PDA

View Full Version : How to explain Paranoia?

Hyozo
2009-04-22, 01:57 PM
A while ago I offered to run a game of Paranoia for the RPG club at my college. Apparently most of them hadn't heard of the game before and wanted me to explain it to them. Since I hadn't been fully prepared for that, I had to come up with a bit of an explanation on the spot (Paranoia being what it is, there was something to the effect of "Trust me, it IS fun, just in a different way." thrown in there multiple times) but between the hastily thrown together nature of the explanation and some other non-related problems which followed, only one person expressed any interest.

Between some of the games I've sat in on (including one very Paranoia-esque self induced TPK in a Hunter: the vigil campaign) I know that there are several people in the club who would find Paranoia amusing. I just need to know how to explain Paranoia to them in a way that will make them see it that way. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Lycan 01
2009-04-22, 02:08 PM
"Its a game that doesn't take itself seriously. Set in the future, it takes place in a dystopian city run by the Computer. You're a Troubleshooter - somebody paid to find trouble and shoot it. You work together with other Troubleshooters, hunting down Commies, Mutants, and Traitors. Unfortunately, you're all one or more of the above, and you have to strive to keep the other players from finding out. In fact, you'll usually be secretely working against them to accomplish your own secret objective during the mission. If you get caught, or even accused of doing/being anything against the laws set down by the Computer, you'll be shot/blasted/burnt/atomized/evaporated/beaten/flayed/crushed/squished/obliterated/eradicated, or otherwise executed for Treason. But don't worry - you've got a nice batch of Clones on standby just in case.

In other words, try to accomplish your mission without being revealed or killed to many times, and try to complete your secret objective without the rest of your team catching on. If at all possible, try to reveal the rest of your team's secrets - even if you have to make them up. :smallbiggrin:"

streakster
2009-04-22, 02:12 PM
What if Groucho Marx had written 1984?

Eldariel
2009-04-22, 02:19 PM
"It's Orwell's 1984 underground in the future. Oh, and the point of the game is to get your teammates killed; not to worry though, everyone has multiple clones so you aren't out after the inevitable threat."

Alternatively:

"It's a dystopian society under the iron rule of Friend Computer, where players are troubleshooters, or hunters of mutants, secret group members, etc. and each player belongs to a secret group and is a mutant. Game isn't over after death though - you'll simply get a replacement clone."

You might also want to mention "Players aren't allowed to know the rules of the game - that's the whole awesome of it."

chiasaur11
2009-04-22, 02:29 PM
Explaining Paranoia is above your security clearance, citizen. Friend computer feels you aren't ready to learn that information, and you wouldn'tt want to disappoint friend computer, would you?

Mind you, I haven't played, but it seems it's been covered fairly well, descriptionwise. Basically, it's the Tomb of Horrors set in 1984, only your fellow party members want to kill you. With a sense of humor somewhere in the Marx Brothers range. Replace Big Brother with GLaDOS and you're pretty much good to go.

And remember, happiness is mandatory.

TheCountAlucard
2009-04-22, 02:45 PM
Heck, just reading the Wikipedia article on it has gotten me interested, and I'm normally not a fan of PvP at the gaming table...

sonofzeal
2009-04-22, 03:03 PM
This. This wins the tread.

Kurald Galain
2009-04-22, 03:30 PM
This. This wins the tread.

Don't forget to put on those rousing rebel songs by John Lenin!

BRC
2009-04-22, 03:32 PM
Don't forget to put on those rousing rebel songs by John Lenin!
That post constitutes TREASON.
*Terminates Kurald*
Thank you for your cooperation.

chiasaur11
2009-04-22, 03:48 PM
That post constitutes TREASON.
*Terminates Kurald*
Thank you for your cooperation.

No, thank you citizen, for helping Friend Computer help all of Alpha Complex against the communists. Sadly, we have reason to suspect you of communist sympathies, and therefore request that you report to the nearest disintegration chamber. And remember, happiness is mandatory.

BRC
2009-04-22, 03:54 PM
No, thank you citizen, for helping Friend Computer help all of Alpha Complex against the communists. Sadly, we have reason to suspect you of communist sympathies, and therefore request that you report to the nearest disintegration chamber. And remember, happiness is mandatory.
Gladly! However, there is a problem. I am exactly 40 feet from two different disintegration chambers. So which one should i identify as the "closest" and report to.

SolkaTruesilver
2009-04-22, 03:58 PM
Gladly! However, there is a problem. I am exactly 40 feet from two different disintegration chambers. So which one should i identify as the "closest" and report to.

*the right-side chamber explodes*

The closest one, Citizen. You don't want to become even more of a trouble to your fellow citizens, don't you?

Now, go in there like a real patriot and don't follow your communist/mutant instincts that tells you to disobey and run away in that airduct leading to the nearest interrogation center Communist Refuge.

Kurald Galain
2009-04-22, 04:01 PM

Both of them, of course. Not reporting to both of them is treason.

Are you happy, citizen?

Douglas
2009-04-22, 04:03 PM
Violating the Uncertainty Principle is treason. As you have failed to report to the disintegration chamber, a troubleshooter will be sent instead.

*BEEP*

BRC, there is an uncooperative traitor causing trouble near your location. Shoot him immediately.

BRC
2009-04-22, 04:03 PM
Both of them, of course. Not reporting to both of them is treason.

Are you happy, citizen?
Of course I am happy!
*as the right-hand chamber has no longer exploded, he goes to the left-hand chamber, only to find it marked as being reserved for those above security clearance GREEN.*
Edit: Picks up his PCD and reads the message.
"An uncoooperative Traitor! I must find him!"
*Begins pursing self through Alpha Complex*

Waspinator
2009-04-22, 08:26 PM
On a somewhat serious note, assuming you're playing Paranoia XP, there's a book called "The Little Red Book" that is just the player-safe portions of the main rulebook. Showing them that is a nice intro to the game. Showing them the whole book is of course, treason.

dspeyer
2009-04-22, 09:06 PM
The key point to understand about paranoia is that while it's structured like a classic RPG, it's fundamentally PvP. Completing the party's quest successfully may or may not serve your interests. It may be impossible to begin with. The game is really about gathering evidence against other players, which may include blaming them for your mission failures.

Rubicon
2009-04-22, 10:15 PM

I don't know if Groucho ever did anything like this, but the Goons certainly did. (http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s05e15_1985)

chiasaur11
2009-04-22, 10:25 PM
I don't know if Groucho ever did anything like this, but the Goons certainly did. (http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show.asp?title=s05e15_1985)

Well, Groucho cameos, at least.

Kurald Galain
2009-04-23, 02:36 AM
Quoting from Wikipedia,

[the PCs are] Troubleshooters, whose job is to find trouble and shoot it. Frequently the solution involves identifying and terminating mutants and secret society members. The PCs are also almost invariably mutants and members of secret societies, and so are traitors of the very sort feared by The Computer. The PCs are usually given incomprehensible or self-contradicting mission goals, dangerous, faulty or experimental futuristic gizmos as equipment (such as a tactical nuclear grenade marked "Throw Hard!"), as well as contradictory missions from their secret societies. Paranoia missions are typically fatal for the Troubleshooters.

If you don't understand why this is hilarious, Paranoia may not be the game for you :smallbiggrin:

Here's a suggestion that works best in groups that like trying new stuff. Offer to GM Paranoia for them, but don't tell them in advance what the game is about. I played with a group once, where I gave them pregen characters and told them that one of them might be a traitor who would undermine their team (resembling certain TV shows I'm sure you've heard of). Of course, all of them were, but each felt special thinking he was The Mole. The look on their faces when this was revealed in the end was priceless :smallbiggrin:

sambo.
2009-04-23, 10:18 PM
wow, so much treason in this thread......

<3 Paranoia. the BEST pnp RPG ever devised.
i once managed to go through four clones just getting to the mission briefing room. somehow, i'm still not 100% sure exactly how, i managed to get myself promoted to Yellow security clearence on the way.

always remember:
Stay Alert
Trust No-one
Keep Your Laser Handy

bosssmiley
2009-04-24, 05:57 AM

That'd be Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" then. :smallwink:

Bluebeard
2009-04-24, 06:16 AM
My one qualm with Paranoia is since I first played it, every game I've played since has become Paranoia.

In a D&D game, caught myself setting the nice-guy party Cleric up to take the blame for every possible misstep of my Paladin.
Just in case I was found out (doing what, I don't know).

On the plus-side, I think playing Paranoia did good things for a smite-happy detective I played.
He reached conclusions in record time, anyway.

Chineselegolas
2009-04-24, 07:33 AM
wow, so much treason in this thread......

<3 Paranoia. the BEST pnp RPG ever devised.
i once managed to go through four clones just getting to the mission briefing room. somehow, i'm still not 100% sure exactly how, i managed to get myself promoted to Yellow security clearence on the way.
My record was only two used up getting to the briefing room, then another one in the room.
And a fourth on the way to R&D, 5th in R&D.
The 6th somehow survived against the odds until being demoted back to IR to live out his life for some reason...