2009-04-25, 09:01 PM
Basically can you use get the bonus on turn one? And can you use it on turn x and turn x+1 for an extra 40 energy.

Fan
2009-04-25, 09:01 PM
Yes it does. >.>

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-26, 10:21 AM
...Wait. Is there a difference between gaining and regenerating? I heard someone say the Internal Monologue gained energy, which could not be burned, and is only usable once...

As the creator of the Blood Drain, I was really thinking it would be more permanent... Should it, then, be regenerate instead?

GoC
2009-04-26, 01:00 PM
...Wait. Is there a difference between gaining and regenerating? I heard someone say the Internal Monologue gained energy, which could not be burned, and is only usable once...
I'm not even sure Night Surgeon knows how that power works...
I'll ask him to rewrite it.

Just so you know here's what he originally sent me:
Internal Monolouge: The user of this power gains a additional 20 energy if they post a heroic, or anti heroic internal monolouge in the thread. The energy gained from this power lasts until the end of your next.

As the creator of the Blood Drain, I was really thinking it would be more permanent... Should it, then, be regenerate instead?
It is permanent.

GoC
2009-04-26, 04:58 PM
All powers are in! Start bidding.

happyturtle
2009-04-26, 05:05 PM
What's the deadline?

GoC
2009-04-26, 05:11 PM
What's the deadline?

Hmm...
I'll give 48 hours.

D_Lord
2009-04-27, 07:05 PM
Do we pm you the votes or just here?

Wreckingrocc
2009-04-27, 07:34 PM
PM, I believe... Otherwise the people who bid last have a huge advantage, and plans can be easily sabotaged.

GoC
2009-04-28, 09:11 AM
Do we pm you the votes or just here?

PM. Unless you want everyone to see your bids...

Saint Nil
2009-04-28, 05:16 PM
So.....what happens to people who don't send in powers?

happyturtle
2009-04-28, 05:20 PM
They start with 100 energy and no powers?

Saint Nil
2009-04-28, 05:22 PM
Get to bid on powers nbo one else wanted?

happyturtle
2009-04-28, 05:23 PM
No, that would give them too much of an advantage, since they would be able to buy them for cheap.

Saint Nil
2009-04-28, 05:26 PM
True. I suppose your plan works best then.

GoC
2009-04-28, 06:51 PM
{table=head]Power | Winning player | Bid
Blood Drain | detrevnisisiht | 31
Invisibility | Tired N' Drowzy | 18
Big hand of doing things! | Selrahc | 4
Mind reader | happyturtle | 16
Protection | billtodamax | 50
Fly | Night Surgeon | 5
High-Powered Energy Shield | Selrahc | 4
Battle Meditation | Murska | 31
Behold My True Form | Shadowcaller | 5
Hell's Heart | happyturtle | 21
Symbiotic field | Saint Nil | 21
Demon worms | billtodamax | 10
Glue Shooter | Selrahc | 4
Chaos Control | Selrahc | 8
Batman Captions | Recaiden | 7
Holy Exposition! | Lamech | 12
Internal Monolouge | Lamech | 13
Utlity belt | Night Surgeon | 5
Legion | Shadowcaller | 18
Ressurection | Recaiden | 6
Escalation | Recaiden | 11
Plastic Ooze | Shadowcaller | 5
Manifestation of the Cosmic Consciousness | Selrahc | 4
Perfect Balance | detrevnisisiht | 21[/table]

Team 1: Shadowcaller, 72 Energy-Behold My True Form 5, Legion 18, Plastic Ooze 5
-D_Lord, 100 energy
-Tired N' Drowzy, 82 Energy-Invisibility 18
Team 2: Selrahc, 76 Energy-Big hand of doing things! 4, High-Powered Energy Shield 4, Glue Shooter 4, Chaos Control 8, Manifestation of the Cosmic Consciousness 4
-Murska, 69 Energy-Battle Meditation 31
-billtodamax, 40 Energy-Protection 50, Demon Worms 10
Team 3: Lamech, 75 Energy-Holy Exposition! 12, Internal Monolouge 13
-happyturtle, 63 Energy-Mind Reader 16, Hell's Heart 21
-Saint Nil, 79 Energy-Symbiotic field 21
Team 4: Recaiden, 76 Energy-Batman Captions 7, Ressurection 6, Escalation 11
-Night Surgeon, 90 Energy-Fly 5, Utility Belt 5
-detrevnisisiht, 48 Energy-Blood Drain 31, Perfect Balance 21

D_Lord
2009-04-28, 10:54 PM
Can't send it to you. Your box is full.

GoC
2009-04-29, 02:16 AM
Can't send it to you. Your box is full.

The deadline expired I'm afraid and my PM box filled up well after the expiry.
New thread up soon.

Meanwhile send in your actions (and maybe rename your teams).

Recaiden
2009-04-29, 07:55 AM
So, how exactly does this work:

Batman Captions: For each set of damage dealt to a Hero, you may shout a one-word sound effect that has not been shouted before in the game, to add 5 to that damage.

Do I add them to my PM, or post here? Do they only work if I get through defense? If so, does a failed attempt count as using up the sound effect?

happyturtle
2009-04-29, 08:07 AM
I submitted it to make the game sillier/more fun. So they should appear in the thread. Maybe submit them by PM, and GoC adds them to the narration if the attack gets through? Failed attacks shouldn't use up the sound effect, since the 'POW!' would be more like a 'WHOOSH!'

Lamech
2009-04-29, 08:13 AM
Internal Monolouge: Well, well, well, I see the world has fallen under attack. But thats okay I'm here to save it. But first I need my tea and crumpets. Can't smite evil on an empty stomache.

GoC
2009-04-29, 08:21 AM
Maybe submit them by PM, and GoC adds them to the narration if the attack gets through?

I'm umm... not very good (read: completely hopeless) at narration.:smallfrown:
Any idea where I can recruit a narrator from?
If not then it might be better to post them in thread. Seems to me you'd have to wait til after the actions are posted... was this your intent?

Selrahc
2009-04-29, 08:31 AM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/SelrahctheEternal/theGambler-727158-1.jpg
A pair of disembodied hands, continually shuffling cards. The entity known only as the Gambler rips chance and probability apart around it. Enemy attacks falter, they becoming rooted to the spot and then all hell breaks loose as chaos comes to call. A primal entity, empowered by the raw force of chaos the Gambler can be very hard to kill and his powers are theoretically without limit.

happyturtle
2009-04-29, 08:36 AM
It doesn't have to be complicated. Something like:

Recaiden: Lighting speed (20) Wand of fire (15) Energy: 65 (Lighting attack: GoC 19 'POW!' Talic 46 'WHOOSH!') Energy: 65

Took the example from the last game. The attack on GoC got through, the one on Talic did not.

GoC
2009-04-29, 08:54 AM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Rounds will be 48 hours long. 24 hours for giving in actions and then another 24 for post-round actions (Manifestation of the Cosmic Consciousness, Utlity belt, Batman Captions, Holy Exposition!).

EDIT:
:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:
Ok. Teams 2 wins. Selrahc has an unbeatable combo. Each round he activates Big hand of doing things!(Protection) and Big hand of doing things!(Behold My True Form) to become invincible and continuosly gain energy.

So while Selrahc get's kuddos for winning the game so quickly and unexpectedly I'm going to have to houserule on Big hand of doing things!:
You cannot use a one-use power twice via Big hand of doing things!.

Shadowcaller
2009-04-29, 10:02 AM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Rounds will be 48 hours long. 24 hours for giving in actions and then another 24 for post-round actions (Manifestation of the Cosmic Consciousness, Utlity belt, Batman Captions, Holy Exposition!).

EDIT:
:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:
Ok. Teams 2 wins. Selrahc has an unbeatable combo. Each round he activates Big hand of doing things!(Protection) and Big hand of doing things!(Behold My True Form) to become invincible and continuosly gain energy.

So while Selrahc get's kuddos for winning the game so quickly and unexpectedly I'm going to have to houserule on Big hand of doing things!:
You cannot use a one-use power twice via Big hand of doing things!.

Behold my true form can only be used ONCE in the game, therefore that combo would be impossible.

Edit: You could use powers that can only be used once more then once with big hands of doing things?:smallconfused:

GoC
2009-04-29, 10:08 AM
Not quite. You see Big hand of doing things! creates a copy of the original power. While each copy of Behold My True Form can be used only once each there are different copies being used.

Anyway, new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110386) up!