PDA

View Full Version : [Weapon] River of Pain

chaosbrand
2006-08-16, 06:48 AM
River of Pain
This serrated crimson longsword, known as the River of Pain by those who have seen it in action, is dubbed so because of the effects if causes. Whoever is struck by this blade, even when the wound is not deep, will eventually find himself bleeding to death, losing his blood as fast as if he had an open wound - or even faster. The pain when bleeding this way is so intense that one cannot concentrate on his tasks while it is happening.

Whenever a living creature with a discernable anatomy is struck by this +3 longsword, that creature must succeed on a DC 28 Fortitude save or lose an additional 3 hp per round. While bleeding, the DC for all mind-related activities and skills increase by 2. Multiple effects do not stack.

This effect cannot be stopped unless through a Remove Curse or Dispel Magic spell.

This weapon's ability is a Supernatural effect. If dispelled, the wielder may resume it again the next round as a standard action.

onepeople
2006-08-16, 06:49 AM
probably wants a lower fortitude save, and maybe a price?

Mike_Lemmer
2006-08-16, 12:49 PM
I'd have issues with the counters. Dispel Magic & Remove Curse are the last things you would think to use when someone's bleeding out. (My first choice would be Cure or Heal spells.) Plus, assuming each party has an average of 3 Dispel Magics/Remove Curses memorized at any time and the wielder "infects" at least 4 people per battle, that's one guaranteed death unless you have major regeneration abilities.

I'd make one of two changes:
1. Change the counters to something more fitting, such as a Cure Serious Wounds (or higher) or a Heal.
2. Change the effect's display to give visual clues to the players about which spells to use against it. For example:
Upon a successful hit, the skin around the wound turns purple and streaks start spreading from it. The blood is drained from around the streaks.

I'd say the bonus is at least +3, possibly +4.

chaosbrand
2006-08-17, 04:58 AM
I'll compute the price tomorrow, when I have the time. Thanks.

I'd have issues with the counters. Dispel Magic & Remove Curse are the last things you would think to use when someone's bleeding out. (My first choice would be Cure or Heal spells.) Plus, assuming each party has an average of 3 Dispel Magics/Remove Curses memorized at any time and the wielder "infects" at least 4 people per battle, that's one guaranteed death unless you have major regeneration abilities.

I'd make one of two changes:
1. Change the counters to something more fitting, such as a Cure Serious Wounds (or higher) or a Heal.
2. Change the effect's display to give visual clues to the players about which spells to use against it. For example:
Upon a successful hit, the skin around the wound turns purple and streaks start spreading from it. The blood is drained from around the streaks.

I'd say the bonus is at least +3, possibly +4.

I see your point. The first choice would probably be better (less deaths). The bonus would be the tricky part.
If I'm going to tone down the Fort save, it can probably be +3. If not, I'll peg it at +4.