PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Toned-down Mithral Golem

chaosbrand
2006-08-16, 06:23 AM
Quicksilver Hulk
Description
This twelve feet tall humanoid stands perfectly upright. It has no exaggerated features or tremendously large proportions, unlike other golems. This construct is built through magically-enhanced silver, making it almost liquid, but obviously encased in some resilient armor. Those who cannot afford Mithral Golems usually go with the power of the quicksilver hulk instead, knowing that it would do everything to succeed in its task.

Personality
Quicksilver hulks are mainly war machines, constructed as the special siege weapons that are said to knock any wall down or jump over them. They are much faster than any normal construct seen with human eyes, and they do their best to serve their masters.

Quicksilver Hulk
Size/Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 20d10+30 (140 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 35 (-1 size, +7 Dex, +15 natural, +4 haste), touch 20, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+31
Attack: Slam +27 melee (3d6+12)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +27 melee (3d6+12)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 25, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 13, Cha 1
Special Attacks: Improved disarm, incorporate
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., DR 10/Adamantine, fast healing 5, magic immunity, low-light vision, swiftness
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +13, Will +7
Feats: -
Skills: -
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 21-29 (large), 31-50 (huge)
Level Adjustment: -

A twelve-feet tall humanoid stands vigilantly before you, its entire form seemingly made out of silver. Some of its parts appear to be gelatinous, or even liquid, and it's obviously quicker than the average golem.

Combat
A quicksilver golem’s natural attacks are treated as silver magic weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Improved Disarm (Ex)
A quicksilver golem gains improved disarm as a bonus feat.

Incorporate (Ex)
By taking any silver or silvered equipment and forcefully engulfing it, a quicksilver golem enhances its own power. For every 50 pounds of silver it incorporates, it gains 1 hit dice. Doing so takes a long time, usually 1d4 days for every pound of silver it engulfs. If a quicksilver golem incorporates steel, it can still increase its strength, though every 5 pounds of steel counts only as a pound of silver.

Swiftness (Su)
A quicksilver golem may act as though hasted for as long as it has more than 0 hit points.

Magic Immunity (Ex)
A quicksilver golem is immune to all magical and supernatural effects, except as follows. A slow spell dispels its swiftness, but it may activate it again the next round as a free action.

Creating a quicksilver hulk:
A quicksilver hulk is made out from pure silver weighing at least 5,000 pounds, and its joints need to be treated with rare oils costing up to 12,000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 24 craft check (armorsmithing).

CL 18th; Craft Construct, animate objects, haste, geas/quest, limited wish, caster must be at least 18th level; Price 160,000 gp; Cost 100,000 gp + 6,800 xp.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-16, 01:01 PM
Creation info?

Also, 50 pounds of silver is, IIRC, only 250 GP. That's a bit cheap for an extra hit die.

Jeramiahh
2006-08-16, 03:43 PM
Also, 50 pounds of silver is, IIRC, only 250 GP. That's a bit cheap for an extra hit die.

Doing so takes a long time, usually 1d4 days for every pound of silver it engulfs.

I think that balances it.

Dancing_Zephyr
2006-08-17, 02:54 AM
A couple of things.
1. Why is this golem's dex so high? I only have the first MM, and the most dextrous golem has 9 dex.
2. Constructs are destroyed at 0 hit points so that part of swiftness is redundant.
3. I think the CR may be one too high, however I have little D&D experience, so I may be wrong. That swiftness might be throwing me off.
4. Quicksilver is another name for mercury.
Sorry if my critisim sounded rude. :-/ I like the golem though.

chaosbrand
2006-08-17, 04:55 AM
Added construction, though I wasn't sure on how price and cost is computed, so I just compared it with an iron golem and made a few adjustments.

A couple of things.
1. Why is this golem's dex so high? I only have the first MM, and the most dextrous golem has 9 dex.
2. Constructs are destroyed at 0 hit points so that part of swiftness is redundant.
3. I think the CR may be one too high, however I have little D&D experience, so I may be wrong. That swiftness might be throwing me off.
4. Quicksilver is another name for mercury.
Sorry if my critisim sounded rude. :-/ I like the golem though.

1. The golem focuses mainly on quickness and is magically enhanced to do so. Its almost shifting form allows it its agility and dexterity.

2. Point taken.

3. I'm not too sure, either. Perhaps we have to wait for the more experienced ones to come along, but it seems to be (IMO) balanced as it is.

4. It's just a name.

No problem, criticisms and feedbacks are always welcome. It makes sure that the monster gets better.